Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
#958044 - Sat Dec 29 2012 12:00 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: Jazmee27]
bloodandsand Offline
Participant

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK
Jazmee, who are the authors of the books you've told us about?

#958719 - Tue Jan 01 2013 03:26 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: bloodandsand]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
I am re-reading 'The Hobbit' (yes because of the movie's release) and on Kindle I am reading 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel'.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#958852 - Wed Jan 02 2013 08:22 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I'm currently reading "The Forgotten" by David Baldacci. If you like reading the 'Reacher' books by Lee Child, you'd probably like this one. I'm only in the first half, but I can tell I'm going to like this one. Baldacci usually writes about spies, espionage, government control, etc., and this (almost) runs along those same lines. I haven't found a book by him yet that I've disliked.

#958861 - Wed Jan 02 2013 09:35 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ClaraSue]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

My husband really enjoys the REacher books but I find the character too arrogant for my taste. The last one I read he was writing things like "I am Reacher - I am the night".

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#958865 - Wed Jan 02 2013 10:12 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Exactly the same with me, skunkee. The writing is good, the plots are good, but Reacher himself just gets up my nose. Same with Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch - I keep finding myself thinking "Y'know, if you weren't such a jerk, people would work with you willingly, and you wouldn't have to thrash around bullying them to get what you need".

#958872 - Wed Jan 02 2013 10:42 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

I think the first half dozen Reacher books were great; I haven't been impressed with the last few, though.

#959525 - Sun Jan 06 2013 12:54 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

Ben Elton "Two Brothers". Maybe not the very best written or most poignant book I've read about this subject - two boys, born in 1920, growing up in Berlin - but a very compelling story, and perhaps more effective for not pulling out all the tear jerking stops. I did cry once, at the end of Freida's story, which is apparently based on what happened to Elton's great aunt.

#960558 - Fri Jan 11 2013 01:21 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Mad River" latest in the Virgil Flowers series by John Sandford. I'm enjoying this series a lot - Lucas Davenport was getting a little old - and this is another solid entry. I think my favourite thing about Sandford's novels is the dialogue between characters - absolutely spot on. This is the way people I know actually talk.

#960611 - Sat Jan 12 2013 12:43 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: agony]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

LOVE Sanford. He got a little stale for a bit but his last few, in both Davenport and Flowers series, have been awesome. Glad to know there's another one to look for.

I have just started 'The Painted Girls' by Marie Buchanan. Haven't gotten very far into it but so far it's good. It's at least partially about Degas painting and sketching ballerinas.

#961269 - Tue Jan 15 2013 09:25 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
November4 Offline
Participant

I like to read educational books. I recently finished with Homeopathic Remedies for Cats and Dogs. I will take that info with a grain of salt.

#961270 - Tue Jan 15 2013 09:57 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I've decided to start re-reading my Agatha Christie collection. I have begun with "The Mysterious Affair at Styles".

#961755 - Fri Jan 18 2013 12:02 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Goldberg Variations" Susan Isaacs.

This is something a little different from her - very much a "relationship" book, with not even a hint of mystery or thriller. The relationship is that between a truly poisonous old woman and her estranged grandchildren, with a certain amount of redemption of sorts at the end. Not 100% successful - I could see what she was trying to do, but I don't think she entirely pulled it off. Nonetheless, I like Isaacs a lot and there was enough good stuff here to make it worth reading. This book wouldn't be my recommendation to someone who had never read any of her stuff, though - for that I'd go with "Shining Through" which is Susan Isaacs at her best.

#961756 - Fri Jan 18 2013 12:08 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

I've just read the reviews for the movie version of "Shining Through" and it looks like they left out everything that was good about the book, and kept in all the plot implausibilities, which in the book are forgivable because of the 1940's movie serial thing it kinda has going. So if you've seen the movie, the book's not like that.

#961764 - Fri Jan 18 2013 01:13 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
convair240 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: New York USA
Though an avid aviation fan, my sister asked me to have a read which she thought more than intriguing.The book in question is titled "A Travel Guide to Heaven". The author Anthony De Stefano, is in fact a member of the aviation community both as a certified commercial pilot and a member of the Civil Air Patrol.

That said, he offers in his book an "inspired" look into the eternity which most diligent Christians will easily accept. His basic premise is that ..we are destined for heaven. He invites us to "file a flight plan" and be prepared to make the journey of our lifetime.

Among the facets he describes are the very nature of heaven and who gets to arrive there. There is no gloom or dire judgement going on in his pages. In essence he convinces us that heaven will incorporate all the intellectual and sensual pleasures which our human appetites had sought in this earthly span. In fact..he surprises us with all manner of people and pets upon whom we invested our time and emotions. Because heaven is a destination of supreme joy, surprises abound.

For the scripture oriented, each chapter is linked to Bible passages through abundant footnotes.

The book is an easy and exhilarating adventure. It is written in simple language which reminds me of the best travel guides I have utilized in my earthly travels. If you have a curiosity about .."what comes next", have a look into this little book.

#961780 - Fri Jan 18 2013 04:08 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
saintlysinner Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
I have just finished reading Bloodstream by Tess Gerritsen. I found it a bit slow to start but in no time I was hooked, will be reading more of her books in future.

#961791 - Fri Jan 18 2013 05:26 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I'm about two thirds done with Salman Rushdie's "Joseph Anton: A Memoir". I'm not a fan of the work...it's much, much too long. It's also quite difficult to follow at some times, as he intermixes stories of people that only come up once in his life, with people that he meets often, and stories of some Muslim history as well. He also writes in a fashion I'm not very familiar with...3rd person? 2nd person? I'm not sure if it's truly 3rd. Instead of saying, "I found the way..." he writes "He found the way..." talking about himself. That can get confusing and hard to follow if he's talking about himself or another man that he's talking about.

Anyway...I had planned on reading "The Satanic Verses" after this, but if the writing style is the same, I don't think I will. Has anyone read it? Or anything else by Rushdie?

#961796 - Fri Jan 18 2013 05:57 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: pyonir]
agony Offline

Administrator

Quote:
Has anyone read it? Or anything else by Rushdie?

Sorry, not me. I've been meaning to, as I like the way he expresses himself in interviews, and often find that an author's "voice" is much the same as his voice, if that makes sense. I'm not a big fan of dense difficult prose though, so I'll be reading any response you get with interest.

#961906 - Sat Jan 19 2013 09:43 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

I just finished reading Twin Harvest by Lynn McMahon Anstead laugh.wink This is much darker than her first two books. A good murder mystery/psychological thriller. If you have a Kindle, I recommend this highly.

#961928 - Sat Jan 19 2013 02:02 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Just read a short story by Clare Wigfall entitled "Before Their Very Eyes." I was pulled in by the story of a man who vanished from a magic show, but there wasn't a clear-cut ending. So, the reader's left to wonder "what happened to Henry?" That and, "what happened to Frances?"

#961985 - Sun Jan 20 2013 09:37 AM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Thieves' Dozen" Donald E Westlake.

A collection of short stories about his series character Dortmunder. If you've never read a Dortmunder book, do yourself a favour and pick one up - they're wonderful. Hollywood keeps trying to make crime caper movies out of these books, but they don't work well, because although the plots are funny enough, it's the writing that really makes them sparkle. My favourite from this collection is the Dortmunder Workout - not really a story at all, just a little slice of life vignette with the regulars at the OJ Bar and Grill.

#962032 - Sun Jan 20 2013 06:01 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Charles Dickens- A Life, by Claire Tomalin.
She has written some really good biographies and this one looks promising. I recently tried to read John Forster's, I thought it would be good and no doubt it was, as he was a close friend of Dickens, but oh dear it was dry, and not really relaxing bedtime reading. So I abandoned it and am going to try this. Anyone read it yet?

#962707 - Wed Jan 23 2013 03:36 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
Have just finished Terry Pratchett's "Snuff", not a favourite, I have to say, and have finally come to the last delicious word on the last delicious page of Zola's "au Bonheur des Dames", and thoroughly enjoyed every page of it.

Next up book 5 in the Game of Thrones series, RR Martin. Pretty rough stuff, but a rip-roaring good political drama/fantasy adventure. I can't wait to get stuck in!

#965419 - Mon Feb 04 2013 01:08 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Bad Boy" An Inspector Banks novel by Peter Robinson.

Very interesting read, in light of the situation in the US right now about gun control. Things are quite different indeed in the UK on that issue - the discovery of a handgun in a young woman's closet sets a whole series of events going.

I've been reading Inspector Banks off and on since the first book - these books are always enjoyable, but not really anything world shaking. A good modern British detective series - no bodies in the library here.

#965440 - Mon Feb 04 2013 02:41 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
George RR Martin's 'Game of Thrones', book 5. It's all coming together nicely, a vast panorama of political machinations, individual struggles, wars on all fronts, set against a fantasy background complete with dragons, shapchangers, evil baddies and bad spells, and the good guys who struggle right to the bitter end, but are probably going to knock the socks of the nasties by the final page grin

A great bit of escapism, in any case, and detailed enough to satisfy my desire to get my teeth into something juicy (if somewhat rife with bloodlust, gore and depravity).

Edited by Santana2002 (Mon Feb 04 2013 02:42 PM)

#965453 - Mon Feb 04 2013 03:40 PM Re: What are you Reading mark2 [Re: ren33]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Your enthusiasm for Zola's "Au Bonheur des Dames" shines through , Toni. I am going to get that next.Did you read it in French?

Page 8 of 16 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  LeoDaVinci, ren33, TabbyTom