Rules
Terms of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#95141 - Sun Feb 20 2000 11:13 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Loc: UK
Oh Jojo I really do feel for you and if you're well enough to read this, I do hope you can find some relief. It was so familiar you read that you wanted to chop your head off - that's exactly how I feel during an attack. I would happily die if it removed the pain!
Just to let this group know that you were so kind when we ahd to have Jessica put down, I thought I'd share my good news.
We've spent the weekend driving crazily around country lanes visiting Dog REscue Centres.
And eventually today we've settled on two labrador crosses - male (Neutured) and bitch (speyed) who've been together all their lives and were gifted in becos' of a marriage breakup. Four years old and v. friendly. We have booked our adoptiong and now await the House/Garden Inspection before we can go back and collect them. Both are a tad overweight so it'll be strict measure meals for a while but that's easy in our environment as we rarely see other people as we both work in the studio at home.So anyway, thank you very much for your kind words of comfort. Now I can begin to focus on Poppy and Ben!!! The new animals.

------------------
Hillsider

#95142 - Sun Feb 20 2000 11:51 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California†USA†
Hello Hillsider, Poppy and Ben are two very very lucky dogs to have you as their new mommy. I have always adopted my pets until I bought my bunny. I got her (Jackie D.R.) at a pet store. Give them big hugs and kisses from me when you get them. I love dogs soooo much!!! I am off to bed again. I just thought that I would check in so that I am not too far behind when I come back. I am going to take a very long hot bath and try to relax. The more the pain worsens it seems like the more tense I become and it is a vicious cycle. Take care Hillsider, I will talk to you again soon. Big hug.

#95143 - Sat Feb 26 2000 03:51 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I just read today that the percentage of men who suffer migraine headaches is 20 percent. I really don't think this is fair.

#95144 - Sat Feb 26 2000 06:19 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

In defence of men... unusually for me.... but the poor dears do come from Mars don't they... (Sorry, John Gray)
Anyway, unfortunately my husband is a male migraine sufferer and I really think he gets his worse than mine. They come on more intensely but go equally as quickly. As many as four attacks a day - always at the same time of day. It's been diagnosed as Cluster Headachs - a form of migraine. He's now takes propanalol as a prophylactic and it seems to be working. I think though it makes him more easily relate to my pain.
Incidentally there's one last plus for women. It's been medically proven that if women make love during an attack phase - not when you've got one obviously (who could!?) but if you're getting a run of them, making love can stop the cycle of migraine.
In men the same activity can trigger them.
Sorry chaps.... perhaps it is best to be female.....?!

------------------
Hillsider

#95145 - Sat Feb 26 2000 06:26 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hello Hillsider, you know I remember reading that somewhere. Did you get your puppies?

#95146 - Thu Mar 02 2000 10:52 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Anyone who is undergoing migraine treatments should read Sue's thread on St John's Wort.

#95147 - Thu Mar 02 2000 03:27 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
Hillsider.....Propranolol is an interesting choice of medication from your husband's M.D. I always associated it with Hypertension as it's what I took for high blood pressure (until it almost killed me and I wound up needing to get a Pacemaker). It's also widely used for angina pectoris and cardiac arrhythmia. I'm certainly not questioning a doctor's advice, it's just that after what I went through, I always get a little nervous when I hear about someone taking it. I'm surely happy to hear that it's working for him....please don't misunderstand me, I just needed to add my two-cents worth of personal knowledge. I don't think it's ever wrong to question use of medications when you hear so much negativity in the news these days.

JoJo.....are you feeling better after your latest siege of migraines? I hope so.

BagLady

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#95148 - Sat Mar 04 2000 11:19 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Hillsider Offline
Explorer

Badlady - yes propanolol didn't do it for me but my husband suffered Cluster Headaches which are classified differently from migraine. They come up to four times a day or more at exactly the same time of day and seem to be a malfunction of the hyperthalamus. Dealing with the blood pressue seems to be effective.
I did try them - zilch - I also have taken St John's Wort for the past year with no palpable effect to my migs.
Unfortunately despite the tranqs seeming to be changing my attacks, they didn't prevent the mother of an attack at the end of last week causing me to lie totally in bed - when not throwing up in the bathroonm - and completely losing two days of my life. I so resent the loss of those hours! It was also on the days when I had planned a heavy work schedule before taking a much needed afternoon of retail therapy. All gone by the board now.
I haven't had such a bad one for quite a while so now my hope is that as it was a Six Pack so to speak, I will be clear for a bit.
Here's hoping.....

------------------
Hillsider

#95149 - Sat Mar 04 2000 10:22 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you BrideLady, I feel much better now. I don't suffer but about once a month and I actually went almost four months without one. This last one was pretty bad, but I have never had ones as bad as Hillsider does.

Hillsider I sure hope you feel better soon. It just breaks my heart that you have suffered so much and you are such a sweet lady. How is Poppy and Ben? I bet they help to comfort you a little. I know how much you love your doggies. Give them a big hug for me please. Take care Hillsider and I hope to talk to again real soon. MMUUOOOAAHHH to Poppy and Ben.

#95150 - Sat Apr 08 2000 08:25 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Has anyone heard from Hillsider? I am starting to worry about her since I haven't seen her here in awhile. If anyone sees her around, would you please let me know that she is alright? Thanks

#95151 - Sat Apr 08 2000 08:45 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
shaeyvette Offline
Explorer

Loc: Dallas area Texas
JoJo I have tried to read all of your posts about your migraines. Seems like you suffer the same type that I do...around the same time of the month, mine come every month. The only thing that really helps for me is Imitrex. Sometimes if it is in the base of my neck, Exedrin Migraine will help along with soaking my feet in water, which help the flow of blood. But for the full blown migraine, I have to have the Imitrex. I think I have gone through every type of medication there is for the attacks, and Imitrex is about the most reliable. The funny thing is that when I first started suffering, about 9 years ago, I told my doctor that they came around that time each month, and he told me that it wasnt a migraine and he acted like I was the crazy one. He, at that time wasn't familiar with menstrual migraines. My only relief came when I was pregnant. I went that whole time without a single headache.

