Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 62 of 92 < 1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 91 92 >
Topic Options
#960517 - Fri Jan 11 2013 07:46 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
guitargoddess Online   FT-cool

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Wasn't the challenge randomizer thingy set up so that if you accessed your challenges from a mobile device, then it wouldn't give you challenges that couldn't be completed on such?

I'm on my iPhone and went to my daily challenges, first time I loaded the challenges page today. My Easy challenge was to play the New Question Game and rate the questions. I thought , ok I can do this one now on my phone since I don't care about being speedy. But when I finished answering and submitted, the next page told me "since you're on a mobile device, rating questions has been disabled".

Is there a way that particular challenge can be excluded if using a mobile device? It's not like the NQG is one I can replay when I get home and am on my laptop.

Edited by guitargoddess (Fri Jan 11 2013 07:47 AM)

#960518 - Fri Jan 11 2013 08:16 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Terry will need to mark this one as mobile-incompatible (so far, only the ones using Flash were marked)

#960564 - Fri Jan 11 2013 03:45 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Thx for the note guitar, I have removed that one from mobile rotation.

#960578 - Fri Jan 11 2013 07:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
Does anyone know if the Expert Mulligan perk works in conjunction with the Challenge of playing 4 games of Who's the Expert against another player? I.e. if I use the mulligan to replace my original score, will it also replace it in the challenge?

If it does, I might want to use it to improve my chances of winning the Challenge. But if it only changes it in the actual game, then I would save it for a topic where I might have a chance of winning with a second try.

#960579 - Fri Jan 11 2013 07:17 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
No, it acts as an additional score in the Daily Challenge. It's only a mulligan in the Expert game, not DCs. You have to be careful and plan when you want to use it.

#960593 - Fri Jan 11 2013 08:47 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

The mulligan does not erase your score, but it does give you a second chance to play the respective topic. So if you have just played your best topic but completely blew it because you ran low of caffeine or the cat crossed your keyboard, you can of course use it to get a second attempt, but it will count as one of the four tries, so it's not wise to use it on a "could do well but might also be an pic fail" topic if you have something better coming up.

#960597 - Fri Jan 11 2013 09:03 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
shorthumbz Offline
Participant

Loc: Ohio USA
Yep; I learned that one the hard way...........

#960605 - Fri Jan 11 2013 10:34 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Play the Easy Game and score 10/10 within 22.0 seconds.

In these Easy game challenges, your past scores before going to the page don't count. I had several games faster, but it they weren't counted. I just had a 985 last hour. Not counted. This has happened before. It's clearly a bug with PoC.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#960622 - Sat Jan 12 2013 03:38 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
froggyx Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
Can anybody tell me please, if I have been given the difficult 'I'm the Expert' challenge, and the other person does not play any Expert games that day, will I automatically be the winner or will we both lose this challenge?
I remember that this happened to me once before and we both lost the challenge, which I found a bit unfair to be honest (but as it was at the beginning when the Daily Challenges only just started, I hoped it may be just a bug).
It's just that I've been assigned to a member who only registered yesterday, so I'm a bit worried that they might not play today (impatient me lol).

#960628 - Sat Jan 12 2013 05:22 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: cubswin2323]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: cubswin2323
It's clearly a bug with PoC.

Not if it's intended.

Originally Posted By: froggyx
Can anybody tell me please, if I have been given the difficult 'I'm the Expert' challenge, and the other person does not play any Expert games that day, will I automatically be the winner or will we both lose this challenge?
I remember that this happened to me once before and we both lost the challenge, which I found a bit unfair to be honest (but as it was at the beginning when the Daily Challenges only just started, I hoped it may be just a bug).
It's just that I've been assigned to a member who only registered yesterday, so I'm a bit worried that they might not play today (impatient me lol).

I would definitely think that you should win. If someone no-shows in knockout then the other person wins, so if someone doesn't play in a challenge then the other person should win. Are you completely sure that it did happen last time? It might have been a bug.

You might have been assigned to someone who joined yesterday, but they had to go to the challenge page to receive the challenge so they should be as likely as anyone else to play Expert as anyone else... assuming that there is a link from the challenge (which I think there is).

EDIT: Terry, it's just a minor thing, but in the FAQ under the main heading "Partner Challenges: Twin, Nemesis and Expert", the first sub-heading is "What kind of devilry have you cooked up with these two challenges?", when it should say three.

Edited by AdamM7 (Sat Jan 12 2013 05:27 AM)

~(_8(I)

#960629 - Sat Jan 12 2013 05:31 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
froggyx Offline
Explorer

Thanks Adam, I would've thought so too.

