Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#965868 - Wed Feb 06 2013 07:56 PM closed/restricted
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Is there a central list of sub-categories that are closed or restricted? I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't find the thread. Thanks. smile

#965869 - Wed Feb 06 2013 08:02 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
No.

There are no categories that are restricted, however. We did away with those ages ago. Some categories, however, do have disallowed questions. There is no centralized list though-- this is why we always recommend reading the guidelines for any category/subcategory in which you'd like to write.

Very, very few categories are closed. The only ones which come to mind are Weapons, Kidnappings, and Serial Killers.

There may be a few which are closed from time to time depending on the influx of quizzes (Words within Words for Kids comes to mind). Editors have no qualms with authors asking about such categories before creating the quiz-- we can work this on a case-by-case basis though. (Though those closed ones up there are completely closed.)

This wasn't asked too long ago: http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/ubbthrea..._sec#Post810820

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed Feb 06 2013 08:03 PM)
Edit Reason: Added link.

#965871 - Wed Feb 06 2013 08:15 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I think there are a couple in brain teasers that are still closed as well. Follow my directions and scrambles are closed.

Words in words for kids was a fairly recent addition. I recall being told that words in words for kids was going to be closed as soon as I finished a certain series. I felt special. smile

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#965874 - Wed Feb 06 2013 08:50 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: kyleisalive]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Kyle, that link was to a specific discussion about the Serial Killers sub-category being closed. I was just wondering if there were a comprehensive list somewhere.

I found a list of restricted/closed sub-categories regarding World in its Quiz Creation Notes folder, but not all the categories have this so conveniently laid out.

Which brings me to two more questions...
Firstly are you saying there are no more restricted sub-categories? As I say I found a list in World, and I know I have heard others complain about finding out their quiz was rejected based on the closed/restricted sub-category.

And seconldy, if sub-category World Flags is restricted, I noticed a new quiz go online which is about world flags, although it was placed in the parent directory Flags and Symbols. I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to understand what "restricted" or "closed" really means if you can still write a quiz on the topic and just put it in the parent directory or what-have-you. If an exception was made for that quiz because of its exceptional merit (and it is good), it should still go in the World Flags sub-category, no?

#965875 - Wed Feb 06 2013 09:12 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
I was just wondering if there were a comprehensive list somewhere.

As I already said, no. There is not.

Quote:
I found a list of restricted/closed sub-categories regarding World in its Quiz Creation Notes folder, but not all the categories have this so conveniently laid out.

This may be because only a few categories have closed sections. It's not something we go out of our way to advertise. :p

Quote:
Firstly are you saying there are no more restricted sub-categories?

There should not be restricted categories. If a category says it is restricted, it is a warning message left over from old code. If it says 'closed' and is not one of the topics I mentioned earlier, then, as I said, I would recommend speaking to an editor in that particular category; in a lot of cases, an original approach to a topic is more than welcome. The only other reason a category would be 'closed', for whatever point, would be due to the types of quizzes they've regularly received in the past (not being up to par). Quizzes about flags and alcoholic drinks, for example, were problematic or dull.

Quote:
I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to understand what "restricted" or "closed" really means if you can still write a quiz on the topic and just put it in the parent directory or what-have-you.

Restricted used to mean that an author needed a certain amount of quizzes online (usually five) before their submission would be considered. This used to ensure that the author knew how to write a quiz and had a grasp on the guidelines. Again, this has been done away with, partly due to the introduction of the Quiziversity badgelet.

Closed meant closed. No quizzes.

With changes over the years, we've removed the 'restricted' label and, while some categories are closed indefinitely, editors will approach all others on a case-by-case basis.

Quote:
If an exception was made for that quiz because of its exceptional merit (and it is good), it should still go in the World Flags sub-category, no?

That's at the discretion of the World editors.

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed Feb 06 2013 09:15 PM)

#965876 - Wed Feb 06 2013 09:33 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
If a subcategory is of very limited scope - Military Phonetic Alphabets, say - or has an enormous number of quizzes compared to the how much material there really is to write about - the Beatles, say - it's probably a good idea to work on the assumption that the standards for that category will be quite high. For example, while we always ask that you play other quizzes in a category and try not to repeat questions, for this kind of category we will be quite strict about it.

While we no longer have restricted categories, if you happen to come upon left-over instructions about writing for them, it wouldn't hurt to keep those instructions in mind when writing your quiz.

#965877 - Wed Feb 06 2013 09:38 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
looney_tunes Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Briar Hill Victoria Australia 
In both Literature and Humanities (and Harry Potter in For Children) there are visible messages about some categories being restricted. There are also some messages about not accepting very general (i.e., ten random questions) quizzes on HP or Greek gods, for example. Close reading will show that this means we already have so many quizzes that we are not accepting quizzes that just go over old ground - our expectations are higher than they would be if there were not already a couple of hundred quizzes on the topic. Fresh approaches are absolutely encouraged, however. And you should be prepared to write more substantial extra information than might otherwise be the case.

