Rules
Terms of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#95091 - Sat Jan 08 2000 11:33 AM Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
A couple of years ago I started getting migraine headaches. If any of you suffer with migraine's could you please share you tips on how to get some relief outside of medicine?

#95092 - Sat Jan 08 2000 01:59 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

Loc: New York USA
I used to suffer with migraines when I was younger, but, fortunately, they are not a problem any longer.Truthfully, the only thing that helped me was pain medication--and that only worked if I took it immediately at the outset of the headache or the visual symptoms.
Have you tried strong coffee, or coke syrup--since caffeine is supposed to help ?

Does anything in particular trigger your headaches?

#95093 - Sat Jan 08 2000 02:04 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Not really, except I have them about once a month, if you know what I mean. I have been staying away from caffeine, I didn't know that it would help. I'll give it a try, thanks.

#95094 - Sat Jan 08 2000 02:28 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

If your headaches are definitely migraines then caffeine should help.Migraines are caused by a dilation of blood vessels, and caffeine causes the blood vessels to contract.Cafergot (spelling?) is a medication given for migraines, and I believe it contains some caffeine.

#95095 - Sat Jan 08 2000 02:30 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks for your help, chelseabelle.

#95096 - Mon Jan 10 2000 02:49 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
JoJo2, I'm glad to see this topic, as I am beginning to have pretty bad headaches monthly myself. Never used to before. I'm curious to see what kind of advice you get.

I have headaches anyway. I have an increased spinal pressure (pseudotumor cerebri) that causes pain. However, I think that's gone away (hopefully for good this time). Also, I think I carry a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders that causes headaches.

I know it sounds wimpy, but have you tried the new Migraine thingies that stick on your head? I've used them occasionally, and they seem to take some of the edge off. That and just being in a dark, quiet room.

Also, (I know you said no medication, but this has helped), my doctor prescribed Esgic Plus - if I can catch the pain when it first starts, that seems to take it away. Usually puts me to sleep, too, though!

I don't know that I have true "migraines," but pain is pain. I don't like any, so I try to find out what's going to be the best remedy. If you hear of anything, let me know.

#95097 - Mon Jan 10 2000 03:09 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Linda1, since I left ITT (the corporate world) and starting working from home, I don't have any health insurance. That is why I am trying to find some relief without using medication. One thing I noticed, just before a miagrane comes on, I see little sparkles and sure enough my the next day I am in terrible pain.

Besides taking a long hot bath, I find that soaking my feet in hot water for as long as I can relaxes me. I can't sleep when they hurt really bad, and I find if I pet my rabbit while reclining on the couch, it helps to keep my mind off of the pain and helps me to relax a little.

I hope some other people jump in here and give us some good tips to help us out. The next time you get one, let me know and I will try to mentally send you some soothing thoughts.

#95098 - Tue Jan 11 2000 10:53 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
chelseabelle Offline
Star Poster

There is a new over-the-counter medication out specifically for migraines.I'm not positive, but it may be made by Tylenol.Perhaps it would help.

#95099 - Tue Jan 11 2000 11:07 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks chelseabelle, last night I got some Exedrin for Migraines and it contains caffiene just like you said. I will let you guys know if it helps. Thanks again.

#95100 - Tue Jan 11 2000 11:26 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

I'm still trying to find some helpful information to relay to you. Here's what I've found so far (this is from the AMA Health Insight):

Diet
An important part of your diary will include foods that you eat. This will help you and your physician identify associations between your diet and migraine. You probably will not have to severely restrict your diet, but you should stay away from foods or additives that you think may trigger headaches. Your physician may recommend avoiding alcohol, especially red wine; foods with monosodium glutamate (MSG); foods that contain tyramine, such as aged cheeses; and preserved meats with nitrates and nitrites. Also important: Eat regularly--don't skip meals.

Sleep
Too much or too little sleep can trigger a migraine attack. Be consistent in your sleep patterns. Maintain a regular bedtime, and try to wake up at the same time each morning.

Hormones
Many women with migraine have attacks linked to their menstrual cycles. Fluctuating and especially declining estrogen levels are thought to play a role. Menstrual migraines can be more debilitating, difficult to treat, and last longer than other migraines. Migraine also may worsen in early pregnancy; however, in later pregnancy, it often improves. Migraine typically declines in frequency as women age. There is evidence that oral contraceptives or estrogen-replacement therapy can provoke or worsen migraine in some women.

Stress and Anxiety
A variety of relaxation techniques can help you manage your body's response to life's daily pressures. Learn to pace your activities. Try to set aside time each day to sit quietly with your eyes closed, let your muscles relax, and give your mind a break. Try not to worry about stress that is beyond your control. Regular physical activity can also help keep you on an even keel.

Environmental Factors
Environmental triggers of migraine headaches include weather or temperature changes, glaring or fluorescent lights, computer screens, strong odors, and high altitude.

Protective Measures
Steps you can take to increase your resistance to migraine include regular sleep, a healthy diet, eating at predictable times, regular exercise, not smoking, relaxation, and meditation.

----------------

I looked last night, and the sticky things I mentioned in my other post are Migraine Ice. They are made for several areas of the head. The ones I used were for the forehead. Actually, I've heard that ice itself can be helpful. Try using it on the head or even on the back of the neck.