But yes, I'm 100% sure this happened to me before. I logged on first thing in the morning (shortly before midnight Funtrivia Time) and the other person hadn't played an Expert Game at all and it showed me as the current leader, but after the challenges reset I checked 'Yesterday's Results' and it showed 'Incomplete'. Needless to say, I was gutted :-(

Edited by froggyx (Sat Jan 12 2013 05:34 AM)

#960633 - Sat Jan 12 2013 06:23 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: AdamM7]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Originally Posted By: AdamM7
EDIT: Terry, it's just a minor thing, but in the FAQ under the main heading "Partner Challenges: Twin, Nemesis and Expert", the first sub-heading is "What kind of devilry have you cooked up with these two challenges?", when it should say three.

Huh? It clearly says "three" there. whistles innocently, quickly closing edit window before someone notices... smile smile smile

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Sat Jan 12 2013 06:24 AM)

#960658 - Sat Jan 12 2013 10:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
The "I'm the Expert" thing happened to me. Someone didn't play, but I did, and I won the challenge.

#960707 - Sat Jan 12 2013 12:38 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
froggyx Offline
Explorer

Oh that's good news then, Buddy.
Thanks for letting me know, because the other person still hasn't played yet.

#960734 - Sat Jan 12 2013 03:35 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
One reason they may not play is because they know they have no way of beating the other person. That was the reason I didn't play one time, making my opponent the automatic winner.

#960873 - Sun Jan 13 2013 09:28 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
George95 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ontario Canada
Never mind, solved my own problem wink

Edited by George95 (Sun Jan 13 2013 09:29 AM)

#961568 - Thu Jan 17 2013 08:13 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
themonarch Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Southeastern Connecticut USA
It appears that ponycargirl is the first one to become Totally Epic having all 8 epic flags but she doesn't have the badge for doing so. I don't know if this is awarded immediately upon completion or one of those badges that are awarded at various times of the day I figure I'd report it in case it was the first one.

#961575 - Thu Jan 17 2013 09:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Nice job, ponycargirl! I've been watching the three with 7 for a while, but just woke up... So I hadn't seen it yet. smile

I know you were trying, monarch, you must be upset. wink

#961584 - Thu Jan 17 2013 10:15 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
themonarch Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Southeastern Connecticut USA
I was very surprised, I thought rossian and I were the only other ones with 7 different epics. I've been buying a challenge close to everyday and I've been getting epics about every 10 days or so I haven't seen one in a about a month. At this point I'm more likely going to buy a double or even triple flag.

#961587 - Thu Jan 17 2013 10:39 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Still, you have more than anybody, in total, so that's impressive. wink

And yes, ponycargirl snuck up on me, too. I knew of you and rossian, but then rossian pointed out ponycargirl was close too. A very impressive achievement for whoever achieves it this early!

#961595 - Thu Jan 17 2013 11:12 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

And I would like to suggest a reason for the badge not appearing, suggested by pony herself.

She has one epic with two flags.

Is the algorithm only set to award the badge for winning ONE flag badge for each epic? She has two white, so, technically, she no longer has the one flag white badge, and no longer "qualifies" for the 8 epic flag badge. However, she has surpassed the qualifications for the badge, so she should have it earned.

If this is the case, the 2 and 3 flags need to be added in the algorithm for the badge to award (now that the extra flags are not secret).

Hopefully this can be done without confusing the system and awarding the badges when all 2 flags are won and 3?

smile

#961606 - Thu Jan 17 2013 11:41 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
OR...

Terry hasn't added the badge-awarding code yet. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. whistle

#961607 - Thu Jan 17 2013 11:45 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Nah, I think it's what I said. :P

#961620 - Thu Jan 17 2013 01:44 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Yeah can't remember if I activated that one or not -- will go check.

I still can't get over the fact that Wesley hasn't had a single epic yet!

#961623 - Thu Jan 17 2013 01:52 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Terry, maybe you could slightly change the random code for the buy selection to avoid extremely long stretches of no epics and also make directly adjacent ones less common:

My idea would be to use a random from 1 to 200 and then add to that the number of buys without getting an epic. Then set the thresholds appropriately - let's say 1-65 for Easy, 66 to 130 for Medium, 131 to 195 for Difficult and 196+ for Epic.

A player who has just played an epic would then only have a 2.5% chance to get another one right away, but one who had 40 whiffs in a row would have 22.5%.

(Numbers are of course purely examples - the key point is that your chance starts very low and then goes up. Limits variance which can be rather frustrating on both ends - players neither want 3 Epics in a run for the "10 per day" nor none for 50+ tries)

The numbers I have above would by the way result in the following probabilities:

1-5 buys between Epics: 16.3%
6-10: 22.3%
11-15: 22.0%
16-20: 17.4%
21-25: 11.3%
26-30: 6.2%
31-40: 4.0%
41+: 0.5%

Edited by WesleyCrusher (Thu Jan 17 2013 02:00 PM)

Page 62 of 92 < 1 2 ... 60 61 62 63 64 ... 91 92 >

Moderator:  Terry