Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#960512 - Fri Jan 11 2013 07:10 AM BT Vision
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
Does anyone have any experience of BT Vision (the latest version, with Freeview HD and the Youview box)?

The current offer is for £5 a month (on top of your broadband and line rental), plus a one off charge of about £50 for set up and delivery of the box. For that, you have to sign a twelve month contract, but the Youview box (retail price c. £250) is supplied free. From what I can understand from the website, it gives the ability to pause live TV, record programmes (single or complete series), and has access to all the catch up programmes. Usage doesn't come off your monthly download allowance, so that's not a problem.

So far this seems like an ad for the product, because there don't seem to be any negatives, but a lot of the online reviews seem poor. The problem is, it's hard to differentiate between reviews for the old version (which I understand was poor) and the new one. Has anyone else looked at this? My average download connection speed is 11 mb, so I don't think that would be a problem.

#960716 - Sat Jan 12 2013 01:34 PM Re: BT Vision [Re: dippo]
Tizzabelle Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
I can't comment on what the service is like in the UK (as I'm in Oz) but I do have cable tv and a box which sounds very similar to the one you're offered with the ability to record a series by setting it up once, pause etc. I wouldn't be without it as it's so handy. The phone rings and you pause the tv, you want to see something again, you rewind with the click of the remote. You want to record a series? Simply set it up once, hit the series link button, and it does it for you. Brilliant. Being a shift worker, I'm not at home when some of my favourite programmes are on so it's there waiting for me. The other great advantage is that you can have a stockpile of programmes ready to go when you have free time and watch them by fast forwarding through the ads which means it takes less time to watch them! wink

#960724 - Sat Jan 12 2013 02:26 PM Re: BT Vision [Re: dippo]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
Thanks. I know the functionality is good, but what I was really after was people with experience of it as supplied by BT. I'll probably go ahead and order it anyway; even if BT's service is no good, I'll still have a £250 box for just over £110 at the end of a one year contract.

#960745 - Sat Jan 12 2013 04:01 PM Re: BT Vision [Re: dippo]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
The only thing to watch for with that plan, dippo, is if the box supplied by BT has been chipped to work only with BT Vision - and I have no idea how you'd find that unless and until it happens to someone and they talk about it online.

#961672 - Thu Jan 17 2013 06:28 PM Re: BT Vision [Re: dippo]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
Don't have first hand experience of it, but my neighbour has the up to date version and absolutely loves it. She can record two programmes simultaneously whilst watching a third, set it for a complete series or a one off, get catch up TV for all the main stations plus get access to BT's on demand film library.

I have a feeling though that you will find the box has been chipped to only work with BT vision.

Moderator:  ladymacb29