Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#956138 - Tue Dec 18 2012 11:54 AM Another Quick Category Question ;)
poshprice Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Glamorgan UK
Okay, well I am thinking about writing a quiz about the Welsh words that have infiltrated the English language in Wales. However I have no idea if this quiz belongs in World, under Languages, or in Humanities, under English's Varieties of English. Can anyone help? Oh, and while I'm asking questions, is it possible to alter the capitalisation of an Author Challenge Quiz? I only ask because only the first word of the title I've chosen has been capitalised.
tongue

#956139 - Tue Dec 18 2012 11:59 AM Re: Another Quick Category Question ;) [Re: poshprice]
looney_tunes Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
World or Humanities rather depends on the exact spin you use in framing your quiz. If you focus on the English words, and use their Welsh derivation as a linking theme and as part of the extra information, it will belong in Humanities. If the questions focus on the Welsh origins, so they are really questions about Welsh or require knowledge of Welsh in order to answer them, it will belong in World. If you submit it to either category, the editor who sees it can let you know if it needs modification to fit there, or advise that it be moved because it will fit more smoothly in another spot.

I cannot answer you a bout the Author Challenge quiz - I have always avoided confronting the issue by not taking titles whose capitalisation bothered me.

#956141 - Tue Dec 18 2012 12:05 PM Re: Another Quick Category Question ;) [Re: looney_tunes]
poshprice Offline
Forum Adept

Thank you laugh It sounds like it's going to be a World quiz then, as the words are pure Welsh, not English.

#956142 - Tue Dec 18 2012 12:05 PM Re: Another Quick Category Question ;) [Re: looney_tunes]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
is it possible to alter the capitalisation of an Author Challenge Quiz?

Yes.

#956144 - Tue Dec 18 2012 12:09 PM Re: Another Quick Category Question ;) [Re: kyleisalive]
poshprice Offline
Forum Adept

Excellent. Thanks you two smile

Moderator:  agony, gtho4