Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#952327 - Thu Nov 29 2012 04:11 AM Global Challenge 18 Immortals!
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
It almost went unnoticed, but Global Challenge 18 has its first two Immortals. Hot on the heels of each other, bszpak from The Devil's Advocates and jules44 from classicalmusic/mensan have crossed the line.

What's even more impressive - bszpak is a first time Immortal who is running in first place right now. However the championship race for this GC is still extremely tight and might come down to the very last set!

The two of them have a quite massive lead over the third place player, so it will likely be a few more days until we get the next Immortal.

Congratulations to both and good luck to you in the closest championship race we had in years!

#952365 - Thu Nov 29 2012 09:58 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: WesleyCrusher]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Congrats to you both! I have been watching, waiting for bzspak to pass jules. He finally did it. :P

In any case, congrats, that is NOT an easy achievement, and the two of you did it so quickly!

I was going for immortal, but I don't score very well in later levels, and missed a set, and dropped out of even the top 100. So I gave up. Haha.

Anyway, awesome job, you guys!

#952368 - Thu Nov 29 2012 10:12 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: salami_swami]
shuehorn Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Lawrenceville Georgia USA     
I don't know what has happened to me this year, but I am worn out too and gave up on the GC, which is the first time I've done that since finding the game years ago. Double congratulations to the two Immortals who have left the rest of the players in the dust, struggling to catch up.

#952375 - Thu Nov 29 2012 10:38 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: shuehorn]
bubblesfun Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Great job to both! That was smoking fast!

#952384 - Thu Nov 29 2012 11:12 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: shuehorn]
malik24 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Somerset UK
Originally Posted By: shuehorn
I don't know what has happened to me this year, but I am worn out too and gave up on the GC, which is the first time I've done that since finding the game years ago. Double congratulations to the two Immortals who have left the rest of the players in the dust, struggling to catch up.

Don't worry, several people have to take a break, myself included! I chuntered to div 5 or 6 on hardcore this time, looked at the league tables and decided it wasn't happening, then reset for challenge purposes.

Upshot of that is you can go in on the next one and start on a high which is a good morale booster for the longterm.

Good luck to the Immortals-to-be still plugging away... smile

#952769 - Fri Nov 30 2012 03:16 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: malik24]
riodice Offline
Participant

Loc: Purley on Thames Berkshire UK
I'm watching the duel between the two immortals with great interest. I'm also hanging in there wondering if this time I may manage to go up to a new high into level 9. I do have one question regarding my average score. According to thestats on my team page my avergae is approx 850, but on the global challenge stat page, for the same number of games played (1216) the average is 1015! Can anyone shed some light on how this can be? Thanks. Riodice

#952787 - Fri Nov 30 2012 04:19 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: riodice]
Nammage Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida USA
I have only played in two of these tournaments, and both times it seems I always come in late. I made it to level 8 the 1st time, so, I figure if I played when it started I might actually make it to 10 but by a sliver of a chance. Probably just halfway through 9.

I could be wrong, though.

-Nam

#955204 - Wed Dec 12 2012 06:26 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: Nammage]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

We have a second new Immortal - TheCrazedOne made it across the line.

In addition, a dozen of repeat Immortals have completed the race: rbearusa, ghosttowner, bubblesfun, JeffPearce, KayceeKool, Dreamcoat, Emma-Jane, postcards2go, raffucci, alan56, mfc and magijoh1.

The championship is still far from being decided - this GC might run into the holidays - I expect the last day to be between the 24th and 27th of December!

#955225 - Wed Dec 12 2012 09:21 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: WesleyCrusher]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
I expect the last day to be between the 24th and 27th of December!

If it ends on the last day of your range, it'll end on my birthday...the 27th.

#955302 - Thu Dec 13 2012 12:10 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: dg_dave]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
The 27th is my birthday too dg dave.

#956529 - Thu Dec 20 2012 02:03 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: Starlord]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

It's looking to finish on the 24th or even on the 23rd - just over half of the new Immortals (16) are now over the line and the rest is going into the final turns of the track. So all those of you who feared they might have to play over the holidays themselves - most likely it won't have to be.

#957060 - Sun Dec 23 2012 09:59 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: WesleyCrusher]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Looks like it should END TODAY, after the first round. I count 32 new Immortals at the time of this post. Congrats to all.

#957068 - Sun Dec 23 2012 11:09 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: ssabreman]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
It can't stop then, I'm half way through today's challenge!

#957069 - Sun Dec 23 2012 11:14 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: flopsymopsy]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Thanks for the email Wes -- I would have totally forgotten to end it!

The GC just hit 30 immortals so it ends now. Congrats to the winners, and I'll have final results up shortly.

T

#957070 - Sun Dec 23 2012 11:20 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: Terry]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

I bought that challenge, I've been robbed!

(But well done to all the new Immortals and to everyone who got Hardcore. smile )

#957071 - Sun Dec 23 2012 11:26 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: flopsymopsy]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Bad luck floppy! In theory, daily challenges from this point on should not deal with the global challenge. Hopefully.

#957073 - Sun Dec 23 2012 11:35 AM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: Terry]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

At least it wasn't an Epic, then I might have been really p**... irritated. wink

#957084 - Sun Dec 23 2012 12:10 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: flopsymopsy]
gracie3 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Stoke on Trent StaffordshireUK
Dominate the global challenge! Collect at least 13233 points playing Global Challenge games today.

How??

#957093 - Sun Dec 23 2012 01:23 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: gracie3]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
An unfortunate case of bad luck, Gracie. wink that shouldn't be given until next global, though.

Which is when? I'm gonna be an immortal hardcore this time, gosh darn it. wink

#957095 - Sun Dec 23 2012 01:44 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: salami_swami]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

All badges have been dispatched to the respective winners - 32 new Immortals and 10 new Hardcore Champions.

The unlucky 11th in Hardcore and a very honorable mention goes to dsimpy who missed the HC top 10 by just a hair - less than 4,000 points of a difference on a score of 1.8 million!

#957098 - Sun Dec 23 2012 02:36 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: WesleyCrusher]
dsimpy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belfast Ireland
Thanks for the mention Wes! smilee It was going to come down to whether it was me or my team mate BxBarracuda who got the final HC spot, so that meliorates any slight disappointment I could have felt, that another CM/Mer was successful.

And then there's next time ... laugh

#957109 - Sun Dec 23 2012 03:21 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: dsimpy]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Congratulations, all. And looking forward to the next one!

Terry, any ideas on when the starting flag will drop again?

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#957128 - Sun Dec 23 2012 04:37 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: ozzz2002]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

The page says late January - I would assume the usual four week break, so you might want to prepare for around the 20th. This is the best guess we have right now.

#957377 - Tue Dec 25 2012 01:43 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: WesleyCrusher]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
I learnt something myself about the rating game, as having completed the full journey twice I now play normal mode to get up the ratings instead. I knew how to get there but advice to anyone else, stop when you're ahead. When I reached div 8 in the top 40 or so it took a week to drop off the list entirely as unless you play that far regularly the questions were entirely new for enough topics to send me back to square one. It's a totally different strategy than immortal and as I've discovered can mean playing a lot less to do well than every single game.

Well done to all, and one day I'll go for that hard core again whatever the chances...

UN IPCC

#962926 - Thu Jan 24 2013 02:59 PM Re: Global Challenge 18 Immortals! [Re: WesleyCrusher]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Terry/Wes,

Any plans on reopening the torture chamber soon? I want the hard-core badge! smile

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Terry