Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#964948 - Fri Feb 01 2013 06:49 PM Videos? DVDs?
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Mentioning on another thread that I was going to rifle through my DVD collection for a movie I want to watch made me think of this topic.

I'm the kind of person who has shelves full of books throughout my house. And, being that kind of person, it's not surprising that there are hundreds of videotapes and DVDs here too. I'm not very technically innovative, so hooking myself up to Netflix or similar is just something I haven't gotten around to. I live in a very small town, so even back in the days when everyone rented movies, much of what we wanted to see wasn't available with their limited selection. We get a lot from the library, but still, we've always been a family that bought movies, usually from flea markets and garage sales, but also online. I'd estimate I've got about 250 movies lying around the house, and my daughter took another hundred or so with her when she moved out last fall.

How about you? Do you own movies, or are you a more clutter-free film watcher?

#964950 - Fri Feb 01 2013 07:06 PM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
pyonir Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Minnesota USA
I haven't bought any for a long time, but I'm definitely a movie collector. I watch some movies over and over again, some I've only watched a handful of times or less. I had a ton of VHS tapes, because I worked at a best buy type superstore, so got a huge discount.

I usually stick to buying DVDs out of the $5 bin at most stores now...picking up older movies I enjoy. I've probably got around 175 DVDs, which based on some others I've been around is not many. Then again, I'm sure there are many out there with less than 50.

#964968 - Fri Feb 01 2013 10:21 PM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
I'd had VHS tapes for years but never to any extent where storage was a problem (maybe 20 or so). Then about three years ago I picked up some cheap $1-$2 DVDs at the corner convenience store (more to help the guy get rid of his stock than any other reason). They were all films that'd entered the public domain and were fairly unknown ("Bayou Mamas", "Swamp Fire", "Highway Cruisers", ya know, Buster Crabbe, Johnny Weismuller once a week fresh to the can knock-outs of the 30s-40s). Then around the same time my TV went down and while I did shopping to find a good deal on a flat screen replacement, I picked up a portable DVD player. That's when my wallet developed a leak and I began buying about 1-a-day DVDs. Now I have a storage problem. Most of my 750 have been bought used from on-line retailers. Watching with a set of headphones in a dark room laid back and the player on my chest is a great way to absorb what's going on in the flick, undistracted. I'm on my second portable now. I've just got to decide which will be my second wall taken up with DVDs. I don't think I need that rubber one anymore!

Olde age edit: With youth there is vision enough to spend days reading and then contemplating textual works. The failure of vision that often accompanies the elder years makes watching the movie in a couple of hours and then a quick analysis standard operating procedure for this blind man. So, though I would love to be buried in books (is 500 enough?), piles of movies have their benefits too.

Edited by mehaul (Sat Feb 02 2013 01:42 AM)
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#965091 - Sat Feb 02 2013 05:41 PM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I buy my other half a dvd or two for Christmas and his birthday every year. I very seldomn would sit and watch a DVD so it's just the ones he would watch. There might be a hundred sitting on the shelf I guess.

I couldn't wait to get rid of the VHS tapes - they went out the door the day that the last video player went!

I do have a couple bookshelves of books that I wouldn't mind getting rid of too. I've gone minimilistic lately!

#965111 - Sat Feb 02 2013 08:42 PM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: Copago]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
This closet in my husbands office has most of our old VHS tape collection, other tapes are in another room. We did keep an old tape player so we can watch any if we want to, we just never do. I wonder why we keep them.

I did a preliminary count of our DVD's and I came up with about 350 movies. I get a lot of them at yard sales for maybe a buck to two. I like to hit the sale bins at the stores for others.

#970993 - Fri Mar 08 2013 04:10 AM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Loc: Canada
I had about 15 VHS tapes until I bought a DVD player in 2006. I just started to replace the VHS movies for DVDs and then chucked the VHS player.

I buy a lot of movies from ebay and iOffer. I am now up to 449 DVDs. Some are movies, documentaries, TV shows etc...
The movies at the movie store (in Canada I have my choice of Cinema 1 or HMV) are SO expensive. Whenever I go to one of their stores, I look at the price of a movie and think "I can buy that online for about half the price!" ;o

Edited by live4trivia (Fri Mar 08 2013 04:16 AM)

#971051 - Fri Mar 08 2013 09:19 AM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

Talking about chucking the video player.....

My son patronizes a video and dvd rental place that specializes in hard to find old sci fi and horror movies. They put out a call a couple of months ago for donations of old video players and we dug up a couple here at the house. Apparently they are making a movie set in a video store in a post apocalyptic world, and needed them as props.

#971182 - Sat Mar 09 2013 01:38 AM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

That's pretty cool! I'm always a fan of post apocalypic movies. Are they making an indie movie? Or a movie with a high money budget?

#971226 - Sat Mar 09 2013 06:32 AM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

As indie as could be, I believe. Last I heard, it really is happening, though.

#971330 - Sat Mar 09 2013 04:50 PM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

That's pretty awesome! There's this zombie movie that was made at a Florida University by some professors & students. It's called "Automaton Transfusion". It's supposed to be a trilogy, but it has been a few years since the first one came out on DVD. frown

When the movie is completed, I would be most appreciative if you sent me a link, or the movie title! I love supporting indie movies. laugh

#971391 - Sat Mar 09 2013 08:13 PM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
agony Offline

Administrator

I'll send you a link to the concept trailer privately - it's not entirely FT Forums acceptable. "Tales of the Last Video Store"....

#971429 - Sun Mar 10 2013 12:49 AM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
live4trivia Offline
Prolific

Awesome, thank you so much!

#971821 - Tue Mar 12 2013 07:44 AM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
I've always owned a lot of DVDs. When they first came out, it was the only way to see the classic films that I wanted to see as TV never showed them and the rep cinema that I used to frequent changed management and went more modern in their roster. Now I work in the industry and get an awful lot of DVDs for free (I have 34 of them on my desk as I type this). I recently threw away the packaging for the majority of my DVDs and put the discs into those leather folders that you can get. I used up 5 folders each containing 144 DVDs/Blu-ray and still have three overflowing shelves of box sets and new films. So I reckon I'm fairly close to the 1000 mark now.

My wife hates the clutter of them though and eventually I will need to digitize my entire collection. I've made a start but I only have about 60 or so digital copies - there is a very long way to go.

#971824 - Tue Mar 12 2013 08:23 AM Re: Videos? DVDs? [Re: agony]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
We have around 50 video tapes, though we got rid of quite a chunk of them (probably 100) when we no longer had a video player that worked without eating the tape...

And around 200 DVDs. I've only recently started my OWN collection of DVDs, for when I move out, of which I have 17.

We don't buy movies much anymore. The number won't grow much since most of my film-watching is done in theater or through Netflix or digital downloads or xBox or whatever. I still like DVDs, so I'll buy them from time to time, but my parents don't buy them anymore.

Agony, we're also that family with tons of books; with over 1200 now, we have built-in bookshelves my dad build all along the basement walls. smile

And 300 CDs. And 250 board games. And over 200 various video games.

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong