Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#956979 - Sat Dec 22 2012 08:20 PM My Camera
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
† Hong†Kong††††††
Here is a new area for people to discuss cameras, what they recommend, what they like , dislike etc. Hopefully it will help to centralize all the info we have posted here and be of use to those who want to buy a new one.
Dont forget to post all the details you can , even the price.
Go for it!

#957037 - Sun Dec 23 2012 06:27 AM Re: My Camera [Re: ren33]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
Mine is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 and several years old now but still working fine.

I had enrolled in a digital photography course some years ago, using my old camera, and the instructor on the course waxed lyrical about the Lumix range and almost everyone on the course ended up buying one, the exception being a man who had a brand new Nikon.

The Lumix has a Leica lens.

#957040 - Sun Dec 23 2012 07:22 AM Re: My Camera [Re: sue943]
ren33 Offline

† Hong†Kong††††††
This(about Lumix) was posted some months ago when Flopsy was going to the Olympics
Barbarini:Flopsy, I have a wonderful Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZR1 - 8 times zoom, great videos, excellent quality photos. I like it. I like it a lot. Got it a couple of years ago so not sure what they might cost now but probably outrageous in the UK.

#957042 - Sun Dec 23 2012 07:25 AM Re: My Camera [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

† Hong†Kong††††††
and this from ChristinaP
Flopsy, I also use a Pansonic Lumix - mine is the DMC - FZ7 - a few years old now but you can see the results I get on the Forums. Other than re-sizing for site rule nothing is touched up or altered in any way. Like Barbarini I like it a lot. good optical and digital zoom, which you can combine, and the automatic settings are good and there's a good range including a sports one.

I know there is a new one out not long ago which has had rave reviews and has been a Which Best Buy - I think around £300/£400.

#957058 - Sun Dec 23 2012 09:28 AM Re: My Camera [Re: ren33]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London†UK†††††††††††
Funny about that, my Olympus FE550 was used since November 2005, being a compact (the price won't matter now as out of date, but cost more than one a few times better today even in the sale) it was fine when conditions were, but couldn't cope with movement or poor light, and when it started corrupting the memory card it was time for a good one, which coincidentally (on the advice of my engineer friend) is a Panasonic Lumic DMC LZ20, bought the month they came out for £150, £40 under the Panasonic price. The semi-automatic focus is either erratic or needs better instructions, and when it's almost dark won't work at all, but otherwise performs although unless you use a tripod when it's not bright you need to know how to alter the exposure settings (which I don't yet) or it opens way too long. It also doesn't like auto-flash, far preferring to attempt a photo without it than allow itself the luxury of the artificial light while the Olympus simply flashed when needed unless you turned it off. But being way more complex once I learn the exposure preferences I'll overcome that, but the auto focus is out of my hands, literally.

UN IPCC

#957085 - Sun Dec 23 2012 12:18 PM Re: My Camera [Re: satguru]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
Mine wouldn't have been anything like that much Sara. Where I got mine from the latest one is Panasonic DMC-FZ48 Digital Camera at £299.99 including VAT which I wouldn't pay.

#957107 - Sun Dec 23 2012 03:18 PM Re: My Camera [Re: sue943]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
My camera is a few years old now. I have the Panasonic DMC-TZ5. It has 28mm wide angle lens, 10X optical zoom. If I use the 'Intelligent Scene Selector', it does a fine job. But there are times that I want to use my own settings and I just can't quite figure them out. I should take a digital photography course to try to do better on some of my images. It seems like most just don't have that "crisp" feel to them as much as I'd like. Plus, it's not that great a camera in getting close-up, zoomed in images. I'd like to be able to get some photos of insects, spiders, or maybe just flowers with good detail.

#957114 - Sun Dec 23 2012 03:41 PM Re: My Camera [Re: ClaraSue]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
ClaraSue, check your handbook. You need a Macro setting for those close ups. You should have one on the auto functions.

#957124 - Sun Dec 23 2012 03:53 PM Re: My Camera [Re: Christinap]
ertrum Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cary North†Carolina†USA††††††
Interesting that there are so many Panasonic users here.

Me, too - Mine's ClaraSue's camera's older cousin - the Lumix DMC-TZ1. I bought it at least five years ago. I like it a lot, and will keep using it till the screws fall out.

My likes:
nice long zoom and optical stabilization (Gotta have the stabilizer with the zoom)
"High sensitivity" mode for low light

My dislikes:
There's quite a bit of barrel distortion (straight lines tend to look like () instead of || ) at some settings.
It's old enough that it can't use SD cards larger than 2GB
It has a manual lens cap.

I've thought about replacing it, but all the newer cameras have way more bells 'n' whistles than I want. (And, besides, my fingers are used to this one.)

#957132 - Sun Dec 23 2012 05:22 PM Re: My Camera [Re: ertrum]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

I'm the same as you ertrum. I do think about changing mine every so often, but I like it, I know where everything is and I'm happy with the results I get. Come the day something goes wrong then I'll do something, but until then I'm happy. I'd never use half the stuff on a lot of the newer cameras anyway. I'm sticking with if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I don't know about other Countries but here the Panasonic cameras regularly get Which (which is the magazine produced by the Consumers Association) best buy award. They test extensively and the best buy is based on the actual photographic results, reliability and price. They do look at the bells and whistles and tell you which ones you really don't need and which ones you should have. I don't know if other countries have something similar to Which or not though.

#957172 - Mon Dec 24 2012 12:17 AM Re: My Camera [Re: sue943]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I had a Panasonic camera a while ago and was more than happy with the photos - it took great ones. I was less than impressed with the service of Panasonic though and will never buy another one because of it. mad I told them that I would take every opportunity to tell people what I thought of them ... and I have wink

My camera now is the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V (http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/sony_cybershot_dsc_hx200v_review/) which I chose mostly because it has such a high zoom.
My old camera was a an Olympus something or other with as much zoom as you could get at the time. It did have great quality shots and was easy to use. It was getting dodgy to connect it to the computer and the flash died on it so was time to get a new one. I had it for years and years, taken a bazillion photos with it and hadn't treated it too nicely in the later years so I was more than happy with it's durability.

The new camera is lovely. There are lots of manual features on it but I tend to stick to automatic. I really don't know my appertures from my ... elbow.

The Olympus didn't take great flash photos but the Sony does. I am amazed at how much better they are actually.

The Sony will take ten consecutive shots but the Olypmus took heaps .. thirty odd maybe which was great for action situations like my son on his bike or animals on the run. I do miss that it doesn't take as many.

The Sony has panoramic photos which I don't think I'll use all that often but it's cool to have lol. And face detection too which is boggles my mind .. how does it know??

There's my pros and cons but overall I do love the new camera. laugh

#957542 - Wed Dec 26 2012 11:14 PM Re: My Camera [Re: Copago]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
W00t! Santa put a new compact in my stocking. No, I'm not the sort to "powder my nose" lol. As soon as I figure out what all the dang buttons are for, will post a review.

#958107 - Sat Dec 29 2012 07:14 PM Re: My Camera [Re: Jakeroo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

What a nice Santa he was. Look forward to the review (and seeing some of the results from it)

#979122 - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:00 PM Re: My Camera [Re: ren33]
Jar Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Texas USA
I now have my husband's Canon EOA 5D Mark II along with a ton of accessories, lenses, etc. It is so complicated, don't know if I will ever learn 1/10th of it. Just give me a camera I can point and click. My phone would probably be my speed, but then there's the catch of getting the photos off the camera. wink

here

And guess I'll need to see if my old Photobucket account still works. Oh wait! I belong to drop box. That should do it.

Anyway, hope to post some photos again in the near future.

Edited by Jar (Thu Apr 18 2013 01:02 PM)

#994225 - Wed Jul 03 2013 04:53 AM Re: My Camera [Re: ren33]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Loc: Rothwell Northants England†UK†
I have two cameras, a digital and a 'real' one. The digital is a Fuji Finepix S16. AS with most digitals it has numerous settings including video with sound. The memory card I have (8Gb) gives 45 minutes of video or up to 12000 still images. My 'real' camera is an Olympus MZM 35mm with two zoom lenses, a 35-70 and a 75-300. I use the Fuji the most but I use the Pentax if I have longer to take the shot and want total control as well as for high speed pics. Digitals aren't good at action shots unless you spend a lot of money. The S16 is my third Fuji and I find them to be very good cameras for the price and they take excellent pictures.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#994226 - Wed Jul 03 2013 05:28 AM Re: My Camera [Re: ren33]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Can you still access film and processing easily for your "real" camera. We seem to have a problem with that round here now.

#994256 - Wed Jul 03 2013 09:06 AM Re: My Camera [Re: ren33]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Loc: Rothwell Northants England†UK†
Boots still do processing as far as I know. Otherwise there are online places.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

Moderator:  Copago, LeoDaVinci, ren33