Topic Options
#834208 - Thu Oct 25 2012 04:57 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Jakeroo]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario Canada
Scotish novelist; poetess; feminist; good friend of J. R. R. Tolkien
Your answer: Naomi Mitchison

typo - should be Scottish

#835561 - Wed Oct 31 2012 04:42 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
gracie3 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Stoke on Trent
British female music hall entertainer; singer

Your answer: Lillie Langtry

Lillie Langtry was: British stage actress known as the 'Jersey Lily'

The correct answer was Gertie Gitana.

Both were Music hall singers.......

#917200 - Wed Nov 14 2012 05:41 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
robsen Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: New Jersey USA
I resent that I was placed in the CHAMPION grouping for WAI.I play this game for relaxation not for competitive purposes....Please replace me in easy...I'm not familiar with Australian snooker players!!!!!!!!!!!!

#917201 - Wed Nov 14 2012 05:47 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: robsen]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: robsen
I resent that I was placed in the CHAMPION grouping for WAI.I play this game for relaxation not for competitive purposes....Please replace me in easy...I'm not familiar with Australian snooker players!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please place me in easy for every other game, I'm not familiar with American baseball players, basketball players, soap opera bit-part players, or state nicknames, state milkshakes, or state dirt. But I quite like WAI. grin

#917202 - Wed Nov 14 2012 06:28 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: flopsymopsy]
rossian Offline

Loc: Merseyside UK 
With unfamiliar names, I play 'Who Am I Not' in the hope of getting the right one. Does it work? Not always, but more often than not.

#917203 - Wed Nov 14 2012 06:31 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: robsen]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
Originally Posted By: robsen

I am Australian, male, and like snooker, but I can only name ONE Australian player- Eddie Charlton, and he died in 2004.

I enjoy WAI, but it is quite frustrating at times- UK radio announcers vs US quiz show hosts can be annoying, as us poor people Down Under have never heard of any of them... smile

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#917212 - Wed Nov 14 2012 08:56 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: ozzz2002]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
There are two databases that are used for the WAI? One is for tough competition (Difficult) and the other (Easier) has fewer (I think) entries in its database. Here is the blurb from below the game selection buttons:
Quote:
Easier: More recognizable people, but fewer points.
Difficult: Some of these are very tough, but you can earn more points.
Champ: Players who have won Who Am I, Achievement, and Monthly badges automatically match up against one another in their own hard set.

I believe you must play the Difficult selection to earn points for your team, it's the Whozits point payout that is less for the Easier selection.

Either way, Robsen, your people will come from the same database as everyone else in your selection choice. Non-Champions get shown the same varied group of people as the Champs. As a non-champ who does like getting points for playing, I like that the champs are in a division of their own.
In other words, you would run into Australian Snooker players and British Train Engineers no matter whether you are a Champ or not. Enjoy the title, please.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#917699 - Thu Nov 15 2012 10:52 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
robsen Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: New Jersey USA
Where does anyone get the authority to say "you must" do something on this ostensibly enjoyable, relaxing website. I really think I MUST throw the towel in and switch to triviaplaza.........................

#917754 - Thu Nov 15 2012 11:49 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: robsen]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

I used the term must to indicate the vague reference to "points" in the Easier blurb. I do not believe you earn Team points by playing Easier mode. You earn whozits but no Team points. "You earn points in both Easier and Difficult but only from the Difficult are team points accrued", may have been a less imperative manner to have stated it.
It still is true that the Champs questions come from the same database as the non-Champ Difficult players so the challenge to you would be the same in Champs with possibly less chance of finishing on top because you are playing against minds with similar knowledge.
Does Easier have a Champs division? If not, maybe you could play there.

Edit to report further review of the game:
- A rollover of the 'Game Notes' at the top of the WAI? Game Home Page says champions play in their own division (now using sets 26-30). This, while also stating what entails the Easier mode, implies that Champions are restricted to play in their several divisions/sets.
- Underneath the Team V Team status links is a blurb that states that Easier mode does not generate points toward the monthly Team standing.
- A scan of the All sets results table shows some Champions are recording very large awards which benefit them and their Team. No Difficult players are listed in the top 100 results!

Edited by mehaul (Thu Nov 15 2012 03:41 PM)

#917878 - Thu Nov 15 2012 08:27 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: triviapaul]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ontario Canada
1. Fictional character; secret identity of Spiderman

typo - Spider-Man

see marvel.com and imdb.com

#918079 - Fri Nov 16 2012 05:57 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: ssabreman]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Bell hooks
Your answer: African-American female author; feminist; social activist; born Gloria Jean Watkins

Her adopted pseudonym is intentionally spelled with a lower case b: bell hooks.

#918165 - Sat Nov 17 2012 09:54 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: mehaul]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Originally Posted By: mehaul
Bell hooks
Your answer: African-American female author; feminist; social activist; born Gloria Jean Watkins

Her adopted pseudonym is intentionally spelled with a lower case b: bell hooks.

Maybe the system uses a capital letter because bell is the first word of what is considered a sentence.

What would the result be if the "Who Am I" gave e.e. cummings as the person to identify?

#951912 - Tue Nov 27 2012 07:27 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: rossian]
zippolover Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Norfolk UK
Originally Posted By: rossian
With unfamiliar names, I play 'Who Am I Not' in the hope of getting the right one. Does it work? Not always, but more often than not.

It works for me. Also, if three names are quoted, go for the American!

Edited by zippolover (Tue Nov 27 2012 07:27 AM)

#963145 - Fri Jan 25 2013 01:36 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
maddogrick16 Offline
Participant

Loc: Calgary<br> Alberta Canada
I play this game in the Champions mode. Like Robsen above, I'm a bit frustrated with the content of the game. Not so much about the relative obscurity of many of the people listed but the fact that so many of them are from the U.K.

In the game I played today, of the 15 questions, 11 were British, 4 were European and only 1 was from North America. I find that this was only SLIGHTLY abnormal and generally the subjects chosen for the questions do punish players from N. America and reward players from the U.K. Robsen had difficulty with Aussie pool players. I know nothing about British TV presenters, whatever they do! Is it possible that the game could be more balanced?

#963204 - Fri Jan 25 2013 04:07 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Johnsnow Offline
Participant

Loc: Arkansas USA
It is "Euro-heavy" quite often. After advancing to the Champs division, personally, it has become the worst game on the site (right next to FMI). Take today for instance. 10 questions about Europeans, 3 from the USA, 1 Argentinian, and a dude from Africa. Quite frankly, I'd rather come across the first person I recognize, answer the question, press enter and walk away with my measly 30 points. If I had a choice, I'd love to revert back to the easier game simply because I have actually heard of most of those people. Alas, I guess I should not have won the monthly badge. I'll get to the 50,000 point club in precisely 793 days from now. Looking forward to March '15...

#963208 - Fri Jan 25 2013 04:21 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Gosh, I find the game a bit hard too and really only play for team points - and yes champ is harder than ever and I don't particularly enjoy it -- but...

... the one bit I DO like about it is that it has European/UK people featured and not just North Americans.

At least you can guess by the look of the name if you don't know the answer whereas "American" gives absolutely no clue to a name - all names look American, lol!

I hadn't noticed a bias, but maybe North Americans don't notice how often games on here presume that Baseball, Hockey, NBA and American Presidents are easy questions?

#963222 - Fri Jan 25 2013 05:22 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
supersal1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Essex UK
It's probably worth hashing over the history of the WAI database.

The original one was very definitely UK biased and was probably compiled in the 1970s, goodness knows where it came from.

Following howls of anguish, FT players of all nationalities were invited to submit names for the game and the database expanded greatly. Jmelston did sterling work in sorting it all out and he'd probably be able to give an idea of how many or what proportion of the names were submitted by FT players. I can remember one player submitting literally dozens of names of American Judges.

To my mind it is very well balanced now. Yes, there may be a lot of European names in it, but so what? There are a lot of countries in Europe. I can't see how it's any easier for a Brit to determine which name belongs to a Swiss composer than it is for an American to do so.

#963229 - Fri Jan 25 2013 05:39 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
MikeMaster99 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Melbourne VIC Australia      
Like Chavs, I find this game in Champ mode very challenging. I don't think there is an overabundance of names from any particular region. However I do think that Asia is very poorly represented. Inclusion of names from this region would undoubtedly mean my scores would be even lower!

#963239 - Fri Jan 25 2013 06:09 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I rather like the fact that the bias in this one game is towards Europeans and Australian, because elsewhere on the site the scales tip the other way. I'm never going to get the POG for Sunday for example!
It's just one game of the many.

#965102 - Sat Feb 02 2013 07:32 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Julie Andrews
Your answer: English stage, film & TV actress; singer; author; 'Mary Poppins' &'The Sound of Music'

There's a space missing in the description.

#967112 - Tue Feb 12 2013 05:40 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
Adam Gottlob Oehlenschlager
Your answer: Danish poet; playwight; introduced romanticism into Danish literature; wrote danish natinal anthem

Typo: natinal should be national.
And if Danish is capitalized for "Danish literature" then it should also be capitalized for "danish national anthem".

#967367 - Thu Feb 14 2013 01:50 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
WesleyCrusher Online   content

Administrator

Loc: Germany
There have been two messages in site feedback today with regard to Jimmy Savile. Can you please remove him from the Who am I database? He's no longer a person whose inclusion is really appropriate.

#972565 - Fri Mar 15 2013 08:23 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: JMElston]
Midget40 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Perth Western Australia       
German Pontiff; current head of the Catholic Church

Your answer: Pope Benedict XVI

This question will either have to be reworded on this or a different answer provided

#977070 - Tue Apr 09 2013 06:21 AM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: WesleyCrusher]
dippo Offline
Mainstay

Loc: London
England UK         
Originally Posted By: WesleyCrusher
There have been two messages in site feedback today with regard to Jimmy Savile. Can you please remove him from the Who am I database? He's no longer a person whose inclusion is really appropriate.

He's still there - I had the same question today.

#981515 - Mon Apr 29 2013 12:35 PM Re: Who Am I - Content Issues [Re: Midget40]
AlonsoKing Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Brugge, Belgium
Found a time dependency in today's 'Who Am I' but then I saw it was already reported a while ago:

Originally Posted By: Midget40
German Pontiff; current head of the Catholic Church

Your answer: Pope Benedict XVI

This question will either have to be reworded on this or a different answer provided

Apparently it hasn't been fixed yet so I thought I'd report it again. The question was in today's set 15, (if that's helpful).

Edited by AlonsoKing (Mon Apr 29 2013 01:00 PM)

Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  Terry