Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#96004 - Sat Mar 11 2000 07:13 PM Useful Fact: Kilts
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
WHY DO SCOTSMEN WEAR KILTS?

If you've ever looked at ancient Egyptian carvings, you'll notice that the Egyptian's wore something akin to a kilt. Steve Martin even wore one as King Tut. The kilt is an adaptation of the oldest form of clothing known to man.

The reason Scotsmen still wear the kilt is because it is a source of pride. The kilt displays a Scotsman's tartan, the color of his clan. Because of the Dress Act of 1746, Scots were banned from wearing kilts or tartans and thus it became a matter of pride to wear them.

#96005 - Sat Mar 11 2000 11:22 PM Re: Useful Fact: Kilts
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
So true JoJo, we have our family color(s). Also our crest(s). My husband I both come from Scottish decent. So it is very interesting when it comes to who will wear who's and when. He always expects me to wear his..But...You know me....

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

[This message has been edited by sandalwood (edited 03-11-2000).]

#96006 - Sun Mar 12 2000 10:27 AM Re: Useful Fact: Kilts
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I didn't know that Sandalwood. What else can you tell us about family colors and such. I find this tradition fascinating.

#96007 - Sun Mar 12 2000 11:34 AM Re: Useful Fact: Kilts
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
I don't know a whole lot Jo..I do know that the family colors were used to indentify the same clans. There was much rivalry at the time the kings ruled. Most lands if not all were granted into the care of certain knights for their services to the king. Women of other clans were taken by force often to gain land. I do know that in old Scotland the area were divided by the clan names. There were two areas which my family lived. Stuart and Gordon...Lockheart was my husbands. I would and should study more. When my mother passed on I was given the family crest. I wear it when I go to Scottish festivals. It is fun and exciting to meet other clan members.

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

#96008 - Sun Mar 12 2000 11:35 AM Re: Useful Fact: Kilts
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Well I guess that someone will say the obvious so it might as well be me.

Traditionally men wear nothing under their kilt, just a bare bottom as nature intended ..... and it can get a bit cold in Scotland

------------------
From over the pond....

#96009 - Sun Mar 12 2000 03:10 PM Re: Useful Fact: Kilts
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Sandalwood I like that is so cool to carry on the family name (clan). I also feel that is so important for the sake of history. Thank you for educating me further on the subject.

Sue, I might be the only person who didn't know that men men wear nothing under their kilt. As funny as it sounds it is still imformative. Thank you.

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong