Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#962814 - Thu Jan 24 2013 07:07 AM What Category for City Quiz?
malama Offline
Participant

Loc: Dusseldorf Germany
I am almost done writing a quiz about my home town, questions are not about geographical features, but rather about anecdotal and quirky facts, specialties, little bit of history, festivals... the stuff that would interest me to know about a city I intend to visit, maybe live in.
You might debate, that questions like that are to obscure for most of the players, but I intend to give good hints and provide information with the answers.
I saw some quizzes like that in the category geography, but when I wanted to start editing, I was advised to rather use the category world. Alas, I can't find a fitting subcategory (cultures is more about local or global customs, world sites is about castles, bridges, but never cities).

What category should I use? Or maybe there needs to be new one?

Thanks if you take the time to help me with this one.
M.

#962831 - Thu Jan 24 2013 08:17 AM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: malama]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
Try the Mixed category over in General
sub-category: Mixed Other Countries

#962837 - Thu Jan 24 2013 08:25 AM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: malama]
malama Offline
Participant

Loc: Dusseldorf Germany
Mixed category is closed to me, as this would be my first quiz.

#962840 - Thu Jan 24 2013 09:42 AM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: malama]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
The quiz I wrote about my hometown (which also does not focus on its geography) is currently in the Geography category > Canada > Ontario. Should it be moved?

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#962876 - Thu Jan 24 2013 11:29 AM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: LadyCaitriona]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona
The quiz I wrote about my hometown (which also does not focus on its geography) is currently in the Geography category > Canada > Ontario. Should it be moved?

Ditto.

Though mine IS technically more about geography and places in the city.

Edited by kyleisalive (Thu Jan 24 2013 02:05 PM)

#962885 - Thu Jan 24 2013 12:12 PM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: malama]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I made the questions about the history of the area, so my 'hometown' quiz is in History.

#962904 - Thu Jan 24 2013 01:14 PM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: kyleisalive]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive
Originally Posted By: LadyCaitriona

Ditto.

Ditto times 2

#963802 - Sun Jan 27 2013 03:02 PM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: malama]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
The current Geography guidelines are that 7 of 10 questions are to be geography based i.e. about cities, rivers, lakes, mountains, climate etc. If we had 10 questions about sport stars, movies, food, religion etc, it does become a general quiz with very little relationship to geography. However, there is often a way of turning a question around to make it relate to geography. For instance, using Sydney as an example, the question
"Which sport is most frequently played at Telstra Stadium in winter?" is a sport question. You can turn it around though to ask
"Rugby league is played frequently at Telstra Stadium. In which suburb of Sydney, close to the Parramatta River, would you find the stadium?" Bingo, you've got yourself a geography question. smile

#963844 - Sun Jan 27 2013 09:12 PM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: Tizzabelle]
nautilator Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
If we had 10 questions about sport stars, movies, food, religion etc, it does become a general quiz with very little relationship to geography.

Are you sure? I know that when I play geography sets during the global challenges they end up asking things like festivals, famous food, and all sorts of cultural geography questions about a place, rather than natural or constructed geography.

#963848 - Sun Jan 27 2013 10:07 PM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: malama]
spanishliz Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
The Geography sets in the GC are drawn from all the possible quizzes, and all of the questions in those quizzes, including the allowed "non-geographic" questions, so yes, you will see them. The restriction has not always been in place, either, so the questions you see could come from older quizzes.

#964006 - Mon Jan 28 2013 01:12 PM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: Tizzabelle]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Originally Posted By: Tizzabelle
The current Geography guidelines are that 7 of 10 questions are to be geography based i.e. about cities, rivers, lakes, mountains, climate etc. If we had 10 questions about sport stars, movies, food, religion etc, it does become a general quiz with very little relationship to geography. However, there is often a way of turning a question around to make it relate to geography. For instance, using Sydney as an example, the question
"Which sport is most frequently played at Telstra Stadium in winter?" is a sport question. You can turn it around though to ask
"Rugby league is played frequently at Telstra Stadium. In which suburb of Sydney, close to the Parramatta River, would you find the stadium?" Bingo, you've got yourself a geography question. smile

And the reworded question is a lot more interesting, too.

#964061 - Mon Jan 28 2013 05:01 PM Re: What Category for City Quiz? [Re: malama]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
This is an interesting discussion. There are a number of Geography quizzes that don't limit themselves to geography, however, probably from a time when rules/criteria were less strictly enforced? Also, the subcategory Cities of World in the Geography category seems to have quizzes that are hybrid of Geography and World subcategories, IMHO -- which I see as a good thing as there some good quizzes in there, and I hope to write one for that category eventually. :-)

Moderator:  agony, gtho4