Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 42 of 89 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 88 89 >
Topic Options
#837316 - Wed Nov 07 2012 04:03 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
I don't think the quizbot quizzes disappear. You just don't see them anymore. Each I believe is assigned a quiz record number and it is stored away but that is not a problem for this thread. If you needed to look at an old Newest mixed quiz and knew its number you could call it up by typing htpt//etc.etc./prg/#954137 or something like that. and presto, that quiz would come up even if it was run three months ago.
That is all beyond the scope of this thread which Terry has asked to be limited to the bugs and confusing bits.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#837319 - Wed Nov 07 2012 04:16 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
No, I am almost certain they disappear after a time. They main purpose of a quizbot quiz is to fill in the void when no quizzes by players are going online (perhaps a dry spell, maybe editors are busy, etc). They DO disappear after a time, because they are designed this way. They are quiz-like in nature, but they aren't technically true quizzes, and will disappear...

But you're right, this is inconsequential to the issues at hand. This is a bug-reporting thread, so let's stop and just say this...

"To avoid confusion for many players, perhaps we can add a note saying "only quizzes in the main subcategories of (x category) count" or something along those lines."

#837384 - Wed Nov 07 2012 09:08 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
ASA Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide
  SA Australia   
For my challenge today I had to play 6 different category quizzes. I just chose them from the latest quiz mixes, and chose childrens to see if that worked, which it did, under the quiz game method and it worked. Then I tried literature under the HTML method scoring nine correct but this was not recognised on the challenge page, so I tried it again under the quiz game method, getting the same questions but this time getting ten correct. It then recognised this on the challenge page.

Edited to say I tried it again with science with the same result.

Edited by ASA (Wed Nov 07 2012 09:14 PM)

#837394 - Wed Nov 07 2012 10:33 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: ASA]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
My medium challenge for today: Rank in the top 5 in your division in any hourly game.

I'm not complaining about the challenge at all, but this would only be a "medium" challenge for either "newbies" (and not necessarily that easy to get) or for the "phenoms" on this site lol. For a middle of the road player like me, who is either blessed or cursed with a few champion badges, my feeling is that this challenge should be in the "difficult" category.

No biggie either way, just an opinion.

#837397 - Wed Nov 07 2012 11:01 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Jakeroo]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Jakeroo
My medium challenge for today: Rank in the top 5 in your division in any hourly game.

I'm not complaining about the challenge at all, but this would only be a "medium" challenge for either "newbies" (and not necessarily that easy to get) or for the "phenoms" on this site lol. For a middle of the road player like me, who is either blessed or cursed with a few champion badges, my feeling is that this challenge should be in the "difficult" category.

No biggie either way, just an opinion.

What would you then make my Difficult Challenge for today: "Rank #1 in your division in any hourly game." ?

And I would consider myself an average player. I only have one monthly badge, Obscurity, but I can still manage a top 5 in other games as well. There are so many hourly games and categories that it is definitely a doable challenge to finish in the top 5.

My Difficult Challenge for today can't be bumped to Epic Level, and having top 5 and #1 as both being Difficult doesn't make sense. I think it is fine as it is, with a top 5 being a medium challenge.

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Wed Nov 07 2012 11:06 PM)

#837399 - Wed Nov 07 2012 11:23 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I'll take the high road and thank you for your opinion lol.

#837479 - Thu Nov 08 2012 08:51 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: kaddarsgirl
I only have one monthly badge, Obscurity, but I can still manage a top 5 in other games as well. There are so many hourly games and categories that it is definitely a doable challenge to finish in the top 5.

Not campaigning for a change of rating but just making a little point of order smile tongue wink...
Having monthly badges makes either challenge less doable (not more) because you're in a harder division. If it wasn't for my lack of a monthly badge in the mixed game, I might put this challenge in the difficult category because I can't physically get my mouse to click fast enough to get 10/10 in 13 seconds, nor can I read fast enough to get 15/15 word defintions right in 30 seconds.

Edited by Chavs (Thu Nov 08 2012 08:53 AM)

#837481 - Thu Nov 08 2012 08:52 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Jakeroo]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
It often happens that the difficulties don't match up. Often the medium is harder than the difficult, in my opinion. It's just the luck of the draw, and I just treat it as the quirks of the game. But I can see why you view it as a difficult rather than medium! :P

#837541 - Thu Nov 08 2012 03:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: reeshy]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Medium = rank #5
Difficult = ? ; #1?
Epic cannot be done by anyone

Epic could be #1
Difficult could be top 5
Medium could be top 10%
Easy is to play it

IMHO
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#837545 - Thu Nov 08 2012 03:12 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Epics are meant to far more challenging than being first in your division in any hourly game. That is rightfully listed as difficult. Yes, there are some players who would think this is beyond difficult. However, we cannot tailor every single challenge to every single player (or I'd stop getting challenges to score 16 or 17 in daily game). We all have our Achilles' heel.

Being number 1 works for ANY hourly, so it's not too insanely difficult. If you happen to be in a champs division that is too tough, you can always try for a different hourly. Or do what I do if it's not winnable; keep trying and if you don't win oh well. Today it wants me to win Crystal Ball. I am sure I will not win this, but I'm ok with it. smile

#837577 - Thu Nov 08 2012 04:54 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: mehaul
Medium = rank #5
Difficult = ? ; #1?
Epic cannot be done by anyone

Epic could be #1
Difficult could be top 5
Medium could be top 10%
Easy is to play it

IMHO

There is already an Epic in the series. And multiple people have won every single Epic, so clearly it's not impossible. I, personally, managed to earn the Epic several times in testing, as did salami_swami and our fellow testers. There is also a series of percentage-related challenges that follow a similar pattern to he place-related ones that have been brought up in this thread. I could get a #1 in Obscurity if I played it, and I have so some multiple times (many times I've won several times in the same day), and salami can win PoC multiple times. You just have to finds what works for you. And, as has been said over and over again in all of these challenge related threads, people have different strengths and weaknesses, what seems like a challenge to you is cake to someone else, and visa versa. Since people seem to be able to accomplish the Epic, which a lot harder than the Difficult, I think it's fine as it is. You're not supposed to be able to win every challenge. Terry mentioned in testing that many of the more difficult challenges are designed to be approx 50/50 in terms of win/lose statistics. If you're not fast enough, and don't even want to try, then you can always skip the challenge or swap it out.

#838039 - Sat Nov 10 2012 09:47 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
My Easy challenge for today: "Find and play any quiz whose title starts with the letters "Po"."

I played the quiz "Pot Pourri of European Countries" and was not awarded credit. This is the link: http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Geography/-Pot-Pourri-of-European-Countries-120600.html

Looking at the link, it seems the problem might be the initial "-", but that character is not displayed in the quiz title itself.

#838040 - Sat Nov 10 2012 10:10 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: abechstein]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: abechstein
My Easy challenge for today: "Find and play any quiz whose title starts with the letters "Po"."

I played the quiz "Pot Pourri of European Countries" and was not awarded credit. This is the link: http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Geography/-Pot-Pourri-of-European-Countries-120600.html

Looking at the link, it seems the problem might be the initial "-", but that character is not displayed in the quiz title itself.

I went to the link you have provided, and that quiz should have counted since the first two characters of the title, as listed on the category page, are Po, and do not even include a quotation mark. There have been several problems with that challenge, and similar letters, but previously the issues mainly dealt with quizzes chosen that started with quotation marks, which the quiz you chose clearly lacks. Have you tried another quiz to complete the challenge, since there was an error the first time? The challenge, in general, through testing and through live play, seems to be very glitchy...

#838042 - Sat Nov 10 2012 10:33 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
It wasn't too hard to find another quiz that qualified; I wasn't going to wait for Terry to try to fix this one. I would guess that the reason for glitches in challenges of this type is because they are exposing anomalies in the titles of quizzes (e.g., quotation marks and the odd en-dash in the title of the quiz I tried).

#838045 - Sat Nov 10 2012 10:57 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: abechstein]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
I just spent 17 hours on Quizzer II with a few breaks. Don't worry it isn't quite that bad, though it is pretty gruelling. I noticed that there is no credit in the number of badgelets for getting the second badge, I guess this applies to all second flag badglets, seems a shame considering the effort required that it only replaces the first one and doesn't also count in its own right.

#838048 - Sat Nov 10 2012 11:02 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Starlord]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Starlord
I just spent 17 hours on Quizzer II with a few breaks. Don't worry it isn't quite that bad, though it is pretty gruelling. I noticed that there is no credit in the number of badgelets for getting the second badge, I guess this applies to all second flag badglets, seems a shame considering the effort required that it only replaces the first one and doesn't also count in its own right.

Do you get the bonus points associated with receiving a badgelet for the "Double Flag" series even though it only replaces the current badge you already have? I don't know anything about the double flags since we didn't get those in testing; they were a secret project.

#838058 - Sun Nov 11 2012 12:01 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
ASA Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide
  SA Australia   
I had a challenge today to score at least so many points for the difficult badge. I knew I was not going to make it as I only logged in about two hours before the end of the day, but when I went to check to see how far short I was about ten minutes before "midnight" I found that it has reset to zero and the only score I have from the day is the mindmelt that I had just completed.

I know I was still some 2000 points short, so there is no sour grapes involved.

#838060 - Sun Nov 11 2012 12:07 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: ASA]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
The FT day actually ends ten minutes before midnight, when everything resets for the next day.

#838064 - Sun Nov 11 2012 02:08 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: abechstein]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: abechstein

You found a funny one-- the title begins with a space (which is why there's a dash at the beginning of the quiz name in the URL). I've removed it so that the issue doesn't occur again but unfortunately I don't think it'll count for you.

The quiz would've counted had the author not put a space at the beginning of the name; sometimes it slips past.

#838077 - Sun Nov 11 2012 05:53 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kyleisalive]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
I was hoping winning the double flag badgelet would add to the total of badgelets getting me nearer to the magic 100. wink

Edited by Starlord (Sun Nov 11 2012 05:54 AM)

#838080 - Sun Nov 11 2012 08:35 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: reeshy]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
Originally Posted By: ASA
I had a challenge today to score at least so many points for the difficult badge. I knew I was not going to make it as I only logged in about two hours before the end of the day, but when I went to check to see how far short I was about ten minutes before "midnight" I found that it has reset to zero and the only score I have from the day is the mindmelt that I had just completed.

I know I was still some 2000 points short, so there is no sour grapes involved.

Originally Posted By: reeshy
The FT day actually ends ten minutes before midnight, when everything resets for the next day.

It would be nice for the challenges that end at midnight (11:50 pm) if we could see the final results the next day. Especially for Nemesis - if I'm ahead when I go to bed but find the next morning that I didn't get the three points, I'd be curious how many points the other person got in the last few hours. Is there any way to see "yesterday's challenges"? (It sounds to me like that is what ASA was looking for.)

#838082 - Sun Nov 11 2012 08:50 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Julia103]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I know that 'random' means just that, but I'm still waiting to see my first Epic, let alone get a Double Flag chance. Even doing the 'ten in a day' didn't produce one. Is there any sort of percentage, or have I just been unlucky? My guesstimate is that I've bought 25 - 30 challenges since the game started.

#838083 - Sun Nov 11 2012 08:51 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Julia103]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: Julia103
Is there any way to see "yesterday's challenges"? (It sounds to me like that is what ASA was looking for.)

There's a link to yesterday's results right beside the FAQ, if that's what you want.

Not sure if this link will work, but

http://www.funtrivia.com/dchallenge/yesterday.cfm?override=2331887

#838087 - Sun Nov 11 2012 09:16 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
Originally Posted By: Mariamir
There's a link to yesterday's results right beside the FAQ, if that's what you want.

Not sure if this link will work, but

http://www.funtrivia.com/dchallenge/yesterday.cfm?override=2331887

Thank you! The link didn't work, but going back to my challenge page and looking for it did. I never noticed that - has it always been there?

#838088 - Sun Nov 11 2012 09:49 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Julia103]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: rossian
I know that 'random' means just that, but I'm still waiting to see my first Epic, let alone get a Double Flag chance. Even doing the 'ten in a day' didn't produce one. Is there any sort of percentage, or have I just been unlucky? My guesstimate is that I've bought 25 - 30 challenges since the game started.

Two things. Epics are intentionally chosen less by the random generator than the other challenges. Also, you have been unlucky. In testing, Epics showed up at varying times through the buying process. The first time I bought a challenge when we were testing real play I received and Epic, but others had to purchase 30 or more. Random is random.

Originally Posted By: Julia103
[quote=Mariamir]Thank you! The link didn't work, but going back to my challenge page and looking for it did. I never noticed that - has it always been there?

Yep, It has been there since the very beginning (since the beginning of testing actually).

Page 42 of 89 < 1 2 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 88 89 >

Moderator:  Terry