Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 10 of 22 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#970668 - Wed Mar 06 2013 02:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Yes, love that film.

Mehaul, have you seen "A Perfect Murder" (Michael Douglas & Gwyneth Paltrow)? It's the re-make of Dial M. Of course it doesn't have the charm of the original but it does have suspense and does shake things up enough to make it a worthy re-make. I enjoyed it anyway. smile

Edited by Chavs (Wed Mar 06 2013 02:47 PM)

#970671 - Wed Mar 06 2013 02:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I love that one, too - it's amazing how dynamic a film it is, considering it mostly takes place in the one room.

#970673 - Wed Mar 06 2013 02:58 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Yes. Like Rope. And Rear Window. Fantastic films.

#970754 - Wed Mar 06 2013 08:56 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Have "Rope" (nobody touch my chest, he he he), will get "A Perfect Murder" and "Rear Window".

#971676 - Mon Mar 11 2013 09:09 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I've recently watched "Chasing Mavericks" (2012) over the weekend for the second time.

It is just as good as it was in theaters. Gerard Butler did great in this documentary of surfer Jay Moriarty's famous ride of some of the largest waves in the world; the mavericks.

Great film, and I implore all to watch it, if you like that sort of film. I really enjoyed it, though it may not have done so well in box office...

#971814 - Tue Mar 12 2013 04:35 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

"Bridesmaids"

Loved it!

I'd been avoiding it -- with a name like that I was wary that it was really a rom-com or chick-flick, but it's not frothy and it's not tame - it's just proper funny! It's the antidote to chick-flicks/rom-coms. There are proper laugh-out-louds in there, I mean the type that take you by surprise and come out as a belly-shaking-guffaw. Women are funny as hell.

Edited by Chavs (Tue Mar 12 2013 04:44 AM)

#971835 - Tue Mar 12 2013 10:33 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Ozma of OZ" (1987) - Narrated by Margot Kidder - A Japanese anime redubbed and put together in Canada from episodes into a single film. It tells essentially the same story done two years earlier in "Return to Oz". It has the Baum characters: Ozma, Jack Pumpkinhead, Mr Mouse, the Nome King, Billina the chicken, Tik-Tok the robot, the Wheelers, Princess Langwidere, the Prince of Ev, Kaliko (the Nome King's chief aide) and the usual four: Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Man and the Lion. Ozma and Jack only appear in a few scenes and are unimportant in this tale. I found it interesting that the Japanese thought nothing of animating Dorothy with low stockings held up by garters exposed by her waist high skirt.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Mar 12 2013 12:31 PM)

#972470 - Thu Mar 14 2013 03:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Princess Diaries" - Anne Hathaway, Julie Andrews
A tween finds out she's really a princess. Good for all those tweens who dream of being princesses I guess, but not for me. Even theextra bonus bits were self congratulatory and boring. "My wig came off in a scene" says Anne and when the scene comes up, Julie won't stop yapping so's Anne can point out the goof!

Here's a good one with excellent Bonus stuff:

"Casablanca"
See cast and reviews listed in all the top ten movie lists.
The DVD Bonus (outstanding) had Bacall doing a Boggie Biography. There are two commentary tracks to listen to (one is critic Ebert and the other is historian Behlmer). This is one of what everyone says is a great film that I hadn't seen before. Others on my yet to see list are (sans "s) Citizen Kane, High Sierra, Mary Poppins, Bambi, Sophie's Choice, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Big Sleep (I've seen the remakes and variations of the theme), all the Marx Brothers and more I suppose. You got a list, I probably haven't seen some of them. The end credits on movies have registry numbers on them and we're around film number 50,000 being issued!

Let's do some math. 50,000 films times 90 minutes(ave. 1.5 hrs) per film is 75,000 hours of film divided by 25 hours in a day (thank you fast forward!) gives 3,000 days but if you want sleep, double it to 6,000 days divided by 300 days per year (equipment downtime not viewer burnout) leaves 20 years of straight awake popcorn eating time consumption. That's do-able, right?

#972725 - Sat Mar 16 2013 09:55 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Dirty Dancing" - Wish I'd seen this before twenty-five years had gone by.

#972751 - Sat Mar 16 2013 02:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
papo2228 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
The last film I watched was J.Edgar by Clint Eastwood with Leonardo Di Caprio. Though it was too long it caught my attention because of the traits of personality of the main character which were unknown to me.

#973200 - Wed Mar 20 2013 02:33 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canada
I watched Stay Alive a few days ago, and I'm halfway through Hunger. Both are really good horror movies. Developed plot, good acting, nice gore. Two thumbs up from me. smile

#973218 - Wed Mar 20 2013 07:06 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Tron
- Jeff Bridges, Bruce Boxleitner, David Warner, Cindy Morgan, Barnard Hughe

House
- William Katt, George Wendt, Richard Moll, Kay Lenz, Mary Stavin

House II: The Second Story
- Arye Gross, Jonathan Stark, Royal Dano, Bill Maher, John Ratzenburger, Amy Yasbeck

Murder on the Orient Express
- Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, Martin Balsam, Vanessa Redgrave

Couldn't ask for a more enjoyable group of distractions, er, did I leave the kettle on?

#973812 - Sat Mar 23 2013 11:47 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
"Triple Cross" (1966) starring a very young and handsome Christopher Plummer as a dashing safecracker who becomes an agent for the Nazis (double cross) and then an agent for the Brits (triple cross). I think they sort of modeled it on the Bond movies, in that there is implication that he's a ladies' man, but it's based on a true story of a real-life safe-cracking double-agent, and it's not over the top in the least. Yul Brynner plays a rather sympathetic Nazi colonel, if you can imagine. Fun film.

Edited by gracious1 (Sat Mar 23 2013 11:48 AM)

#973859 - Sat Mar 23 2013 03:09 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I was taken to the cinema to see "Les Misérables".

I understand why it was done the way it was, but why sell it as a musical when the singing is not "that important"?

#973865 - Sat Mar 23 2013 04:21 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

You mean you were "Cabbaged" at the movies? smile

"Designing Woman" p/o TCM Classic: Lauren Bacall - Gregory Peck, Paula Gray - For those who like the Doris Day type of romantic comedies.

"Dark Passage" p/o TCM Classic Legends: Lauren Bacall w/ Humphrey Bogart - A true Film Noir done with some interesting experimental cinematography.

"Blood Alley" p/o TCM Classic Legends: Lauren Bacall w/ John Wayne - A drag and waste of time. Produced by Wayne who was an actor not a producer. He was doing this as part of his anti-Communist push and he hired Bacall who was wife to Bogart who led a contingent to Washington to speak out against McCarthy? Was Wayne bi-polar? Anita Ekberg gets a big intro credit spot and is hard to find in the actual movie.

"Key Largo" p/o TCM Classic Legends: Lauren Bacall w/ Humphrey Bogart, E G Robinson, Lionel Barrymore - Can't touch this classic with the right words of praise.

"Hollywoodland" - Adrian Brody, Ben Affleck, Bob Hoskins, Diane Lane, Kathleen Robertson - Just how did Superman die? Was he off-ed by a jilted lover, the lover's media mogul/mob husband, his cronies or was it the suicide of a man whose alcohol damaged brain couldn't handle rejection in his career field? Affleck looks so much like George Reeves at times it's uncanny.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Mar 23 2013 04:25 PM)
Edit Reason: typo of hie instead of his

#974082 - Sun Mar 24 2013 10:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
wwe84 Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Southn Highlands NSW Australia
I just watch It's A Good Day To Die Hard before i saw this movie i read & saw alot of bad reviews for this i came in to the cinema hoping that this was good and WOW was it ever i loved this movie it was really good

#974463 - Tue Mar 26 2013 07:58 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"A Letter to Three Wives" 1949. I think I must have seen this before, years ago - a local TV station always had an early afternoon movie that I'd watch when I was home from school. I used to love those "women's movies" from the forties and fifties they showed opposite the soaps on the other stations, and this is a fine example of the genre. Great writing, great performances, a little schmaltzy, but on the whole a lot of human insight.

#974499 - Wed Mar 27 2013 07:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

I really like that film. It's one that can take repeat viewings. It's got everything you need for a Sunday afternoon black&white.

#975654 - Tue Apr 02 2013 02:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
This weekend was productive.

Friday night, I was going to see "GI Joe: Retaliation", at 7:20, but it was only 3D. So we drove a ways to see it at 9:00 PM, so that was a late night... It was pretty good. I think it would have been better had I seen the first one. wink

Then, Sunday, I went and saw "The Croods" with my sister at 4:45. I liked it. Not a favorite, but it was cute.

Then, the same day, at 7:40, I saw "Admission". That was good, sweet, funny. I liked it.

Of the three, I liked GI Joe best. But I like action films, so...

BUSY weekend. :P

#976534 - Sat Apr 06 2013 06:20 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Unfaithfully Yours" (1948)

Well, this is really quite something. Rex Harrison and Linda Darnell in a Preston Sturges dark comedy. Terrible flop at the time, and one can see why, taking into account what audiences of the day expected from their romantic comedies, and also some bad timing in Harrison's personal life. Definitely worth watching now, though, if only for the contrast between the fantasy murder, and the way it plays out in real life.

#977926 - Fri Apr 12 2013 08:51 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Here's three weeks worth I haven't reported (tried going on strike for a raise. Today I realized this is a non-paying effort. Darn.) How'd that great Ebert guy get a start anyway?

