Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 45 of 92 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 91 92 >
Topic Options
#917873 - Thu Nov 15 2012 07:27 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Terry

Good explanation Wesley... mind adding that to the FAQ now that they're out of the bag?

I think it's important that people feel less than no pressure to complete those. They're designed over over-achievers smile Many of them are incredibly difficult.

And added to the FAQ. That last question in the Epics section was always designed to hold that information once it becomes public - now it's in there in all its glory. No further mysteries...

...or are there?

#917880 - Thu Nov 15 2012 08:44 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Since the cat is out of the bag, are double flags the absolute best or are there triple flags? I'm guessing there are no triple flags, since double flags are already above and beyond normal challenges and normal mini-badges. I just thought I'd ask.

Edited by Buddy1 (Thu Nov 15 2012 08:44 PM)

#917983 - Fri Nov 16 2012 11:36 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I have a guess as to a possible further mystery. :P

#918219 - Sat Nov 17 2012 11:27 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: salami_swami]
eyhung Offline
Explorer

Loc: California USA
I have a question regarding statistics. How about showing a statistics page for the Daily Challenge, showing the leaders of Daily Challenge completers, broken down by numbers of Easy, Medium, and Difficult, and Epic?

#918229 - Sat Nov 17 2012 11:35 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: eyhung]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I stand corrected with my earlier statement. I just noticed that Matthew_07 won the Epic: Winner III mini-badge, so I guess that means there is no limit to the number of flags that can be won in a single epic.

#918234 - Sat Nov 17 2012 11:49 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Actually three is the limit. We couldn't fit four of them on a single badgelet smile

#918246 - Sat Nov 17 2012 12:56 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: eyhung]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: eyhung
How about showing a statistics page for the Daily Challenge, showing the leaders of Daily Challenge completers, broken down by numbers of Easy, Medium, and Difficult, and Epic?

The Daily Challenge is designed to be a personal challenge. There in no pressure to perform in competition with other members. The opening blurb on the "Your Daily Challenges" page says it all:

Quote:
Welcome to FunTrivia Daily Challenges! Each day you will get 3 new challenges -- give them a shot if you want to challenge yourself.
Don't worry if you can't or don't want to complete all of them. Some are easy and some are designed to be incredibly difficult. Some will be in areas you are comfortable with, and some may be in areas you have no interest in.There's always tomorrow! If you encounter a challenge that appears to be broken or any other bug, please report it here.

If you want to experience the pressures or pleasures (take your pick) of using the challenges as a vehicle to satisfy the need to compete with others, try doing it among your teammates. Or challenge other teams to some sort of competition. But please don't drag the rest of us into it with a site sponsored list of accomplishments.

#918251 - Sat Nov 17 2012 01:09 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
I have a question regarding statistics. How about showing a statistics page for the Daily Challenge, showing the leaders of Daily Challenge completers, broken down by numbers of Easy, Medium, and Difficult, and Epic?

I'd like to see this as well (perhaps sorted by a cumulative total), but perhaps further down the line where there's been a more significant amount played.

Quote:
But please don't drag the rest of us into it with a site sponsored list of accomplishments.

No need to look at the page if you don't want to; it's only a competition if you make it that way.

I'm certainly not. I like to root for other players and see where I stand amongst them. It's not about beating them, it's about watching their successes.

Edited by kyleisalive (Sat Nov 17 2012 01:10 PM)

#918252 - Sat Nov 17 2012 01:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mehaul]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: mehaul
If you want to experience the pressures or pleasures (take your pick) of using the challenges as a vehicle to satisfy the need to compete with others, try doing it among your teammates. Or challenge other teams to some sort of competition. But please don't drag the rest of us into it with a site sponsored list of accomplishments.

The bus ride and monster quiz are two games that are not timed and can be viewed as pleasure rather than pressure. Those games also have some type of stats. If those games can have stats, I see no reason why Daily Challenges can't have some stats. (I also wouldn't be opposed to Quick Quiz or even My Daily Quiz to have stats, but since this discussion is on Daily Challenges, I'm limiting myself to just that.)

#918261 - Sat Nov 17 2012 03:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Buddy1
Originally Posted By: mehaul

The bus ride and monster quiz are two games that are not timed and can be viewed as pleasure rather than pressure. Those games also have some type of stats. If those games can have stats, I see no reason why Daily Challenges can't have some stats. (I also wouldn't be opposed to Quick Quiz or even My Daily Quiz to have stats, but since this discussion is on Daily Challenges, I'm limiting myself to just that.)

This is the third or fourth time this has been brought up. I doubt, based on previous discussions on this particular topic, that any kind of stats are going to be tracked for public viewing in the near future. If you want to see the discussions they're in one of both of the bugs/ideas threads. I can't look for them right now, but I can post links later when I get the chance to look.

#918263 - Sat Nov 17 2012 03:39 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/829608/3

There's a link for people who use 30 posts/page settings...although the discussion wasn't exactly about a cumulative stats list there was a mention of it somewhere in there...

#918289 - Sat Nov 17 2012 05:36 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Mariamir]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

This is the "bugs and questions" thread, not the "discuss whether this post is in the correct place in this thread" thread.

The challenge ideas thread is for exactly that: ideas for new daily challenges. Not for general improvements to the system. Terry needs that thread easily legible and to the point when it comes to adding new challenges.

The bugs thread is primarily for reporting issues: any problems you may have with the daily challenges, whether they are caused by the system or simply something you don't understand.

Requesting a feature for the game is not really either of these two and would thus ideally be placed in a new thread although it is okay here especially if it's something quick and easily described.

Discussing whether a post is appropriate on this thread is however clearly not an appropriate discussion for this thread. If a post is inappropriate, a moderator, administrator or, in a pinch, another staff member with expertise in the thread subject will state so and then that's it.

Thanks to everyone here for following the above.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Sat Nov 17 2012 05:56 PM)

#918319 - Sat Nov 17 2012 09:00 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Thanks Wes. As for the request, it is not currently planned, and if I were to add it, it would likely be at least a year out, after everyone has done fretting about missing out on a challenge or two.

Edited by Terry (Sun Nov 18 2012 03:24 AM)

#918322 - Sat Nov 17 2012 10:37 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alberta Canada
Originally Posted By: Barbarini
I'm not sure if this has been addressed earlier - sorry but didn't have the heart to go through 30+ pages of notes - yesterday had the Who's the Expert challenge. My opponent played one game with a score of 1456 early in the day which I matched during the last round of Expert before the challenges reset.

I seem to have won the challenge though which might be a little unfair as I would have expected the person who got the identical score first would have taken it. Or, perhaps we should have both succeeded in the challenge because it was a tie? Can anyone clarify please? Thanks!

Terry, I was hoping you (or Wes?) could respond to the note above which I posted several days ago. You have very courteously addressed several other issues which came after mine but perhaps you missed mine. At any rate, here it is again. Would appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Thank you.

#918326 - Sat Nov 17 2012 11:05 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Something to go along with the previous question:
Why is this a challenge that you must wait until midnight to complete? Why isn't it awarded after both players play 4 games each?

#918328 - Sat Nov 17 2012 11:26 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Originally Posted By: Buddy1
Something to go along with the previous question:
Why is this a challenge that you must wait until midnight to complete? Why isn't it awarded after both players play 4 games each?

It was said previously that it is intentionally set up to complete at midnight to avoid having one player essentially force the other to complete games early on so that further purchases could be made. It is more fair to both players to have it complete at midnight.

#918329 - Sat Nov 17 2012 11:58 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

I must have missed that, or maybe it was the fact that I didn't understand the response. What exactly do you mean? How would it force the others to complete games early?

#918332 - Sun Nov 18 2012 12:13 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Buddy1]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Hypothetical:

Say that the challenge completes when both players finish 4 games. I'm going for the 10-in-a-Day and I've got 2 incomplete challenges, with more challenges left to buy to complete my 10. One of my incomplete challenges is Expert, with you as my partner, and the other I have already failed, even with my swap, meaning I must win Expert to continue my progress. I've completed my 4 games and now am stuck until you finish your 4. The point in having it complete at midnight is so that I, the player waiting on you to finish, doesn't pester you all day and try to guilt/force you into completing your 4 games, no matter the category, so that I can continue on my quest to get 10 challenges. It would not be fair to you in this situation. It would put unnecessary pressure on you to finish the challenge quickly, most likely with unfavorable categories. This case also brings up the possibility that if you don't play to complete the challenge, I might blame you for ruining my run, because you could have done something and didn't. This could cause me to send you nasty messages for messing up my run at the badgelet. All of that pressure and such is completely eliminated if the challenge completes at midnight. It would also be more fair to you, giving you the chance to play categories of your choosing to give you the best shot at winning the challenge for yourself.

Does that help at all?

Edited by kaddarsgirl (Sun Nov 18 2012 12:17 AM)

#918340 - Sun Nov 18 2012 01:49 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Good grief. I can honestly say THAT possible scenario has never entered my mind. If anyone's to blame it's usually just the three of us (me, myself and I) LOL.

I'm guessing (and he/she can correct me by all means) that what Buddy was trying to say is that (no matter WHAT time of day it was) if both parties had both played their (maximum of) four games, then, essentially the game is already over, even if there's still 11 hours to go til midnight FT time. It would also be over if one person had played all four, but hadn't managed to beat the other person's score, even if the other player had only played one game. So the challenge definitely "could" be awarded well before the witching hour. I'm assuming the code for such instances above wouldn't be too horrid to assemble, since you "automatically" get the "completed" checkmark for any of the matching scores in the Twins game AS SOON AS they occur.

Anyhoo, I'd also be interested in hearing the answer to Barbarini's question about the "tie going to the runner, or the one on base, or throw the dice".

Edited by Jakeroo (Sun Nov 18 2012 02:07 AM)

#918360 - Sun Nov 18 2012 03:25 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I'm not sure if this has been addressed earlier - sorry but didn't have the heart to go through 30+ pages of notes - yesterday had the Who's the Expert challenge. My opponent played one game with a score of 1456 early in the day which I matched during the last round of Expert before the challenges reset.

I seem to have won the challenge though which might be a little unfair as I would have expected the person who got the identical score first would have taken it. Or, perhaps we should have both succeeded in the challenge because it was a tie? Can anyone clarify please? Thanks!

Terry, I was hoping you (or Wes?) could respond to the note above which I posted several days ago. You have very courteously addressed several other issues which came after mine but perhaps you missed mine. At any rate, here it is again. Would appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Thank you.

Dunno, I suspect it's random (i.e. whatever record the database picks out first). It's something that could be changed if needed.

#918364 - Sun Nov 18 2012 03:37 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

I agree ties should have a consistent treatment. In Expert, I would let the second best score decide, in Nemesis either have both players win or give the win to the one listed second (i.e. who generated the challenge later) since they technically had slightly less time.

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Sun Nov 18 2012 03:37 AM)

#918372 - Sun Nov 18 2012 05:45 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
I agree ties should have a consistent treatment. In Expert, I would let the second best score decide, in Nemesis either have both players win or give the win to the one listed second (i.e. who generated the challenge later) since they technically had slightly less time.

The latter seems slightly less fair than random, lol! "First come first served" seems more fitting than "last in, automatic win" if you want to remove the random. (First one there beat the other one to it, and last one there failed to beat the set score. ??)

Just a thought - if both players can win then it would pay to collude with your opponent to get the same score, thus turning it into a twin challenge instead of nemesis.

Edited by Chavs (Sun Nov 18 2012 05:48 AM)

#918374 - Sun Nov 18 2012 05:51 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Chavs]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I like Wes's suggestion for WTE, with the next best score being the decider. I'm not sure about the other one. Because of geography, some players already have an advantage. In the UK, midnight on FT is 6 a.m. at present, so the score I have when I go to bed is the best I'm going to get. It sets a target for my nemesis to aim at. It's the reason I don't think I'll ever get Endurance - I had over 30K points one day last week and still failed.

#918394 - Sun Nov 18 2012 08:38 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: rossian]
Barbarini Offline
Enthusiast

Thank you all very much for your response and suggestions. How about we make it reeeallllly easy and just give it to the person who scores the tie first?

#918399 - Sun Nov 18 2012 09:51 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Barbarini]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Normally first played is better, but in the case of Nemesis, the second player to grab the challenge has a (very minor) disadvantage in that he has a minute or two less during which he actually knows what he's playing for. So if I had to decide, I would side with the second to start the challenge in this particular case.

In Expert, second highest score is in my opinion the obvious tiebreaker (and would also make playing another game worth it even after a very good first one)

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Sun Nov 18 2012 09:54 AM)

Page 45 of 92 < 1 2 ... 43 44 45 46 47 ... 91 92 >

Moderator:  Terry