Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#917165 - Tue Nov 13 2012 08:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
My kids talked me into watching "Cabin in the Woods", and I'll admit, although it took a while for me to sit through a lot that I'm not crazy about, it's brilliant, in its way.

#917582 - Wed Nov 14 2012 08:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
"How the Grinch Stole Christmas": a near perfect application of modern cinematic techniques by Ron Howard to relate the holiday rituals as analysized in a humourous way by Dr. Seuss. Jim Carrey certainly rivals his other heavy make-up role efforts as Wiploc in "Earthgirls Are Easy", as Stanley Ipkiss in "The Mask" and as the Riddler in "Batman Forever". This may be the best of them all. Overall it should be on everyone's holiday watch list.

"The Misfits": John Huston's collaboration with Arthur Miller which examines just what does it mean to be alive? Is vivacity something you can waste? How come some seem to have more of it? Can it be contagious? Is it something that can or needs to be destroyed (as suggested by the mustang enigma) for the rest of society to be able to cope? The last screen appearances by two of Hollywood's greatest icons, screen legends, Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable. After they'd played opposite each other could any other duo match the life they gave to their characters? Sad that there is no commentary or bonus extras on the DVD I watched. If there was, I'd probably still be watching it.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#917872 - Thu Nov 15 2012 07:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Just saw the second Sherlock Holmes movie that came out a year ago - very good. I thought the actress who played the gypsy was very good as well. And I even thought the story moved along a little better in this one than the first movie.

Editor for Television Category

#950160 - Mon Nov 19 2012 07:33 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

I just enjoyed two well known films: "Some Like It Hot" and "Fargo"

I am stunned at the resemblence of two characters to each other: Joe E Brown and William H Macy (why they both even use a middle initial in their stage name!). Having recently watched "Mystery Men", I can imagine Joe E Brown as 'The Shoveler'!

And in watching the credits from "Fargo" I had my next film chosen for me. The early character who is the Highway Patrol officer's killing witness, who survives his own auto crash only to be gunned down with a shot to the back, is credited to be that funny symbol that The Performer Formerly Known As Prince uses! I fortunately recently got "Purple Rain" and was at or near the top of my next 'to view' list anyway.

Edited by mehaul (Mon Nov 19 2012 07:36 AM)

#950166 - Mon Nov 19 2012 08:04 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Just about my favourite British film of all time. It summed up the old-time British way of thinking just about perfectly and (to an extent) foresaw the change in British society that WWII was bound to wrought. I'm always amused by the fact that it was commissioned as a propaganda piece by the Ministry of War and then banned by the same office for being unpatriotic!

Originally Posted By: agony
"The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp"

Considering it was made in England in 1942-43, a very nuanced look at war and soldiers. Fantastic performances, and Deborah Kerr is radiant, especially in the 1902 role.

#950228 - Mon Nov 19 2012 12:48 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Colonel Blimp"

I was taken by this event described in the notes with the DVD - I'm copying here from Roger Ebert's review, as I've taken the DVD back to the library. Walbrook is the Austrian actor who played the main character's German friend.

Quote:
That led to an encounter between Churchill and Walbrook, recounted by the British film critic Derek Malcolm: "Churchill's reaction was furious. He is said to have stormed into Walbrook's dressing room when he was appearing in a West End play demanding: 'What's this film supposed to mean? I suppose you regard it as good propaganda for Britain.' Anton's reply was quite telling, he said 'No people in the world other than the English would have had the courage, in the midst of war, to tell the people such unvarnished truth'."

#950654 - Wed Nov 21 2012 07:28 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
I've just watched 'Winter's Bone'. An extraordinary and totally gripping film: the lead Jennifer Lawrence ('The Burning Plain', 'X-Men: First Class', 'The Hunger Games') is developing into a truly great actor.

But OMG is Missouri really THAT depressing?!! shocked

#951139 - Fri Nov 23 2012 10:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: dsimpy]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Anatomy of a Murder" - 1959, Jimmy Stewart and Lee Remick, George C Scott looking impossibly young. The most interesting thing to me about this courtroom drama of a rape and murder case is how they got around the Hays code. It's startlingly frank, for the kind of movie it is. Also, although there is a little gloss put on it for appearances, it's pretty obvious that the "bad" guys got away with it (another Hays Office no-no) - she wasn't really raped, and he wasn't really temporarily insane.

Also interesting to see how societal attitudes toward a free and easy young woman have changed - and, depressingly, how much they haven't.

#951367 - Sat Nov 24 2012 01:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
"Fire and Ice"

Edit to add: Much better than I thought it would be--I'm always afraid I won't be able to follow things like this

Edited by Jazmee27 (Sat Nov 24 2012 09:17 PM)

#951372 - Sat Nov 24 2012 02:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jazmee27]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
I have just watched 'The Life of Pi', and having not read the book,(yet), cannot offer an opinion as to how it compares, but after reading an article about how the book was supposedly unfilmable, i must say that Ang Lee did a beautiful job. The cinematography is astounding, the story heart wrenching and uplifting at the same time.
The casting of relative unknowns was a masterful stroke, as it allowed you to concentrate your attention on the story, not who was playing who.
It has to be my favorite movie of the year, by far.

#951409 - Sat Nov 24 2012 09:11 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: george48]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
'Dungeons and Dragons: The Book of Vile Darkness'

Edit to add: I was pulled in right from the beginning, when the book's prior history was discussed.

Edited by Jazmee27 (Sat Nov 24 2012 09:19 PM)

#951410 - Sat Nov 24 2012 09:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jazmee27]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Marty" from 1955 with Ernest Borgnine.

Really love this movie - it's low key, it's simple, but it's got a lot of heart.

#951689 - Mon Nov 26 2012 10:30 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"How Green Was My Valley" from 1941.

This one didn't hold up so well for me. I now know what a Welsh accent sounds like, for example, and it doesn't sound much like any of these. I'm also a lot less sentimental in my fifties than I was in my teens, when I saw this first.

I know more about film-making, now, though, and can appreciate how beautifully made this movie is - I'm sure the first time I saw it, I didn't even notice all the bit with Angharad's veil at her wedding, for example. And the singing!

All in all, I'd say that if you haven't seen this, you probably should, sort of as a beautifully filmed time machine, back to a kind of movie they don't make anymore.

#951723 - Mon Nov 26 2012 03:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

"Purple Rain" - Prince, Apollonia, Morris Day, Olga Karlatos, Clarence Williams III
Did you know that Prince wrote most of 'The Time''s music?

Pirates of the Golden Age - A two disc, four movie collection ("Against All Flags" / "Buccaneer's Girl" / "Yankee Buccaneer" / "Double Crossbones") Errol Flynn, Maureen O'Hara, Yvonne de Carlo, Antony Quinn, Don O'Connor, Jeff Chandler. All from Universal studios. Each had their own model ship when used in the sea tank but it was the same deck shown in all four movies for actor's staging!

"To Catch a Thief" - Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, Jesse Royce Landis, John Williams. One of Hitchcock's great use of camera perspective to add suspense. And, of course there's Kelly in her future Riviera setting to appreciate. It's sad that some of her big 'action' scenes were racing her car through the twisty streets. It reminded me so much of her demise it was almost too hard to watch.

"Roman Holiday" - Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck, Eddie Albert, Hartley Power. A good companion period piece to "To Catch a Thief" showing what post WWII was like on the Riviera and in Rome.

"Coonskin" (or "Street Fight") - Ralph Bakshi's mix of real footage and animation, with Barry White and Scatman Crothers.

The film "Against All Flags" (1952), starring Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara, I believe has a speaking role for Ernest Borgnine in it. He had just signed with Paramount but this film is from Universal and he would have had to use a different name or else ruin his other contract. The role was as the booty slave auctioneer and then as the pirate who discovers Flynn sabotaging the cannons, for which EB is killed. The way he strutted around doing the aution and the fighting stances he took are exactly the mannerisms he used as Sgt. 'Fastso' Judson in "From Here to Eternity" a year later. He seemed destined to play the heavy. EB's bio doesn't list "Against...Flags" as one he was in but maybe he enjoyed keeping this little secret? There are close ups of his face and the voice is the same. I think I saw tooth gaps in there too. Of course I may be wrong on this, but hours of searching hasn't produced the name of the auction character or a cast member who wasn't listed in many other films. It's like he was a speaking uncredited character (which was known to happen in studio crossovers). More looking will follow...

A bit of trivia to titilate: During the filming of "Against...Flags", Flynn broke his ankle and in the hiatus created by his recuperation, Universal threw together another movie, "Yankee Buccaneer" with Jeff Chandler to keep the sets in use!