Wonderland - Val Kilmer, Kate Bosworth, Lisa Kudrow, Josh Lucas, Dylan McDermott, Ted Levine
Rumours DVD - Fleetwood Mac's 'The making of Rumours' DVD video
Agent Cody Banks - Frankie Muniz, Hilary Duff, Keith David, Cynthia Stevenson Angie Harmon, Keith David, Ian McShane, and Arnold Vosloo
The Saint - Val Kilmer, Elisabeth Shue, Rade Serbedzija, Valery Nikolaev, Henry Goodman
Quills - Geoffrey Rush, Kate Winslet, Joaquin Phoenix, Michael Caine, Billie Whitelaw, Amelia Warner
Under Suspicion - Liam Nieson, Laura San Giacomo
Sliding Doors - Gwyneth Paltrow, John Hannah, John Lynch, Jeanne Tripplehorn, Zara Turner
Moving Violation [Double Feature w/ Fighting Mad] - Kay Lenz, Stephen McHattie, Eddie Albert, Will Geer
Fighting Mad (p/o Double Feature w/ Moving Violation) - Peter Fonda, Scott Glenn
Havoc - Anne Hathaway, Bijou Philips
Death on the Nile - Peter Ustinov, Betty Davis, David Niven, Mia Farrow, Olivia Hussey, Jack Warden, George Kennedy, Angela Landsbury
Abbott and Costello, The Best of, Vol 3 ...8 movies - Abbott and Costello
Starman - Jeff Bridges, Karen Allen
Killer Nun (Suor Omicidi/Deadly Habits) - Anita Ekberg, Paola Morra
Ben 10: Race Against Time - Graham Phillips, Haley Ramm, Lee Majors, Christien Anholt
His Girl Friday - Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell
Chaplin - Robert Downey, Jr., Dan Aykroyd, Geraldine Chaplin, Kevin Dunn, Anthony Hopkins
13 Going on 30 - Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo, Judy Greer, Andy Serkis, Kathy Baker
Bedlam (Dbl feature w/ Isle of the Dead) - Boris Karloff, Anna Lee
Isle of the Dead (Dble feature w/ Bedlam) - Boris Karloff, Ellen Drew, Marc Cramer

They were all worth the watch. The best were the A.Christie work and the Abbott and Costello octet. R.Downey Jr's Chaplin may be one of the best performances of the last few decades. If you like the Billy Jack movies, Moving Violation is along the same theme but with lots and lots of car chases and crashes. You'll need garters for Quills, it'll knock your socks off, it's so, so, so a different treatment of historical matters(?). It dovetails nicely with Bedlam.

Edited by mehaul (Fri Apr 12 2013 10:41 PM)

#977993 - Sat Apr 13 2013 08:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Sharing is its own reward. smile

I thought the same about Chaplin (and Downey) when it came out. Haven't seen it since then so it's interesting to see you say that.

Some catch up here too:

I watched 12 Angry Men (for the umpteenth time) the other night. It's very like watching a play in a theatre but that's its genius, I think. I love that film, can't fault it. Can't wait until I forget enough to watch it again. Great actors.

"Back to the Future" and "Back to the Future II"

So, so, so 80s. I can't wait until 2015 when we will all get those hover-cars.

#978269 - Sun Apr 14 2013 06:28 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

A bit of the "Chaplin" dialog would have gone right by me if not for learning about and reading Cockney Rhyme slang here at FT. Chaplin is buying his first shown love a meal at a cart vendor and he tells her that one day he'll have her in all sorts of jewels and he'll have his own whistle. She, Hetty Kelly, being Irish doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, says "What whistle?". And he replies, "You know whistle and flute, rhymes with suit."

#978285 - Sun Apr 14 2013 09:32 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Shadow of a Doubt" 1943

A Hitchcock I'd never seen before, never even heard of. You won't want to pay too much attention to the plot, because it barely makes any sense, but the great performances pretty much make up for that. Joseph Cotten is wonderfully creepy as bad old Uncle Charlie. It's hard to believe that Hume Cronyn was ever that young.

#978298 - Mon Apr 15 2013 12:27 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

From Hollywood's greatest year, 1939, "Gunga Din"
- Cary Grant, Victor McGlaglen, Doug Fairbanks Jr. and Sam Jaffe as Din
With hardly a line drawn from the Kipling poem, the film is still enjoyable immensely. Some of the battle scenes involved 1,500 extras who had to be bivouaced in the High Sierras of California. It's hard to believe that Cary Grant was ever that young (to echo Agony's notice on Cronyn).

The other notable Hollywood products of 1939 are:
"The Wizard of OZ"
"Gone with the Wind"
"Of Mice and Men"
"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"
"Ninotchka"
"Goodbye Mr. Chips"
"Stagecoach"
"The Women"
"Beau Geste"
For the rest of the impressive line-up see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1939_movies
Mickey Rooney had five films this year, "Babes in Arms", a Tom Sawyer tale and three Andy Hardy installments.

Page 10 of 22 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong