Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#953469 - Tue Dec 04 2012 01:09 AM Crossword Special Notes
superfan123 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
I have begun to author crosswords; I already have one online and am just finishing another. However, the Special Notes box doesn't seem to be showing on the playing screen, so anything you type there won't be seen. If I am just missing something, I apologize in advance, but what I want to know is if there is a way to display the Special Notes while playing the crossword.

#953552 - Tue Dec 04 2012 11:05 AM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: superfan123]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I think there is a note that says the special notes are not visible to the players; that is a box to perhaps give you reminders as to special clues you are using, or to give the editor a quick note.

There are two boxes, one can be seen by players, but the "special notes" is not seen by players. smile

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#953553 - Tue Dec 04 2012 11:07 AM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: salami_swami]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Note, I do see that it says they are special notes for players, but, in my experience (and I've written 26 crosswords), this box has NEVER been visible by players.

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#953582 - Tue Dec 04 2012 02:41 PM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: salami_swami]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
No that box has never been visible so if you want the players to be able to read it, please add it to the bottom of the Introduction.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#953589 - Tue Dec 04 2012 03:26 PM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: skunkee]
superfan123 Offline
Participant

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Hm, that's strange. Maybe something should be done about that.

#953646 - Tue Dec 04 2012 06:09 PM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: superfan123]
CmdrK Online   content
Prolific

Loc: Nevada USA
I've played around with trying to author a crossword but so far, the 'aha' moment has eluded me, so I can't comment on the gymnastics necessary to get one online. But after reading this and the end of the Quiz Writing Month 2012 thread, the mechanics of producing and publicizing crosswords seem rather clunky. Crosswords seem to be pretty popular of late, so maybe it's time to rethink how they go through the process and get online.

#953658 - Tue Dec 04 2012 06:58 PM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: CmdrK]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

They really do get easier with practice!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#953666 - Tue Dec 04 2012 07:30 PM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: skunkee]
reeshy Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Glasgow Scotland UK           
I think the set-up of the crossword templates is a good one, and easy to work with. Apart from the box that people have mentioned here, I don't think anything really needs to be revised. Yes, it would be nice to get a message when it goes online, but it's also not such a big deal to check the queue when you have a crossword in it. smile My two cents, anyway. As Skunkee says, the more practise, the easier it gets!

#953678 - Tue Dec 04 2012 09:34 PM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: reeshy]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Champion Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I always try to send a message when I put a crossword online. It isn't automatic in the same way it is with quizzes, which would be nice, but I try to remember smile

______
Editor in Movies, Brain Teasers, Geography & Crosswords

#953705 - Wed Dec 05 2012 01:23 AM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: spanishliz]
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK 
I don't recall ever receiving a message about any of the crosswords (not that many) that I've written to confirm that it is online. The main improvement I'd love to see is an option to take the crossword before you submit it, in the same way that you have a quiz preview screen. That would help pick up any silly mistakes or missing clues.

#953887 - Wed Dec 05 2012 10:09 PM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: rossian]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Are you sure? I could have sworn that I've sent you a note before. I try very hard to remember to do so but sometimes you get distractged en route!

#954824 - Mon Dec 10 2012 05:41 PM Re: Crossword Special Notes [Re: skunkee]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
I also try to send a note when I put one online, but when my General queue gets long, I try to edit several, and then forget to go back and send notes. frown

Moderator:  agony