#95152 - Tue Apr 11 2000 11:25 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
BagLady Offline
Prolific

Loc: Shangri-La USA
JoJo, I was thinking the other day about Hillsider too, and no, I haven't seen her lately (but I really don't have time to go through all the Forums that often). I hope like you do that she's all right. She had mentioned surgery back a while, I wonder if that is the reason.

I'm sure that all of you have accessed everything on the web that has to do with Migraines, but I came across the following this morning and wanted to share the link. It probably doesn't have anything in it that is new, but even if one little thing helps, it'll be worth it. It's:
http://www.drkoop.com/conditions/migraine/page_52_249.asp

Hope you're all migraine-free.

BL

....[i]Thomas Szasz</I]

#95153 - Tue Apr 11 2000 01:34 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you BrideLady I will check the site out this afternoon.

Hillsider, when you come back and read this, we just want you to know that we are thinking of you, miss you and wish you well. Take care.

#95154 - Mon May 08 2000 03:35 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

You are right shaeyvette, that seems like I get them at that time. I take Exedrin also. I haven't had one in at least two monthe (I believe) I almost felt one coming on but I was thrilled that it was just a little headache. I would be perfectly happy if I never had one again.

#95155 - Wed May 10 2000 09:10 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
shaeyvette Offline
Explorer

Loc: Dallas area Texas
I just read two separate articles and both state that they have found that 200 mg of vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) and 400 mg of magnesium daily put a stop to migraines in 80% of sufferers tested. Has anybody who suffers tried this?

#95156 - Wed May 10 2000 10:58 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I haven't shaeyvette, but I would be willing to try it out, thanks.

#95157 - Sun May 14 2000 08:32 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
wright Offline
Explorer

Loc: sanford,nc27330
My daughter has migraines when ever her thyroid is really acting up.. actually it was one of her first symptoms although it's not considered calssic for her disease..at any rate the Doctor prescribed a very low dose of Inderal to be taken twice a day.. Only 10 Milligrams each dose. The migraines stopped immediantly.. and they have every time she starts with them again the inderal stops them.. Inderal is a very benign drug at such low doses and really cheap.. maybe this would be worth mentioning to your M.D. I wish you well. I have never had one but just watching my daughter experience them is terrible.. I really think this might help you. I really hope something can. best wishes..

#95158 - Mon May 15 2000 12:04 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

wright you are such a dear. Thank you so much for the information and I am so happy that your daughter doesn't have to experience them anymore. It must be a great relief for her. I believe that it has been at least two months since I have had one and I so thrilled. Thanks again wright, and I hope you daughter's health improves. I wish her the very best.

#95159 - Fri Dec 01 2000 02:48 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Women are twice as likely to experience migraine headaches during the first two days of their menstrual cycle than in the rest of the month, say doctors at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia. Migraine risk is also higher during the first two days prior to menstruation, but it decreases around the time of ovulation. The investigators made this observation in 81 female migraine sufferers who kept detailed diaries of their headaches for about three months. Their findings are in the Nov. 28 issue of the journal Neurology. This knowledge can help women prevent or treat their migraines, says Dr. Stephen Silberstein, a neurologist and director of the hospital's Headache Center. "That's important news, especially when you consider that 70% of all migraine sufferers are women."

#95160 - Thu Mar 01 2001 12:53 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I thought I would bring this one back up to top. Hopefully we can get some additional tips to help people who suffer from Migraines.

#95161 - Sun May 06 2001 10:31 PM Re: Migraine Tips Please
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I thought I would bring this thread back up to see if anyone has any additional tips for share for those who suffer with mmigraines.

#95162 - Mon May 07 2001 08:58 AM Re: Migraine Tips Please
Rocky Offline
Explorer

Loc: Near Canberra
ACT Australi...
I have been reading through the many tales of woe from people who suffer from migranes. Suffer is a good word for it. I used to have migranes every couple of days in my teenage years and early 20s, but for the last 10 years they have been getting further and further apart. What a relief.

However, when I do get them, it starts with the sparkling in the bottom outside corner of my right eye, and when this happens I know that within half an hour I will be cactus. I find the only cure is to lie down in a darkened, quiet room and sleep it off. Any bright lights, loud noise or smells will make me vomit. Delightful...I don't think.

A masseur gave me a wonderful tip for migranes once. I had gone for a massage at the clinic but just before I left to go there, I felt a migrane come on. Rather than cancel the massage, I went and told him that I wasn't feeling well and had a migrane coming on. He took my left hand and found a spot between the forefinger and thumb (on the fleshy part of the hand) and squeezed it really hard. He told me to close my eyes and breath deeply and held he held it for about 15 seconds. When I opened my eyes, the migrane was gone. Now, when I feel one coming on, I do this to myself and 99% of the time it works. I have found this pressure point on other people, and it works for them too. I wish I could find a picture of the hand to post up to show you the spot. Colin (the masseur) told me it was part of reflexology theory that he had been studying, so if any of you know a reflexologist, ask them about it.

Another tip he gave me was to stop hiccups. If you get the hiccups, massage your ear lobes. It stops it...works 100% of the time.

I hope this info helps some of you. There is nothing worse than a migrane (and uncontrollable hiccups are pretty bad too).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong