Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#958437 - Mon Dec 31 2012 12:45 PM Sky question - UK
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel†Islands††††††††
I know that some of you will have the answer to this.

I currently have Sky digital and I am wondering about Sky Plus. I appreciate that one would need a new box but are the monthly charges different to normal Sky?

#958452 - Mon Dec 31 2012 02:28 PM Re: Sky question - UK [Re: sue943]
glendathecat Offline
Explorer

Loc: Kent UK
You can rely on Sky to never make it easy to find the cost of packages online. Try here:
http://www.sky.com/shop/customer-shop/box-upgrade/

I don't think there's any ongoing cost so the only cost should be the box (unless you can wangle a free one - always worth giving them a ring and haggling) and set up.

#958472 - Mon Dec 31 2012 05:01 PM Re: Sky question - UK [Re: glendathecat]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

There was one advertised in our local paper for £25 secondhand which got me wondering if you could just swap the boxes or whether it was a different subscription.

#958474 - Mon Dec 31 2012 05:04 PM Re: Sky question - UK [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

I wouldn't want HD, my telly is ancient and when it gets replaced it would only be with a basic telly.

#958798 - Wed Jan 02 2013 02:31 AM Re: Sky question - UK [Re: sue943]
tellywellies Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: South of England
Originally Posted By: sue943
There was one advertised in our local paper for £25 secondhand which got me wondering if you could just swap the boxes or whether it was a different subscription.

I'm fairly sure it wouldn't mean a different subscription. Sky Plus doesn't involve extra channels (as far as I know), so I think all you'll need is the box. Just swap it with the one you have.

The old TV still going eh? smile Well, when it does go wrong, you might be pleased with the newer ones that have the wide-screen format. This does enhance viewing pleasure in my opinion. The prices of 'HD Ready' TVs are coming down a lot. I think people are beginning to discern between 'Full HD' and 'HD ready' these days. It's full HD that is preferable, hence some good deals on HD Ready TV sets now.

If you are not worried about HD, then an HD Ready TV is perfectly OK. There isn't a choice to have a new TV without some HD capability. HD Ready is all that I have at present. Couple it to an HD capable box via an HDMI cable and it will give a picture that has very good definition on the channels that transmit programmes in HD.

Perhaps the Sky box in question wouldn't be an HD capable one.

#958818 - Wed Jan 02 2013 04:58 AM Re: Sky question - UK [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Thanks Martin.

My old telly is still going strong so will remain until it conks out. smile I changed my settings to wide screen as I was losing the left panel on QVC and that would never do. smile My digital Sky box is getting quite old but at the moment is still working fine, it is about fifteen years old now and never has never gone wrong - touch wood. smile

I did have a new dish just over a year ago when they came from the digital help scheme, they replaced the old one during that so I am good for a number of years.

#959197 - Fri Jan 04 2013 03:30 AM Re: Sky question - UK [Re: sue943]
romeomikegolf Offline

Administrator

Loc: Rothwell Northants England†UK†
Sue, Sky Plus is the same price as normal Sky, there used to be an additional monthly fee but they scrapped that years ago. Don't let them sell you HD. It's the same box but does have an additional charge. Yes, you'll need a new box and a new bit (LNB) on the end of the dish unless you are using more than one box ie multiroom. There may be an installation fee but it's a one off, check before you order.

Would the last person to leave the planet please turn off the lights.

#960281 - Thu Jan 10 2013 11:47 AM Re: Sky question - UK [Re: sue943]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Thanks, so the box on its own wouldn't be any use then?

Moderator:  ladymacb29