Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#834683 - Sat Oct 27 2012 05:22 PM East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm"
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Today I saw an article on boston.com about the latest major weather system to hit our area: Hurricane Sandy, expected to touch down sometime tomorrow evening.

Pennsylvania doesn't normally get hurricanes, so when it does--or when it could--it's a big deal.

The article is found at: http://www.boston.com/news/weather/2012/...JdDL/story.html

Last year, the major systems were the Northeaster at the end of October and Hurricane Lee in September.

We're under a flood watch and a high wind warning from tomorrow into Tuesday.

#834707 - Sat Oct 27 2012 06:34 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

[quote=Jazmee27]We're under a flood watch and a high wind warning from tomorrow into Tuesday.]

Oops--both are watches at this time (I just checked NFB-Newsline, where I get my newspapers and TV listings-recently, they started giving weather alerts for each area as well.

I'm preparing for the worst case scenario, starting with washing all my dishes. Then I'm going to charge my cell phone--the prediction is that Tuesday and Wednesday will see the worst of this.

I was talking to Mom, and brought up the possibility that the storm will likely interfere with my groceries (I order on Monday, but most often they're delivered on Wednesday). She told me not to worry, because she's cooking food for the both of us for this week. (Besides, I have some yet.) I'll still call Monday, like usual, but if they don't come, it's no big deal.

She also went to the store today to stock up on some things she'llneed (and she got stuff for me, being the loving mother that she is
).

#834844 - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:13 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Mom's on her way into work, as there are things she needs to take care of at the office that can't wait for tomorrow.

My schedule for the day, after my bath, includes taking out the trash and recycling, and going down for the mail (I didn't since Monday, as I just didn't feel well enough to).

#834899 - Sun Oct 28 2012 12:04 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Jazmee,

I'm in North Carolina, and the worst of the storm has passed us. I'm far enough inland that I will only have to deal with high winds. The coast will be cleaning up and dealing with flooding.

Be careful the next few days. This is a huge storm.

#834966 - Sun Oct 28 2012 05:38 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Thanks, SilverMoonsong smile

We're now under a high wind *warning* and the flood watch I mentioned yesterday (both advisories take effect tomorrow and go into Tuesday).

I'm fortunate, to some extent, to live in government housing because whatever damage will most likely not be as bad here.

Plus, I'm on the fifth floor (a concern would be the wind, if it gets too bad).

I'm hoping the utilities won't go out, but if they do at least I knew to expect they might.

Whenever potential flooding's discussed, I worry for my grandmother: she has a creek practically in her backyard. (The concern is much more due to her stroke in July. She has some sort of appointment scheduled tomorrow, so...)

Another concern is that Mom will need to rush over to the office at any time after the storm hits (reminds me of when Lee hit: she had to rush out there when the elevator flooded and their power went out--at 2:30 in the morning--at least, that's when they called her to let her know. Unfortunately, hers was also knocked out--the power, that is--and her landline phone was messed up, to give an added bonus. A few days later, I also had the phone issue. As for Grandma, she had flooding in her basement *and* a power outage! And let's not forget that was prior to her stroke frown Also, conditions were so bad the building's administrator couldn't make it to work (she had to pump water out of her cellar, among other things).

That was September--and then Grandma lost power again the end of October when the northeaster hit. My friend had to cancel plans to come over due to the storm. (Actually, that's when Mom and I likely had our landline issues--I was told, when I called the company, that if the problem wasn't "in our network," then I'd have to pay to fix it. Apparently it was, however, because it was resolved the next day (I was able to call out and receive incoming calls). smile

#834968 - Sun Oct 28 2012 06:18 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
A week after the derecho, the tree in front of our house blew over in a storm (thankfully hit no one), then in early September, we were almost hit by a falling tree in a freak storm.

I'm so paranoid/scared of trees right now I'm planning a two day sleepover in the living room so we keep our daughter off the top floor of our house - we back up to a lot of tall trees. We're putting her to bed in her room right now but will move her downstairs when I go 'to bed' in the living room on the first floor. (Basement carpet still needs to be cleaned since when our cat was ill this summer or else I'd be camping out down there!)

Editor for Television Category

#834972 - Sun Oct 28 2012 06:49 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: ladymacb29]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I’m somewhat paranoid myself, since the wind whistles by my bedroom. It’s so loud, there’s no way anything’s going to sleep through it. Also, I’m afraid for my bird if I’m sleeping in the bedroom and something should happen (these windows are supposedly built of hurricane-proof glass, but how do I know?) Last year when Irene hit, there was a concern about wind so I took the precaution of sleeping on the couch with my head toward the birdcage and the little guy’s cover on. That time, the precaution was unnecessary, but that was the experience in which I decided that, no matter how silly it feels, I’d rather take the safety precaution and later remark how it wasn’t needed than not take them and be sorry after.)

That’s why the building where I live has occasional fire drills—to prepare us tenants for the inevitability that a fire could happen at any time (though we haven’t had a drill for a while, as the alarm keeps being set off for other, unrelated, reasons—like the time it went blaring at two in the morning. I think I’m still traumatized over that—turns out, one of the smoke detectors malfunctioned and had to be replaced. The alarm then went off the next day as they were trying to replace it.)

Just remembered, speaking of the fire alarm, the time that maintenance sh9ut off the water to fix something. Alarm went off then, too, due to reduced water pressure (there’s always a possibility of that happening again at a time when they’re not fixing anything, like if something were to happen tonight).

Like I said, I’m preparing for the worst—and praying fervently to any universal entity that will listen that that worst doesn’t happen.

By the way, one of said precautions includes turning off the power strip and unplugging things.

#834977 - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:14 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Or maybe I'll sleep in my own bed tonight and the couch tomorrow, as the high winds are expected to start at eight tomorrow morning. (If I set the alarm for 6:45, that should be more than enough time for me to wake up)

I'm still switching off the power strip, though smile

#834985 - Sun Oct 28 2012 08:46 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
superfan123 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
"I'm so paranoid/scared of trees right now I'm planning a two day sleepover in the living room so we keep our daughter off the top floor of our house - we back up to a lot of tall trees."
Dendrophobia, perhaps?

In my area, first earthquake, then hurricane... no school tomorrow... second year in a row in my area where Halloween's been postponed (last year was a freak blizzard)... people say these are signs of the end of the world.

#834993 - Sun Oct 28 2012 10:06 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: superfan123]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

It was drizzling earlier, but now it isn't doing anything. Do I hear "calm before the storm"?

#835064 - Mon Oct 29 2012 04:32 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Just watching some on the news just now ... scary stuff.

Stay safe, FTers!

#835066 - Mon Oct 29 2012 05:01 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Copago]
underscored Offline
Explorer

Loc: Bendigo Victoria Australia   
All of my thoughts are with you as you weather yet another storm. Thoughts for the safety of you and yours. May you all come through safe and sound. Stay Safe. Please. Cathy

#835078 - Mon Oct 29 2012 06:45 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: underscored]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

My thoughts go out to everyone effected by this.

I was watching a segment of the news where the mayor of Philadelphia was talking about how the temperature’s dropping and the winds are beginning to pick up.

So far, nothing here, although it’s quite cool and I could tell when I opened the window (it’s hotter than blazes in here—a marker of how the ladies downstairs blast their heat) that the temperature was just as cool, if not cooler, than last night. I’m not sure, but the wind may have picked up just a bit—but not much. Of course, it’s still early yet.

I don’t intend to keep the bedroom window open longer than I have to, but right now that’s the easiest way for me to know what’s happening outside.

#835082 - Mon Oct 29 2012 07:17 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Wow--West Virginia's getting rain now, and snow later!

#835093 - Mon Oct 29 2012 08:26 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just walked into bedroom, and wind definetly picked up (there are actually two windows, and only the inner one is closed now--should the wind get really bad, I'll have to open it so that I can close the outer).

Just saw on the news the forecast for flooding in Manhattan.

#835114 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:02 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Raining lightly again.

#835118 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:14 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

When I called to order groceries, I was told the store *may* be closed tomorrow (it was too soon to tel), and that if they weren't delivered Wednesday they'd come out Thursday.

And I saw on the news that roads in Connecticut have been shut down

The storm's been called a "tropical winter cyclone" and a lot of discussion about "the perfect storm" is taking place.

#835123 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:27 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Here's an interesting site that discusses weather systems: http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/educate/tropstrm.shtml.

#835127 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:43 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Raced to close window before heavy rains soaked bed and floor

Sue (not the administrator) just came up to give me magazines (there were four boxes and three envelopes).

Don't know where our administrator is, but suspect she's already having a hectic week.

Suspect the same for Mom--and Grandma had to call this morning to make sure her doctor was in (she was, so Grandma left me a message saying she'd call later).

#835129 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:53 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Here's another site I found while trying to familiarize myself (until the other day I never even *heard* of this "perfect storm" they're talking about): http://weather.about.com/od/e/g/ext_cyclones.htm.

#835131 - Mon Oct 29 2012 10:18 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

My thoughts are with those already without power. Things are really getting tense frown

#835135 - Mon Oct 29 2012 10:52 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Jazmee,

The "Perfect Storm" was a HUGE storm system (I think it was 3 storms converging into one monster storm system) from 1991, and a movie was actually made about it. Here's a link to the details about the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177971/

#835149 - Mon Oct 29 2012 12:38 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: SilverMoonsong]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Thanks for that link and explanation.

If I remember correctly, I saw it at an Imax theatre shortly after its release. Unfortunately, I didn't pay that close attention (I was only around eighteen at the time). Probably also explains why I didn't realize the film was based on a real event.

#835150 - Mon Oct 29 2012 12:41 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Just spoke to Grandma. She got home from her appointment OK. She did say, though, that the creek looks higher than normal (to be expected when it’s raining on and off like it is). She’s washing my uncle’s bedding in anticipation of losing electric aconditions worsen.

As for me, it's time to get some exercise before the
stress level builds smile

#835161 - Mon Oct 29 2012 01:16 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
We were evacuated from Rehoboth Beach yesterday and are riding out the storm in DC rather than head back to NYC. A lot of rain, but the wind isn't too bad yet.

#835185 - Mon Oct 29 2012 03:10 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: bubblesfun]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Stay safe.

Wind's not too bad here yet either, and it's only raining on and off.

We're now under a flood *warning*, wind *warning*, and some other advisories.

And Mom just called to let me know the wind has picked up, so it's time to get some water out of the refrigerator and eat dinner.

#835186 - Mon Oct 29 2012 03:13 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
ladymacb29 Offline

Storm is supposed to get stronger once it makes landfall. I'm thinking we're going to sleep in the basement, despite the sick cat smell we haven't fully eradicated yet...

#835198 - Mon Oct 29 2012 03:59 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: ladymacb29]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I went overboard wih the water: grabbed nine bottles and plopped them on the counter. Then ate a salad. Then went into my room and put pajamas on. Oh, forgot put the kitchen and living room lights on (I dont need them, but they sure do comfort me).

If the power goes out, at least I have plenty to read... (not to mention a boatload of bottled waer).

#835215 - Mon Oct 29 2012 04:35 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I wasn't able to really listen to all the advisories for my area until now, so here are my notes:

Area flood warning until 11:15

“Turn around, don’t drown.”

Warning for Swetara Creek through Wednesday at 10:34

Another warning until Thursday morning

High wind warning through tomorrow afternoon

Flood watch through tomorrow evening

Flood advisory through just after midnight

Edit to add a post-script of sorts:
So the list includes three flood warnings (I guess, issued by differen counties or townships), a flood watch, a flood advisory, and a high wind warning.

Edited by Jazmee27 (Mon Oct 29 2012 04:40 PM)

#835236 - Mon Oct 29 2012 05:41 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Most stores (and schools) in the area are closed, but one grocery near Mom and I is still open (don't they see how bad things are projected to become?)

