Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#953315 - Mon Dec 03 2012 09:11 AM UK Supanet problems
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Westmorland UK
I'm asking on behalf of a friend who uses Supanet dial-up. He's had no access since last Thursday. Does anybody else know of problems with this service?

#953505 - Tue Dec 04 2012 04:49 AM Re: UK Supanet problems [Re: Lottie1001]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
It looks like nobody else uses it Lottie but in these cases, it is usually best to phone the ISP for information.

#953518 - Tue Dec 04 2012 06:29 AM Re: UK Supanet problems [Re: tellywellies]
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks, Tellywellies. He tried that, but the number just gave him the end of a recorded message. I just posted here on the offchance that somebody might have heard something. I have also suggested that my friend might like to move into the twenty-first century and get broadband!

#953534 - Tue Dec 04 2012 07:28 AM Re: UK Supanet problems [Re: Lottie1001]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Originally Posted By: Lottie1001
I have also suggested that my friend might like to move into the twenty-first century and get broadband!

Yes, I can remember being on dial-up and how slow it was. smile

Regarding the connection problem, there is a contact page with an e-mail address and telephone number. Perhaps only the same number as your friend has already tried though. It might be worth trying it at various times of the day to see if it always a recorded message.

http://www.supanet.com/contact-us/

If it is something on the computer, the difficulty comes in finding anyone else on dial-up to compare computer settings with. It's been such a long time since I was on dial-up that I can't help there. However, it might be possible to get some idea of what the computer settings should be by looking at sites that talk about dial-up settings for various operating systems and ISPs. Just type 'dial-up settings' into a search engine for information.

#953538 - Tue Dec 04 2012 08:20 AM Re: UK Supanet problems [Re: tellywellies]
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks, again, Tellywellies. That is the page he got the number from. If he asks me for further help I'll look into dial-up settings for him.

#953539 - Tue Dec 04 2012 08:38 AM Re: UK Supanet problems [Re: tellywellies]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
If they're using a pre-8 version of Windows and Internet Explorer, the IE has a wizard/tool that will run even off line to test connectivity problems. If the problem is down the line, this won't help; but, if there's a modem/router issue, the diagnostic will find it. I have used it several times after I'd been on-line and was disconnected. It turned out those times to be a stagnant connection in my modem. Re-setting the plugs into the jacks and the trouble went away. Just sitting there, contacts get crud deposited on them from the air and they need to be re-established every few months (seems the PC designers put all the power supply fans in a spot to drag high volumes of air by the modem jacks, visiting them with a lifetime one-tenth of a normal phone connection). Then there's that silicon dust from the Iceland volcano to clean away.

REM the 4 W's: Whence Worknot, Wire Wiggle
(exercising due safety of course!)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

Moderator:  flopsymopsy, ladymacb29