Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#835458 - Tue Oct 30 2012 03:02 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Update on Mom:

Her workplace is still without power. “The generators work, but they don’t cover everything, so certain areas are without heat…”

All I can say to that is: **What a *mess!

In other news, I saw the news earlier with a segment involving the President speaking to the Red Cross. He stated that he doesn’t want to see any bureaucratcy and red tape in dealing with this disaster, and if anyone’s hindered from doing his/her job, they’re to call him at the White House.r

#835482 - Tue Oct 30 2012 06:11 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
In Alexandria, VA high tide is coming soon and they're worried about additional flooding because of it tonight.

Editor for Television Category

#835485 - Tue Oct 30 2012 07:37 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: ladymacb29]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
The center (eye/iris/pupil?) is still over Western Pennsylvania 12 hours after the last posting of its location. It now will take some new meteorological event to kick start its movement resuming. Oh oh, there's nothing on the maps! All that energy is going to stay where it is until it expends itself in lifting and moving moisture through the atmosphere at high speeds. We're still getting 20 mph winds from it here in SE FL. Canada north of Chicago is now in the wind field as is Canada north of Maine.

Didn't this thing pass over Bermuda? Wasn't that about the pivot point that the storm did its left turn into New Jersey? I never saw any reports about what has happened to those folks.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#835493 - Tue Oct 30 2012 08:39 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Newscasters are saying they never saw anything like this before, and they hope they never do again.

Mom's friend Stephanie, who used to be in a hospital in Hershey but is now in a local nursing home, didn't answer the phone when Mom called tonight. I think, had Mom not been so tired, she'd have gone to visit Steph instead of calling.

#835875 - Thu Nov 01 2012 09:31 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Nursing home *still* without power. Mom and staff are doing the best they can with what they have.

My thoughts are with those still struggling to get past this storm.

#835953 - Thu Nov 01 2012 02:58 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Update: Nursing home got power back around 3 PM.

Charlie and Anita were driving around in their car last night to try and keep warm. Michael offered them a propane heater, but though Charlie a ccepted it he seems not to have used it. Ah, well—their power’s restored now.

#835956 - Thu Nov 01 2012 02:59 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
My friend on Staten Island says school is cancelled until at least November 12.

Editor for Television Category

#836287 - Sat Nov 03 2012 04:10 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: ladymacb29]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
The kids will be pleased. What a pity the circumstances causing it are so sad though.

#836340 - Sat Nov 03 2012 06:59 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: sue943]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Look at the major disasters we experience as communal creatures who love to live near the sea. We stand in the way of tsunamis, hurricanes and by being seaside, even earthquakes impact shore living. Much of our recovery effort is hindered by the inability to bring supplies to the effected sites. We need to develop a navy of shallow water capable response vessels to bring relief from the water side of these disasters. Sure we've stationed Naval ships offshore but the only benefit we get from them really is as floating hospitals and helicopter pads. The hospitals are good. But we need the type of capability that was expressed after D-day when artificial harbors were thrown up overnight. Then we can offload all the heavy equipment and supplies needed to begin the recoveries and get the folks back on their feet. One nation should take the lead on this and spend the effort to define what that navy would look like then give the specs away to the rest of the world.

The first transition vessel that might be used in its current configuration are amphibious hovercraft to use them instead of plows to clean streets of sand so trucks can get through.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 03 2012 10:00 AM)

#836364 - Sat Nov 03 2012 09:56 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
BxBarracuda Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
The kids on Staten Island may be happy now, but no schools open means single parents and households with two working parents have to scramble for ways to look after the kids or take time off work. From what I know, there are only a certain number of school days each year set aside for emergency school closings like this, usually for snow days, and the maximum number of days allotted for emergency school closures each year I think is 6, any number over that will mean that the school year for those schools will have to be extended, taking out of their summer vacations.

The big issue, other than the power outages, tree clearing and other damage around New York City, Long Island and New Jersey has been gas shortages. For days almost all gas stations have been out of gas, it started getting better Friday. Those stations that get gas, even Friday, have lines that are miles and hours long, even at 4 A.M., once word gets out that they have gas. Police have to be at stations to prevent people from trying to push into the line and prevent those that are in line from blocking other traffic, which if the police aren’t there just as a presence leads to screaming matches at the frustration of trying to get gas and people just trying to get past the lines and continue down the road. Gas stations have also started singling out one pump for people filling up the gas cans for their generators in areas where power is still not fully restored. The gas station we were able to fill up at yesterday was actually running of generator power themselves.

#836382 - Sat Nov 03 2012 11:07 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: BxBarracuda]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Several years ago, Florida legislated that all gas stations had to have generators in order to keep their licenses. I think some provisions let some slide but most now are so equipped.

Here's a rub, even if you have generators, ala NYC Hospitals, it doesn't mean that they'll run without failure. I do not recall that the Florida statutes require periodic testing by the state bureau of standards when they verify pump quantity readouts. So those Sunshine state's generators may fail to work when needed if they aren't proved to be functional from time to time.

Part of the NYC problem is the flooding which occurred at the lowest tunnel depths. Here's an idea that was found useful in the greatest of European and mid-Eastern cities for millenia: excavate large cisterns to act as catch basins. Drain the transit lines and building basements into a lower cavern/cistern.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 03 2012 12:43 PM)

#836407 - Sat Nov 03 2012 01:54 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

As fortunate as we were, certain areas are still experiencing problems getting power to stay on once it’s on. I think it was Thursday that Mom’s nursing home got power back, and today one of its buildings went out again. She may have to go to the office, depending on the situation there.

#836411 - Sat Nov 03 2012 02:45 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York City
From Monday evening, until this morning, I had no electric, no heat, and no mobile service. (I have a landline, so was able to communicate.)

The good thing is, there is no damage to my house - only a few downed branches in the yard smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943