Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 10 of 17 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#969222 - Tue Feb 26 2013 09:33 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Dagny1 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Alabama USA
I'm just beginning "Glimpses of an Unfamiliar Japan, First Series" by Lafcadio Hearn.

Hearn's father was Irish and his mother Greek. He came to the United States and eventually settled in New Orleans where he lived for years. In 1890, while working as a newspaper correspondent, Hearn visited Japan. He so loved the country that he resigned his job to remain in Japan. Hearn became a naturalized citizen of Japan and married a Japanese woman.

Glimpses is non-fiction, the story of his first days in Japan. Thus far it is charming. One example is that he begrudged himself the time to eat because he was so anxious to visit a Buddist temple.

Free at Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/8130

#969224 - Tue Feb 26 2013 10:04 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
That sounds lovely! Thanks
(reminds me of a friend who loved Japan so much that she went to live ther. When I asked her how she was getting on she said "Oh , just wonderful, I even bow when I am on the telephone!")

#969920 - Sat Mar 02 2013 11:09 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
The latest Sue Grafton - V is for Vengeance. Pretty good - it's not as much fun as the first few, but a great story, and some interesting characters. I like the change in viewpoint throughout the story - shakes things up a bit.

#970255 - Mon Mar 04 2013 09:23 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
Life of Pi - saw the movie and now I'm starting the book.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#970314 - Mon Mar 04 2013 03:46 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
papo2228 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
I'm reading Battle Cry by Leon Uris. It's quite interesting/ It's about a group of young people who have enlisted the Marine Corps and are fighting the Japanese in WW II.

#970347 - Mon Mar 04 2013 08:03 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: papo2228]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Originally Posted By: papo2228
I'm reading Battle Cry by Leon Uris. It's quite interesting/ It's about a group of young people who have enlisted the Marine Corps and are fighting the Japanese in WW II.

A terrific book. I have read it several times.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#971054 - Fri Mar 08 2013 09:36 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ozzz2002]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

LOVING Life of Pi. I thought the movie was good but there is so much more in the book!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#971119 - Fri Mar 08 2013 06:04 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
Currently in the middle of "Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. Fantastic book. If you have any interest in space, the cosmos, or space exploration, definitely check it out. Tyson is one of my favorite people to listen to speak, he's so passionate about his profession (an astrophysicist) that it is infectious. I'm terrible at science and don't have much of an interest in it, but he makes me want to learn more.

The book is enlightening, informative, sometimes humorous and sometimes incredulous.

#973419 - Thu Mar 21 2013 09:57 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Black Maria" by Diana Wynne Jones.

I edited a quiz on this children's book, and got it from the library because it sounded so much the kind of thing I would have loved to read when I was eleven. It's excellent - full of magic and mystery and humour, and really quite a lot of sharp-eyed insight into human behaviour. If you have an intelligent pre-teen or young teen at home who likes to read, I'd recommend this whole-heartedly.

#974188 - Mon Mar 25 2013 03:28 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
papo2228 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
I'm reading Glenn Meade's novel Brandenburg. It's interesting about Nazi plots in Paraguay. It gets more and more attractive with every page you turn. Very good dose of suspense.

#975517 - Mon Apr 01 2013 01:29 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
Just finished 'Life after Life' by Kate Atkinson. A break from her Jackson Brodie novels, it tells the story of a baby who is born in a snowstorm in 1910, and lives her life over and over again. Sounds complicated, but totally compulsive, and highly recommended.

I haven't been here for AGES and have so many to share with you, but I shall do one at time!

#975552 - Mon Apr 01 2013 07:01 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
Oh welcome back, Maggie. I look forward to the others!

#975553 - Mon Apr 01 2013 07:04 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
paul4760 Offline
Participant

Loc: Iowa USA
"Duma Key", by Stephen King...creepy! "The Civil War", by Shelby Foote...tragic, fascinating! "Mr. Midshipman Hornblower", by C.S. Forester...salty!(And veddy British).

#975770 - Wed Apr 03 2013 06:15 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

This from a while ago - 'Perfect People' by Peter James. This is a stand alone story,not part of his Roy Grace detective novels. It tells of a couple who lose a child to a genetic disorder, and turn to a geneticist to have another child who will be free from the disease which caused them so much heartache. It's compulsively readable and extremely scary - more so because the science involved is not too far from reality. I've passed this one on to several people who've all enjoyed it as much as I did. Another highly recommended read!