If only someone would re-invent the Pirate film genre. I bet a lot of people would watch them (he he he)

Borgnine speculation: Here is a scenario that might fit the events. EB started the film for Universal. He got his scenes in the can. Flynn broke his ankle, putting that project on hold. EB signs with Paramount. Universal finishes "AAF" but cannot use the name of an actor under contract exclusively to another studio. Paramount decides to not credit the part at all to avoid legal issues. They also decide it would be to costly to reshoot his scenes (both include Flynn) with a stand in, so they leave him in but without recognition.

Edited by mehaul (Thu Nov 29 2012 01:30 PM)

#951995 - Tue Nov 27 2012 02:16 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: george48]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: george48
I have just watched 'The Life of Pi', and having not read the book,(yet), cannot offer an opinion as to how it compares, but after reading an article about how the book was supposedly unfilmable, i must say that Ang Lee did a beautiful job. The cinematography is astounding, the story heart wrenching and uplifting at the same time.
The casting of relative unknowns was a masterful stroke, as it allowed you to concentrate your attention on the story, not who was playing who.
It has to be my favorite movie of the year, by far.

Wow, that's a rave review if ever there was one. smile

I'm sticking that straight on my "to watch" list.

#952853 - Sat Dec 01 2012 01:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Exorcist".

I wasn't too impressed, to be honest. The first forty minutes or so really dragged, for one thing, and I kept being distracted and pulled out of the moment by stupid little stuff. As an example, hours (days?) after the famous pea soup scene, Regan's face and bedding is still stained and I'm thinking "You just leave the child up there in her own filth, and we're supposed to think of you as a loving and concerned mother? Is she wearing diapers?" which is not, I think, what I was supposed to be thinking about just then. Not the masterpiece of its genre I was led to expect.

#953040 - Sat Dec 01 2012 11:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Rosemary's Baby"

Enjoyed this one much more, happy to call it a classic in its genre. And Ruth Gordon is just so wonderful.

#953067 - Sun Dec 02 2012 05:43 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

"The Mothman Prophecies" (2002) with Richard Gere, Laura Linney and Will Patton. An interesting look at the phenomenon of angels without any ascribed religious belief. There are Christmas lights, trees and wrapped presents but no link is drawn between the angels acting on behalf of a specific theology. The film is based on events recorded and reported surrounding the collapse of the Silver Bridge in Point Pleasant, West Virginia that took 46 lives. Point Pleasant is one of three municipalities at the confluence of the Ohio and Kanawha Rivers. Before the tragedy, many local people were 'visited' by an entity they called the Mothman. That entity gave some precognition to one resident about plane crashes and earthquakes. Have to wrap this up. My lepidopteran friend says the sky is falling. He speaks with a Mayan accent so I'd better heed his warnings. If you survive, watch this talking/movie.

#953118 - Sun Dec 02 2012 01:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Snowman]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Last night I watched, "Star Trek: Nemesis". I had completely forgotten some very important plot points, not to mention the ending. So it was almost like watching it for the first time!

#953239 - Sun Dec 02 2012 09:31 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: gracious1]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Harvey"

Haven't seen this one since I was a little kid, what a wonderful movie.

"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it."

#953586 - Tue Dec 04 2012 03:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: gracious1]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted By: gracious1
Last night I watched, "Star Trek: Nemesis". I had completely forgotten some very important plot points, not to mention the ending. So it was almost like watching it for the first time!

The best part of that movie was seeing Janeway outrank Picard wink

Editor for Television Category

#953675 - Tue Dec 04 2012 09:07 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ladymacb29]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

"Harvey": ordered today!

#953859 - Wed Dec 05 2012 06:01 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Manchurian Candidate" the original one, from 1962.

Hard to know what to say about this one. The performances are so good,and the premise is so ridiculous. Post hypnotic suggestion just doesn't work that way. Women picking up men on the train doesn't work that way, either - we would consider a real modern woman who behaves the way Janet Leigh does in this movie to be insane, or at the very least to have real issues with her relationships with men.

But, dang, the performances are good. At the end I was thinking "Man, what a good movie" even though through much of it I'd been thinking "Ah, this is just so stupid".

#953974 - Thu Dec 06 2012 09:55 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: agony]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
We went to the new James Bond movie the other night. "Skyfall" was really the best Bond in the series, in my opinion.

#954101 - Thu Dec 06 2012 10:39 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: ClaraSue]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Sons of Katie Elder"

Good basic John Wayne western. I always like Dean Martin in a western, and Dennis Hopper plays a nasty little snot to perfection. James Gregory is the bad guy - he was one of the bad guys in "Manchurian Candidate" too.

Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong