Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 68 of 91 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 90 91 >
Topic Options
#965302 - Mon Feb 04 2013 02:20 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: nautilator]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: nautilator
He didn't even want to bring it up because he says that they don't listen to non-gold people on the feedback forums.

That is complete and utter rubbish. First of all, most people (or at least me) have no clue who is and isn't a gold member when looking at the forums - I can't be bothered to go to a profile page every time I see a comment, and it wouldn't help me if I did. Secondly, that doesn't happen. Okay, maybe Terry or Wes or Kyle's comments get a bit more attention, but the rest of us get treated equally on the forums.

~(_8(I)

#965304 - Mon Feb 04 2013 03:54 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
nasty_liar Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Sheffield Yorkshire England UK
Before I make my disagreement about scoring let me say that the Nemesis challenge is fine the way it is and it is luck of the draw, I always found it fine as a non-gold (I won one or two I lost the others).

Some of the Gold members may have forgotten how difficult it is to score points as none gold. It's all very well to say that non-gold can score plenty of points but it takes a heck of a lot longer. While I was non-Gold recently, I tried to put scores up to get the Three Keys badge. Whenever I did this it was a major undertaking and would take me a few hours to acquire 5000+ points. As a Gold member I can easily get 5000 points inside an hour. Therefore if I played solidly for three or four hours I'd soon be well out of reach of non-gold members unless they played all day (not many would choose to do that I bet!).

The issue is not how much the non-golds can score (because they simply cannot match a determined Gold member). It is that every challenge cannot be fixed to be perfectly fair to everyone. Gold members pay money to be able to play (and score for) as many quizzes as they desire. So it comes down to luck of the draw. Are you up against someone that has time to play a few games that day? Or are you up against someone that score 30000 points on a daily basis? Or is it someone in between. Are you up against someone that even knows the challenges exist??

Whatever it is you just make a decision as to whether it is worth going for it or not. That's part of the beauty of it for me! You just don't know what you're going to get and every defeat makes the victories even more sweet.

#965308 - Mon Feb 04 2013 04:19 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
When i get Nemesis, and won't ave time to try and get the maximum score I could, I sen my opponent a message to let them know what I am likely to get through my routine play. Some of them have beat it easily, some have not made any significant attempt and lost. Only once have I actually encountered an opponent who wanted to make it a contest. I lost. I also lost a number of earlier ones when I didn't have time to make a serious effort. And I won once by just playing my routine because I didn't have time to make any kind of serious effort.

A gold member cannot match a determined gold member who has more time. You may be able to do it, you may not. Over the years, there will be some winds, some losses.

#965338 - Mon Feb 04 2013 09:21 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Quote:
then would you agree that gold members should get 6 shots at an expert nemesis while non-gold ones stay at 4?

No.

#965342 - Mon Feb 04 2013 09:40 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
I doubt that this was meant as an ad campaign to drum up more GMs. Nor was it a stab in the back for non-gold. The challenges are just that. Challenges. If your race car doesn't have the latest technology, you're still in the race, but maybe at a slight disadvantage. But as has been pointed out, you can still win under certain circumstances or with certain strategies.
Or they could have just made the challenges open to GMs only as their perk and this wouldn't even be an issue.

#965343 - Mon Feb 04 2013 09:46 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Quote:
Or they could have just made the challenges open to GMs only as their perk and this wouldn't even be an issue.

This is a wonderful statement, ssabreman. A lot of the times, we get new games and new badges exclusively for gold members.

This, however, was generously given as a new feature for ALL to enjoy. Yes, there are some challenges exclusive to gold membership, and some epics can only be won by gold members, but for the most part, this is something all players can enjoy.

If you are not a gold member, and you do not enjoy the daily challenges, my suggestions are to go gold, or don't play the daily challenges.

#965356 - Mon Feb 04 2013 11:40 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I actually hadn't even considered non-gm vs gm when adding that challenge to be honest. It certainly wasn't some ploy to try to get people to sign up. I have always tried to be incredibly transparent and open about what you do and do not get with gold membership.

I'll probably leave it as it is though, primarily because (a) changing it is non-trivial (everything is based on there being a max of only one non-assigned player), and (b) the argument is true, but only if both people are really motivated and trying to max out their scores.

Non-GMs beat GMs at this challenge every day, simply by either having more time to play, or caring more, or not forgetting about it, etc. So yes, while it may be easier for a GM to amass LOTS of points, a non-GM has enough tools at their disposal to put up reasonably competitive scores against most non-hardcore players.

Besides, when I was testing this one, I found that you can often play this challenge in a sneaky manner that doesn't require scoring large amounts of points at all. Don't score any points all day, let your opponent feel comfortable with you not showing up and sitting on a 1000 point lead, and then at the end of the day when they're prematurely celebrating their victory because they think you've given up, go ahead and score lots of points.

#965432 - Mon Feb 04 2013 01:38 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Just for posterity, in regards to points earned today, 2nd place is filled by a non-GM: alan56. At 15115 halfway through the day, he's 106 points behind the lead.

It's far from impossible.

#965435 - Mon Feb 04 2013 02:26 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Terry
Besides, when I was testing this one, I found that you can often play this challenge in a sneaky manner that doesn't require scoring large amounts of points at all. Don't score any points all day, let your opponent feel comfortable with you not showing up and sitting on a 1000 point lead, and then at the end of the day when they're prematurely celebrating their victory because they think you've given up, go ahead and score lots of points.

Sorry about beating you that day, Terry, I was a sneak. The trick to that one is saving easy quizzes that you can play quickly to rack up the points...

#965449 - Mon Feb 04 2013 03:22 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: kaddarsgirl]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Quote:
The trick to that one is saving easy quizzes that you can play quickly to rack up the points...

I've run out of For Children quizzes...and unlike many people do not have the many Harry Potter quizzes at my disposal due to my lack of knowledge...and interest. So, it varies.

I am a GM, but I'm sure anyone who gets me as Nemesis will get free credits. I generally either don't have time or simply don't feel like racking up points. I agree with previous posters, I don't see it as a problem.

Edited by Mariamir (Mon Feb 04 2013 03:23 PM)

#965450 - Mon Feb 04 2013 03:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Here's another wrinkle which actually evens the balance between GMs and non-gold somewhat. Some of the challenges require you to play x number of quizzes from a list. I find quite often that I've played at least half of them but I must play some of them to complete the challenge. I get NO points for playing them. If I was trying for Nemesis points, these gain me nothing for the time it takes.

#965521 - Mon Feb 04 2013 06:24 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
sr71lives Offline
Learning the ropes...

I think my Difficult Daily Challenge credits should be more than what is showing. Any way to check or verify? Thanks.

**Please disregard my note above...I figured out the problem!**

Edited by sr71lives (Mon Feb 04 2013 10:38 PM)
Edit Reason: Retraction

#965544 - Mon Feb 04 2013 10:11 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
When it comes to Nemesis, I had one on Saturday and I lost to a non-GM. While I was hoping to win, I didn't, and am gold. It happens and I can't argue what Terry said above. Every challenge is luck of the draw and sometimes we win, and others we lose. Is it going to change our overall life? Probably not.

Don't let something so trivial (pun intended) keep us all from having fun...hence the name FunTrivia.

#965742 - Wed Feb 06 2013 07:42 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Marshame Offline
Participant

Loc: Texas USA
I won 7 personal challenges yesterday Feb. 5, 2013, but my name doesn't show up on the list of those completing 7 challenges in one day. Can you help?

Marshame

#965743 - Wed Feb 06 2013 07:47 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Marshame]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Marshame
I won 7 personal challenges yesterday Feb. 5, 2013, but my name doesn't show up on the list of those completing 7 challenges in one day. Can you help?

Marshame

I don't know of any list showing people who complete 7 challenges in one day. There's a badgelet for completing 10 in one day...and a badgelet for completing 7 total (which you already have).

#965773 - Wed Feb 06 2013 11:04 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

kaddar is correct. There is no special award for 7 challenges in one day.

#965862 - Wed Feb 06 2013 06:41 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Marshame Offline
Participant

On the Daily Challenges page, it says that 5 badges can be won here. It Seven Done [in one day], and shows the latest winner. The total number of winners in shown and highlighted, and if you click on it, it shows the names of the people who won it by date. That is the list that I am talking about. This is what I copied off that page:

Seven Done - Go To Challenge Page

Awarded to a player who completes seven daily challenges.
Winners So Far: 2222. Last winner: gigi1933.

Marshame

#965863 - Wed Feb 06 2013 06:42 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Marshame Offline
Participant

Sorry - it says that 5 Challenges can be won here (not badges.) But the point of my question was The List of winners.

#965864 - Wed Feb 06 2013 06:44 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Marshame Offline
Participant

Oh poop.

It says Seven Done, NOT Seven Done in one day.

Well, at least now I know how to complain! I promise I will read the stuff first, next time!

Marshame (who feels very sheepish)

#965918 - Thu Feb 07 2013 06:03 AM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Chavs Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Ireland
Don't feel sheepish! Welcome to the forums. smile

#966013 - Thu Feb 07 2013 06:14 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
mynah5459song Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Ontario Canada
Today's Daily Challenge - Difficult - February 7, 2013

Perhaps someone can explain to me how it is possible to score 2143 on each of the four quizzes. I don't understand. I have results such as 901/2143, 971/2143, etc. The same thing happened last week. The method of scoring is beyond me and the same thing happened one day last week.

#966015 - Thu Feb 07 2013 06:26 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
ozzz2002 Offline

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia        
It is a total score. Play three of each of the four quizzes and you should nail it.

Editor, Hobbies and Sports, and Forum Moderator

#966016 - Thu Feb 07 2013 06:26 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
Your challenge probably involves using Quiz Game mode and you are to do it in four categories, not quizzes.
A score of 100 is possible on a question if you get the answer right and take very little time. Depending on the time it takes you to answer the question, points (from the 100 per question) will be taken away. On a ten-question quiz, a score of 1,000 is possible. If you get a question wrong, a large chunk of points will be taken away, but you get a second chance.
The challenge requires you to take multiple quizzes from the same category to reach the 2,143 required for each category.
I hope that helps. If not, either I or someone else will try to explain further.

EDIT: ozzz2002 beat me to it.

Edited by Buddy1 (Thu Feb 07 2013 06:27 PM)

#966019 - Thu Feb 07 2013 06:28 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: looney_tunes]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Originally Posted By: looney_tunes

The real difference is not between GM and non-GM, but between players with a lot of time and those with limited time. A non-GM with plenty of time could beat me hands down most days.

Exactly so, I'm a GM and regularly don't have time to play.
A regular member with a few thousand points dailywould smush me easily!

#966022 - Thu Feb 07 2013 06:31 PM Re: Daily Challenge Bugs & Questions [Re: mynah5459song]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: mynah5459song
Today's Daily Challenge - Difficult - February 7, 2013

Perhaps someone can explain to me how it is possible to score 2143 on each of the four quizzes. I don't understand. I have results such as 901/2143, 971/2143, etc. The same thing happened last week. The method of scoring is beyond me and the same thing happened one day last week.

It sounds as though you are being asked to get those scores using the Quiz Game Mode so be careful what link you click on to play the quiz. In Game Mode, the quiz is timed, and you get scores based on the time you take for a correct answer - wrong answers score 0. You can get up to 100 points per correct answer so the points mount up.

In addition I suspect that you are being asked to take more than four quizzes. Most likely the question asks you to get that score (or better) in each of four categories which isn't the same thing at all.

Edit: some people type faster than I do, lol.

Edited by flopsymopsy (Thu Feb 07 2013 06:32 PM)

Page 68 of 91 < 1 2 ... 66 67 68 69 70 ... 90 91 >

Moderator:  Terry