Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 6 of 22 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#957051 - Sun Dec 23 2012 08:26 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
"The Postman", one of Kevin Costner's post apocalyptic/dystopian self produced/directed/lead efforts. I think this may be one of his better ones since he emphasizes the minor characters a little more than in his other works. I was distraught when the credits didn't reveal the narrator/Hope Postman's identity. There was a good cameo performance from Peggy Lipton of "Mod Squad" fame. Giovani Rebisi is excellent portraying his obnoxious character. Horseman work played a big part in the successful presentation. The scenery of Northern Arizona through Southern Washington and Oregon is breathtaking at times (just remember that there was a lot of digital sky manipulation done.)
A propos to recent discussions about mass shootings is the segment of the movie where the Postman and Abby arrive at Bridge City and the Mayor, Tom Petty, tells them that Bridge City is a gun free city. Good idea but would have fallen prey to Bethlehem (Will Patton's evil General)'s artillery and superior fire power. No, a post WW3 world would need a well armed militia, IMHO.

Edit to add:
"The Man with the Golden Arm" dir: Otto Preminger, with Frank Sinatra, Eleanor Parker, Kim Novak, Arnold Stang and Darren McGavin. Remember Arnold Stang of the unusual face who did Chunky candy bar commercials and was the original voice of the Honey-nut Cheerios Bee? Sorry for the divert. This film starts as looking like an Alcoa (another Stang backed product) Theater TV presentation in the way the sets are lit and the scenery of Chicago is noticably a stage set. Once the acting of the cast begins in earnest you quickly dismiss those failings. The story rolls on with will he or won't he (Sinatra) do heroin)? Will he screw up his drumming audition? Will he catch his faking wife in her deceptions? Will he go back to dealing cards in back room poker games? Will life drag him back to being the jigsaw puzzle piece it has decided he should be? Can he kick the habits that have built to the climax? Tune in next week when Victor Borge hosts our cavalcade of European Stars in the next Alcoa Presents! Really, this film was a barrier breaker that even went to the courts to allow having it shown in theaters because of the drug use depicted! The Board of Standards had no qualms about the violence in refusing to accredit the film, just the drugs! The animated lead credits tableaux became a Preminger hallmark. Finally, continuing a minor theme in these postings, Doro Merande playing opposite Stang looks like Stang's twin sister (Oh the chuckles the casting crew must have had). Merande playing Vi is a Margaret Hamilton look alike too.

Edited by mehaul (Tue Dec 25 2012 03:27 AM)

#957339 - Tue Dec 25 2012 03:35 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I just watched "French Postcards" again. What a treat. There is a Christmas scene where Valerie Quennessen goes on a double date (her and two guys) which leads to the "No, right door!" line of dialogue. And it is joyous to see how wonderfully Blanche Baker has aged through the years. And Paris...
Joy Noel.

#957481 - Wed Dec 26 2012 10:02 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
I can think of a "bad" DDLewis movie. It's called "Stars and Bars". It's supposed to be a comedy (and it might be to folks in Georgia, but I confess I didn't get/wasn't aware of all the "inside jokes" when I watched it). Lewis wasn't "awful" particularly, but the movie was and I think there's a reason he never did comedy before or since lol

Last movie I watched? "Harvey", because I make a point of viewing it every December : ) (have it on VHS and DVD since we don't have a VHS machine anymore lol)

#958654 - Tue Jan 01 2013 08:42 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Jakeroo]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Catwoman" Halle Berry, Benjamin Bratt and Sharon Stone, a cinematically well done presentation of an alternate version of the Catwoman myth. If anyone wants to see how a silk screen camera filter can make a woman look so much younger on screen just check out Sharon Stone's shots in this one (Note it was a need of the story though, I'm sure not her imperative, I speculate).

AND, THE 1st 3rd POSTING: "Harvey", which earned an Academy Award for Josephine Hull, a glimpse into another myth, this time of the Celtic origin Pooka (also see puca and pouque), a mischievous animal manifestation that can take many forms, a giant white rabbit in this case. If only we all, or at least more of us, were of the Elwood P. Dowd mien.

Edit to add: In researching Pooka I found that "Donnie Darko" is a tale wrapped around the Pooka existence myth. Have ordered a copy and will watch it soon I hope.

#958658 - Tue Jan 01 2013 09:17 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
We went and saw "Looper" yesterday. It was good with a twist.

