Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#964255 - Tue Jan 29 2013 03:23 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Starlord]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: Starlord
Originally Posted By: demurechicky
Perhaps as the game progresses, there could be a 'write a quiz'...in say, for example, 14 days, not an immediate challenge, but a 'challenge in progress'. Perhaps there could be other challenges like this, like write '10 new questions' and have them accepted to the new question game. Just a thought.

Very bad idea as this would tie up one of your challenges for 14 days, so it would make it impossible to buy a challenge if you got a Nemesis challenge.

Starlord - what you've said about buying challenges isn't really a factor. It's perfectly possible for you to, due to bad luck, end up not being able to buy a challenge through no fault of your own (or sometimes due to your own faults - scoring too low on a daily game, for example).

But I don't really like the idea. Some people don't want to write quizzes, and for them, the challenges to enter 2/3 single questions in different categories are more than enough.

It would also encourage people to rush into making quizzes instead of taking their time and writing to the best of their ability.

There's also the problem of people not having access to the internet for 14 days. Let's say someone is going on holiday for a month in 3 days. They sign on to FT, go to their challenges and oh no! They've got this challenge! They'd either have to write it in 3 days (linking back to the rushing factor) or just give up.

However, I think the biggest factor is that it's too complicated and it just won't work. If you got it as a difficult challenge, would it be worth 42 points (3 points per day for 14 days)? Would it be 3 points? Somewhere in the middle? Is it even possible to code it so a challenge stays on your page for 2 weeks?

And it ruins the whole point of DAILY challenges. It's supposed to be something you do in a single day, something fairly short (unless you get an epic) and something new every 24 hours.

So, sorry, but I don't think that's going to work.

~(_8(I)

#964256 - Tue Jan 29 2013 03:31 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Quote:
It would also encourage people to rush into making quizzes instead of taking their time and writing to the best of their ability.

This is why it was already decided against.

For those looking for time-pressures for writing quizzes, we periodically have these sorts of challenges in the Author's Lounge.

Edited by kyleisalive (Tue Jan 29 2013 03:31 PM)

#964531 - Wed Jan 30 2013 07:49 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

Loc: Arkansas USA
What about playing a list of quizzes whose title comes from the Authors' Challenge list? (Ranking depends on the number of quizzes.)
Do we have any challenges relating to that? I know there was discussion a while back about adding a challenge (persumably Easy) where the person had to suggest a title, but I don't know if it actually became a challenge. If not, this might be a good way to get newcomers familiar with that area of the site. If so, then it can be another challenge that relates to Authors' Challenge.

#964631 - Thu Jan 31 2013 09:54 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Buddy1]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: Buddy1
I know there was discussion a while back about adding a challenge (persumably Easy) where the person had to suggest a title, but I don't know if it actually became a challenge.

It was implemented, someone complained that they couldn't do it - suggesting Author Challenges is a privilege given only to someone who's written over 10 quizzes, and it was removed.

~(_8(I)

#964644 - Thu Jan 31 2013 11:16 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

I wonder if it's possible to change it so that it would only be offered to people who have already written over 10 quizzes (like how the Global Challenge ones aren't offered when the Global Challenge is available or how the "Earn a badge or mini-badge" isn't offered to people over a certain level).
Either way, I still offer my original suggestion involving playing quizzes with Authors' Challenge titles.

#965582 - Tue Feb 05 2013 06:04 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
Today I got the yellow flag Variety III for a second time, can I suggest a Gold Member perk of being able to switch out a triple flag if you already have it, for another random EPIC challenge.

#965595 - Tue Feb 05 2013 09:49 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
kyleisalive Online   FT-cool
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
It'd be interesting if you could switch out Epics by spending a number of challenge points (say 30).

#965600 - Tue Feb 05 2013 10:27 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Starlord]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: K-W Ontario Canada
Today I got the yellow flag Variety III for a second time, can I suggest a Gold Member perk of being able to switch out a triple flag if you already have it, for another random EPIC challenge.

That would be a neat twist, if the Epic went into the list of things you could switch out. Take your chances, you might get something worse, but once it's done, you have to live with it.

#965720 - Tue Feb 05 2013 11:21 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Starlord]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA

That sounds like a great idea.

#965725 - Wed Feb 06 2013 12:34 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
Buddy1 Online   content
Mainstay

I was thinking, if it did get implemented where we could buy epics, the number of credits would be much higher, like 100. (I know 30 was only a suggestion, but, at least in my mind, it's still too low.)

#965729 - Wed Feb 06 2013 02:00 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Buddy1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
I don't like the idea of buying Epics - the luck is part of the fascination. However, it does seem fair to be able to trade a triple flag Epic, one you have already done twice and it ain't getting any easier, and see what the trade gets you. It could be another Epic you don't want to, or cannot, complete, but it would be an interesting opportunity.

#965744 - Wed Feb 06 2013 07:54 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Buddy1]
kaddarsgirl Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ohio USA
Originally Posted By: Buddy1
I was thinking, if it did get implemented where we could buy epics, the number of credits would be much higher, like 100. (I know 30 was only a suggestion, but, at least in my mind, it's still too low.)

30 was a suggestion for swapping Epics, not buying them.

I think it would be okay to swap out a Epic-III, but I don't think people should ever have the ability to just buy an Epic if they have tons of credits. Getting that Epic first should still be luck of the draw. Getting an Epic-III by luck and then swapping for a different Epic, and just buying an Epic from credits are not the same. The swap would still only work the one time, and it is quite possible to get an Epic you cannot complete when you swap.

#966063 - Fri Feb 08 2013 01:12 AM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
Starlord Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cornwall UK
There was never any intention of allowing people to buy EPIC challenges in my suggestion it was purely for those who have already completed an an EPIC III challenge to give them a chance of getting another challenge they may not have done and it would only be available once per day so if you got another EPIC III challenge you had already done then that would be tough luck.

#966172 - Fri Feb 08 2013 07:24 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
DomiNeyTor Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Florida USA
(oops I put this in wrong thread, please delete)

Edited by DomiNeyTor (Fri Feb 08 2013 07:26 PM)

#966173 - Fri Feb 08 2013 07:26 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
cubswin2323 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
I think there was supposed to be one at 50K. I can't remember if it was supposed to be a badge or a super-badge, though.

December 23rd is Festivus. A Festivus for the rest of us! Get the aluminum pole out from the crawl space. A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund. The Human Fund. Money for people.

#973878 - Sat Mar 23 2013 06:45 PM Re: Daily challenges: Ideas for new challenges [Re: Terry]
lorance79 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Canberra A.C.T. Australia     
We have an existing challenge where you have to submit a word of >=x letters in the Word Wizard Gold Members game.

May I suggest something else? Submit one or more words worth a total of x points or more by midnight FT time.

For varying values of x, the challenge would be medium or difficult. You could complete the challenge with one good word or a couple of OK words or 3-4 small words.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Terry