Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95116 - Fri Jan 28 2000 04:07 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
First of all, I am terribly sorry that I got behind on answering all of you and I hope you will forgive me so I am going to answer each one of you individually. Thanks to all for your help. You are all so kind.

#95117 - Fri Jan 28 2000 04:12 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

gtho, I also had a great time and laughed so much at times, I had tears in my eyes. Did you ever see the post in the Tavern that I kicked up to the top about Cyberspeach?

Now, what do you mean that it's spooky reading about what you're going thru and the bits and pieces about u and your past from your posts? I was born two day after Halloween but I don't recall being called spooky. just joking. What do you mean?

#95118 - Fri Jan 28 2000 04:16 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Astrix, I experience the exact same thing as your husband just before I have one. I see little flashes of light out of the corner of my eyes. I will try some of your wonderful tips and I really do appreciate you sharing them with me.

#95119 - Fri Jan 28 2000 04:52 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Darcy thank you for sharing. I do something quite similar. I imagine myself walking down the beach where the sand is warm and I can feel the sun on my face and the wind blowing in my hair. I can smell the ocean and I can hear the waves crashing against the rocks. It seems to help some. I learned this technique from yoga classes. Thanks again for your help.

#95120 - Sat Jan 29 2000 09:47 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
JJ, yep I did see that Cyberspeach one LOL !!
I've gone back and reread the post and reread the post and reread the post, and now I can't remember precisely what I was going on about on that day. No wonder u were lost. I know I'd taken all my medication (just kidding!) Around that time I'd been reading posts and posting here there and everywhere, and crying from laughing at some of them, and we'd be stumbling across our posts round the boards. Some of your posts were reading me quite well too I might add! I was losing track of where I was and where I'd been and which post was next. Anyway, one of your posts then said you were once engaged to an accountant! (RU keeping up with this?) It was just that I felt you'd read me well and it was sort of like you knew me already! It also seemed like you'd also been a bit of a workaholic too. In retrospect spooked is probably not quite the right word ... maybe the word eerie would've been a better choice (if it ain't, shoot me with both barrels, preferably one at a time)
hai capito? ciao ciao!
(picked up a few words when on holidays in Italy in 78 and 80)

#95121 - Sun Jan 30 2000 01:26 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
pj165354 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: London England UK
Hello all,

I have suffered from MYgraines all my life. In my very young days it was thought that it was bright sunshine that brought them on. In my teens it was put forward that certain food caused them (cheese, chocolate etc.,). No remedy could be found.
However a few years ago I was subjected to a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety, this brought an untold number of migraines, some slight and some that felt like my head would burst.
My GP (MD in the States??) became concerned and requested me to go onto an anti-depressant. Initially I was very reluctant as I do not agree with many man-made medicines. After a further attack I relented and was put onto the mildest form of a well known anti-depressant. After about 3 weeks I felt a lot better. Having successfully dealt with the cause of my stress/anxiety I have still maintained the daily dosage.
I have to now state, touching wood, that I have not suffered any sort of migraine for 18 or so months.
Now I'm not recommending that anybody start taking anti-depressents BUT they certainly helped me AND I fully believe that once the cause is identified the remedy is out there. I have every sympathy for sufferers and only hope that you find your remedy soon.

Good Luck one and all,

Cheers PJ (on the beat)

#95122 - Sun Jan 30 2000 01:41 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

pj165354, I am glad that you found some relief. I have only started experiencing these headaches for the past couple of years. I am going to try some the great suggestions that you all have given me. I probably will not start on anti-depressants yet because I can get pretty wacky naturally, can you imagine me on some kind of medication.

#95123 - Sun Jan 30 2000 01:56 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

gtho4, well hush my puppies! (I copied that phrase from a friend of mine) I got it!!! By George I got it. All of a sudden I understood exactly what you were talking about!! Boy, you can put a horse on a race track, but that doesn't he'll want to run!! CYA soon, ciao.

[This message has been edited by JoJo2 (edited 01-30-2000).]