#958733 - Tue Jan 01 2013 04:59 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Mehaul: You're kinda "weird" like me (I mean that in the best way possible), so you'll probably enjoy Donnie Darko. The movie is pretty much left entirely up to the viewer's interpretation (I wish more of them would do so, rather than "preach" to me/the choir or beat me over the head with platitudes lol).

Been too busy with company/family over the last two weeks, so haven't watched anything lately except non-stop seasonal reruns of HBO/etc series (some of which I had missed previously, so it was nice to catch up on/make "sense" of shows like True Blood, Lost Girl, Boardwalk Empire, Band of Brothers et al)

The only "real" movie I watched that I hadn't seen before was "Nativity!" - a really hokey but surprisingly endearing movie about a British elementary school teacher and a Christmas play.

As for movies (at the theatre) that I'd LIKE to see is "The Hobbit". However, I'm disappointed because while it IS only one book, it is apparently going to be THREE movies. Wow, take a break Mr. Jackson. It's already starting to smell like Star Wars prequels. Sigh (because I LOVED the book) it should have been released as ONE movie, BEFORE the 3 that were released originally. I can't say how annoyed I was in the first film that you already knew who "Strider" was. And, if he had done them "in order, then my husband (who doesn't read much and certainly not Tolkien) wouldn't have assumed that the first movie in the series actually "ended" and wouldn't have stomped out of the theatre annoyed at wasting 3 hours of his time LOL

#958853 - Wed Jan 02 2013 08:25 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Quote:
And, if he had done them "in order, then my husband (who doesn't read much and certainly not Tolkien) wouldn't have assumed that the first movie in the series actually "ended" and wouldn't have stomped out of the theatre annoyed at wasting 3 hours of his time LOL

Gee, I could have written that sentence except changed the word "husband" to "mother"! laugh

#959240 - Fri Jan 04 2013 10:52 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"State Fair" (1945) - Jeanne Crain, Dana Andrews, Dick Haymes, Vivian Blaine, Fay Bainter and Charles Winninger - A Rogers and Hammerstein product. What could be said to the deficit of one of their musicals? A bit of USA State Fair background if someone watches this who is unfamiliar with the event: Most State Fairs are run by counties in each state (meaning a state with 50 counties might have 50 state fairs); They are for exhibiting farm products usually (produce, livestock, arts and crafts, cooking recipes, hobbies and other regional society interests) and give awards based on decisions by learned judges; There is usually a Carnival of rides and amusements that set up adjacent to the fair (a reason the fair dates are staggered by agreement to allow the carnies to move from venue to venue). Now when you hear the opening song's lyrics of "Our State Fair is the best State Fair in our State" you might understand the expectations that came with the arrival of the Fair dates (most often in the fall harvest season). I just loved that the state of Iowa is pronounced Eye-owe-way rather than Eye-owe-wah (do the locals actually use that pronunciation?) as the theme in one of the songs.

#959294 - Fri Jan 04 2013 05:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've been watching quite a bit of Dana Andrews in the last year or so - I can't decide if he's a good actor, or if I just kinda like the movies he's in.

#959301 - Fri Jan 04 2013 06:36 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
I know exactly what you mean!

#959558 - Sun Jan 06 2013 06:25 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"A Boy and His Dog" (1975)
Don Johnson, Susanne Benton, Tiger, Tim McIntire, Jason Robards, Jr.
A wonderful telling of several connected short stories authored by Harlan Ellison. It covers a few days in the life of young man scratching out an existence in a surrealistic, post-apocalyptic, dystopian world brought about by the five minute WW-IV. He relies on telepathically communicating with a dog who was a result of some parapsych... well that's giving too much away. You have to research the books/stories to find out how they got that way. It is just a given you must accept as part of the tale. For all you Hannibal L fans out there, it has a delicious ending! If you've enjoyed Mark Hamill's "Slipstream" (1989) or Sandahl Bergman's "She" (1982) versions of strange futures, you might enjoy this one.

Edit to add: My DVD had a mix-up of the audio sync. The sound precedes the motion by a good half-second. Maybe other copies are fixed but I found it added to the disfunction of the world being depicted, as if the Nuclear War had effected the speed of sound somehow.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Jan 06 2013 10:08 PM)

#959584 - Sun Jan 06 2013 09:42 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"The Big Red One" from 1980. Pretty good WWII movie - I betcha Spielberg watched this before filming "Saving Private Ryan", especially the Omaha Beach section. Lee Marvin is fantastic as the Sergeant.

#959927 - Tue Jan 08 2013 08:25 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Notorious". Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant, Claude Rains. I find the whole thing is spoiled a bit for me because the relationship between Grant and Bergman is so mired in the gender politics of the forties. I could see a young person watching this movie now and not being able to figure out what is going on - why did he do that? Why did she do that? We just don't have the concept of the "soiled woman" anymore, not the way they did then. Fantastic performance from Claude Rains, though - he's the bad guy, but he's the character you feel most for.

"Out of the Past" Robert Mitchum, Kirk Douglas, Jane Greer. Now in this one, the bad girl is really a bad girl, no confusion. This is classic film noir - they must have lit 200 cigarettes during this movie, and Mitchum hardly ever takes off his trench coat. Loved every minute of it.

#959929 - Tue Jan 08 2013 09:03 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Just the other night I watched "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (2005). It was brilliant.

#960166 - Wed Jan 09 2013 08:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Brief Encounter" Made within a few years of the last few I've watched, but so very different. I've never seen this before, and knew nothing about it, so came to it "cold", without a lot of preconceptions - read up on it later. I can see why it's been mocked, but I also see the strength that made it well enough known that it *could* be mocked. I have to say, I enjoyed it very much.

#960169 - Wed Jan 09 2013 09:55 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Donnie Darko" (2001)
Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore, Patrick Swayze, Noah Wyle
I see it as a statement of what Purgatory may possibly be: a short lived tangent lifespan. I also found it thoughtful that even in this tangent, once the Psychoanalyst made Donnie aware that he was sane by revealing ____, she seems to have robbed Donnie of his access to Frank, the Pooka bunny being. I sensed some S King in here in the bad boys of "It" and the bad boys of Middlesex Ridge. All Donnie's acquaintances were ending up in nasty situations (teacher fired, enemy counselor going pedophilic, Grandma Death's burglary...). The expanded myth of "The Philosophy of Time Travel" is an interesting read if you do some research. For me all was explained except for where the second plane jet engine came from. Did it mean a second tangent life was beginning for one of the other characters? Maybe that is revealed in "Donnie Darko 2". This film is as good as "The Mothman Prophecies" as a non-religious look at ideas about death's mechanics.

Edit to add: In the bonus commentary by Richard Kelly, the director, he had Mrs. Darko reading S King's "It" in an opening scene! Another scene, where Donnie is shooting bottles with a pellet rifle is much like the sling shot practice/decide who's the best shot out of "It". The sequel movie, "S. Darko" is the telling of Donnie's younger sister, Samantha's, tale (played by the same actress, Daveigh Chase).

Edited by mehaul (Thu Jan 10 2013 02:12 PM)

#960268 - Thu Jan 10 2013 09:24 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
The last two films I saw were "The Artist" and "Avengers Assemble".

Both highly hyped films but only one lived up to the billing for me; The Artist. A very well-made and imaginative film with engaging performances and a cracking soundtrack.

Avengers was a disappointment. I probably should have expected to have been underwhelmed as I prefer my movies a little more grown up but I found it a little too try hard - particularly the near-constant quipping from Robert Downey Jr. Some good action sequences, some stunning CGI and the performances of Mark Ruffalo and the bloke playing Loki made it watchable but I won't hurry back to watch the inevitable sequel(s). Not a patch on Dark Knight Rises for me.

#960621 - Sat Jan 12 2013 02:46 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Prêt-à-Porter (Ready to Wear) (1994)
Sophia Loren, Marcello Mastroianni, Julia Roberts, Tim Robbins, Kim Basinger and dozens more
A wonderful light comedy that follows several subplots. The drawback is that there is no main plot. Perhaps that is appropriate considering that the subject matter is the annual fashion reveals of Paris (someday, mehaul, someday) which is a madhouse of individual couturier expressions. Director, writer, producer Robert Altman I think managed to bring out the cartoonish "Popeye" to the reality of the cutthroat fashion world. Jean Rochefort, who played the head of the Parisian academy in "French Postcards" plays the lead inspector of a suspected murder turned choking accident so straight faced to the crowd of French Clouseaus that surround him. A standout performance. There are also several 'step in dog poop' jokes that fill some dead time humorously.