I'll let you know if I find anything else. You do likewise.

[This message has been edited by Linda1 (edited 01-11-2000).]

#95101 - Tue Jan 11 2000 04:35 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
indigoforest Offline
Participant

Loc: Green Bay, WI
Something that is not very widely known is that aspartame (nutra sweet) breaks down to the equivalent of wood alcohol in your system. Too much Nutra Sweet does it to me everytime, and I'm down with a massive migraine.

What I do when I get one is to find the darkest room I can, and put a cold washcloth over my forehead and eyes and I sleep it off. Although, Excedrin for Migraines is also an excellent otc pain reliever. That's helped too.

------------------
...sometimes sanity takes vacation time on me...

#95102 - Tue Jan 11 2000 06:05 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Just out of curiousity, what makes Exedrin for Migraines different from plain Exedrin? Don't they both have caffeine? What makes it work for those headaches in particular?

#95103 - Wed Jan 12 2000 02:45 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you for taking the time to research this subject Linda1. I think I fail when it comes to all of the AMA Factors. I am probably guilty of most on the list. Maybe now that you brought it to my attention, I will be more aware of my daily habits (the bad ones)

You said that you just started having you headaches monthly, the same thing goes here. Up until about a year and a half ago I hardly ever had headaches and when I did I took two aspirin and it was gone. Migraines are still new to me and sounds like they are to you also. It looks like we are starting to get some good advice and with chelseabelle's wisdom, we will find some relief as well as support.

Indigoforest, thanks for the info. Do you know what products contain aspartame (nutra sweet)? I haven't been aware of this so I haven't been looking at the ingredients on the labels.

I also like to be in a dark room, but my problem is that when the pain is extremely bad, I can't sleep. I just bought some Excedrin for Migraines, does it help to knock you out? I haven't tried them out yet. Do have the answer to Linda1's question as to what the difference is between Excedrin and Excedrin for Migraines is?

Please keep the advice and information coming!

#95104 - Sun Jan 16 2000 02:57 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
Yes it is the caffeine in Excedrin that helps the headache. My sister has terrible ones also and she swear by Excedrin if she catchs it early on. She notices it in her vision first. I remember while working in a nursing home that coffee was always given first for a headache before meds.

I swear by peppermint also. Peppermint oil mixed with olive, or sweet almond oil and applied to the temples,forehead, and back of the neck at the nape and higher up seems to help my sister. Also pepppermint tea. You might want to give it a try!!

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

#95105 - Sun Jan 16 2000 03:48 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
The expert on migraine is Hillsider - what she doesn't know about it can be written on a stamp! You should be able to find her e-mail address by checking on her postings - I could give it to you but I am not sure if that is the done thing on here.

Sue

#95106 - Sun Jan 16 2000 04:12 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank Sue, maybe it would be best if you sent her an e-mail asking her to stop by here if she gets a chance. I sure would appreciate it and so would the others who suffer with these bears.

#95107 - Sun Jan 16 2000 08:06 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Anonymous
No longer registered

Yeap, Sandalwood is absolutely right about the peppermint! I know it sounds weird but if you apply the fresh leaves on the temples it really works...at least for my headaches anyway.
Also, caffeine does seem to do wonders too. You could mix a tablespoon of coffee in with a Coke or Diet Coke and see if that works. Although, you´ll probably be wired for a while! LOL That´s what I used to do in college during finals, and any headache I had went away.
The dark room with a cold wet compress is wonderful for relieving stress in general.

#95108 - Sun Jan 16 2000 08:27 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you Sandalwood and Fortunata, I will give it try. Thank you so very much.

#95109 - Mon Jan 17 2000 12:38 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
JoJo, can't comment on the female relationship to your migraine, but it's spooky reading about what you're going thru and the bits and pieces about u and your past from your posts. For the last half of 1999 I had awful headaches/migarines ... and now I've gone almost completely of coffee and coke/soft drinks (no mean feat). Now I'm trying to drink 2 litres of water everyday (this is hard 'cause I just plain forget when I'm so engrossed in what I'm doing). Next, I've almost completely off all junk food, you name it I was shovelling it down. finally you must laugh and retain a sense a humour. Endorfins are apparently a wonderful substance in our bodies (hormone or something). And mate I haven't laughed so much as I have these last days/weeks at Terry's place. That's what I'm up to ... there is probably no magic in what anyone of us 've written. You've just gotta try out a few different things (now I sound like a philosopher and that I definitely ain't). ciao

#95110 - Mon Jan 17 2000 02:52 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
quokka Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
JoJo,
my experience is that exercise, bright light and oranges (Vit C?) used to trigger my migranes. It would happen at half-time when I was playing footie as a youngster. Not having organised myself to have any breakfast, I would polish off 2-3 oranges at half time. The combination of the exercise and the bright sunshine, along with the oranges would trigger a whopper. Each and any of the 3 factors on their own or in combination with another one factor would not cause any problem, but the 3 together was dynamite.
Probably not much help to you unless you are an orange scoffing athlete in the tropics, but thought the sympathy might help - I know its a bitch when they hit.
PS someone told me chocolate brings it on for them.
Hope you get over them.

#95111 - Mon Jan 17 2000 06:50 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
quokka Offline
Explorer

Loc: Sydney
NSW Australia
By the way JJ, as a bit of a trivia question while we are here, is it pronounced MEEgraine or MYgraine? I have heard both used here in Oz.
Perhaps a new topic for Funtrivia???

