Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#834683 - Sat Oct 27 2012 05:22 PM East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm"
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Today I saw an article on boston.com about the latest major weather system to hit our area: Hurricane Sandy, expected to touch down sometime tomorrow evening.

Pennsylvania doesn't normally get hurricanes, so when it does--or when it could--it's a big deal.

The article is found at: http://www.boston.com/news/weather/2012/...JdDL/story.html

Last year, the major systems were the Northeaster at the end of October and Hurricane Lee in September.

We're under a flood watch and a high wind warning from tomorrow into Tuesday.

#834707 - Sat Oct 27 2012 06:34 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

[quote=Jazmee27]We're under a flood watch and a high wind warning from tomorrow into Tuesday.]

Oops--both are watches at this time (I just checked NFB-Newsline, where I get my newspapers and TV listings-recently, they started giving weather alerts for each area as well.

I'm preparing for the worst case scenario, starting with washing all my dishes. Then I'm going to charge my cell phone--the prediction is that Tuesday and Wednesday will see the worst of this.

I was talking to Mom, and brought up the possibility that the storm will likely interfere with my groceries (I order on Monday, but most often they're delivered on Wednesday). She told me not to worry, because she's cooking food for the both of us for this week. (Besides, I have some yet.) I'll still call Monday, like usual, but if they don't come, it's no big deal.

She also went to the store today to stock up on some things she'llneed (and she got stuff for me, being the loving mother that she is
).

#834844 - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:13 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Mom's on her way into work, as there are things she needs to take care of at the office that can't wait for tomorrow.

My schedule for the day, after my bath, includes taking out the trash and recycling, and going down for the mail (I didn't since Monday, as I just didn't feel well enough to).

#834899 - Sun Oct 28 2012 12:04 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Jazmee,

I'm in North Carolina, and the worst of the storm has passed us. I'm far enough inland that I will only have to deal with high winds. The coast will be cleaning up and dealing with flooding.

Be careful the next few days. This is a huge storm.

#834966 - Sun Oct 28 2012 05:38 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Thanks, SilverMoonsong smile

We're now under a high wind *warning* and the flood watch I mentioned yesterday (both advisories take effect tomorrow and go into Tuesday).

I'm fortunate, to some extent, to live in government housing because whatever damage will most likely not be as bad here.

Plus, I'm on the fifth floor (a concern would be the wind, if it gets too bad).

I'm hoping the utilities won't go out, but if they do at least I knew to expect they might.

Whenever potential flooding's discussed, I worry for my grandmother: she has a creek practically in her backyard. (The concern is much more due to her stroke in July. She has some sort of appointment scheduled tomorrow, so...)

Another concern is that Mom will need to rush over to the office at any time after the storm hits (reminds me of when Lee hit: she had to rush out there when the elevator flooded and their power went out--at 2:30 in the morning--at least, that's when they called her to let her know. Unfortunately, hers was also knocked out--the power, that is--and her landline phone was messed up, to give an added bonus. A few days later, I also had the phone issue. As for Grandma, she had flooding in her basement *and* a power outage! And let's not forget that was prior to her stroke frown Also, conditions were so bad the building's administrator couldn't make it to work (she had to pump water out of her cellar, among other things).

That was September--and then Grandma lost power again the end of October when the northeaster hit. My friend had to cancel plans to come over due to the storm. (Actually, that's when Mom and I likely had our landline issues--I was told, when I called the company, that if the problem wasn't "in our network," then I'd have to pay to fix it. Apparently it was, however, because it was resolved the next day (I was able to call out and receive incoming calls). smile

#834968 - Sun Oct 28 2012 06:18 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
A week after the derecho, the tree in front of our house blew over in a storm (thankfully hit no one), then in early September, we were almost hit by a falling tree in a freak storm.

I'm so paranoid/scared of trees right now I'm planning a two day sleepover in the living room so we keep our daughter off the top floor of our house - we back up to a lot of tall trees. We're putting her to bed in her room right now but will move her downstairs when I go 'to bed' in the living room on the first floor. (Basement carpet still needs to be cleaned since when our cat was ill this summer or else I'd be camping out down there!)

Editor for Television Category

#834972 - Sun Oct 28 2012 06:49 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: ladymacb29]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I’m somewhat paranoid myself, since the wind whistles by my bedroom. It’s so loud, there’s no way anything’s going to sleep through it. Also, I’m afraid for my bird if I’m sleeping in the bedroom and something should happen (these windows are supposedly built of hurricane-proof glass, but how do I know?) Last year when Irene hit, there was a concern about wind so I took the precaution of sleeping on the couch with my head toward the birdcage and the little guy’s cover on. That time, the precaution was unnecessary, but that was the experience in which I decided that, no matter how silly it feels, I’d rather take the safety precaution and later remark how it wasn’t needed than not take them and be sorry after.)

That’s why the building where I live has occasional fire drills—to prepare us tenants for the inevitability that a fire could happen at any time (though we haven’t had a drill for a while, as the alarm keeps being set off for other, unrelated, reasons—like the time it went blaring at two in the morning. I think I’m still traumatized over that—turns out, one of the smoke detectors malfunctioned and had to be replaced. The alarm then went off the next day as they were trying to replace it.)

Just remembered, speaking of the fire alarm, the time that maintenance sh9ut off the water to fix something. Alarm went off then, too, due to reduced water pressure (there’s always a possibility of that happening again at a time when they’re not fixing anything, like if something were to happen tonight).

Like I said, I’m preparing for the worst—and praying fervently to any universal entity that will listen that that worst doesn’t happen.

By the way, one of said precautions includes turning off the power strip and unplugging things.

#834977 - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:14 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Or maybe I'll sleep in my own bed tonight and the couch tomorrow, as the high winds are expected to start at eight tomorrow morning. (If I set the alarm for 6:45, that should be more than enough time for me to wake up)

I'm still switching off the power strip, though smile

#834985 - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:46 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
superfan123 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
"I'm so paranoid/scared of trees right now I'm planning a two day sleepover in the living room so we keep our daughter off the top floor of our house - we back up to a lot of tall trees."
Dendrophobia, perhaps?

In my area, first earthquake, then hurricane... no school tomorrow... second year in a row in my area where Halloween's been postponed (last year was a freak blizzard)... people say these are signs of the end of the world.

#834993 - Sun Oct 28 2012 10:06 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: superfan123]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

It was drizzling earlier, but now it isn't doing anything. Do I hear "calm before the storm"?

#835064 - Mon Oct 29 2012 04:32 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Just watching some on the news just now ... scary stuff.

Stay safe, FTers!

#835066 - Mon Oct 29 2012 05:01 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Copago]
underscored Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
All of my thoughts are with you as you weather yet another storm. Thoughts for the safety of you and yours. May you all come through safe and sound. Stay Safe. Please. Cathy

#835078 - Mon Oct 29 2012 06:45 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: underscored]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

My thoughts go out to everyone effected by this.

I was watching a segment of the news where the mayor of Philadelphia was talking about how the temperature’s dropping and the winds are beginning to pick up.

So far, nothing here, although it’s quite cool and I could tell when I opened the window (it’s hotter than blazes in here—a marker of how the ladies downstairs blast their heat) that the temperature was just as cool, if not cooler, than last night. I’m not sure, but the wind may have picked up just a bit—but not much. Of course, it’s still early yet.

I don’t intend to keep the bedroom window open longer than I have to, but right now that’s the easiest way for me to know what’s happening outside.

#835082 - Mon Oct 29 2012 07:17 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Wow--West Virginia's getting rain now, and snow later!

#835093 - Mon Oct 29 2012 08:26 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just walked into bedroom, and wind definetly picked up (there are actually two windows, and only the inner one is closed now--should the wind get really bad, I'll have to open it so that I can close the outer).

Just saw on the news the forecast for flooding in Manhattan.

#835114 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:02 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Raining lightly again.

#835118 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:14 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

When I called to order groceries, I was told the store *may* be closed tomorrow (it was too soon to tel), and that if they weren't delivered Wednesday they'd come out Thursday.

And I saw on the news that roads in Connecticut have been shut down

The storm's been called a "tropical winter cyclone" and a lot of discussion about "the perfect storm" is taking place.

#835123 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:27 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Here's an interesting site that discusses weather systems: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/educate/tropstrm.shtml.

#835127 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:43 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Raced to close window before heavy rains soaked bed and floor

Sue (not the administrator) just came up to give me magazines (there were four boxes and three envelopes).

Don't know where our administrator is, but suspect she's already having a hectic week.

Suspect the same for Mom--and Grandma had to call this morning to make sure her doctor was in (she was, so Grandma left me a message saying she'd call later).

#835129 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:53 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Here's another site I found while trying to familiarize myself (until the other day I never even *heard* of this "perfect storm" they're talking about): http://weather.about.com/od/e/g/ext_cyclones.htm.

#835131 - Mon Oct 29 2012 10:18 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

My thoughts are with those already without power. Things are really getting tense frown

#835135 - Mon Oct 29 2012 10:52 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Jazmee,

The "Perfect Storm" was a HUGE storm system (I think it was 3 storms converging into one monster storm system) from 1991, and a movie was actually made about it. Here's a link to the details about the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177971/

#835149 - Mon Oct 29 2012 12:38 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Thanks for that link and explanation.

If I remember correctly, I saw it at an Imax theatre shortly after its release. Unfortunately, I didn't pay that close attention (I was only around eighteen at the time). Probably also explains why I didn't realize the film was based on a real event.

#835150 - Mon Oct 29 2012 12:41 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just spoke to Grandma. She got home from her appointment OK. She did say, though, that the creek looks higher than normal (to be expected when it’s raining on and off like it is). She’s washing my uncle’s bedding in anticipation of losing electric aconditions worsen.

As for me, it's time to get some exercise before the
stress level builds smile

#835161 - Mon Oct 29 2012 01:16 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
We were evacuated from Rehoboth Beach yesterday and are riding out the storm in DC rather than head back to NYC. A lot of rain, but the wind isn't too bad yet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943