My one friend used to be local, so he still monitors weather and news for the area. I'm jealous: he now lives in Colorado, and where he is it's sunny frown

My one friend said we're supposed to get snow showers one day this week--talk about weird weather smile

#835240 - Mon Oct 29 2012 06:06 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

It's official now--Sandy *is* a post-tropical cyclone

#835242 - Mon Oct 29 2012 06:21 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

On CNN just now, I heard that "at least one casualty of this storm has [been confirmed:] a man died when a tree fell on him."

#835259 - Mon Oct 29 2012 08:03 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

OK, now I'm mad: my cell phone died while I was watching a movie. frown frown frown frown

I thought, "What the ---, I just charged it Saturday!"

Stalked into my room, where I didn't want to be, to plug in the piece of ***.

**My phone is *possessed. frown

**My electronics (tape recorder and Braille notetaker) are *possessed. frown frown

#835261 - Mon Oct 29 2012 08:09 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Power's out at Mom's office frown

Wind's picking up even more, she said

So far, both I and she still have electric--but who knows if we will come morning.

Off to cover bird, who *really* doesn't like when I do that!

#835276 - Mon Oct 29 2012 09:26 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Battling network coverages:

TWC The Weather Channel: Nonstop weather from many vantage points.

MSNBC NBC's News channel: Same

CNN: Same

Fox News: Political coverage, heavily in favor of the Republicans, dissing everything about the president except his Emergency Management skills, occasional studio reports of the weather

Some big stories:
1) A fallen crane hanging dangerously loose almost 1,000 feet above the streets of NYC
2) The NYSE flooded with 3 feet inside covering the exchange floor (though one network says this report is false, the NYSE is heavily sandbagged, then the other guys report that the basements of many old bldgs are interconnected and it could be flooded by some other bldg getting flooded! but they don't cite which other bldg)
3) The surge at high tide in South Manhattan Island is at a record 13.5 feet above normal.
4) 2.8 million are without power
5) High tide comes at midnight in Massavhusetts (10PM FTTime) and the mouths of most rivers are already at record high surge levels.
6) Atlantic City, New Jersey (point of landfall) is completely under water.
7) Automobile Tunnels and Subways in NYC are beginning to fill with water (This could shut down NYC for weeks and impair full functioning for months IMHO)
8) Strange: with all the wind storm stories, no notes of tornadoes have been reported.
9) The surge in NYC is a Triple whammy with Long Island Sound water pushed at it from the East, the harbor water to the south pushing at it from the South and all the run-off water flowing down the Hudson River pushing at it from three sides: North, West and Northeast. All converging on the Big Apple.
10) Philadelphia is expected to have similar flooding, a bit less of the surge but more of the river run-off.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Oct 29 2012 09:42 PM)

#835287 - Mon Oct 29 2012 10:46 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: mehaul
Battling network coverages:

TWC The Weather Channel: Nonstop weather from many vantage points.

MSNBC NBC's News channel: Same

CNN: Same

Fox News: Political coverage, heavily in favor of the Republicans, dissing everything about the president except his Emergency Management skills, occasional studio reports of the weather

Current TV is also covering the storm, non-stop. They also showed some video clips of Romney saying he thinks that America can't afford FEMA and in fact it's immoral to fund agencies like FEMA! There was extended discussion on what the Romney/Ryan budget would do to FEMA (decimate it).

They also show how Obama isn't really the Green Prez either, although Romney's worse. (Showed how in the debate how each man tried to top each other on pro-drilling.) So there's some coverage of the whole question of global climate change, too. But the coverage is mostly Hurricane Sandy (and some of the political ramifications of the storm -- really the only channel doing that.)

The Time-Warner YNN channel here in upstate NY is covering the storm, but they are also doing a lot of regular news coverage.

Edited by gracious1 (Mon Oct 29 2012 10:58 PM)

#835297 - Mon Oct 29 2012 11:51 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: gracious1]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Can we not make this about politics but just the people trying to get through the night? That would be great. There are people in a lot of our nation tonight just trying to get through, and the politics are silly to them.

Edited by bubblesfun (Mon Oct 29 2012 11:54 PM)

#835319 - Tue Oct 30 2012 12:57 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: bubblesfun]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Within an hour the figure of estimated folks without power about doubled to 5.3 million.

This figure is hard to pin down to meaning. I think it comes from the power companies and represents the accounts that aren't on the grid which would mean that more than 10 million actual people are without electricity. The population of the Northeast corridor is 50 million people.

It was estimated that 5 feet of snow could fall on western Virginia but that figure has come down to 3 feet.

A Fire Rescue spokesman in New Jersey said they were stuck in their building and had just gone through about five minutes of hearing nothing but Pow Pow Pow ... guessing that each of the pows was a tree being snapped in two (me - Tornado?).

#835331 - Tue Oct 30 2012 03:31 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
SilverMoonsong Offline

I thought we were going to get through unscathed, but when Sandy turned, she grew, and we've been getting rained on ever since. We've still been very lucky compared to others - I haven't lost power and Raleigh isn't prone to flooding. We've still got a full day of rain and high winds ahead, so here's hoping the power stays on.

I hope the rest of you are staying safe north of me!

#835339 - Tue Oct 30 2012 04:42 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: SilverMoonsong]
JaneMarple Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: North West of England
Please keep safe, all Funtrivia friends, my thoughts are with you all xxx

#835341 - Tue Oct 30 2012 04:55 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
To all fellow FTers suffering through this major event on the eastern seaboard of the US and presumably into Canada too... I sincerely hope you and yours, and to a lesser extent all that you own, emerge safe and sound out the other end. My best wishes and prayers are for you all. Take care.
Mike

#835351 - Tue Oct 30 2012 05:58 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
pmarney Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Norfolk England UK            
Looks bad on the TV News, I hope everyone is OK and keep themselves out of harms way, good luck

#835383 - Tue Oct 30 2012 07:21 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: pmarney]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Break of day power outage figure: 7 million.

A fire (said to be started by an exploding power transformer, but yet to be a sure reason) has destroyed 50 houses and is currently burning 25 more in a NYC burough (Brooklyn I think). The blaze is jaw-dropping to look at occurring in the middle of what is now called a Superstorm.

It is believed the surge reached 14 feet in the NYC area.

A berm/coastal barrier broke through and three communities in New Jersey are flooded and hundreds are on rooftops awaiting rescue.

The three NYC area airports are closed due to safety reasons. They were completely flooded being sea level facilities. They will not open again until all systems that are involved in flying safety can be inspected. Somehow Boston, Philidelphia, Baltimore and Washington area airports are open (meaning they do not need inspection) but will be seeing no take off or landings in any commercial sense for at least another day.

I hope these notes help some that have power but may have only had satellite dishes that were lost to the winds to bring the news and are still on the net with wireless devices.

Winds are expected to drop below the 40 MILE per hour by this evening. And then there can still be clear air turbulence that can bring gusts. Damaged trees and other structures could still fail during the day today.

The NJ Governor and the Alantic City mayor, in the middle of this disaster had a brief back and forth over the fact that several hundred need to be rescued in Atlantic City. The Gov had ordered a manditory evacuation and the Mayor had advised later that those who had stayed behind to shelter in place (I think they were both right and it was the tension of the situation that made the exchange contentious). Who cares guys. Get the people to safety if possible.

A 700 foot long/700 ton water tanker (?) has run ashore on Staten Island. It now sits entirely out of the water on the beach and adjacent road. It had been moored offshore and broke loose in the high sea conditions. (Does some part of NYC use floating tankers as water reservoirs?)

EDIT to add: Two storm flanking sewage treatment plants (1@Maryland & 1@Connecticut) have been taken offline. (I might speculate that they were backflushed by storm surge waters and need inspecting before coming back on line.)
Update: the NYSE is closed today making it the first time since 1888 that is has been closed two business days in a row.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Oct 30 2012 07:52 AM)

#835388 - Tue Oct 30 2012 08:25 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
ladymacb29 Offline

DC made it out ok - maybe that derecho we had earlier this year took out everything that would have come down this last round. Scattered reports of trees/power lines down, but no extensive flooding. I think the storm hit when it wasn't high tide so that helped. NY/NJ looks like they got the worst of it - there's a photo going around of water rushing into a NJ PATH station and pictures of water in the NY subway tunnels.