#965878 - Wed Feb 06 2013 09:40 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

As an added note, one of the few categories I enforce heavy restrictions upon is 'Online Viral Videos and Memes' simply because of the nature of the topic. If there were anywhere in my categories which would be restricted, that'd be it.

It's the type of area where technically anyone could write about any video they or their dog made and posted to YouTube. As such, quizzes sent there are expected not only to be of high caliber, but to be about online videos with widespread appeal. This is why you'll see Rebecca Black, 'Chocolate Rain', and 'Charlie the Unicorn' in there and not 'that class project you did and decided to upload to YouTube for a laugh'.

This doesn't mean it's closed and it doesn't mean you need five quizzes already online to be considered; it means that new submissions are going to be looked at a bit closer to ensure that we can set a standard.

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed Feb 06 2013 09:41 PM)

#965929 - Thu Feb 07 2013 09:06 AM Re: closed/restricted [Re: kyleisalive]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
In regards to Movies, while we do not have any more restricted categories, we do approach some of the more popular categories a lot more critically.
If there are already 20 quizzes online about one of the "Harry Potter" movies, for example, we don't see a lot of benefit in putting another quiz online that asks the same, basic questions that have been asked numerous times already. "Who is Harry's best friend?" jumps to mind as an example of one of these questions.
So while we are happy to work with you on quizzes in these categories, we are going to ask that you choose questions that are more original and haven't already been over-asked.

In Movies, categories that have a . after the titles indicate categories that used to be restricted. So if you are writing a quiz for one of these categories, it's a good idea to play the quizzes already online and get a handle on the kinds of questions that have already been asked. If you do this the editing process will be a lot smoother and you'll likely have a better rated quiz as a final product!

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#965962 - Thu Feb 07 2013 12:28 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: skunkee]
bloomsby Offline

Loc: Norwich England UK            
The House of Tudor is a closed category.

There are a few categories which, though not restricted, are crowded. For example, just about all the more general questions on World War II have already been asked several times over - such as questions about when the war began and ended, who was on whose side, when and where the first atomic bombs were dropped, who the leaders of the key countries were, the date of D-Day, the names of the better known military operations, etc.

Editor, History and People

#965996 - Thu Feb 07 2013 04:47 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
There are also some categories marked as closed on the site but that doesn't mean the whole topic is closed, we just don't want you submitting directly to that category. For example, a Mixed Easy subcategory may be closed, but the larger Mixed category is open - this is because we don't know upon submission if a quiz will be easy or not, so don't submit it directly there.

#966075 - Fri Feb 08 2013 02:51 AM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
stedman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: London England UK         
Originally Posted By: gracious1
And seconldy, if sub-category World Flags is restricted, I noticed a new quiz go online which is about world flags, although it was placed in the parent directory Flags and Symbols. I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to understand what "restricted" or "closed" really means if you can still write a quiz on the topic and just put it in the parent directory or what-have-you. If an exception was made for that quiz because of its exceptional merit (and it is good), it should still go in the World Flags sub-category, no?

As both a World editor and author of the "Flags" quiz in question, I probably should explain how it came about. The "World Flags" category has been closed for some time time, because there were only so many ways you could ask "What flag has a white cross on a red background?" and most national flags had been covered at least once (much more in some cases - you don't know how many questions about Libya's flag we had to correct when it was changed!) However, when we began trialling "Photo" quizzes, it occurred to me that this category would be ideally suited - flags are very photogenic, and it is so much more fun and easy to post a picture of a flag and then ask a question, rather than try to describe the flag in words. In the end, I thought I'd try one myself.

I did consult with one of the Chief Editors, because obviously it might look a bit odd if an Editor was seen to be breaking their own rules. We agree that, as it was taking a new look at an old subject, I should give it a try. Hopefully people will agree that it worked pretty well.

The FT guidance has always been that, if you have a good idea for a different quiz in a "closed" category, then you should discuss it with one of the category editors. I'd be inclined to allow a bit more leeway to photo quizzes in particular, becasue they are ideally suited to some categories, and can add a whole new perspective to a tired subject. I may even do a few more flags ones myself smilee

#966664 - Mon Feb 11 2013 11:40 PM Re: closed/restricted [Re: gracious1]
Bruyere Offline
Star Poster

Loc: California USA
As the Editor who was consulted on that one, I knew the approach would be different. I was looking at my own photo quiz to see how different it was. I ask questions about the image in English and ask for the French equivalent of what is happening. On the purely verbal quizzes, I give a sentence in French then ask the equivalent in English.

One of the categories that was closed for several years was alcoholic beverages. Most of the earlier quizzes were not constructed very well and, they received scores of corrections from people differing in opinion on bar recipes. Now it's restricted.
For the most part, the categories that are restricted or closed have valid reasons for being so.

Moderator:  agony