[This message has been edited by quokka (edited 01-17-2000).]

#95112 - Tue Jan 18 2000 05:26 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

I say MYgraine. Never heard MEEgrain. Some people use that pronuciation? That's interesting. Has anyone from any other part of the world heard it this way? The things we learn here......!

#95113 - Fri Jan 21 2000 07:28 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I have asked Hillsider to pay you a visit!

[This message has been edited by sue943 (edited 01-21-2000).]

#95114 - Fri Jan 21 2000 09:24 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Astrix Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Canada
Years ago my husband had a period of a few months where he would get migraine headaches every other day. I have never had one, but I can imagine that you suffer horribly. We went to the doctor's and they couldn't pin-point the cause, but said it was possibly an allergic reaction. Nitrates (I saw that mentioned above) was one suggestion - therefore, no bacon or hotdogs. I even tried changing the laundry detergent and we had professional carpet cleaners come in to deep-steamclean the rugs. We never did figure out exactly what caused them and they went away after a few months. He said he could tell when he was going to get one - almost like an aura or a flashing light. Is that what you have? When that happened, he would quickly make a strong cup of turkish coffee and some painkillers (can't remember what but the doctor prescribed them), then take a shower as cold as he could stand, then lie in a quiet, dark room until it passed. I can't remember who told us to do this, but it seemed to help. It didn't get rid of the migraine attack entirely, but made it more bearable to suffer through. Good luck to you and hopefully they are only temporary like his were.

------------------
I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. (Woodrow Wilson)

#95115 - Fri Jan 28 2000 03:50 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Darcy Offline
Participant

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
I also suffer from migraines. I have tried everything but what seems to work the best for me is to lie down on my back in a dark room with a cold wet washcloth on my forehead. I lie there and envision a field of wildflowers with a gentle breeze blowing them and absolutely no sound. I imaging myself laying in that field with the breeze flowing over me and the grass beneath feeling like velvet. I know this sounds bizarre but it works for me and it makes me feel better to know that I am not simply masking the pain with medication. Also if you are lucky enough to have someone there with you it helps if they palm your head (just like a basketball) with light but constant pressure.

#95116 - Fri Jan 28 2000 04:07 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

First of all, I am terribly sorry that I got behind on answering all of you and I hope you will forgive me so I am going to answer each one of you individually. Thanks to all for your help. You are all so kind.

#95117 - Fri Jan 28 2000 04:12 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

gtho, I also had a great time and laughed so much at times, I had tears in my eyes. Did you ever see the post in the Tavern that I kicked up to the top about Cyberspeach?

Now, what do you mean that it's spooky reading about what you're going thru and the bits and pieces about u and your past from your posts? I was born two day after Halloween but I don't recall being called spooky. just joking. What do you mean?

#95118 - Fri Jan 28 2000 04:16 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Astrix, I experience the exact same thing as your husband just before I have one. I see little flashes of light out of the corner of my eyes. I will try some of your wonderful tips and I really do appreciate you sharing them with me.

#95119 - Fri Jan 28 2000 04:52 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Darcy thank you for sharing. I do something quite similar. I imagine myself walking down the beach where the sand is warm and I can feel the sun on my face and the wind blowing in my hair. I can smell the ocean and I can hear the waves crashing against the rocks. It seems to help some. I learned this technique from yoga classes. Thanks again for your help.

#95120 - Sat Jan 29 2000 09:47 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

JJ, yep I did see that Cyberspeach one LOL !!
I've gone back and reread the post and reread the post and reread the post, and now I can't remember precisely what I was going on about on that day. No wonder u were lost. I know I'd taken all my medication (just kidding!) Around that time I'd been reading posts and posting here there and everywhere, and crying from laughing at some of them, and we'd be stumbling across our posts round the boards. Some of your posts were reading me quite well too I might add! I was losing track of where I was and where I'd been and which post was next. Anyway, one of your posts then said you were once engaged to an accountant! (RU keeping up with this?) It was just that I felt you'd read me well and it was sort of like you knew me already! It also seemed like you'd also been a bit of a workaholic too. In retrospect spooked is probably not quite the right word ... maybe the word eerie would've been a better choice (if it ain't, shoot me with both barrels, preferably one at a time)
hai capito? ciao ciao!
(picked up a few words when on holidays in Italy in 78 and 80)

#95121 - Sun Jan 30 2000 01:26 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
pj165354 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: London England UK
Hello all,

I have suffered from MYgraines all my life. In my very young days it was thought that it was bright sunshine that brought them on. In my teens it was put forward that certain food caused them (cheese, chocolate etc.,). No remedy could be found.
However a few years ago I was subjected to a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety, this brought an untold number of migraines, some slight and some that felt like my head would burst.
My GP (MD in the States??) became concerned and requested me to go onto an anti-depressant. Initially I was very reluctant as I do not agree with many man-made medicines. After a further attack I relented and was put onto the mildest form of a well known anti-depressant. After about 3 weeks I felt a lot better. Having successfully dealt with the cause of my stress/anxiety I have still maintained the daily dosage.
I have to now state, touching wood, that I have not suffered any sort of migraine for 18 or so months.
Now I'm not recommending that anybody start taking anti-depressents BUT they certainly helped me AND I fully believe that once the cause is identified the remedy is out there. I have every sympathy for sufferers and only hope that you find your remedy soon.