#95124 - Mon Jan 31 2000 02:41 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
CQ CQ
roger wilko
10 4
over and out

keep on trucking
blah blah grin grin

#95125 - Mon Feb 07 2000 12:00 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Loc: UK
Sue asked me to visit with you as she says I'm an expert on migraines. I only I weren't!!! I run an email chat group where we exchange tips and moans and groans and here's a few I've gleaned from the members and from my own experience.
Firstly, food is not always a factor in classic migraine. Trigger factors can be completely different things for each sufferer. For some it may well be cheese, oranges or chocolate but for many it is other completely diverse things.
For instance some of my triggers are most perfume smells, fluorescent lights, all alcohol and lack of sleep. For others it is bright lights or certain rythmic sounds. I cannot bear anyone walking in the same room when I'm suffering.
Like many people mine come at dawn and for the last several years - having tried almost every medication and alternative therapy around - I've been using a Sumatriptan injection. It takes around 10 to 40 mins to work - if I use my oxygen tank - a valuable tool for less severe migraine as it can sometimes completely eradicate them, recovery can be down to as little as 4 minutes, although I do need about a quarter of hour or more sleep as I'm just plain tired!
I wake and either throw up or feel as if I am.
I rarely get daytime attacks but travelling as a passanger on long journeys - the combination of fumes and stiffness - can be a trigger. But not every time.
And that is the dilemma. Sometimes even known triggers come across by accident don't cause a mig! In my Advice Clinic I sometimes get clients with overpowering ghastly (to my nose) perfume and have to spend half an hour or even longer feeling stifled. The smell seems to linger but one day it'll be a trigger and the next not.
There is one common theory surrently around bu sadly it is only of curiousity value as you'll see.
It's been postulated that Migraineurs all have a larger brain stem than the 'norm'. This is only found at post mortem - so it serves no purpose at all in the quest for relief! Just thought it was interesting as the area of the hyperthalamus is where the migs start and they are close.
Now I have now been prescribed Amitriptylene - the mild ante-depressant someone mentioned and like her, I have so far had very optimistic results. I sleep better and out of the last five days only had a mild migraine on one. For the last couple of months I have been suffering daily.
Hope this helps.
I'll visit again next week.
Hillsider

#95126 - Sun Feb 06 2000 01:12 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Reading all your messages I think underlines my previous point that migraines are as diverse as the sufferers. I see someone mentioned a cold shower - for me a very hot as I can stand shower can sometimes relieves the pain followed by oxygen.
I also use a cold pak on my eyes and I have a special Cool Cap you can buy here in UK which I put on my head. I look plain daft but as any Migraineur will tell you, that is the least of our worries!
Some people find they want heat - some cold, my advice is to try and see which works.
I also find that sitting propped up during an attack gives better relief than lying done. Something to do with the blood flow!
I also have black out curtains in our bedroom although I have never ever had flashing lights, I do not want to open my eyes at all. Also I find I can barel speak as to form the words vibrates through my head. What a sorry sight!
So the message is to keep trying to find whatever helps you through the attack and the way we don't say Cure for Migraine - we say Control!!!
There's lots more info from the Migraine Action Association. Mail me if anyone wants deails or if you want to join the Migpain group to chat some more. By the way although we tell each other what works for us, there is absolutely NO selling and anyone coming on trying to flog their own particular remedy is barred!
Just thought I'd mention it though it may be taken as read here at Fun Triv.
A mig-free week ahead to you... I'll try and call in again next weekend but work has taken me out of the Triv loop for a bit - and we have to earn to keep a roof over our heads!
Best wishes
Val
Hillsider

------------------
Hillsider

#95127 - Mon Feb 07 2000 04:42 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hillsider, I feel so sorry for way you have suffered. I really do appreciate you sharing all the information with us. One my main problems with migraines is sleeping. If seems like when I close my eyes the pain gets worse or I seem to concentrate on the pain even more. I find that if I pet my rabbit it seems to soothe me somewhat, I guess it kind of keeps my mind off of the pain a little. We would appreciate any additional advice that you would like to share with us. Once again, thank you.

#95128 - Mon Feb 07 2000 08:14 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
ren32 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fanling Hong Kong
Strange you mention the rabbit Jojo I reckon animals can do a lot for us. My mother had the most appalling migraines, and i remember tiptoeing around the house while she lay in a dark room, We lived with my grandmother, who was an absolute darling,but after my gran died my mother never got another migraine. She thought that it was worrying about gran who worked so hard. Then also she had got a dog (mum i mean) after the death of gran, so whether the two are linked ...
In those days all you got from the doc were pheeno-barbitone .. a very strong sleeping pill. Im sure they are stress linked JoJo and animals remove stress you know that. So what im trying to say is remove the stress and get lots of critters... love Ren

#95129 - Mon Feb 07 2000 10:42 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I think you are right about pets Ren. I am thinking about getting another bunny. Jackie, my rabbit, is a dwarf and only weighs two pounds, so I could hold a bunch of them.

#95130 - Sat Feb 12 2000 09:58 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

More tips for migraine sufferers... JoJo2 says lying down is awful. I agree and the best way is to prop yourself up against a pillow or cushion so that you are in a sitting position with the head held above the body. It minimises the throbbing just a little.
An oxygen tank - if you can get one. In UK Doc's aren't allowed the prescribe them except for chest patients - but I have a friendly local pharmacist.... her son is also a migraineur. You should only take oxygen for up to fifteen minutes. As soon as the pain starts to lift, stop, and rturn if necessary if the pain begins to swell up again. If after 15 mins the pain is the same, stop the oxygen anyway. You can try again after a break. It doesn't always work for me on its own but it does seem to speed the preferred drug through the system.
You mentioned animals and their therpeutic effect. I agree, if the migraine is stress induced! But for some people the reasons they get them seem obscure. Personally I have had wonderful years and heart-rending bad years - but my migs have never changed their pattern over 30 years. I blame my genes as both mother and grandmother suffered.
The cold compresses for forehead, eyes or even complete head are very soothing for those who feel they are burning up. A hot water bottle for those who feel chilled.
Some people feel better if they put on warm socks and gloves. My only advice is to experiment with tips you glean from others and do what feels right for you. It won't cure them but hopefully, you can find something that helps you through each attack.

------------------
Hillsider

#95131 - Sat Feb 12 2000 10:14 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

An addendum to the rabbit petting but associated thing really.
We just had to have our last dog put down - throat cancer - and since it was diagnosed I've been feeling so very sorry for her and worrying about WHEN would be the right time to say goodbye to her. She went downhill quite quickly and when she couldn't even swallow a small soft treat without gagging we knew we had to make that most fearsome of decisions. Two things happened that night.
I began on the new tranquilliser medication in an effort to beat the daily migraine and I also felt less stressed about Jessica. I'd done my crying - and although even now I miss her pitta patta around the house - I know it was the kindest and wisest way to go. Which does promote a certain degree of calmness.
So did Jessica's inevitable death release me from the stream of migraines - or was it the Amitriptylene? I shall never know. I stayed mig-free for 4 days - then 4 days back again and as I write today I am again 3 days free - and counting. The sheer joy of waking up and not having to run to the bathroom to throw up is quite exhilerating. And some people feel like this every morning I guess...
A bit more news is a medical chat group I belong too posted a new paper on Migraine. A professor has done a study and come up with a new form - Transformed Migraine - as in migs that come on a daily basis first thing in the morning. My classic scenario!
He concludes the best way to stop the loop is to get the patient off medication - which constant use could be triggering a vicious circle. His prime candidate for this was exactly the drug my Doc had prescribed. I shall tell him cos h was just basing it on the associated depression and said it was really a bit of a flyer - but suck it and see sort of thing.
So if you are having DAILY migraines then it seems one of the tranquillisers just could break the cycle.
For the less frequent ones, there doesn't seem to be any data.
Mig-free days to you.....
Val

------------------
Hillsider

#95132 - Sat Feb 12 2000 10:59 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hillsider, I am so sorry to hear about Jessica. It sounds like you loved her as much as you would your best friend. She probably was one of your best friends. I am sure that she is looking down from heaven with a big smile on her little face in remembrance of the love and care that you gave her. She is at peace now and I know that she will be happy when your tears subside. She would never want to see you sad. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you for being such a loving pet owner. I will say a prayer for Jessica and one for you. I am sure that the healing process will take some time, but try to feel some warmth in your heart for being such a loving parent.

#95133 - Sat Feb 12 2000 11:02 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hillsider, when you mentioned socks it reminded me of one thing that I do that helps me relax during a mig. I soak my feet in hot water as I am trying to relax. It seems to help a little bit.

#95134 - Sun Feb 13 2000 12:37 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
Hillsider, I can relate with you dog. I lost my cat about 3 weeks ago, never knew what happend, or why he did, he was still young. I am still morning him. It took me four days to bury him, I just couldn't say goodbye.

There was a beta blocker I took years ago for migrains. I don't suffer from them anymore however. I wish that I could remember the name of it though.

Each person is different I think on what foods and drinks they need to stay away from. My sister has to watch her wine consumption because they can bring them on. I have found with her that when her blood pressure is high, she seems to get them more often. She did not even know that she had a problem with high blood pressure.

Maybe this should be checked out when a migrain is in full force and see it this is the cause.

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

#95135 - Sat Feb 12 2000 05:40 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Thank you JoJo2 for your kind words. I am over the crying but it's odd what a big doggy sized space she filled which is now so empty. I reach for my car keys and still look up expecting to see her getting up and ambling very slowly - she was never a fast mover - towards me and expecting to get in the car. She didn't like car journeys really - we had to tranquilliser her for long journeys. But she seemed to enjoy coming out to the garage with me, jumping in the back seat whilst I reversed out and then, when I parked up by the door to load my gear, she'd pop back into the house again looking for a biscuit!
You're so right. She was well loved. Probably more over the past two years as we'd had to have our older dog, Chloe, put down when her diabetes got too bad. We kept her going with daily pee samples and appropriate insulin injections for nearly 3 years! When we came home after her, there was still Jess to come home to. Now it's all so empty.
However, as I am scheduled for surgery again soonish I agree with Nearest & Dearest who says we should wait a while before going for another dog. He would be stuck with visiting me - an hour and half away - plus running our business alone - de-frosting his meals... Yes I have to make enough to last him when I have various operations as he is NOT new man in the domestic department!
I stray from the subject but just wanted to share a bit about Jess. Hope you don't mind. Parting is hell - but we must carry on singing!
Oh and incidentally, I've now have THREE clear mornings without migs. I can't believe how WELL it makes me feel. If this is what taking tranquillises can do, then count me in!
Best to you
Hillsider

#95136 - Sat Feb 12 2000 06:13 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hillsider, I hope your surgery will be very successful and that your recovery will be fast.

[This message has been edited by JoJo2 (edited 02-13-2000).]

#95137 - Wed Feb 16 2000 12:47 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
applesauceprincess Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Seguin, TX, USA
Hello to all...

My friend recently told me about this site - when you get migraines regularly at college, all your friends are looking out for you. It's nice to know I'm loved.

The advice regarding amitriptyline is right-on. It's an antidepressant, one of whose side-effects happens to be preventing migraines. The great thing about it is that, even without health insurance, a one-month supply (you take it every night before bed) only costs between $5-7. Not a lot of money if it can prevent some serious pain, and it does. I don't always think so, but every once-in-a-while I forget to take it for 2 or 3 nights in a row, and I'm reminded that it does its job quite well. Definitley worth a shot.

As far as Excedrin Migraine goes, I worked at a pharmacy for a few years in high school, and asked the pharmacist about it. It may work on less-severe migraines because of the caffeine, but the active ingredients are exactly the same (and so are the amounts) as regular Excedrin (just read the backs of the boxes), and the regular stuff is cheaper. So be careful that you don't pay for the name.

As for food triggers, my mom made a good suggestion to me last year. Keep a food journal, and record EVERYTHING you eat, as well as when you migraines occur and how bad they are. Sleep patterns could also be added. You know the common triggers, so take one thing (chocolate, red wine, peanuts, cheese, etc.) out of your diet each week and just see what happens.

One other thing that I've heard highly recommended is a daily supplement of calcium and magnesium. You need pretty high doses for it to work, so a multi-vitamin doesn't cut it. I forget the exact figures, all I know is that I take tablets with 333mg Ca, 133mg Mg, and 5 mg of Zinc, and I have to take 3 a day. I just started this, so I can't really vouch for it yet, but at this point I'm willing to try almost anything.

Hope this advice helps someone out there, perhaps someday soon we'll have it all figured out, but until then, adios.

Applesauceprincess

P.S. Imitrex nasal sprays are my saving grace, so if you have medical insurance, don't waste another day!

#95138 - Wed Feb 16 2000 10:47 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hello and welcome applesauceprincess!! Thank you for your wonderful tips, I will keep them in mind. I am so happy, I have gone four months now without one. I was scared that just as soon as I said something I would have one, but right now I am thrilled. I am happy that you have people around you who love you and are there for you. You must be a very special person and I hope you will come back and visit us.

#95139 - Sat Feb 19 2000 05:36 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Isn't it odd how all migraineurs seem to have different triggers and different methods of coping.
I was v. interested in the vitamin supplement idea. I have been taken largish doses of Calcium for years - to help my osteo-arthritis - allegedly! I daren't stop in case it isn't doing anything and you never know until you stop - and crumble to the deck in bits!!! Well that's how I feel sometimes with oste- gnawing its way inside me. Although I have to say that compared with migraine - back pain I can handle! It's the inconvenience of restricted moements that bugs me! No running bare-footed in the meadow.... OK I didn't actually run bare-footed, but I did used to run regularly with the dogs and I HATE being disabled now.
ut as I say, I'd handle it much easier if the migraines would stop.
Great to read someone else has used amitriptylene successfully. I'm on week three and so far it's been a pattern of 4 days migs - four days clear- then 3 days of each and currently down to two on, two off! Well it's a great improvement on daily attacks and I am optimistic at last.
Best to all
Hillsider

------------------
Hillsider

#95140 - Sun Feb 20 2000 03:35 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Well, my four month streak has ended. I have now suffered for two days and I want to chope my head off. Actually I feel it all the way down to my shoulders.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong