Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#486293 - Wed Nov 11 2009 09:41 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Copago]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I am getting to the bottom of my vegemite jar and am getting to near panic mode. I had my toast and butter with marmite this morning and, as one not raised on either of them, I find that the marmite has an almost metallic aftertaste. See HERE for a sad, sad sight.

#486294 - Wed Nov 11 2009 11:49 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ClaraSue]
Tobyone Offline
Participant

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia       
Quote:

I am getting to the bottom of my vegemite jar and am getting to near panic mode.

I can understand you feeling panicked, you have my sympathy. You also have my admiration, it takes an educated palate to detect the metallic taste of Marmite.

Is buying Vegemite (The Wonder Spread) online an option? It travels well.

#486295 - Mon Nov 23 2009 02:31 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: lady1]
tezza1551 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Western Australia
Vegemite.. and I have a son who at the age of 5, lived on Vegemite sandwiches for almost a year.. and is now, 26 years later, 186cm tall and 90kg in weight.. gotta be good for you !
“Life is not a journey to the grave with intentions of arriving safely in a pretty well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming ... WOW! What a ride!”

#486296 - Mon Nov 23 2009 03:21 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: tezza1551]
HairyBear Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
Don't know anything about either, but I can't click on "never heard of it" on the opinion poll since I was a fan of Men at Work's song, "Down Under." The answer to the question, "Can you order it on-line?" is yes, found a U.S. website for Marmite and Vegemite here: http://www.marmitepantry.com/Vegemite.html

#486297 - Mon Nov 23 2009 03:29 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: tezza1551]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Marmite forever. All the family like it too. One son even eats it mixed with treacle! I just ate some Marmite on toast a few minutes ago. I could eat another slice but that would be greedy.

In fairness, I haven't tried Vegemite. The only time I came close to buying it, a complete stranger persuaded me to put the pot back on the supermarket shelf. She said it really wasn't a patch on Marmite. The decision to buy was very marginal, so I let myself be influenced. I got a pot of Marmite instead. Why change from such a great product anyway?

#486298 - Mon Nov 23 2009 10:30 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: tellywellies]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Thank you, HairyBear, for the website. I shall be ordering my new jar very soon.

#486299 - Tue Nov 24 2009 07:03 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ClaraSue]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

O'happy day! I found that vegemite is sold right here in my little town at the World Market store. Now my cupboard has a new jar and I get my breakfast toast tomorrow.

#486300 - Tue Nov 24 2009 07:26 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ClaraSue]
MarchHare007 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Jilliby NSW Australia         

Excellent ClaraSue!

Good things Always come to those who wait!

#486301 - Tue Nov 24 2009 07:52 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: MarchHare007]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Personally if the shops in my town didn't stock Marmite, I would move. Vote with your feet, I say.

#486302 - Sat Dec 19 2009 05:28 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ren33]
Tobyone Offline
Participant

ClaraSue, I'm very pleased to learn you're able to enjoy proper toast again.

Vegemite is now a prized ingredient in global dining.

"In Sydney for the International Food Festival, chef Alex Bourdas from the famed Sa.Qua.Na restaurant in Normandy, was given a jar of Vegemite. He now has a dish on the menu of cod, oyster cream, cabbage, Toulouse sausage and a Vegemite reduction that has European critics swooning" (with delight, assuredly.)

Hong Kong chef, Alvin Leung has also created "ho fun", a Vegemite wagyu.

#647115 - Sat Aug 13 2011 08:08 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Tobyone]
triviapaul Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Delft<br>The Netherlands
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I just could not contain my excitement, having found a shop in The Hague where Vegemite is sold. Australians can now move to The Netherlands without adverse effects. Decision to buy a 220 gr pot took about 0.1 sec. Having tasted the stuff I feel qualified to offer my opinion: it is slightly more bitter than Marmite, and has a more pronounced beer taste. In short, I like Vegemite better than Marmite. Thank you for your time.
Cheers

#647126 - Sat Aug 13 2011 08:57 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: triviapaul]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

I'm thrilled to see Vegemite conquering the world wink As for me, I alternate between Vegemite and Promite which is a Masterfoods product in Oz. It's similar to Vegemite but has a sweeter taste. Although it taste less salty, it has more salt than Vegemite last time I read the labels. I know two people that love Vegemite and tomato sandwiches. I don't like that at all as the water from the tomatoes dilutes the Vegemite but to each their own. laugh

#647216 - Sat Aug 13 2011 02:35 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Tizzabelle]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
I like Marmite crisps. smile

#953396 - Mon Dec 03 2012 05:23 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: MarchHare007]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I am reliably informed that Marmite is an ingredient of a new perfume!

Beat that you Vegemite fans!

#953398 - Mon Dec 03 2012 05:32 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Oh Sue, where have you been? I always dab a little Vegemite behind my ears before leaving the house! You should try it. wink

#953399 - Mon Dec 03 2012 05:33 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Offline

I suppose that it would be preferable to actually eating the stuff! But is it worth 125 quid?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/articl...eltic-Fire.html

The other ingredients are peat, oak, fir and bog myrtle, a fragrance that 'speaks eloquently of primordial terrain', which to me sounds like you are spraying yourself with really old dirt. Charming, I am sure...

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#953448 - Mon Dec 03 2012 10:30 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
I, personally, would rather not smell like either one, but maybe I'm the strange one lol. wink

#953466 - Tue Dec 04 2012 12:19 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: dg_dave]
Howie72 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Timaru NZ
Still no marmite in production in New Zealand thanks to the earthquakes....marmageddon continues frown

Would not want to get vegemite so I am gone without for over 18 months....

#953707 - Wed Dec 05 2012 02:19 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Howie72]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Oh Howie, that is awful.

#953715 - Wed Dec 05 2012 02:38 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
ozzz2002 Offline

Howie, they sell Marmite in Australia, and I could send you some. The only problem is that the use-by date is some time in 1976. wink

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#953729 - Wed Dec 05 2012 05:06 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I hear that the Chanel company has bought the rights to "Twinkies" and a special desert fragrance will soon be on the market! After you've eaten your main course, you dab a bit on to feel more full. I'll hold out until they produce a pineapple upside-down cake with cherries on it scent.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#953785 - Wed Dec 05 2012 12:29 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: mehaul]
Tekka Offline
Explorer

Loc: Vancouver
BC Canada
It's MARMITE every time for me and my family. We can purchase it here in Vancouver but only in the small jars unfortunately. I tried Vegemite and it was a real disappointment, not half as good as Marmite!!

#953786 - Wed Dec 05 2012 12:50 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Tekka]
Squisher Offline
Explorer

Loc: Calgary Alberta Canada       
As an impartial Canadian, I'd have to say that Marmite wins hands down. I first tried Marmite as a child and really enjoyed it, especially on toast. Then on vacation to Australia I was eager to try Vegemite. I was surprised that the two didn't taste similar, as I greatly disliked Vegemite.

#953880 - Wed Dec 05 2012 08:15 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Squisher]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
I think the preference possibly comes with whichever you tried first. If you tried Vegemite first, you will probably prefer Vegemite - the same goes for Marmite, I expect smile

#953935 - Thu Dec 06 2012 05:57 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Lones78]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I was listening to a podcast of the Frank Skinner radio show and they were saying that if you have a blob of Marmite and keep hitting it with a spoon (and then keep hitting it more) it will turn white. Can anyone confirm?
It's a bit late a nighht here but I'm going to try it with vegemite tomorrow. smile

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943