Good Luck one and all,

Cheers PJ (on the beat)

#95122 - Sun Jan 30 2000 01:41 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

pj165354, I am glad that you found some relief. I have only started experiencing these headaches for the past couple of years. I am going to try some the great suggestions that you all have given me. I probably will not start on anti-depressants yet because I can get pretty wacky naturally, can you imagine me on some kind of medication.

#95123 - Sun Jan 30 2000 01:56 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

gtho4, well hush my puppies! (I copied that phrase from a friend of mine) I got it!!! By George I got it. All of a sudden I understood exactly what you were talking about!! Boy, you can put a horse on a race track, but that doesn't he'll want to run!! CYA soon, ciao.

[This message has been edited by JoJo2 (edited 01-30-2000).]

#95124 - Mon Jan 31 2000 02:41 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

CQ CQ
roger wilko
10 4
over and out

keep on trucking
blah blah grin grin

#95125 - Mon Feb 07 2000 12:00 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Loc: UK
Sue asked me to visit with you as she says I'm an expert on migraines. I only I weren't!!! I run an email chat group where we exchange tips and moans and groans and here's a few I've gleaned from the members and from my own experience.
Firstly, food is not always a factor in classic migraine. Trigger factors can be completely different things for each sufferer. For some it may well be cheese, oranges or chocolate but for many it is other completely diverse things.
For instance some of my triggers are most perfume smells, fluorescent lights, all alcohol and lack of sleep. For others it is bright lights or certain rythmic sounds. I cannot bear anyone walking in the same room when I'm suffering.
Like many people mine come at dawn and for the last several years - having tried almost every medication and alternative therapy around - I've been using a Sumatriptan injection. It takes around 10 to 40 mins to work - if I use my oxygen tank - a valuable tool for less severe migraine as it can sometimes completely eradicate them, recovery can be down to as little as 4 minutes, although I do need about a quarter of hour or more sleep as I'm just plain tired!
I wake and either throw up or feel as if I am.
I rarely get daytime attacks but travelling as a passanger on long journeys - the combination of fumes and stiffness - can be a trigger. But not every time.
And that is the dilemma. Sometimes even known triggers come across by accident don't cause a mig! In my Advice Clinic I sometimes get clients with overpowering ghastly (to my nose) perfume and have to spend half an hour or even longer feeling stifled. The smell seems to linger but one day it'll be a trigger and the next not.
There is one common theory surrently around bu sadly it is only of curiousity value as you'll see.
It's been postulated that Migraineurs all have a larger brain stem than the 'norm'. This is only found at post mortem - so it serves no purpose at all in the quest for relief! Just thought it was interesting as the area of the hyperthalamus is where the migs start and they are close.
Now I have now been prescribed Amitriptylene - the mild ante-depressant someone mentioned and like her, I have so far had very optimistic results. I sleep better and out of the last five days only had a mild migraine on one. For the last couple of months I have been suffering daily.
Hope this helps.
I'll visit again next week.
Hillsider

#95126 - Sun Feb 06 2000 01:12 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Reading all your messages I think underlines my previous point that migraines are as diverse as the sufferers. I see someone mentioned a cold shower - for me a very hot as I can stand shower can sometimes relieves the pain followed by oxygen.
I also use a cold pak on my eyes and I have a special Cool Cap you can buy here in UK which I put on my head. I look plain daft but as any Migraineur will tell you, that is the least of our worries!
Some people find they want heat - some cold, my advice is to try and see which works.
I also find that sitting propped up during an attack gives better relief than lying done. Something to do with the blood flow!
I also have black out curtains in our bedroom although I have never ever had flashing lights, I do not want to open my eyes at all. Also I find I can barel speak as to form the words vibrates through my head. What a sorry sight!
So the message is to keep trying to find whatever helps you through the attack and the way we don't say Cure for Migraine - we say Control!!!
There's lots more info from the Migraine Action Association. Mail me if anyone wants deails or if you want to join the Migpain group to chat some more. By the way although we tell each other what works for us, there is absolutely NO selling and anyone coming on trying to flog their own particular remedy is barred!
Just thought I'd mention it though it may be taken as read here at Fun Triv.
A mig-free week ahead to you... I'll try and call in again next weekend but work has taken me out of the Triv loop for a bit - and we have to earn to keep a roof over our heads!
Best wishes
Val
Hillsider

------------------
Hillsider

#95127 - Mon Feb 07 2000 04:42 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hillsider, I feel so sorry for way you have suffered. I really do appreciate you sharing all the information with us. One my main problems with migraines is sleeping. If seems like when I close my eyes the pain gets worse or I seem to concentrate on the pain even more. I find that if I pet my rabbit it seems to soothe me somewhat, I guess it kind of keeps my mind off of the pain a little. We would appreciate any additional advice that you would like to share with us. Once again, thank you.

#95128 - Mon Feb 07 2000 08:14 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
ren32 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Fanling Hong Kong
Strange you mention the rabbit Jojo I reckon animals can do a lot for us. My mother had the most appalling migraines, and i remember tiptoeing around the house while she lay in a dark room, We lived with my grandmother, who was an absolute darling,but after my gran died my mother never got another migraine. She thought that it was worrying about gran who worked so hard. Then also she had got a dog (mum i mean) after the death of gran, so whether the two are linked ...
In those days all you got from the doc were pheeno-barbitone .. a very strong sleeping pill. Im sure they are stress linked JoJo and animals remove stress you know that. So what im trying to say is remove the stress and get lots of critters... love Ren

#95129 - Mon Feb 07 2000 10:42 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I think you are right about pets Ren. I am thinking about getting another bunny. Jackie, my rabbit, is a dwarf and only weighs two pounds, so I could hold a bunch of them.

#95130 - Sat Feb 12 2000 09:58 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

More tips for migraine sufferers... JoJo2 says lying down is awful. I agree and the best way is to prop yourself up against a pillow or cushion so that you are in a sitting position with the head held above the body. It minimises the throbbing just a little.
An oxygen tank - if you can get one. In UK Doc's aren't allowed the prescribe them except for chest patients - but I have a friendly local pharmacist.... her son is also a migraineur. You should only take oxygen for up to fifteen minutes. As soon as the pain starts to lift, stop, and rturn if necessary if the pain begins to swell up again. If after 15 mins the pain is the same, stop the oxygen anyway. You can try again after a break. It doesn't always work for me on its own but it does seem to speed the preferred drug through the system.
You mentioned animals and their therpeutic effect. I agree, if the migraine is stress induced! But for some people the reasons they get them seem obscure. Personally I have had wonderful years and heart-rending bad years - but my migs have never changed their pattern over 30 years. I blame my genes as both mother and grandmother suffered.
The cold compresses for forehead, eyes or even complete head are very soothing for those who feel they are burning up. A hot water bottle for those who feel chilled.
Some people feel better if they put on warm socks and gloves. My only advice is to experiment with tips you glean from others and do what feels right for you. It won't cure them but hopefully, you can find something that helps you through each attack.

------------------
Hillsider

#95131 - Sat Feb 12 2000 10:14 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

An addendum to the rabbit petting but associated thing really.
We just had to have our last dog put down - throat cancer - and since it was diagnosed I've been feeling so very sorry for her and worrying about WHEN would be the right time to say goodbye to her. She went downhill quite quickly and when she couldn't even swallow a small soft treat without gagging we knew we had to make that most fearsome of decisions. Two things happened that night.
I began on the new tranquilliser medication in an effort to beat the daily migraine and I also felt less stressed about Jessica. I'd done my crying - and although even now I miss her pitta patta around the house - I know it was the kindest and wisest way to go. Which does promote a certain degree of calmness.
So did Jessica's inevitable death release me from the stream of migraines - or was it the Amitriptylene? I shall never know. I stayed mig-free for 4 days - then 4 days back again and as I write today I am again 3 days free - and counting. The sheer joy of waking up and not having to run to the bathroom to throw up is quite exhilerating. And some people feel like this every morning I guess...
A bit more news is a medical chat group I belong too posted a new paper on Migraine. A professor has done a study and come up with a new form - Transformed Migraine - as in migs that come on a daily basis first thing in the morning. My classic scenario!
He concludes the best way to stop the loop is to get the patient off medication - which constant use could be triggering a vicious circle. His prime candidate for this was exactly the drug my Doc had prescribed. I shall tell him cos h was just basing it on the associated depression and said it was really a bit of a flyer - but suck it and see sort of thing.
So if you are having DAILY migraines then it seems one of the tranquillisers just could break the cycle.
For the less frequent ones, there doesn't seem to be any data.
Mig-free days to you.....
Val

------------------
Hillsider

#95132 - Sat Feb 12 2000 10:59 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hillsider, I am so sorry to hear about Jessica. It sounds like you loved her as much as you would your best friend. She probably was one of your best friends. I am sure that she is looking down from heaven with a big smile on her little face in remembrance of the love and care that you gave her. She is at peace now and I know that she will be happy when your tears subside. She would never want to see you sad. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you for being such a loving pet owner. I will say a prayer for Jessica and one for you. I am sure that the healing process will take some time, but try to feel some warmth in your heart for being such a loving parent.

#95133 - Sat Feb 12 2000 11:02 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hillsider, when you mentioned socks it reminded me of one thing that I do that helps me relax during a mig. I soak my feet in hot water as I am trying to relax. It seems to help a little bit.

#95134 - Sun Feb 13 2000 12:37 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
Hillsider, I can relate with you dog. I lost my cat about 3 weeks ago, never knew what happend, or why he did, he was still young. I am still morning him. It took me four days to bury him, I just couldn't say goodbye.

There was a beta blocker I took years ago for migrains. I don't suffer from them anymore however. I wish that I could remember the name of it though.

Each person is different I think on what foods and drinks they need to stay away from. My sister has to watch her wine consumption because they can bring them on. I have found with her that when her blood pressure is high, she seems to get them more often. She did not even know that she had a problem with high blood pressure.

Maybe this should be checked out when a migrain is in full force and see it this is the cause.

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

#95135 - Sat Feb 12 2000 05:40 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Thank you JoJo2 for your kind words. I am over the crying but it's odd what a big doggy sized space she filled which is now so empty. I reach for my car keys and still look up expecting to see her getting up and ambling very slowly - she was never a fast mover - towards me and expecting to get in the car. She didn't like car journeys really - we had to tranquilliser her for long journeys. But she seemed to enjoy coming out to the garage with me, jumping in the back seat whilst I reversed out and then, when I parked up by the door to load my gear, she'd pop back into the house again looking for a biscuit!
You're so right. She was well loved. Probably more over the past two years as we'd had to have our older dog, Chloe, put down when her diabetes got too bad. We kept her going with daily pee samples and appropriate insulin injections for nearly 3 years! When we came home after her, there was still Jess to come home to. Now it's all so empty.
However, as I am scheduled for surgery again soonish I agree with Nearest & Dearest who says we should wait a while before going for another dog. He would be stuck with visiting me - an hour and half away - plus running our business alone - de-frosting his meals... Yes I have to make enough to last him when I have various operations as he is NOT new man in the domestic department!
I stray from the subject but just wanted to share a bit about Jess. Hope you don't mind. Parting is hell - but we must carry on singing!
Oh and incidentally, I've now have THREE clear mornings without migs. I can't believe how WELL it makes me feel. If this is what taking tranquillises can do, then count me in!
Best to you
Hillsider

#95136 - Sat Feb 12 2000 06:13 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hillsider, I hope your surgery will be very successful and that your recovery will be fast.

[This message has been edited by JoJo2 (edited 02-13-2000).]

#95137 - Wed Feb 16 2000 12:47 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
applesauceprincess Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Seguin, TX, USA
Hello to all...

My friend recently told me about this site - when you get migraines regularly at college, all your friends are looking out for you. It's nice to know I'm loved.

The advice regarding amitriptyline is right-on. It's an antidepressant, one of whose side-effects happens to be preventing migraines. The great thing about it is that, even without health insurance, a one-month supply (you take it every night before bed) only costs between $5-7. Not a lot of money if it can prevent some serious pain, and it does. I don't always think so, but every once-in-a-while I forget to take it for 2 or 3 nights in a row, and I'm reminded that it does its job quite well. Definitley worth a shot.

As far as Excedrin Migraine goes, I worked at a pharmacy for a few years in high school, and asked the pharmacist about it. It may work on less-severe migraines because of the caffeine, but the active ingredients are exactly the same (and so are the amounts) as regular Excedrin (just read the backs of the boxes), and the regular stuff is cheaper. So be careful that you don't pay for the name.

As for food triggers, my mom made a good suggestion to me last year. Keep a food journal, and record EVERYTHING you eat, as well as when you migraines occur and how bad they are. Sleep patterns could also be added. You know the common triggers, so take one thing (chocolate, red wine, peanuts, cheese, etc.) out of your diet each week and just see what happens.

One other thing that I've heard highly recommended is a daily supplement of calcium and magnesium. You need pretty high doses for it to work, so a multi-vitamin doesn't cut it. I forget the exact figures, all I know is that I take tablets with 333mg Ca, 133mg Mg, and 5 mg of Zinc, and I have to take 3 a day. I just started this, so I can't really vouch for it yet, but at this point I'm willing to try almost anything.

Hope this advice helps someone out there, perhaps someday soon we'll have it all figured out, but until then, adios.

Applesauceprincess

P.S. Imitrex nasal sprays are my saving grace, so if you have medical insurance, don't waste another day!

#95138 - Wed Feb 16 2000 10:47 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hello and welcome applesauceprincess!! Thank you for your wonderful tips, I will keep them in mind. I am so happy, I have gone four months now without one. I was scared that just as soon as I said something I would have one, but right now I am thrilled. I am happy that you have people around you who love you and are there for you. You must be a very special person and I hope you will come back and visit us.

#95139 - Sat Feb 19 2000 05:36 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Isn't it odd how all migraineurs seem to have different triggers and different methods of coping.
I was v. interested in the vitamin supplement idea. I have been taken largish doses of Calcium for years - to help my osteo-arthritis - allegedly! I daren't stop in case it isn't doing anything and you never know until you stop - and crumble to the deck in bits!!! Well that's how I feel sometimes with oste- gnawing its way inside me. Although I have to say that compared with migraine - back pain I can handle! It's the inconvenience of restricted moements that bugs me! No running bare-footed in the meadow.... OK I didn't actually run bare-footed, but I did used to run regularly with the dogs and I HATE being disabled now.
ut as I say, I'd handle it much easier if the migraines would stop.
Great to read someone else has used amitriptylene successfully. I'm on week three and so far it's been a pattern of 4 days migs - four days clear- then 3 days of each and currently down to two on, two off! Well it's a great improvement on daily attacks and I am optimistic at last.
Best to all
Hillsider

------------------
Hillsider

#95140 - Sun Feb 20 2000 03:35 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Well, my four month streak has ended. I have now suffered for two days and I want to chope my head off. Actually I feel it all the way down to my shoulders.

#95141 - Sun Feb 20 2000 11:13 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Oh Jojo I really do feel for you and if you're well enough to read this, I do hope you can find some relief. It was so familiar you read that you wanted to chop your head off - that's exactly how I feel during an attack. I would happily die if it removed the pain!
Just to let this group know that you were so kind when we ahd to have Jessica put down, I thought I'd share my good news.
We've spent the weekend driving crazily around country lanes visiting Dog REscue Centres.
And eventually today we've settled on two labrador crosses - male (Neutured) and bitch (speyed) who've been together all their lives and were gifted in becos' of a marriage breakup. Four years old and v. friendly. We have booked our adoptiong and now await the House/Garden Inspection before we can go back and collect them. Both are a tad overweight so it'll be strict measure meals for a while but that's easy in our environment as we rarely see other people as we both work in the studio at home.So anyway, thank you very much for your kind words of comfort. Now I can begin to focus on Poppy and Ben!!! The new animals.

------------------
Hillsider

#95142 - Sun Feb 20 2000 11:51 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hello Hillsider, Poppy and Ben are two very very lucky dogs to have you as their new mommy. I have always adopted my pets until I bought my bunny. I got her (Jackie D.R.) at a pet store. Give them big hugs and kisses from me when you get them. I love dogs soooo much!!! I am off to bed again. I just thought that I would check in so that I am not too far behind when I come back. I am going to take a very long hot bath and try to relax. The more the pain worsens it seems like the more tense I become and it is a vicious cycle. Take care Hillsider, I will talk to you again soon. Big hug.

#95143 - Sat Feb 26 2000 03:51 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I just read today that the percentage of men who suffer migraine headaches is 20 percent. I really don't think this is fair.

#95144 - Sat Feb 26 2000 06:19 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

In defence of men... unusually for me.... but the poor dears do come from Mars don't they... (Sorry, John Gray)
Anyway, unfortunately my husband is a male migraine sufferer and I really think he gets his worse than mine. They come on more intensely but go equally as quickly. As many as four attacks a day - always at the same time of day. It's been diagnosed as Cluster Headachs - a form of migraine. He's now takes propanalol as a prophylactic and it seems to be working. I think though it makes him more easily relate to my pain.
Incidentally there's one last plus for women. It's been medically proven that if women make love during an attack phase - not when you've got one obviously (who could!?) but if you're getting a run of them, making love can stop the cycle of migraine.
In men the same activity can trigger them.
Sorry chaps.... perhaps it is best to be female.....?!

------------------
Hillsider

#95145 - Sat Feb 26 2000 06:26 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hello Hillsider, you know I remember reading that somewhere. Did you get your puppies?

#95146 - Thu Mar 02 2000 10:52 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Anyone who is undergoing migraine treatments should read Sue's thread on St John's Wort.

#95147 - Thu Mar 02 2000 03:27 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
Hillsider.....Propranolol is an interesting choice of medication from your husband's M.D. I always associated it with Hypertension as it's what I took for high blood pressure (until it almost killed me and I wound up needing to get a Pacemaker). It's also widely used for angina pectoris and cardiac arrhythmia. I'm certainly not questioning a doctor's advice, it's just that after what I went through, I always get a little nervous when I hear about someone taking it. I'm surely happy to hear that it's working for him....please don't misunderstand me, I just needed to add my two-cents worth of personal knowledge. I don't think it's ever wrong to question use of medications when you hear so much negativity in the news these days.

JoJo.....are you feeling better after your latest siege of migraines? I hope so.

BagLady

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#95148 - Sat Mar 04 2000 11:19 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Badlady - yes propanolol didn't do it for me but my husband suffered Cluster Headaches which are classified differently from migraine. They come up to four times a day or more at exactly the same time of day and seem to be a malfunction of the hyperthalamus. Dealing with the blood pressue seems to be effective.
I did try them - zilch - I also have taken St John's Wort for the past year with no palpable effect to my migs.
Unfortunately despite the tranqs seeming to be changing my attacks, they didn't prevent the mother of an attack at the end of last week causing me to lie totally in bed - when not throwing up in the bathroonm - and completely losing two days of my life. I so resent the loss of those hours! It was also on the days when I had planned a heavy work schedule before taking a much needed afternoon of retail therapy. All gone by the board now.
I haven't had such a bad one for quite a while so now my hope is that as it was a Six Pack so to speak, I will be clear for a bit.
Here's hoping.....

------------------
Hillsider

#95149 - Sat Mar 04 2000 10:22 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you BrideLady, I feel much better now. I don't suffer but about once a month and I actually went almost four months without one. This last one was pretty bad, but I have never had ones as bad as Hillsider does.

Hillsider I sure hope you feel better soon. It just breaks my heart that you have suffered so much and you are such a sweet lady. How is Poppy and Ben? I bet they help to comfort you a little. I know how much you love your doggies. Give them a big hug for me please. Take care Hillsider and I hope to talk to again real soon. MMUUOOOAAHHH to Poppy and Ben.

#95150 - Sat Apr 08 2000 08:25 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Has anyone heard from Hillsider? I am starting to worry about her since I haven't seen her here in awhile. If anyone sees her around, would you please let me know that she is alright? Thanks

#95151 - Sat Apr 08 2000 08:45 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
shaeyvette Offline
Explorer

Loc: Dallas area Texas
JoJo I have tried to read all of your posts about your migraines. Seems like you suffer the same type that I do...around the same time of the month, mine come every month. The only thing that really helps for me is Imitrex. Sometimes if it is in the base of my neck, Exedrin Migraine will help along with soaking my feet in water, which help the flow of blood. But for the full blown migraine, I have to have the Imitrex. I think I have gone through every type of medication there is for the attacks, and Imitrex is about the most reliable. The funny thing is that when I first started suffering, about 9 years ago, I told my doctor that they came around that time each month, and he told me that it wasnt a migraine and he acted like I was the crazy one. He, at that time wasn't familiar with menstrual migraines. My only relief came when I was pregnant. I went that whole time without a single headache.

#95152 - Tue Apr 11 2000 11:25 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
JoJo, I was thinking the other day about Hillsider too, and no, I haven't seen her lately (but I really don't have time to go through all the Forums that often). I hope like you do that she's all right. She had mentioned surgery back a while, I wonder if that is the reason.

I'm sure that all of you have accessed everything on the web that has to do with Migraines, but I came across the following this morning and wanted to share the link. It probably doesn't have anything in it that is new, but even if one little thing helps, it'll be worth it. It's:
http://www.drkoop.com/conditions/migraine/page_52_249.asp

Hope you're all migraine-free.

BL

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#95153 - Tue Apr 11 2000 01:34 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you BrideLady I will check the site out this afternoon.

Hillsider, when you come back and read this, we just want you to know that we are thinking of you, miss you and wish you well. Take care.

#95154 - Mon May 08 2000 03:35 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

You are right shaeyvette, that seems like I get them at that time. I take Exedrin also. I haven't had one in at least two monthe (I believe) I almost felt one coming on but I was thrilled that it was just a little headache. I would be perfectly happy if I never had one again.

#95155 - Wed May 10 2000 09:10 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
shaeyvette Offline
Explorer

Loc: Dallas area Texas
I just read two separate articles and both state that they have found that 200 mg of vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) and 400 mg of magnesium daily put a stop to migraines in 80% of sufferers tested. Has anybody who suffers tried this?

#95156 - Wed May 10 2000 10:58 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I haven't shaeyvette, but I would be willing to try it out, thanks.

#95157 - Sun May 14 2000 08:32 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
wright Offline
Explorer

Loc: sanford,nc27330
My daughter has migraines when ever her thyroid is really acting up.. actually it was one of her first symptoms although it's not considered calssic for her disease..at any rate the Doctor prescribed a very low dose of Inderal to be taken twice a day.. Only 10 Milligrams each dose. The migraines stopped immediantly.. and they have every time she starts with them again the inderal stops them.. Inderal is a very benign drug at such low doses and really cheap.. maybe this would be worth mentioning to your M.D. I wish you well. I have never had one but just watching my daughter experience them is terrible.. I really think this might help you. I really hope something can. best wishes..

#95158 - Mon May 15 2000 12:04 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

wright you are such a dear. Thank you so much for the information and I am so happy that your daughter doesn't have to experience them anymore. It must be a great relief for her. I believe that it has been at least two months since I have had one and I so thrilled. Thanks again wright, and I hope you daughter's health improves. I wish her the very best.

#95159 - Fri Dec 01 2000 02:48 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Women are twice as likely to experience migraine headaches during the first two days of their menstrual cycle than in the rest of the month, say doctors at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. Migraine risk is also higher during the first two days prior to menstruation, but it decreases around the time of ovulation. The investigators made this observation in 81 female migraine sufferers who kept detailed diaries of their headaches for about three months. Their findings are in the Nov. 28 issue of the journal Neurology. This knowledge can help women prevent or treat their migraines, says Dr. Stephen Silberstein, a neurologist and director of the hospital's Headache Center. "That's important news, especially when you consider that 70% of all migraine sufferers are women."

#95160 - Thu Mar 01 2001 12:53 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I thought I would bring this one back up to top. Hopefully we can get some additional tips to help people who suffer from Migraines.

#95161 - Sun May 06 2001 10:31 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I thought I would bring this thread back up to see if anyone has any additional tips for share for those who suffer with mmigraines.

#95162 - Mon May 07 2001 08:58 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Rocky Offline
Explorer

Loc: Near Canberra
ACT Australi...
I have been reading through the many tales of woe from people who suffer from migranes. Suffer is a good word for it. I used to have migranes every couple of days in my teenage years and early 20s, but for the last 10 years they have been getting further and further apart. What a relief.

However, when I do get them, it starts with the sparkling in the bottom outside corner of my right eye, and when this happens I know that within half an hour I will be cactus. I find the only cure is to lie down in a darkened, quiet room and sleep it off. Any bright lights, loud noise or smells will make me vomit. Delightful...I don't think.

A masseur gave me a wonderful tip for migranes once. I had gone for a massage at the clinic but just before I left to go there, I felt a migrane come on. Rather than cancel the massage, I went and told him that I wasn't feeling well and had a migrane coming on. He took my left hand and found a spot between the forefinger and thumb (on the fleshy part of the hand) and squeezed it really hard. He told me to close my eyes and breath deeply and held he held it for about 15 seconds. When I opened my eyes, the migrane was gone. Now, when I feel one coming on, I do this to myself and 99% of the time it works. I have found this pressure point on other people, and it works for them too. I wish I could find a picture of the hand to post up to show you the spot. Colin (the masseur) told me it was part of reflexology theory that he had been studying, so if any of you know a reflexologist, ask them about it.

Another tip he gave me was to stop hiccups. If you get the hiccups, massage your ear lobes. It stops it...works 100% of the time.

I hope this info helps some of you. There is nothing worse than a migrane (and uncontrollable hiccups are pretty bad too).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong