Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#917934 - Fri Nov 16 2012 08:04 AM Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I have got to the stage where I must pick a title from the "Authors Challenge" list and place it in one of four categories. This I did, but it did not register on AinA, even when the quiz went live.

I wrote a second quiz and at first the details appeared on the AinA page, but now they are no longer there. The quiz is still in the queue for an editor.

After the time and effort involved in creating quizzes, I am loathe to attempt another one to see if it is a case of third time lucky.

Any suggestions please?

#917935 - Fri Nov 16 2012 08:25 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
My fault. In the requirements for the challenge I actually put the number 22 rather than the number 21. In other words, Humanities counted; People didn't.

Really sorry; should be fixed now.

Thanks for spotting it though! Make sure to double check your new quiz is eligible for the task for me. smile

#917936 - Fri Nov 16 2012 08:36 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: kyleisalive]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

I have just checked the quiz and another editor has changed it from Photography to Wild Birds (UK) so it is no longer eligible

#917937 - Fri Nov 16 2012 08:40 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
Forum Champion

Well, on the bright side it pushes you not only to your 10 Author Challenges badge, but your 5 Categories badge. wink

If you happen to write your next one in People (for this task) let me know if it ends up working or not; I think some authors have made it through on other categories, so here's hoping. It *should* count. smile

#917970 - Fri Nov 16 2012 10:16 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: kyleisalive]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

I am going to take a rest from that challenge - five quizzes in a week is enough for me

#917972 - Fri Nov 16 2012 10:24 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
Forum Champion

Lol, no problem. I hope you've been enjoying it! smile

#917973 - Fri Nov 16 2012 10:26 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: kyleisalive]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

not really, to be honest, but once started I did not want to give up

#917977 - Fri Nov 16 2012 10:41 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
Forum Champion

Lol, well, I hope it pays off in the end. wink

If you're not interested in writing you may find it a bit of a slog though.

Edited to add: I would move you on to the next stage as your first one should've counted, but I have no way of doing it. The only one who would be able to to would be Terry. Unfortunately, the issue was overlooked not only by myself, but those who looked through it before it went online. Sometimes it happens. :s

Edited by kyleisalive (Fri Nov 16 2012 10:44 AM)

#917978 - Fri Nov 16 2012 10:58 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: kyleisalive]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

it is a pity that I just paid for membership when I really do not want to be here now

it is *NOT* lol to me

#917979 - Fri Nov 16 2012 11:06 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
Forum Champion

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how else to help with this. I'm disappointed that you're caught in a bad predicament and I'm sorry you feel that way about the site as a whole based on your experience with this new game. It wasn't my intent to have a bug in there but, like I said, it happens.

Hopefully you'll still make the best of your membership should you decide to stay.

#917981 - Fri Nov 16 2012 11:13 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: kyleisalive]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I'm copying this from another thread, because I think it bears on the topic here.

I'd like to give a general word of advice to any author writing specifically for a challenge, where it is important that the quiz go into a particular category. If it *really matters* where your quiz goes, check with an editor in that category *before* you start writing. There is no point in guessing and hoping, when someone who actually knows the answer to your question is right here, willing and able to help. The editors in a category are listed on every page in that category - just send a message and ask.

#917982 - Fri Nov 16 2012 11:16 AM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: agony]
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: agony
I'm copying this from another thread, because I think it bears on the topic here.

I'd like to give a general word of advice to any author writing specifically for a challenge, where it is important that the quiz go into a particular category. If it *really matters* where your quiz goes, check with an editor in that category *before* you start writing. There is no point in guessing and hoping, when someone who actually knows the answer to your question is right here, willing and able to help. The editors in a category are listed on every page in that category - just send a message and ask.

Thanks Agony.

Authors and new players, please note that this is also mentioned throughout the Adventures in Authoring game. Our goal is to ensure that authors, new and old alike, learn how to construct amazing quizzes while learning the guidelines. Reading through the game, specifically through the writing hints and tips, will really pay off if you're interested in submitting quizzes. smile

#918004 - Fri Nov 16 2012 02:13 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: kyleisalive]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

The point of this is that I DID follow the rules,used the correct category, but the challenge writer made a mistake.

The category of the second quiz has been changed. OK, I accept that But do not agree with the revised category as it is not JUST about UK wild birds. There should be a section in Hobbies for birdwatching.

#918007 - Fri Nov 16 2012 02:36 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
Kyle has apologised for the mistake, and I'm sure he feels really bad about it. He's explained that he does not have the ability to treat your quiz as qualifying and move you to the next stage - if he did, he would, since it was his error.

I understand your annoyance - I think I'd be pretty mad if it had happened to me. Kyle was trying to make things a bit better by pointing out that the change of category would give you two badges, which you wouldn't otherwise have attained. There is no time limit on the Adventures challenge, so why not take a break and come back to it later?

I congratulate you on achieving so many quizzes in such a short space of time. For someone new to quiz writing, it's admirable. You should post them in the Author Lounge for the November quiz writing challenge.

Adventures is a new challenge, so the odd hiccup has to be expected. It's unfortunate that it happened to a new author, as those of us who have been around longer have had similar experiences and lived through them. Writing for the Great Quiz Race led to a few mishaps and misreading of clues, where we had to write a second quiz to get it in the right category. That was against the clock, too.

I'm sorry you've had this bad experience, and hope that you'll feel less upset about it in a few days.

#918013 - Fri Nov 16 2012 03:10 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: rossian]
Forum Champion

Quote:
Kyle has apologised for the mistake, and I'm sure he feels really bad about it.

Pretty much.

Quote:
The point of this is that I DID follow the rules,used the correct category, but the challenge writer made a mistake.

Already acknowledged. smirk

Quote:
The category of the second quiz has been changed. OK, I accept that But do not agree with the revised category as it is not JUST about UK wild birds. There should be a section in Hobbies for birdwatching.

This was up to the discretion of the editor in Hobbies. If your quiz contained question/info about the birds, it likely would've had a better fit amongst the bird mixture quizzes in Animals. If the questions were about techniques used while birdwatching, devices used in the hobby, etc. it probably would've fit in the 'Outdoor Activities' section of Hobbies. If you ever have a question about the recategorization of your quiz, an editor will be happy to answer and questions and explain the move. It's not a message to argue, of course, but a message we can use to get a common understanding and, perhaps, instigate any changes necessary to get the quiz where you want it (eg. changing/rewording/shaping a few questions).

As a side-note, I'm sorry if you felt offended by any of the comments I've made in regards to this issue. As I've said, it's completely your choice if you want to continue or not; none of this is mandatory. Authors can write their entire collection of quizzes without touching the game. It is just a game. They can decide not to write at all; some players just don't want to. That's fine too.

I suggested that if you wanted to make another one you would let me know the outcome; I want to make sure that it's working now; in fact, I know it's working now. No obligation. If you don't want to you don't have to.

As I also said before, if I could push you onto the next task without you having to write another submission, it'd already have been done. I have neither the technical know-how to do it nor the access to anything like it. I built the game using a system that Terry originally created for the Great Quiz Race. There are no cheats-- not even for me. Please don't get the impression I'm doing it to sneak more quizzes out of you.

I mean, I always like to see more quizzes...

...but more importantly I also like to see authors get their justified rewards. I would expect the same.

Otherwise, congratulations on your first five quizzes. smile

#918017 - Fri Nov 16 2012 03:19 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: kyleisalive]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Thank you, but I have used up all of my ideas for now so I have moved on to reviving old Chain-Games on the Games Board

Edited because I forgot to bash the space bar - obviously I am not mad enough

Edited by zippolover (Fri Nov 16 2012 03:20 PM)

#918038 - Fri Nov 16 2012 03:45 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Sometimes we just need a break from quiz writing. I do hope you decide to give it another go in the future, but perhaps a break is for the best. You really zipped right through the first few, faster than most! And for that, I congratulate you.

#918039 - Fri Nov 16 2012 03:48 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
Buddy1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Originally Posted By: zippolover
it is a pity that I just paid for membership when I really do not want to be here now

I wouldn't give up hope for this site just because of the quiz. There are lots of other parts to this site. Perhaps one of those will be more enjoyable.

#918041 - Fri Nov 16 2012 03:50 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: salami_swami]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Subliminal message - if it was to cheer me up, it did not get through

#918042 - Fri Nov 16 2012 03:55 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
You've done an amazing amount of writing, zippolover. I am only up to step 3, and made the embarrassing mistake of not even targeting a correct category. blush cry I enjoyed the process of writing that quiz, but I still have to write another one before I can proceed. Since I expect the adventure will take months to complete, I am not going to rush it, but wait for an inspiration that will fit where it belongs.

#918045 - Fri Nov 16 2012 03:58 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Well, here's another subliminal message then. Perhaps multiple messages will get through. smile

If not, how's this?

Cheer up, zippolover,
Buy a hoodie with a hippo cover.
That doesn't make sense, but at least they rhyme,
Perhaps this ditty will cheer you up this time.

smile

#918062 - Fri Nov 16 2012 04:57 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: salami_swami]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

blush I got a poem written just for me blush

The moved quiz got through with no correction notices - Yay me

#918066 - Fri Nov 16 2012 05:04 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: zippolover]
rossian Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
It's a good quiz - I just played it. The more quizzes you write, the easier it becomes. It doesn't mean you won't get corrections, but the process of putting a quiz together becomes less stressful. You're honoured - Salami has never written me a poem!

#918076 - Fri Nov 16 2012 05:33 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: rossian]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Since I was the editor who moved the quiz, I should quickly state two things:

First, the quiz was 10/10 about identifying specific birds. It gave a description of the bird and asked the species. This, much as I would have liked it (it is a good quiz), is not a fit for Hobbies but a perfect fit for Animals (which even has a UK birds subcategory, matching your setting of being in a British garden and watching birds). As Kyle stated, had you concentrated on techniques for birdwatching and photographing birds, it would have been a perfect fit in Hobbies and I would have gladly put it online.

The second thing, and that is a hint that I want to give you for the future, is that I could not know you wanted the quiz in a specific category. That's exactly what we have the optional editor notes for: you could have indicated something so that I would have known you are writing for AinA and need a Hobbies quiz. In that case, I would have sent it back to you with some change requests that would have made the quiz fit the category. Without knowing about your situation, however, I simply saw a good UK birds quiz, so I sent it over to Animals where it could make it online quickly.

I didn't want to frustrate you - I simply had no information to go by other than seeing a very good UK birds quiz, so I did to it what seemed best for the quiz. Sorry for that!

(Kyle - maybe you can add a part to the later stages of the game where no one has arrived yet about categorizing and using editor notes...)

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Fri Nov 16 2012 05:42 PM)

#918114 - Fri Nov 16 2012 11:53 PM Re: Adventures in Authoring (AinA) problem [Re: WesleyCrusher]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I'll make you a poem, Rossian,
But there is just one caution.
Since there's nothing specific to write about,
The last line won't even rhyme.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  agony, gtho4