#976298 - Fri Apr 05 2013 11:33 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Today's offering is 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' by Rachel Joyce. Nominated for the Man Booker prize in 2012, it tells the story of Harold Fry, a newly retired and unhappily married man, who goes out to post a letter one day and decides to keep on walking to deliver it in person to his dying friend at the other end of the country. I loved this book. The characters are memorable, and Harold's adventures are amusing and moving in turns. I started reading this book one night, fell asleep over it, and stayed in bed next day until I'd finished it. Luckily it was a weekend so they didn't miss me in work. I passed this on to my book reading circle and haven't seen it since. Wonderful wonderful book!

#976862 - Mon Apr 08 2013 10:47 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

In the midst of rereading "Cat's Eye" by Margaret Atwood. This is an older book - 1988 - but one of my favourites of hers. Anyone who was ever a little girl will remember the importance of power, loyalty, betrayal, the sometimes very sudden shifts in status.... And those of us who were little girls in the forties and fifties, before modern feminism, will remember how so much of our time was spent in learning how to be (or resisting learning!) those mysterious things called women. She hits so much of it exactly - I can smell wet wool when reading this book.

#977175 - Tue Apr 09 2013 03:56 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
I've started "Bring Up the Bodies" by Hillary Mantel. It's a Tudor-era novel which I usually like but I'm having a hard time getting into it. It's a bit dull so far, and instead of a first-person narrative, it's all third person - which is totally fine, I usually like that, but she uses "he" and "him" instead of names so I've found myself having to stop often and try to work out who she's now talking about...

#978493 - Mon Apr 15 2013 06:45 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: guitargoddess]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. The show is very gory but my husband convinced me to give the books a try.

#979484 - Sat Apr 20 2013 05:48 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I love, love, love the Game of Thrones series of books
(but haven't been able to take to the TV series at all!).

#980925 - Fri Apr 26 2013 07:38 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

Yes, I'm enjoying that series, too, though slowly. My son started reading them about ten years ago and talked me into it.

Just finished "Use of Weapons" by Iain M Banks. The book is a series of vignettes, half of them going forward in time, half backward. Fairly light on plot, but pretty good science fiction - some good concepts, well realized universe. Where it really shines is in the vignettes - they are almost all incredibly entertaining in their own way. Even before I figured out what was going on with the book's structure, and was floundering around wondering what the heck was going on, I was having a wonderful time in the moment. He's got a fabulous way with words. This was another recommendation from my son - he reads mostly sf and fantasy and pesters me to read the ones he thinks I'd like.

Also rereading Donald E Westlake's Dortmunder series just because it is so much fun.

#981043 - Fri Apr 26 2013 03:56 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Hong Kong      
'Pesters' Agony? How old is he. Because I think any young person who reads and encourages others to read nowadays is a true 'treasure trove' of a find!

#981049 - Fri Apr 26 2013 04:32 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

He's 23, but he's always been like this! He's always getting his buddies to read things, too - I gave him a good grounding in classic sf, and now he's turning them on to it.

#981599 - Tue Apr 30 2013 02:23 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
I'm having a second crack at "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell. My first attempt came to a grinding halt as I struggled with the style of the first narrator but I feel more ready for it now.

#981700 - Tue Apr 30 2013 05:05 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I am reading the short story collection, Octopussy and The [sic] Living Daylights. They were among the last Bond stories that Ian Fleming wrote. I am not a fan of his, but I acquired the book while doing research and I have to say I am pleased by the discovery!

I am also starting to read the last Agatha Christie's last novela with Hercule Poirot, Curtain.

***SPOILER ALERT*** STOP READING NOW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE NOVEL***

I have put off reading Curtain up to now because I am aware that Poirot dies in the end, and the thought has always depressed me. In my mind he will live forever, and be bodily assumed into Heaven like the prophet Ezekiel. ;-) Heh, maybe I should write a short story in which that happens.

#982288 - Sat May 04 2013 01:06 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
remote9 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Kolkata India
You are right about Curtain, gracious1 cry

I have just finished "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" and will soon start reading "Heroes of Olympus". Oh, here's my friend with "The Lost hero"...Bye.

Page 10 of 17 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom