Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#486243 - Thu Sep 24 2009 07:18 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: BurgGurl]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
You would not need enough to colour it, you really only need to very lightly smear it at first, it is only well seasoned palates that could take it spread thickly, and even then our eyes might water!

#486244 - Thu Sep 24 2009 07:32 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I spread some Marmite onto bread and butter to show you what you ought to be doing as a novice. The piece on the right is what you ought to be aiming for, the one on the left is for those used to eating it.

Marmite spread on bread

Edited by sue943 (Sat May 31 2014 07:51 AM)

#486245 - Thu Sep 24 2009 08:06 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
Wow Sue, thanks for the tip. It looks like Apple Butter to me in those photos. My mother used to eat that, but I never developed a taste for it. I like salty tastes, so maybe this won't be so difficult an experiment for me. I have toasted some bagels this morning and left half of one without my Boursin so that I might use it for this purpose. Would an onion bagel be acceptable or would it confuse the flavor?

#486246 - Thu Sep 24 2009 08:19 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: BurgGurl]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Being a newby myself in the marmite/vegemite world (4-5 years now ), I wouldn't use an onion bagel for the first time. I now eat mine on wheat bread with butter and I spread it on as thick as a pro.

#486247 - Thu Sep 24 2009 08:24 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ClaraSue]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Some nasty people would suggest that masking the flavour of Marmite would be a good thing...

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#486248 - Thu Sep 24 2009 08:56 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Quote:

Some nasty people would suggest that masking the flavour of Marmite would be a good thing...

Probably the same people who say vegemite tastes like sump oil smells.

#486249 - Thu Sep 24 2009 04:05 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: BurgGurl]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Forrestfield Western Australia
A small spoonful is not enough to colour your potatoes brown. It just adds a bit of flavour to something pretty boring. Adding a bit of grated cheese as well is nice

#486250 - Fri Sep 25 2009 12:16 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Lones78]
The_lioness33 Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Adelaide South Australia    
Vegemite is wonderful on crumpets. You spread the butter on, and then you spread the vegemite. And Mmmmmmmmm.

#486251 - Fri Sep 25 2009 12:53 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: The_lioness33]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Oh, yuk, yuk, yuk!
My husband does that! He also puts it on pancakes and my 11 month old daughter loves it on milk arrowroot biscuits.
For me, it's toast and bread (but with butter as well), and occasionally spooned out of the jar if I'm feeling a bit run-down

#486252 - Fri Sep 25 2009 05:53 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: Lones78]
BurgGurl Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania USA
So everyone agrees, no matter which side you are on - Marmite or Vegemite - butter is a must?

....today's the day!

#486253 - Fri Sep 25 2009 06:45 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: BurgGurl]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Butter is definitely a must.

#486254 - Fri Sep 25 2009 08:16 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: BurgGurl]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

If you dont have butter, it will be hard getting it down. Vegemite is pretty dry, sort of like peanut butter, but not as cloying.
Good luck...

#486255 - Tue Sep 29 2009 06:17 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: sue943]
triviapaul Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Delft<br>The Netherlands
Quote:

Butter is definitely a must.

That explains why I considered the taste less than impressive until now. I will go out and purchase some buttery comestibles and continental crumpet equivalents forthwith.

#486256 - Tue Sep 29 2009 10:10 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: triviapaul]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
BurgGurl?? What's the verdict?

#486257 - Tue Nov 03 2009 12:12 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ClaraSue]
dg_dave Online   crying
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
Saw this story about "renaming" Vegemite. Don't know how the Aussies feel about this one...

#486258 - Tue Nov 03 2009 12:25 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: dg_dave]
Lones78 Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Saw this story about "renaming" Vegemite. Don't know how the Aussies feel about this one...

It isnt a re-naming of the 'original' Vegemite that we Aussie's kicked up a stink about. That one wont be going anywhere soon. It was a new version they released - with a little less 'bang and sizzle' on the tongue. It is essentially Vegemite mixed with cream cheese and you have to keep it in the fridge as opposed to in the cupboard (because of the cheese I am assuming).

Even you lot not living in Australia and not brought up on the stuff might be able to stomach the new version

#486259 - Tue Nov 03 2009 12:29 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: dg_dave]
ozzz2002 Offline

Dave, it is not renaming it, as such- it is quite a new product. It is a lot milder than the original- probably aimed at the overseas market.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about both the new product and the new name. The product seems to be catching on, but the name has been roundly panned. The consensus is that it was a marketing ploy by Kraft, employing the old saw that any publicity is good publicity.

I think the name 'iSnack 2.0' is totally ridiculous myself, and cannot wait until it gets changed to something a bit more descriptive. It sounds like it is named after a computer game. It may create a secondary market, as the jars may become collectors items. I have tucked one away, just in case.

#486260 - Tue Nov 03 2009 01:38 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Do tell, Greg, why would the jars be collectors'items? Is it because the new product is even more gross than Vegemite and won't last as no one will buy it, therefore the jars become collectibles. I cannot think of any other reason as the jar is a boring shape, not interesting like the Marmite jar.

#486261 - Tue Nov 03 2009 02:04 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ren33]
ozzz2002 Offline

The labels would be the collectable part. It is a shrink-wrap type plastic label that would not destroy easily, and I suspect that it will only be on the market for a short time.

Of course, I could be wildly wrong, and will be responsible for cupboards around the nation being stocked with hundreds of jars of Vegemite.

"...new product is even more gross than Vegemite and won't last as no one will buy it."- And I am NOT going to bite at this totally inflamatory statement.

#486262 - Tue Nov 03 2009 09:29 AM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
dg_dave Online   crying
Star Poster

Looks like no one saw the quote marks around the word "renaming." My question is why would someone take something that people like and change it to cause such a stir? It doesn't make any sense to me.

#486263 - Tue Nov 03 2009 12:05 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: dg_dave]
ozzz2002 Offline

I suppose you could ask the folk at Coca Cola the same question. Remember 'New Coke'?

I cannot answer your question, Dave, without using the words 'brain explosion'. It is just corporate lunacy.

#486264 - Tue Nov 03 2009 01:59 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
dg_dave Online   crying
Star Poster

Quote:

I suppose you could ask the folk at Coca Cola the same question. Remember 'New Coke'?

Yes, I remember the fiasco...1985 was the year.

Quote:

I cannot answer your question, Dave, without using the words 'brain explosion'. It is just corporate lunacy.

Granted, I don't eat Vegemite, but knowing how Australians like it, it is indeed corporate lunacy.

How would the Marmite eaters feel if someone did that to them? (sorry to leave the Marmiters out )

#486265 - Tue Nov 03 2009 02:51 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: ozzz2002]
cydonia325 Offline
Prolific

Loc: Stepford New York USA        
Quote:

Remember 'New Coke'?

Yes, I do. I also remember the delightful 'Pepsi Blue', which provided your RDA of Blue Dye #1.

Sorry, I did not intend to derail the thread. Returning to the issue of The Marmite Vegemite Wars
I am a staunch defender of Marmite. I stock both products in the house, since my son will only eat Vegemite.

One of my children is autistic. Like many other children on the spectrum, he is a tremendously fussy eater. He won't eat foods that are not highly salted. I am quite certain he would be happy to munch on handfuls of Sea Salt!

ecnalubma suggested that I try giving my son some Vegemite on toast, as nutrition is a constant concern. I had Marmite in the house, but no dice. However, my son is loving the Vegemite! I don't understand how he can tolerate 3 tablespoons of the stuff on one slice of toast, but it is the only source of iron and B Vitamins in his diet. Unless Cheetos are secretly a nutritional goldmine, but this fact is kept off the label in case children might be frightened off by the thought of eating such a healthy snack food.

(edited to reflect that I could not spell the word "ambulance" backwards)

Edited by cydonia325 (Thu Nov 05 2009 01:04 AM)

#486266 - Tue Nov 03 2009 05:18 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: cydonia325]
MollyGrue Offline
Prolific

Loc: Michigan USA
I don't think I could try either if I had some, on the other hand my husband said he tried Vegemite once, he claims it tastes like salty earwax he's never had Marmite.

#486267 - Tue Nov 03 2009 05:36 PM Re: Marmite versus Vegemite - Let Battle Commence! [Re: MollyGrue]
Squisher Offline
Explorer

Loc: Calgary Alberta Canada       
Gee, I'm way late on this debate, but here's my 2 cents! I've tried both and I MUCH PREFER Marmite. I didn't care for Vegemite at all.

I think what turns a lot of people off is that they spread too much of it on whatever they're eating. A little dab'll do ya! It's great on toast! I ate quite a bit of it as a kid.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  ren33, sue943