Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#950181 - Mon Nov 19 2012 10:30 AM Thanks, but... no
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Pam called me this morning to say she had the following for me: (a) my rent receipt, (ba) reading material, and (c) a card of some sort. Would I like her to bring it up? Yes I would. “I have some other receipts to drop off, but then I’ll be up.”

The reading material came in the form of a ‘Stone Soup’ magazine. That went on my bookshelf. As for the receipt? The kitchen table seemed a good place (at least, for the moment?

The card, I had her open just to confirm my suspicions: Yesterday, I heard from my one and only high school friend, who told me she’d received an invitation to a class reunion (it went to her parents’ house). I figured, when I heard the street address, that this was the same (and it went to the wrong mailbox).

“Both Tiffany and I agreed years ago that we would have no reason to attend such a function, as the majority of our classmates treated both of us like dirt—and the few that were actually nice later wanted nothing to do with us (the only example worth mentioning was a mutual friend who, after graduation, didn’t return e-mails or phone calls).

I realize that people can change, but nobody who will be at that reunion treated me well eno ugh to make it worthwhile (and Tiffany couldn’t agree more. As she told me yesterday, “The only reason I’d have gone is if I had an excuse to go and show them up”—i.e., if she’d married someone both rich and good-looking. As it is, the best we can say for ourselves is that we live on our own—and that she owns her house).

I added that, supposing I’d wanted to go at some point, everything changed the moment I broke my leg (so I dropped that card in the trash, thinking **thanks, but no *thanks).

#951236 - Fri Nov 23 2012 11:07 PM Re: Thanks, but... no [Re: Jazmee27]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

I'd rather spend the day with Tiffany without the reunion (which is, unless she calls to say she can't, just what we'll do--it took a while for it to sink in that the day she's coming is the same day as the reunion]

#951290 - Sat Nov 24 2012 03:33 AM Re: Thanks, but... no [Re: Jazmee27]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I think you're right to prefer spending the reunion day with your real friend, than being upset by memories and old classmates who didn't appreciate you.

#953172 - Sun Dec 02 2012 03:37 PM Re: Thanks, but... no [Re: Santana2002]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Tiffany’s not feeling well, as she has a sinus infection, so our plans have been postponed for this upcoming Saturday (after her surgery on Wednesday to clear her sinuses). We were talking on Friday about the invitations, and:
- Both of us received it after the RSVP date of November 17. [Forget, for a second, that I don’t routinely check my mail, because it was sent to the wrong box; and as for hers, it was sent to her parents’ house. Also, this was the ten-year reunion—so what about the five-year mark?]]
Mom told me the other day to hold on to things like that in future “unless you don’t want any contact from those people.” [Not sure I do… but, seeing as I wasn’t raised to be vindictive I suppose I’ll check that they have my correct address—which, come to think of it, they likely don’t.]

Moderator:  ren33, sue943