Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#651565 - Sun Sep 04 2011 09:45 PM Anonymity on the 'net.
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
SMH story

Here is an interesting story from the Sydney Morning Herald.
What do you think?

I think that many people hide behind the fact that they don't have to use their name to cause all sorts of trouble but I can't see that a company can force people to only use their real name.

Quote:
... governments the world over may eventually put an end to anonymity online .....

I'd like to see them try LOL Surely governments have much bigger fish to fry than that?

#651568 - Sun Sep 04 2011 10:31 PM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: Copago]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Or you could just not sign up for Facebook and Google+.

Really the main focus of the article is Google+ and them requiring a full name. Who's to say you can use Bill Anderson and create 30 accounts using that name. You don't need to verify your name as belonging to you (yet).

I think the key in the article is about half way down:

Quote:
"A pseudonym doesn't make them money even though your reputation may be based on your pseudonym and not on your real name," he says. He added that real names conferred a lot of power. "And Google wants to be the arbiter and broker of that power so that they can be the gatekeeper on all the commerce that happens through it."

And one other part a little further up from that:

Quote:
He believes Google wants your real name because it makes it easier for friends to find you and allows for Google to do data matching for advertisers

It's all about Google driving you to advertisements. That's all that Google (and Facebook to a large extent) has become actually. They make money on advertising to you, that's why their services are "free". Even your search results on Google are paid for so the the highest payers are listed first in your results.

Anyway...it's all about money.

#651570 - Sun Sep 04 2011 11:45 PM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: pyonir]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"Show me your papers. You must have papers."

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#651572 - Mon Sep 05 2011 12:40 AM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: mehaul]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
A few years ago I read an article in the SMH written by one of their tech journos. He had a facebook account with a fake birthday. He often uses a fake birthday online for various websites for security reasons. Facebook emailed him and asked why he didn't use his real birthdate on Facebook. That was the day he deleted his account. I read the article and that was the day I decided I'd never get a Facebook account. How on Earth did they know it wasn't his real birthdate? The less information out there people can use to hack your bank accounts or otherwise do you harm by identity theft the better.

#651577 - Mon Sep 05 2011 01:23 AM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: Tizzabelle]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
A few years ago I read an article in the SMH written by one of their tech journos. He had a facebook account with a fake birthday. He often uses a fake birthday online for various websites for security reasons. Facebook emailed him and asked why he didn't use his real birthdate on Facebook. That was the day he deleted his account. I read the article and that was the day I decided I'd never get a Facebook account. How on Earth did they know it wasn't his real birthdate? The less information out there people can use to hack your bank accounts or otherwise do you harm by identity theft the better.

I will admit to having a "fake" Facebook account. The name is fake, and the birth date is fake. I've never gotten such an email. That said, maybe if I used my real name it would send me an email. Not sure about that.

Facebook has gotten better with their privacy settings...but that's only for users. I still don't trust what they can do with it, and how they claim to "own" information posted on your page. For instance if you upload a picture to Facebook, they then "own" that picture. If a media outlet wants to use your photo for a story, they only have to ask permission from Facebook...they do not have to get permission from you. They don't own the copyright to the picture, but once you upload you give up the rights to use the picture any way they want. All in their terms of service.

#651603 - Mon Sep 05 2011 06:49 AM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: pyonir]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
No one should ever, I repeat ever, use their "real" email address to sign up for things like Facebook. In other words, don't use the email account provided by your ISP but get free "throwaway" accounts from providers like Yahoo and Gmail.

Don't use your real name if you can avoid it or unless you really want to be found by people you were at school with but haven't seen since... if you haven't seen them since why would you want them to find you?

Google+ is seriously out of order for tracking people's names so confound them - set up a throwaway Gmail address and use a different name for that, then when you get Google+ that's what it will call you. Be very careful not to use the same address for other things or you will start to build up a pattern of behaviour they can log.

Keep a watch on news reports of changes to Facebook privacy and make sure you change your settings when you are alerted to it.

My guess is that journalist had used his real birthdate when setting up the email account so they knew there was a difference... if you set up an account with fake details make sure you keep a note of which account has what information and stick to it.

Use good passwords, not the name of your cat or eldest child, and mix numbers and letters. Do not use a recognisable word or your birthday - clearly Facebook knows what that is and Facebook is not the most secure website in the world.

Be very careful what information you put out there. Seriously, people talk too much.

Oh, and I used to be a web professional. We built large secure websites for global organisations. Webbies like me never use online banking, we know how shonky it is, lol.

#651621 - Mon Sep 05 2011 11:10 AM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: flopsymopsy]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
I'm not certain about birthdate but I know there are a number of websites that within several seconds will give you name, address, phone numbers with a few digits 'x'd' out as well as a picture of your house! If you pay for a subscription they claim they'll give you more.

Actually I think the sites list ages. It's obviously easier to find someone with a distinctive name, but, not impossible to find someone. Aggregator sites claim this is publicly available, so, I wonder if it's not a combination of facebook, Google and all the rest.

However, I've tested it with people who've never been on the net at all, and they know the ages, places they live etc.

#651661 - Mon Sep 05 2011 04:51 PM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: Bruyere]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
I find the amount of information that people can access about you quite worrying and scary. I don't have a Facebook Account, or Twitter or Google because I do worry about what they do with the information. I won't use online banking, I don't trust it, there have been too many bad press stories at various times. I don't even shop on line much.

About a year ago my credit card got cloned. The card provider was very good, they actually phoned me about suspicious activity, and it all got sorted out pretty quickly, I didn't loose any money or anything, but the really worrying thing was that I had last used it to renew the car tax on line rather than queue up at the post office. I told the card provider that, and they said that this was one of the most insecure web sites there was for card fraud, and though they couldn't prove it they thought staff members took the numbers and used them. Now as it is a quasi government site that really did worry me. If you can't trust those to be safe then who can you trust.

I now have a second credit card, very low limit, that I use just for any on line purchases I make. I have a transaction limit on it as well. My card provider actually suggested this and if you do purchase on line I think it's a pretty good idea to have a second card just for that purpose.

#664117 - Fri Oct 28 2011 07:57 PM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: Christinap]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
Quote:
... a second credit card, very low limit, that I use just for any on line purchases I make

Excellent idea! I've done that for some years. Before that I was terrified of making any payments online ...

#664317 - Sat Oct 29 2011 11:33 PM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: bloomsby]
aaronjunior Offline
Participant

Loc: Queensland Australia
It's also easier to keep a track of your spending if you use cash rather than a credit card.

#664517 - Sun Oct 30 2011 07:36 PM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: aaronjunior]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I have a credit card, but I never use it - and certainly not online. It has a $23 credit on it and a limit of $100. I only have it because apparently you can't get a good credit rating if you don't have one, despite the fact that NONE of my bills have ever been overdue.

And no, I don't use online banking. For one thing, I don't trust it and I figure if I'm paying $8.50 per month service charges on a chequing account (where you are also charged extra for actual cheques and there are usually only 2 tellers on duty no matter when you show up), then they can darn well send me a printed statement lol. I'm getting tired of banks with the mentality that it's a PRIVILEGE for you to give them your money!

As for identity security on the internet, unless you are using a proxy or something like TOR, anyone who really wants to can pretty well pin you down no matter how much fake information you plug in. Even if you're on a "group/block gateway", they still know where you are within a 5 mile radius.

I think the best security is to not have any personal info ON your computer (don't let windows save passwords or auto fill-ins, don't have any credit/banking info anyone can use stored anywhere etc). Sure, computers are convenient, but I'm a big advocate of pen and paper for "important stuff" : )

#834594 - Sat Oct 27 2012 08:33 AM Re: Anonymity on the 'net. [Re: Jakeroo]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
That, to me, speaks of legislating morality—and since when is that acceptable?

“Show me the money.”
“It’s all about money.”
“Money, money, money: I need more money.”
“Me, me, me: it’s all about me, me, me.”

I have a Facebook account, but I rarely use it. The site’s constantly emailing me about notifications pending and other stuff—and, when I go on, a welcoming me back email.
My screenreader doesn’t interact well with Facebook, probably because of all of the graphics on the site.
I know people who spend hours on the site, playing games and what have you. Again, due to my reader I don’t do that—if I try, I risk my system crashing.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943