Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#956108 - Tue Dec 18 2012 07:05 AM Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie.
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
There are so many wonderful Christmas/Holiday movies. Every year, I break out my favorites and watch them no matter how many times I've seen them before. Here's my list of favorites, what are yours?

A Christmas Carol (with George C. Scott)
A Christmas Story
Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
The Family Stone
It's a Wonderful Life
Scrooged

#956122 - Tue Dec 18 2012 09:34 AM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: ClaraSue]
agony Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
The original 'Miracle on 34th Street'
The original 'Grinch'
'National Lampoon Christmas Vacation'
'The Bells of St Mary's' and 'Holiday Inn' - gotta have some Bing Crosby
and, yes, 'A Christmas Story'.

#956168 - Tue Dec 18 2012 02:00 PM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: agony]
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Definitely 'Scrooged' (Love Bill Murray!)
The original 'Grinch'
'A Christmas Story' (You'll shoot your eye out, kid!)
'Rudolph'

#956218 - Tue Dec 18 2012 06:02 PM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: SilverMoonsong]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I really did think the Jim Carrey Christmas Carol was good. I still love The Snowman

#956275 - Wed Dec 19 2012 12:47 AM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: ren33]
StarfishTwo Offline

Loc: East Tennessee USA      
Two of you already mentioned my favorite Christmas movie: Scrooged. (Must mean I've got good taste!) Not a movie, but I also love A Charlie Brown Christmas. I so identified with him as a kid, because I would have chosen the sad little tree, too.

#957046 - Sun Dec 23 2012 08:04 AM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: ren33]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Another "Scrooged" fan here! I always join in with the singing at the end, and leave feeling happy.

Originally Posted By: ren33
I really did think the Jim Carrey Christmas Carol was good. I still love The Snowman

That was a great version of The Christmas Carol, I agree. I think it's bound to be a classic over time.

The Snowman, of course, is the christmas film to beat all films. Did you know there's a sequel? The premiere is tomorrow night, Ch 4. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvand...your-heart.html

All hand drawn too. (It took 77 artists to do it.)

#957482 - Wed Dec 26 2012 10:38 AM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: Chavs]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
Bill Murray and Carrey? Ho hum (maybe it's because we're way over-exposed here lol).

Charlie Brown's Christmas is a classic.

George C Scott's version of Scrooge was okay enough that I've watched it through to the end on at least 6 occasions, but for me, Alistair Sim will always be the best one (something about how animated his face is at all times, but especially when he wakes up after his "dream"). I'm not saying there was anything wrong with his acting, but Scott was wooden by comparison

Have always liked the original Miracle on 34 Street (maybe because that's part of our address lol). I found Natalie Wood annoying in this one, but Edmund Gwenn (and his voice) MORE than make up for that, so yes, I watch it every year.

This is the first year I haven't watched "It's A Wonderful Life". I feel guilty for some reason.

"A Christmas Story" is a classic (to me anyway) because it's more or less the "era" I grew up in. Not sure younger audiences would feel the same way though lol. The scene where Ralphie's brother is like a turtle on his back in his snowsuit is EXACTLY how my mother dressed my sister (7 years younger than me). And no, I was never dumb enough to stick my tongue on a metal post, but it's still funny.

I watch "Harvey" every year at Christmas, even though it's really not an Xmas movie. And "The Bishop's Wife" (with Cary Grant, David Niven, Loretta Young) if it happens to be on.

As for much newer films, I love "Polar Express". "Nightmare Before Christmas" is quite fun if you're warped like me lol.

As for the husband, he likes "Christmas Vacation" (Chevy Chase). It was funny for me the first two times, but these days we're not in the same room when he watches it lol

Edited by Jakeroo (Wed Dec 26 2012 10:58 AM)

#957484 - Wed Dec 26 2012 10:58 AM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: Jakeroo]
thelancinator Offline
Participant

Loc: Colorado USA
The original Miracle on 34th Street is one of my all-time favorites and of course you cannot forget Die Hard (I watched it X-mas Eve) smile
I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly...stupid.
Jack Sparrow

#957486 - Wed Dec 26 2012 11:07 AM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: thelancinator]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
thelancinator: quite the contrast in genres - and perfect timing on the watching! You're quite right, there are lots of movies that weren't about Christmas per se, but were "set" at Christmas time. I don't think anyone who likes thriller/action movies can fault Die Hard on any count (and besides, one of my favourite actors is in it - Alan Rickman)
smile

#957513 - Wed Dec 26 2012 05:51 PM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: Jakeroo]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
This is the first year I haven't watched "It's A Wonderful Life". I feel guilty for some reason.

First year for me as well. I may just have to watch it tonight to make up for it.

I didn't even know there was a re-make of Miracle on 34th Street until a few days ago when I happened to catch it on TV. A "Kohl's" Santa Claus? It just didn't seem right. I wonder what was wrong with leaving it Macy's. After all Macy's is still around.

#957534 - Wed Dec 26 2012 10:03 PM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: ClaraSue]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
"Scrooge" a/k/a "A Christmas Carol" with Alistair Sim.
"Scrooge", the musical film with Albert Finney and Alec Guinness
"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"
"I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown"
"The Year Without a Santa Claus"
"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" with Boris Karloff

#958501 - Mon Dec 31 2012 07:17 PM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: gracious1]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
A Muppet Christmas Carol and Christmas Vacation are my favorites.

I've never seen A Christmas Story, but I'd always heard not to stick your tongue to metal when it was cold... so when I was about 7 I was sitting in the (metal) bus and licked the inside of the bus. Yup, it got stuck.

Editor for Television Category

#958669 - Tue Jan 01 2013 09:46 AM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: ladymacb29]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

grin ladymacb! I can't believe you've never seen A Christmas Story! I think you'd enjoy it.

#958816 - Wed Jan 02 2013 04:49 AM Re: Your Favorite Christmas/Holiday movie. [Re: ClaraSue]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
It's A Wonderful Life for me. I watch it every couple of months or so.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong