Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 41 of 93 < 1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
#836882 - Mon Nov 05 2012 08:16 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Alternatively you could go to their profile and scroll through their quiz list from there.

Unless that author was someone like Kyle or Nightmare...then you could use a search engine like Google, I suppose.

#837021 - Tue Nov 06 2012 09:43 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Most challenges asking for playing a quiz by a specific author, don't specify which one you should try out. So Mariamir, you won't have to resort to media outside of FunTrivia - unless you happen to play each and every new quiz by Kyle or by Nightmare as soon as it gets on line...

#837198 - Wed Nov 07 2012 04:12 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: JanIQ]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Minor typographical issue...
Challenge text reads, "Participate in 6 different types of hourly games today, scoring at least 5 correct in each game. Quiz of the hour counts as one." The word "hour" should be capitalized. wink

Edited by gracious1 (Wed Nov 07 2012 04:13 AM)

#837201 - Wed Nov 07 2012 05:14 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: fado72]
Aedan57 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Vermont USA
Medium challenge I have today is to play 6 quizzes with 3 letters "R" in their title, scoring at least 5 correct. I did receive credit for 2 I've played however have played a few more with 3 r's, scored more than 5 correct, but am not beong credited.
They are not quizzes I've ever played before.
Thanks.
Nevermind, this time I really figured it out! Each quiz needs to be in a different sub-category, I was playing them all in Geography.
Sorry to have not noted the qualifier earlier..

Edited by aedan57 (Wed Nov 07 2012 05:51 AM)

#837202 - Wed Nov 07 2012 06:03 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Aedan57]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
As an Easy Challenge today I had
Originally Posted By: challengebot
Score at least 6 questions correct in any Animals quiz.

Being aware of the situation mentioned just a few posts ago, that the challenge will be specific if a player authored quiz is the object of the challenge, I assumed that when it said ANY Animal quiz (note no size qualifier) that a Newest Quizbot assembled Animals Quiz would meet the stated requirement. I took the current Animal Mix Quiz and got 10/10 but no challenge credit.

#837209 - Wed Nov 07 2012 06:45 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Although the challenge could probably be less vague, it's referring to a quiz in the 'Animals' category-- the quizbot quizzes can not be found there so they will not count.

#837223 - Wed Nov 07 2012 07:51 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

It should be clarified because it says any quiz, not any player authored quiz nor NOT any quizbot quiz. A quizbot quiz is a quiz and meets the definition of any. So many other ambiguous challenges have been cleared up to delineate the exact place to seek the challenge and this should be clarified too.
And less vague means still vague but not so much. This thread is for highlighting verbage that is vague and needs clarifying.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Nov 07 2012 07:53 AM)

#837224 - Wed Nov 07 2012 08:07 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: CellarDoor]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Originally Posted By: CellarDoor
My medium challenge is
Quote:
Play any four average, tough, or difficult 10-question player quizzes in a row, achieving scores of at least 8 on each.

So far, so good, but it's showing credit for this quiz, which has a difficulty rating of easy. It looks like either the text or the code to check difficulty rating needs some help. Not that I mind having credit...

Here's what may be the reason. Back last month I posted here about playing a 'Tough' quiz required as part of my Daily Challenge. I scored 10/10 which immediately downrated it to 'Average' and so I didn't get the Daily Challenge credit. Terry tweaked the difficulty bands just a fraction after that to reduce the risk of it happening again.

He said:

"Wow, talk about unintended consequences

Ok, I've changed it to give difficulty ratings a bit of a wiggle room. So, if the difficulty rating is a LITTLE easier than what you're asked to do, it will still give you credit. That should fix that issue!"

#837249 - Wed Nov 07 2012 10:00 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: JanIQ]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Originally Posted By: JanIQ
Most challenges asking for playing a quiz by a specific author, don't specify which one you should try out. So Mariamir, you won't have to resort to media outside of FunTrivia - unless you happen to play each and every new quiz by Kyle or by Nightmare as soon as it gets on line...

Anytime I've gotten a challenge to play a quiz by a specific author, it specified which one. For example, one of my Easy challenges was "Play a quiz authored by reeshy and score 4 questions correct".

#837252 - Wed Nov 07 2012 10:29 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Doesn't the name reeshy act as a link to their profile page and quizzes in that case?

#837256 - Wed Nov 07 2012 10:48 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I think that's what buddy was trying to say mehaul : )

#837263 - Wed Nov 07 2012 11:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
Originally Posted By: Buddy1
Anytime I've gotten a challenge to play a quiz by a specific author, it specified which one. For example, one of my Easy challenges was "Play a quiz authored by reeshy and score 4 questions correct".

Oh, gosh, that's exciting and unexpected. :P

#837267 - Wed Nov 07 2012 11:48 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
Originally Posted By: mehaul
As an Easy Challenge today I had

Being aware of the situation mentioned just a few posts ago, that the challenge will be specific if a player authored quiz is the object of the challenge, I assumed that when it said ANY Animal quiz (note no size qualifier) that a Newest Quizbot assembled Animals Quiz would meet the stated requirement. I took the current Animal Mix Quiz and got 10/10 but no challenge credit.

Mixed quizzes don't count they have to be authored by a single author.

#837281 - Wed Nov 07 2012 01:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
Mixed quizzes don't count they have to be authored by a single author.

Where does it say that in the challenge? It says ANY quiz period
No others use the term ANY that I have run into. Why fight this? All that needs to be done is to add verbage that the challenge is for player authored quizzes or that quizbot ones are inelligible just like has been done by Terry for other challenges. Mixed quizzes do count in some cases. This is, as I said vague language that needs to be clarified like the opening post of the thread requests reporting of.
The way the challenge reads now means that other Animal quizzes should qualify too, like the Animals category in the Global Challenge (Note, that's a mixed quiz)

Edited by mehaul (Wed Nov 07 2012 01:19 PM)

#837287 - Wed Nov 07 2012 01:40 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Forum Champion

Quote:
Where does it say that in the challenge? It says ANY quiz period

It doesn't and it doesn't. It says "any quiz in the Animals category". As I've already said, those mixed quizzes can not specifically be found in the Animals category; this extends to the GC, or an all-Animals based Daily Quiz, or a Point Tree Animal quiz, or any other random Animals quizzes without a listing in our Animals directory. The Animals category can be found on the left sidebar at the top of the categories listing. The link is http://www.funtrivia.com/ql.cfm?cat=1

Quote:
No others use the term ANY that I have run into.

They're in there-- I got an any in my difficult challenge today.

Quote:
Why fight this?

We aren't? :s

When I recommended changing it you said that my verbage wasn't precise enough. I was merely telling you that what you were doing wouldn't count-- if you want to get credit for your challenge in the meantime, you'll need to follow the steps we've been listing.

Unless your challenges say otherwise, assume they're referring to the quizzes in the directory. They are the bulk of the site and should be a fall-back regardless.

#837292 - Wed Nov 07 2012 02:30 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: mehaul

I fail to see the word category in that challenge. And the issue was passed but brought up again by someone else. You both are wrong. It says

ANY ANIMAL QUIZ period

copied and pasted without change. The word Any neans quizbot, global, player author mixed and unmixed. ANY. The word Category is not used at all in the language of the challenge. Where did you come up with that?

AND. I had my challenge complete by going to an Animal quiz from elsewhere before I posted here. I didn't post to vent a feeling of being cheated. As my post says I followed the directions of the thread's first post and reported vague wording in a challenge. I just think the challenge needs to be reworded. I never saw any wording in your post sugesting any rewording. Please point that out to me so I can apologize for missing it.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Nov 07 2012 02:41 PM)

#837293 - Wed Nov 07 2012 02:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I would argue that any quiz in the animals CATEGORY is considered a quiz, true...

But that anything in the global, as well as quizbot generated quizzes, are considered GAMES, not quizzes.

A quiz is a player-created 5, 10, 15, 20, or 25 question item that is categorized into a category and sub-category. A quiz will last forever, unless it needs to be taken offline to edit.

These others, however, do not last. They are temporary "games" to fill the void if no new "quizzes" have gone online. They will disappear in only a few hours, and never be seen again, making it a "game", and not so much a constant "quiz" that remains forever.

This would mean there is nothing wrong with the statement "any animals quiz", because, by definition, the quizzes are those in the animal category, and all others are not technically "quizzes".

But, perhaps, I'm dissecting this far beyond where it needs to be, but perhaps it has already been dissected too far.

In my opinion, anyway.

#837295 - Wed Nov 07 2012 02:51 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
Forum Champion

Mehaul, you're right-- it didn't say category.

Only trying to help you get your challenge point.

Quote:
The word Any neans quizbot, global, player author mixed and unmixed. ANY.

You're going to be disappointed when playing those and not getting the point then.

It's been more than just me saying that it has to be in the category to count in the meantime; Terry will fix your issue with the word 'any' later on and he'll either add a word to clarify it or he'll overhaul the entire thing to include mixed non-player-specific quizzes/GC/Point Tree/Expert categories/WTS Animals quizzes/anything else animals to make it work.

Until then, all we've been saying is despite what it says, this is how it works. Either you can view your playing the extra game as a time-sink or you can enjoy what you learned and carry on to the next possibility. You posted it here and it will be attended to (or not; I can't speak for anyone); there's no need to argue or yell about it.

Quote:
I never saw any wording in your post sugesting any rewording. Please point that out to me so I can apologize for missing it.

I said 'the challenge could be less vague'. You said 'And less vague means still vague but not so much. This thread is for highlighting verbage that is vague and needs clarifying.'

I took that to mean my suggestion was unacceptable.

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed Nov 07 2012 02:53 PM)

#837296 - Wed Nov 07 2012 02:57 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
Forum Champion

Quote:
I had my challenge complete by going to an Animal quiz from elsewhere before I posted here.

Then why did you say 'I took the current Animal Mix Quiz and got 10/10 but no challenge credit.'? If you already had a quiz from elsewhere completed, it wouldn't have mattered-- you'd have gotten the point and the challenge wouldn't have registered any later quizzes.

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed Nov 07 2012 02:58 PM)

#837302 - Wed Nov 07 2012 03:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Quote:
I had my challenge complete by going to an Animal quiz from elsewhere before I posted here.

Then why did you say 'I took the current Animal Mix Quiz and got 10/10 but no challenge credit.'? If you already had a quiz from elsewhere completed, it wouldn't have mattered-- you'd have gotten the point and the challenge wouldn't have registered any later quizzes.

I think what mehaul meant was he took the quizbot quiz first, then when it didn't work went on to an Animal quiz from the Animal category. But since the quizbot's Animal quiz is a quiz about Animals, he came here to report that it didn't count. If I'm wrong do correct me, that's just my conclusion.

And while I think it's pretty clear that "Animal quiz" means "a quiz from the Animals category", the text could be revised to say so.

Edited by Mariamir (Wed Nov 07 2012 03:43 PM)

#837303 - Wed Nov 07 2012 03:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
My own Easy challenge today was:
Quote:
Score at least 8 questions correct in any Humanities quiz.

As mehaul says, the word 'category' is not in there, however the word 'Humanities' is actually a link to the Humanities subcategory where there are no mixed quizbot games to be found. I'm willing to bet that the challenge to play any Animals quiz also linked to the Animals subcat.

Is it possible to word this more specifically? Sure it is. But is it really all that confusingly vague? I don't think so, it takes you right to where you need to find a quiz to play.

#837304 - Wed Nov 07 2012 03:43 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

When I saw Any quiz and left the challenge page the first animal quiz (sorry S_S that area is called quizzes. The Games area is below that on the Home Page) I saw was the Newest Mixed. I played it. Got no confirmation of challenge complete. Thought even though it doesn't say so it may mean not any but mean player authored quizzes. If it does I reminded myself to post that the language is confusing (since I wasted -in a way- time to take the other quiz). I went to the Animals category in the left hand column and chose one and got 10/10. Returning to the challenge page I saw I then had the challenge complete check mark. I left that page and came to "Bugs" thread to make my report. See, I couldn't have killed Miss Marple in the closet with a noodle. Am I free to go now? I know, I know don't leave town and all that and you may have further questions. I'm innocent I telz ya.

Thank you mariamir and GG for agreeing. I never scrolled over the word Animals to see if it was a link. Upon entering the Daily Challenge page I use my pointer to scroll down to read the challenges then move the pointer to the go back button. I just read and clicked my browser go back button. I agree that games and quizzes are confusing with three possible tests: games, mixed quizzes and single author quizzes. We need a third quizical name.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Nov 07 2012 03:53 PM)

#837308 - Wed Nov 07 2012 03:48 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Whoa! Three simultaneous posts that go to another page...

Well, mehaul just confirmed what I thought...

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that the challenge to play any Animals quiz also linked to the Animals subcat.

For some reason, when a challenge sends someone to a game like WTE, it sometimes is linked, sometimes not. It's possible that the Animals was not. Although since the Humanities one was linked, most likely so was the Animals.

#837311 - Wed Nov 07 2012 03:50 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
That makes a lot more sense now, mehaul. You're right, clicking on the "new quizzes" section will bring up the quizbot games as well. That is kind of odd, perhaps it's best to leave them out? After all, they aren't really "new" quizzes, as it appears, because they disappear. Perhaps there could be a tab for both "new quizzes" as well as a tab for "new quizbot quizzes"? Those quizbot quizzes can be nice to play every now and then, so I don't want to see them disappear, but perhaps placing them in their own section would be a good solution? All 20 categories can be represented, each with a little list of quizbot games underneath for players to enjoy.

#837314 - Wed Nov 07 2012 03:57 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
The Animals category is linked, I know that for sure because today that was one of my challenges. I found the challenge easy to comprehend, I followed the link because I'm lazy, and hey, finished that challenge no problem at all.

I cannot believe how pedantic some people are, or how they persist with their one-track obsessions until they drive perfectly normal people insane, or why they're allowed to go on getting away with it, time after time in thread after thread. It's discussions like that one which make a lot of players avoid the forums - I'm pretty sure more people would contribute if it wasn't for the fact they risk getting caught up in an interminable circular argument over something entirely inconsequential.

Page 41 of 93 < 1 2 ... 39 40 41 42 43 ... 92 93 >

Moderator:  Terry