I think everything will be back to normal down here tomorrow. Weather right now is just rainy and a few gusts, but nowhere near as bad as it was gusting yesterday.

#835391 - Tue Oct 30 2012 08:48 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: ladymacb29]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Everything here seems to be fine, though the sounds the wind was making last night were absolutely terrifying. I shudder to think what may have been downed while I lay on the couch hearing slap, slap, slap.

Grandma has power (I called and got the answering machine). Waiting to hear back from her.

Seems Zweier’s is open, as I just called (call me curious) to see if they closed or not.

I truly feel for those who got hit harder than me.

#835399 - Tue Oct 30 2012 09:35 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

This would all tend to back the validity to those questions here saying that it is storm water surge that is the most dangerous part to giant storms and Hurricanes in particular.

New Jerseyian(-ite?) businesses have been asked to keep their employees at home through tomorrow at the least.

The "stall" has begun. The center of the storm slowed down to moving at only 9 mph NW (it had come ashore at about 18mph). The turn to the North it is expected to take should slow it down even more later this afternoon.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Oct 30 2012 09:50 AM)

#835407 - Tue Oct 30 2012 10:10 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Grandma called. They lost electric last night, and since it wasn’t on early this morning, Michael took Grandma to breakfast. The line they’re on got power soon after, so “we’re back in business.”

Charlie and Anita, my great uncle and his wife, are without power—and something’s wrong with their phones.

Last year, Mom was uppset because the back-up generators hadn’t been tested in quite some time, so when the power went out they couldn’t even use that. Grandma and I are both wondering whether it’s working now.

Also last year (September) the Hyman Kaplan, a short-term care home located behind the local hospital, had to be evacuated due to flooding. In addition, a computer with valuable medical information was damaged, prompting letters to go out in the mail to those potentially impacted by this loss.

Time will tellif anything similar happened with Sandy.

#835410 - Tue Oct 30 2012 10:20 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

This is likely a coincidence [forget the fact that I don't believe in those], but the maintenance man came to my door because my neighbor's kitchen sink was clogged "so yours most likely is as well." He poured down some drain cleaner, then "ran back and forth" between apartments for a bit.

The other week, I'd actually called about my sink. I'd been washing dishes when it overflowed. The next day, someone was up to look at the problem, and concluded that the drain was open. I was half tempted to yell at him, but I restrained myself. Seems my drain may not have been "wide open" like he thought.

#835412 - Tue Oct 30 2012 10:23 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Correction:
The NYC house fires were in Queens and the count is at 80 lost residences.

Update:
The Maryland Waste treatment plant is spewing a couple hundred thousand gallons of untreated waste per hour. That has a dangerous impact to the flooding in that area (which is said to be less than other places because it was on the south side of the storm but means it will be less diluted before filtering out to sea - this could be a devastating environmental impact).

New:
A lot of "Boil Water" warnings are being issued because of the impact of flooding on drinking water supplies (and I imagine due to broken water mains resulting from washouts and short term high contamination levels of supplies by run-off).

Edited by mehaul (Tue Oct 30 2012 10:29 AM)

#835421 - Tue Oct 30 2012 11:34 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Saw on the news last night that Pittsburgh and Ohio were getting sleet.
Currently aAbout 7.5 million without power and at least 26 casualties

Flood warning for my area until 8 tonight

I remember last year after Hurricane Lee, there was a boil water advisory for the area. So far as I know, that’s not an issue this time. (Mom will be better able to tell me if there is – she’s the one who alerted me last year.)

“A south-central Pennsylvania woman faces charges that include risking a catastrophe after she jumped into a raging creek to "save" a couple dozen wild ducks.” – CBS News web site

Eleven roads in my area are closed – includes Cumberland Street

Building in Altoona suffered a partial collapse in storm

One of my relatives, my Great-Aunt Janice, was prepared to get confrontational with her power company if the power wasn’t restored in what she perceived to be a timely fashion.

“A look at key storm developments in Pennsylvania” (CBS News online) – “Three people were killed, including an 8-year-old Susquehanna County boy who died when a tree limb fell on him… In Berks County, a 62-year-old man was killed after a tree fell atop his house… A man trimming a tree in preparation for the storm fell and died Sunday [Lancaster County]… An infant was slightly injured when a tree fell on a house [Delaware C ounty]”
“More than 1.2 million customers were without power throughout Pennsylvania as of 10:30 p.m. Monday, according to utilities FirstEnergy, PECO and PPL.”
“The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission advised residents of about 80 homes downstream of the Speedwell Forge Lake Dam in Elizabeth Township, Lancaster County, to evacuate as a precaution. Bensalem Township, north of Philadelphia, ordered more than 100 residences evacuated Monday; In Darby Borough, just southwest of Philadelphia, 150-200 people were evacuated.”
“Approximately 600 people were in 14 Philadelphia-area shelters and 60 people were in 17 shelters in central Pennsylvania, according to the Redn Cross; A total of 58 Red Cross evacuation centers are on standby with a capacity for 31,000.”
“State offices are closed Monday and Tuesday except for essential personnel. All Pennsylvania state appellate courts closed Monday and Tuesday; county courts closed on a county-by-county basis.”
“PennDOT reported significant numbers of road closures because of downed trees, power lines and flooding, most of them in southeastern Pennsylvania.”
“Speed limits reduced to 45 miles per hour on highways in central and eastern Pennsylvania”
“The Pennsylvania Turnpike is operating under a weather emergency. Motorists are urged to limit non-essential travel and reduce speeds for safety.”
“Pennsylvania wine and liquor stores closed at 3 p.m. Monday; stores in southeastern Pennsylvania did not open at all.”
“Tuesday's absentee ballot application deadline is extended for a day or two for counties where courthouses were closed Monday, Tuesday, or both.”
“QUOTE OF THE DAY: "They're telling me this is going to be worse than (Hurricane) Floyd because this is some superstorm. I'm not going back until the water's receded." — Sheila Gladden evacuated from her home in Philadelphia's flood-prone Eastwick neighborhood.”

#835458 - Tue Oct 30 2012 03:02 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Update on Mom:

Her workplace is still without power. “The generators work, but they don’t cover everything, so certain areas are without heat…”

All I can say to that is: **What a *mess!

In other news, I saw the news earlier with a segment involving the President speaking to the Red Cross. He stated that he doesn’t want to see any bureaucratcy and red tape in dealing with this disaster, and if anyone’s hindered from doing his/her job, they’re to call him at the White House.r

#835482 - Tue Oct 30 2012 06:11 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
ladymacb29 Offline

In Alexandria, VA high tide is coming soon and they're worried about additional flooding because of it tonight.

#835485 - Tue Oct 30 2012 07:37 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: ladymacb29]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The center (eye/iris/pupil?) is still over Western Pennsylvania 12 hours after the last posting of its location. It now will take some new meteorological event to kick start its movement resuming. Oh oh, there's nothing on the maps! All that energy is going to stay where it is until it expends itself in lifting and moving moisture through the atmosphere at high speeds. We're still getting 20 mph winds from it here in SE FL. Canada north of Chicago is now in the wind field as is Canada north of Maine.

Didn't this thing pass over Bermuda? Wasn't that about the pivot point that the storm did its left turn into New Jersey? I never saw any reports about what has happened to those folks.

#835493 - Tue Oct 30 2012 08:39 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Newscasters are saying they never saw anything like this before, and they hope they never do again.

Mom's friend Stephanie, who used to be in a hospital in Hershey but is now in a local nursing home, didn't answer the phone when Mom called tonight. I think, had Mom not been so tired, she'd have gone to visit Steph instead of calling.

#835875 - Thu Nov 01 2012 09:31 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Nursing home *still* without power. Mom and staff are doing the best they can with what they have.

My thoughts are with those still struggling to get past this storm.

#835953 - Thu Nov 01 2012 02:58 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Update: Nursing home got power back around 3 PM.

Charlie and Anita were driving around in their car last night to try and keep warm. Michael offered them a propane heater, but though Charlie a ccepted it he seems not to have used it. Ah, well—their power’s restored now.

#835956 - Thu Nov 01 2012 02:59 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
ladymacb29 Offline

My friend on Staten Island says school is cancelled until at least November 12.

#836287 - Sat Nov 03 2012 04:10 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: ladymacb29]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
The kids will be pleased. What a pity the circumstances causing it are so sad though.

#836340 - Sat Nov 03 2012 06:59 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: sue943]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Look at the major disasters we experience as communal creatures who love to live near the sea. We stand in the way of tsunamis, hurricanes and by being seaside, even earthquakes impact shore living. Much of our recovery effort is hindered by the inability to bring supplies to the effected sites. We need to develop a navy of shallow water capable response vessels to bring relief from the water side of these disasters. Sure we've stationed Naval ships offshore but the only benefit we get from them really is as floating hospitals and helicopter pads. The hospitals are good. But we need the type of capability that was expressed after D-day when artificial harbors were thrown up overnight. Then we can offload all the heavy equipment and supplies needed to begin the recoveries and get the folks back on their feet. One nation should take the lead on this and spend the effort to define what that navy would look like then give the specs away to the rest of the world.

The first transition vessel that might be used in its current configuration are amphibious hovercraft to use them instead of plows to clean streets of sand so trucks can get through.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 03 2012 10:00 AM)

#836364 - Sat Nov 03 2012 09:56 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
BxBarracuda Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Bronx
New York USA     
The kids on Staten Island may be happy now, but no schools open means single parents and households with two working parents have to scramble for ways to look after the kids or take time off work. From what I know, there are only a certain number of school days each year set aside for emergency school closings like this, usually for snow days, and the maximum number of days allotted for emergency school closures each year I think is 6, any number over that will mean that the school year for those schools will have to be extended, taking out of their summer vacations.

The big issue, other than the power outages, tree clearing and other damage around New York City, Long Island and New Jersey has been gas shortages. For days almost all gas stations have been out of gas, it started getting better Friday. Those stations that get gas, even Friday, have lines that are miles and hours long, even at 4 A.M., once word gets out that they have gas. Police have to be at stations to prevent people from trying to push into the line and prevent those that are in line from blocking other traffic, which if the police aren’t there just as a presence leads to screaming matches at the frustration of trying to get gas and people just trying to get past the lines and continue down the road. Gas stations have also started singling out one pump for people filling up the gas cans for their generators in areas where power is still not fully restored. The gas station we were able to fill up at yesterday was actually running of generator power themselves.

#836382 - Sat Nov 03 2012 11:07 AM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: BxBarracuda]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Several years ago, Florida legislated that all gas stations had to have generators in order to keep their licenses. I think some provisions let some slide but most now are so equipped.

Here's a rub, even if you have generators, ala NYC Hospitals, it doesn't mean that they'll run without failure. I do not recall that the Florida statutes require periodic testing by the state bureau of standards when they verify pump quantity readouts. So those Sunshine state's generators may fail to work when needed if they aren't proved to be functional from time to time.

Part of the NYC problem is the flooding which occurred at the lowest tunnel depths. Here's an idea that was found useful in the greatest of European and mid-Eastern cities for millenia: excavate large cisterns to act as catch basins. Drain the transit lines and building basements into a lower cavern/cistern.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Nov 03 2012 12:43 PM)

#836407 - Sat Nov 03 2012 01:54 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: mehaul]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

As fortunate as we were, certain areas are still experiencing problems getting power to stay on once it’s on. I think it was Thursday that Mom’s nursing home got power back, and today one of its buildings went out again. She may have to go to the office, depending on the situation there.

#836411 - Sat Nov 03 2012 02:45 PM Re: East U.S. Prepares for "Frankenstorm" [Re: Jazmee27]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New Jersey USA
From Monday evening, until this morning, I had no electric, no heat, and no mobile service. (I have a landline, so was able to communicate.)

The good thing is, there is no damage to my house - only a few downed branches in the yard smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, sue943