#960776 - Sat Jan 12 2013 06:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Django Unchained".

Well.

It's a Tarantino movie, so if you didn't get what all the fuss was about for his previous movies, you certainly won't like this one. I think I'm going to have to see it again, to sort out what I really think from all the images.

#960785 - Sat Jan 12 2013 08:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Snowman, I really liked "The Artist", too. One of the best films I saw last year, if not the best. And mehaul, I had fun with "Prêt-à-Porter" a few years ago. I can still hear The Cranberries' song in my head.

Just recently viewed "It Came From Outer Space" (1953). Unfortunately, it wasn't in the original 3-D, but it was everything you'd expect from a sci-fi film of the 1950s!

#960978 - Mon Jan 14 2013 03:01 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"Darkman" - Liam Neeson, Frances McDormand, Colin Friels, Larry Drake, Nelson Mashita
"Darkman 2: The Return of Durant" - Arnold Vosloo, Larry Drake, Renee O'Connor, Kim Delaney, Rod Wilson
"Darkman III: Die, Darkman Die" - Arnold Vosloo, Jeff Fahey, Darlanne Fluegel, Roxann Biggs, Nigel Bennett

A nice series of a dark graphic comic abnormalhero (rather than super-). The Darkman artificially makes skin masks for himself which certainly is a valuable resource casting-wise for the producer, Sam Raimi. It adds suspense when you aren't sure whether the character you're watching is Darkman or the guy he's imitating. Villains die and get resurrected for the sequels, pure comic lore! Jenny Agutter has an uncredited role in the first one.

#961457 - Wed Jan 16 2013 06:00 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

"S. Darko" (2009)
Daveigh Chase, Briana Evigan, Ed Westwick, James Lafferty, John Hawkes, Jackson Rathbone
Intended not to be a sequel but an Homage, this film certainly pushes all the buttons that comprised the original, "Donnie Darko". It takes place a decade later and chronicles some of little sister Samantha Darko's (Daveigh in both) journey through life and a tangent life or two. It's got the countdowns, the ghosts, the cloud tunnels, the suddenly appearing metal objects of death, the misguided do-gooders, the liquid sphere wormy things that show future positions, the burning buildings, the "Philosophy of Time Travel" by Roberta Sparrow, the wonderous recollection montage after the time lines are repaired and more. This has a saving within a saving that sets it apart from the original. Great music again. And a reason I find it one of the best films I've seen in a while, the Tesseract meteorites from the fourth dimension sent to destroy the world.

Look for Daveigh and Briana to beautify our screens for decades to come.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Jan 19 2013 01:38 AM)

#961830 - Fri Jan 18 2013 11:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Yet Another Dar... title. Did not plan that.

"Darby O'Gill and the Little People" (1959)
Albert Sharpe, Janet Munro, Sean Connery, Jimmy O'Dea
Cleopatra the horse was a Pooka! Once forcing Darby to fall into the abandoned well and then enticing Katie into a fall off a bluff. The merry and wise Leprechaun King, Brian Connors, shares wisdom with Darby and all is saved for what is just another day in Rathcullen, County Kerry. The DVD bonus material contains an old "Wonderful World of Disney" episode which had Pat O'Brien and others explain the history of Irish lore: the origin of Leprechauns, the Banshees and the Death Carriage.
For those who enjoyed "Paint Your Wagon" for the singing performance of Clint Eastwood, this film offers the tonsil tingling of Sean Connery as he performed the duet "Pretty Irish Girl" with Janet Munro. According to Connery the sales for the vinyl were profitable.

Coincidences to the other Dar... films:
King Brian can make himself appear to be someone or something else as in the "Darkman" series.
Darby transports a metal object, a church bell, which at a key point is heard to ring and transfix Darby who makes a decision, like Donnie and Iraq Jack, to sacrifice his life for the good of others. I mentioned the pooka. The Death Carriage and the deathly red car are key adjuncts to both tales. The banshee and the manipulated dead seem to be drawn from the same imaginary cloth. Rathcullen has its public house for partying and tale telling as do both Darkos have party scenes.

Maybe I could watch "The Dark Crystal"again? Maybe not.

#961847 - Sat Jan 19 2013 03:55 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

"The Bad Seed". Made me shiver.

#962008 - Sun Jan 20 2013 02:21 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Big Night" Completely charming. And the food.....!

Page 6 of 22 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong