Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#916817 - Mon Nov 12 2012 02:14 PM Quick Quiz
Nammage Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
Quick Quiz: New pool of questions everyday:

1. Non-Gold Members: 20 questions right in a pool of 100 questions
2. Gold Members: 75 questions right in a pool of 15,000 questions (I think)

I am of #1.

I get the same basic 10 questions over and over again. Noticed this yesterday. Sometimes I get the same question back-to-back.

Yesterday I got the same question 3 times in a row.

If "we" get a pool of 100 questions; should this even be occuring?

It's actually starting to annoy me. I can't be the only one experiencing this.

Yes, it's an easy 200 points but in saying that: it shouldn't be that easy.

-Nam

#916822 - Mon Nov 12 2012 02:20 PM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: Nammage]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
If there are only 100 questions in the pool, it is extremely likely to see the same questions. Especially if you play the game everyday. With only 100 questions in the pool, even if each question was different every day, it would only take 5 days to reach a duplicate. Unfortunately, with such a small question pool, you'll tend to see the same exact few questions over and over.

#916831 - Mon Nov 12 2012 02:44 PM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: salami_swami]
Nammage Offline
Enthusiast

The question set yestersay was not the same as today.

Also,

I believe I only got 2 or 3 questions in correct today. So, that means I took a total of 22-23 questions today. Out of those 22-23 questions I kept getting the same questions over and over again.

The richest woman in china: got 3 times. (2 of them back-to-back)
The Who played Hancock: got 2 times.
The Pasta, Fashion, etc., question got 2 times back-to-back.
The Famous world-wide Basketball team question: got 2 times.
The McDonald's sandwich question: 2 times.

That is 11 questions out of 22-23 that I took, that I got over and over again. If it's a pool of 100 questions, then, realistically, I shouldn't see the same question 'til after the 100th question.

-Nam

#916835 - Mon Nov 12 2012 02:55 PM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: Nammage]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Those questions, I believe, appear at random, and if you get a question wrong, I believe it appears a few more times as well. I have had similar instances (though not as frequently) of seeing the same question appear back to back even in the Gold Member version.

Perhaps there is a little buggy that Terry needs to remove?

#916839 - Mon Nov 12 2012 03:06 PM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: salami_swami]
Nammage Offline
Enthusiast

I got a couple of science ones wrong, didn't see them again; not stating I wouldn't have. I know it's done at random (categorically) but the exact same question?

If it says on the Quick Quiz home page that there's a new set every day, then one would assume there's 100 different questions. And, if there are 100 different questions then, even at random, it should be rare to get the same question(s) over and over again rather than quite expected.

It's just becoming annoying. At first I was like, "This'll be easy" but then that went away when I started to get the questions back-to-back; and then just all-around annoying.

-Nam

#916954 - Tue Nov 13 2012 01:55 AM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: Nammage]
AdamM7 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: Nammage
then, realistically, I shouldn't see the same question 'til after the 100th question.

-Nam

Yes, according to probability, then you shouldn't see the same question until after #100. But, according to probability, the minimum score you should get on a 10 question quiz with all multiple options is 2. I'm sure you've got lower than that on a quiz - out of the thousands that I've taken, I must have got 0 on at least 5/6.

I would expect that you would get the same question after about #25. But what you are saying does sound quite unusual. There might be something wrong.

There is a new set every day. That does not mean 100 different questions. It means 100 questions are randomly picked. Unless we know what database this game uses, we don't know how likely it is to get a repeat of a question the next day because it could only pick from 300 questions, or it could pick from 30,000.

~(_8(I)

#917016 - Tue Nov 13 2012 10:30 AM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: AdamM7]
Nammage Offline
Enthusiast

Today I only got a repeat of 2 questions. Not as bad as the past couple of days. It was actually quite relaxing not having to answer the same questions; especially back-to-back.

Have no idea if it's just "random" itself (not having the same questions over and over again in 20 (est.) questions), or what but it was relaxing.

-Nam

#917076 - Tue Nov 13 2012 03:23 PM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: Nammage]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Today I only got a repeat of 2 questions. Not as bad as the past couple of days. It was actually quite relaxing not having to answer the same questions; especially back-to-back.

Have no idea if it's just "random" itself (not having the same questions over and over again in 20 (est.) questions), or what but it was relaxing.

-Nam

When I was a non-GM, I recall getting quite a few repeats, but almost never back to back. For example, there might be three different questions, another different question, one of the first three, two different ones, another of the first three, etc.

Out of curiosity, is your signature a reference to Frost's poem?

#917170 - Tue Nov 13 2012 10:36 PM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: Nammage]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
If it says on the Quick Quiz home page that there's a new set every day, then one would assume there's 100 different questions. And, if there are 100 different questions then, even at random, it should be rare to get the same question(s) over and over again rather than quite expected.

This is something that bothered me, too, before becoming a GM. Although it states that a new question pool is generated every day, that is not what happens. It appears the same question pool is used every day.

So, I just stopped playing it altogether, and really haven't bothered much with it. I prefer InstaQuiz. It's retro. cool

Edited by gracious1 (Tue Nov 13 2012 10:37 PM)

#917194 - Wed Nov 14 2012 02:22 AM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: gracious1]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
I logged in to say exactly the same thing, gracious! (Love that word "retro" for instaquiz smile ).

What Nam is describing happens every time I play it, so I don't.

#918104 - Fri Nov 16 2012 10:10 PM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: Chavs]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I haven't noticed a problem, but then again I don't play quick quiz every day (and I can't play instaquiz at all)

#918122 - Sat Nov 17 2012 01:03 AM Re: Quick Quiz [Re: Jazmee27]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Originally Posted By: Jazmee27
I haven't noticed a problem, but then again I don't play quick quiz every day (and I can't play instaquiz at all)

I can't play it on my Linux box but I can play it on my beat-up old MacBook Pro laptop. (Yes I have both, and both are old. I never throw anything out.)

Moderator:  Terry