Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#950846 - Thu Nov 22 2012 02:28 AM The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
My son is doing a book study on the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and next week we're having a couple of his classmates come over for a few days and we're going to be doing lots of activities to do with the book.

We have turned the school room into Narnia (photo here ... http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab261/copagostation/DSC00322800x600.jpg) with a row of coats, a couple of Christmas trees, a lamp-post and cardboard lion and beaver. I am dead impressed with myself wink

It's sort of the last week of proper school work for the year (yay!) so I'm going to be keeping it really light .. have a quiz, act out a scene, make Turkish Delight (natch), watch the movie, do a 3D map of Narnia. Was going to do a couple of 'educational' things like talking about the kids being evacuated from London and maybe they can do an activity about what their own personal Narnia could be like. I hope it's going to be fun for them (and me!).

Can you think of anything else? I admit I haven't read the book for many many years so am kind of winging it so far! Just wondering if I'm missing anything obvious :p

#950882 - Thu Nov 22 2012 06:08 AM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: Copago]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Can I come too, Jill???

Haha love the peek through the 'fur coats' into the land beyond! All you need now is wardrobe outside the door with the back cut out of it and a heap of fake snow grin

I love that series of books, and first read it to my eldest two when they were about 5 years old. Aidan has grown up with it ...

Everything you are suggesting to do sound really brilliant!!! (I had a disastrous attempt to make turkish delight once ... the kids were soooo disappointed as they had imagined it to be such a wonderful treat and in the end it was a tasteless gooey lump ...

You are going to have such a fun time (and I'd so looooove to join in)...

Edited by Santana2002 (Thu Nov 22 2012 06:09 AM)

#950883 - Thu Nov 22 2012 06:10 AM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: Santana2002]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Just thought ... you could have hubby dress up as father christmas and hand out the gifts (a phial of potion, a bow and arrow, a sword ...)

#950884 - Thu Nov 22 2012 06:11 AM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: Copago]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Jill you are such a born teech!!
Superb ideas. It is hard to top them. It all sounds like such fun. I will have a think, but I think you definitely have it covered!

#950885 - Thu Nov 22 2012 06:15 AM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I did find a wordsearch... narnia words
and a couple of ideas(not original)
design a travel machine that could take you to a place like Narnia, describe the place and write a story to go along with the machine.
--design a banner/flag of Narnia, highlight characters, places, and events from the story.
I really think you have it nailed. Do you have a camcorder?
They could produce a short film.

Edited by ren33 (Thu Nov 22 2012 06:21 AM)

#950920 - Thu Nov 22 2012 10:18 AM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
The only thing I can think of is for the kids to play hide and seek.

#950994 - Thu Nov 22 2012 04:38 PM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: agony]
Copago Offline

Hide and seek is perfect, thanks Agony .. honestly the less school like the better!

Yes to the camcorder, Ren, and they can do the play on it.

And I have some shop bought Turkish Delight in case the home made stuff doesn't work out wink

I thought of a million different ways I could make a wardrobe for them to walk through but it was just too hard or too expensive. The doors to the school room are french doors with glass that go in so we made a cardboard wardrobe door to go over the top of the doorway. I would have loved to have a proper one. hehe

#951000 - Thu Nov 22 2012 05:17 PM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: Copago]
rossian Offline
Prolific

Loc: Merseyside UK 
It looks great. Disappointed not to see a real lion, though.......

#951124 - Fri Nov 23 2012 07:13 AM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: rossian]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Copago, that's fab. I think your pupils are very lucky.

The only thing I could think of was an art activity for them -- you could make Narnia scenes in snowglobes. If you haven't tried before, google "how to make a snow globe" and read several of the results because there are different tips to be found, including using baby oil instead of glycerin, which I wish I'd thought of when I once made one with my daughter. Maybe it's a bit too last minute a suggestion, though, as it requires figurines etc. Paper snowflakes, where you fold the paper and cut intricate patterns, are remarkably satisfying to do too, I find; and it would open up the discussion into a bit of science (states of water, ice molecule structure something or other -- if you don't mind I might ask for your spark notes if you teach that lesson, lol.)

I don't know if you have younger children to teach too but I've made great use of this site when trying to keep nephews/nieces occupied: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/narnia.htm - (they might be the same word searches as Ren's).

You probably already know the site, but if not it is worth exploring as it has a wide selection of activities/inspiriations, ooh I just found these outline maps, for instance. http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/outline_maps.htm
And look, printable frames - picture frame & stamp - http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/royal_frame_printables.htm - they could design a stamp ... think I'll print that out for my niece. It's the site that keeps on giving.

#952541 - Thu Nov 29 2012 05:18 PM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: Chavs]
Copago Offline

Thanks Chavs - I missed your post before.
I had come across that site and used it for shields and for making a castle.

It all went pretty well I think. There was a bit of a heatwave this week so the other family didn't come but my son and his mate seemed to have fun. We just did activities in the morning and veged out for the afternoon. Could watch the movies and things like that.
I think the quiz went over the best .. really hammed it up like a tv show .. good fun smile

#952743 - Fri Nov 30 2012 12:26 PM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: Copago]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Glad to hear it all went off a treat and that they got into the spirit of things!

#958079 - Sat Dec 29 2012 04:16 PM Re: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe [Re: Santana2002]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
I wish that I had been there. I always wanted to be Lucy, but am more suited to the Snow Queen now. I found the boxed set of all seven Narnia books in a local discount book shop in the summer and have read it through twice, so far.

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom