Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#952315 - Thu Nov 29 2012 01:40 AM Interesting Information
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I just took an ordinary new quiz that had no interesting information at all. Just one line in conclusion.

As that is one part of the quiz writing process that I have a "bit of bother" with, I was a tad annoyed to say the least.

How is this possible?

#952319 - Thu Nov 29 2012 01:58 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: zippolover]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
If by "new" you mean just put online, it's because the interesting information isn't shown until the Early Bird time is over. Which quiz was it?

#952322 - Thu Nov 29 2012 02:03 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: Mariamir]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: Mariamir
If by "new" you mean just put online, it's because the interesting information isn't shown until the Early Bird time is over.

If it is, then the II isn't shown because otherwise people could guess all the answers on the quiz, see the correct answers, take the quiz again and score perfectly and win the Early Bird badge. However, you can go back after the 20 minutes and re-take the quiz and see the interesting info.

Another possible reason is that is isn't actually new, but merely had "new" written because it had under 20 ratings. Up until fairly recently, brain teaser quizzes did not require II, and a while ago, all II was completely optional. However, brain teaser quizzes tend to get played and rated a lot and if a quiz had been online for long enough to not need II, then it would almost definitely have over 20 ratings, so maybe that isn't very likely.

~(_8(I)

#952323 - Thu Nov 29 2012 02:10 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: AdamM7]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Quote:
Another possible reason is that is isn't actually new, but merely had "new" written because it had under 20 ratings.

That is possible, but I'm fairly certain I know which quiz zippolover is referring to, the latest put on, and one s/he just played (I did, too, and saw the score). The quiz is showing its II now, by the way.

#952324 - Thu Nov 29 2012 03:50 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: Mariamir]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
If by "new" you mean just put online, it's because the interesting information isn't shown until the Early Bird time is over. Which quiz was it?

That was the reason, thank you. It was the "In Living Colour". I went back and looked and the info was there.

#952330 - Thu Nov 29 2012 05:39 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: zippolover]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Originally Posted By: zippolover

That was the reason, thank you. It was the "In Living Colour". I went back and looked and the info was there.

I thought it was that one. Glad its cleared up. smile

#952332 - Thu Nov 29 2012 05:43 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: Mariamir]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
Another possible reason is that is isn't actually new, but merely had "new" written because it had under 20 ratings.

Just to note, this isn't very likely-- a while back Terry posted all unrated quizzes and players ended up getting through them for double the points. This was a few years ago.

#952352 - Thu Nov 29 2012 08:13 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: kyleisalive]
Gil_Galad Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greece
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Just to note, this isn't very likely-- a while back Terry posted all unrated quizzes and players ended up getting through them for double the points. This was a few years ago.

Is there any chance of this being done again? Or perhaps of it being done automatically, with a list that will get updated every Monday when there are new rankings?

#952380 - Thu Nov 29 2012 10:50 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: Gil_Galad]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
As an author with a lot of seldom played quizzes, I didn't really like having people who are not interested in or knowledgeable about the subject playing unrated quizzes just for points. The quizzes got their ratings a year or two earlier than they may have if left to nature, but the ratings were lower than I'd have expected based on player reaction early. I had quite a few quizzes of the kind that only get played five times a year, but the people who played them loved them. Then a whole bunch of people who had no way of getting the inside jokes and internal references played them, and predictably rated them less well than those who knew the subject would have.

#952405 - Thu Nov 29 2012 11:37 AM Re: Interesting Information [Re: agony]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I agree with agony. While I liked being able to play those quizzes, as an author, it wasn't that great. Like agony stated, players who knew nothing about it would rate it poorly because they scored poorly, or because they didn't "get it".

Which is why, when this was implemented so long ago, I made sure to rate a quiz one higher than I thought necessary... To at least help balance out instances like that.

#952450 - Thu Nov 29 2012 02:45 PM Re: Interesting Information [Re: salami_swami]
Gil_Galad Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greece
I get that. It's not nice to have a quiz rated poorly because someone doesn't like the subject or "get it". Although, I imagine this happens to all quizzes to an extent.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4