Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#966050 - Thu Feb 07 2013 11:05 PM Kitchen Gadgets
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/home-ga...l-1226572802083

Quote:
WHEN we buy a toasted sandwich maker or a coffee machine we might truly believe they will save us money on costly takeaway snacks and lattes.
The reality is that every toastie and coffee we make costs us A$14 because such gadgets are used so rarely before being put in a cupboard to gather dust.

So what is gathering dust at the back of the cupboard in your kitchen?
I have a juicer that hasn't seen the light of day for a while!
I do use the breadmaker and the slow cooker enough to make them worthwhile!

And what is your oldest gadget?
We have a microwave that is over 30 years old although it doesn't get used daily it in huts that are used by the shearers so gets used for a few weeks each year. It was the first one my family ever had and Mum had won it in a $2 raffle. laugh It's not as powerful as the ones nowadays but we have been through 4 or 5 microwaves in my house in twenty years and that one is still going.

#966055 - Thu Feb 07 2013 11:17 PM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: near Stafford, Virginia USA  
The oldest thing my parents have is a Mr. Coffee maker from 1972 and it still works!

#966076 - Fri Feb 08 2013 03:39 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
The oldest gadget has to be my Kenwood Chef plus some attachments, bought new in 1974. I used to use it a lot but confess that it hasn't been used in years as I don't tend to cook the way that I did.

My microwave is not as old as yours Jill but is bo spring chicken, it is at least 25 years old though and is rarely used other than to heat a 'hot wottle bottle' or some tinned tomatoes, to soften hard icecream or make popcorn. It is only 500 watts but does the job.

Last year I dumped the deep fat frier and a couple of George Foreman items, the grill thing and a rotisserie.

My breadmaker sits on a table taking up space, I really must try it again otherwise it is a damned expensive loaf of bread that I made!

#966083 - Fri Feb 08 2013 05:00 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Funny, it seems to be bread makers that have been the fatal mistake,the used once items.I can never understand why people would need them when bread making is so satisfying.
My oldest and most used is, like you Jill, the slow cooker. I don't know what I would do in the winter without mine. It is great to come home to a delicious home made soup or stew.This one, I have had since arriving in Hong Kong 35 years ago.

#966085 - Fri Feb 08 2013 05:19 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
Chavs Offline
Prolific

Loc: Ireland
Stop, Ren, I feel so guilty. Oh breadmaker, breadmaker, how I have neglected you. frown

#966087 - Fri Feb 08 2013 06:02 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I loooove kitchen gadgets, I really am a sucker for them, and have loads. However mostly I do use them! My breadmaker is 11 going on 12 years old. When I bought it I worked out that if we bought no bread for a whole year and made our own we would break even on the purchase. I used that machine every single day for about 6 years!

I changed my 8 year old electric kettle and toaster last week, both get used on every day.

I have three coffee machines (and I don't even like coffee), a waffle iron which gets used a half a dozen times a year maybe, an electric sandwich toaster which gets used several times a month ...

My microwave is 17 years old, has been through one repair, but is definitely on its last legs now. It gets used every single day too.

My oldest appliances are an electric fan heater and an electric food processor (wedding presents dating back to 1994). They both get occasional use, but really, if the food processor dies on me now I wouldn't be bothered replaing it. It's so messy to clean up that I only use it if I'm going to cook a huge batch of food for the freezer (ie, not very often).

The biggest waste of money was a "centrifugeuse" (juicer). Used once, such a pain to clean that it got ditched double-quick afterwards!

#966088 - Fri Feb 08 2013 06:02 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

oh and the elctric toothbrush is a bit of a pain. It got used for a short while then abandoned.

#966094 - Fri Feb 08 2013 06:59 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
sue943 Offline
Administrator

Loc: Jersey
Channel Islands    
You use a toothbrush in the kitchen Toni?

#966112 - Fri Feb 08 2013 10:23 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

haha nope, I forgot it wasn't just 'electric gadgets' but more specifically 'kitchen gadgets' grin

#966113 - Fri Feb 08 2013 10:24 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
My stuff is all new, from when I moved out of my parents house November 2011. I have a fair amount if things I've never used though, because my aunt started buying me stuff for a 'hope chest' type thing several years ago and gave it all to me when I moved. I needed a lot if the stuff, but have not yet had reason to use the fancy turkey platter and gravy boat, large electric roaster, or three of the four different sized cast iron Dutch ovens. I also rarely use my food processor as it just doesn't seem worth the hassle to haul it out then later clean it when I can chop a carrot with a knife with less hassle. I think I've used the thing a grand total of three times, and only to crush Oreo cookies.

My most used appliance was the most expensive (and I had to buy myself!) but the one most worth it's cost and that's my Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer. Most of my gadgets are stored in the second bedroom/storage room but Rizzo (that's my mixer's name because she's pink) lives on my kitchen counter

#966124 - Fri Feb 08 2013 12:48 PM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
I can't wait for gun turn in programs to get going around here. I've got a salad shooter that fires some pretty nasty stuff after 25 years. I think it was a mistake to try to shoot blue cheese from it when simple crumbling would have worked just fine.
The toaster tongs don't take up too much space in the junk drawer.

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#966128 - Fri Feb 08 2013 01:45 PM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I wore out a breadmaker, used it so often. Never to make bread, but to make dough that I then turned into pizza or rolls or whatever. I did that sort of thing before I had the breadmaker, too, but nowhere near as often - once a month say rather than several times a week.

My theory about kitchen gadgets is that they are used by the people who do that sort of thing anyway, and the gadget just makes it easier. So if you have always made soups and stews and back of the stove meals, you will use your slow cooker. If you have always made bread dough, you'll use the breadmaker. If you have always juiced, you'll use your juicer.

But if you buy the gadget in order to change yourself into a stew making, bread baking, juice making person that you never were before, well, I'll be buying your breadmaker, like new, from you in a year or two at your garage sale.

-------------

My 23 year old son, single guy living alone in a basement suite, uses a breadmaker and slow cooker all the time.

#966134 - Fri Feb 08 2013 02:15 PM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
I love my slow cooker. The bread maker sits in the cupboard though. The sandwich toaster is a gem but my dream is to have a Kitchenaid mixer, probably in purple, maybe blue. smile That's going to be my housewarming present to myself when I get my new house.

I have a tradition of buying useless gadgets for my best friend for Christmas. Last year if was a lettuce knife, plastic rather than metal so it doesn't brown the lettuce. Then there was the mango seeder. Useless! The best one was a banana slicer. It's a like a biscuit/cookie cutter but banana shaped. It has ridges of plastic going from side to side and you place it over the banana and push down. This will give you up to 15 even slices of banana. Every time I'm in a shop that might have something like that, I trawl the kitchenware aisles for something equally silly for next Christmas wink

#966140 - Fri Feb 08 2013 02:55 PM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
rayven80 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ft. Collins Colorado USA    
My bread machine is gathering dust in the spare room and my crock pot comes out maybe once a year. Almost all of my jobs have been in food service, so people automatically think I like to cook and buy me all kinds of kitchen stuff. I've got two blenders, a toaster, a toaster oven, three hand mixers and I couldn't even tell you how many mixing bowls gathering dust in various assorted cupboards.

My microwave is the oldest kitchen gadget I have. It was my grandma's, purchased in the late 1970's. It still works good except the light burned out.

#966209 - Sat Feb 09 2013 01:33 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: sue943]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Originally Posted By: sue943
You use a toothbrush in the kitchen Toni?

Sometimes, when everyone is getting ready for launch by 7.30am and the schedule has gone a bit wonky, I have been known to do do. Better than leaving with grubby fangs.

#966242 - Sat Feb 09 2013 07:30 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Our bread maker used to get a lot of action. My one weakness in food cravings is bread and having to smell fresh bread baking and the house smelling so good became a big hip expanding problem. So it goes back in the pantry and we haven't used it in over a year.

I have two food processors, an electric knife, and two blenders that have a place in the pantry right next to the bread maker. I couldn't even begin to tell you the last time they were used. The slow cooker, which I've had for 30 years, does get used quite a bit. Oh, and four coffee makers, of which only two work and one is used daily. I have no idea why I keep the two that don't work. When my mother condensed her home belongings and moved to a smaller house, we teased her about her eight (!) coffee makers that were gathering dust in her pantry. I guess I'm about to follow in her footsteps. grin

#966248 - Sat Feb 09 2013 07:47 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

The empty space in the back of my pantry is what gets me. Twice now, I've told my future breadmakers that that's where I wanted them to stay and their reaction was to run away! Where do y'all find such makers that stay in their place? Do I need to put fancy flowered curtains in the pantry?

Edited by mehaul (Sat Feb 09 2013 08:28 AM)

#966354 - Sat Feb 09 2013 05:47 PM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
Don’t have many gadgets, because I wouldn’t be able to use many. The oldest thing would be the stove. I told them, when I moved in about three years ago, that I didn’t want the gas hooked up because I don’t know how to use it. I was starting to learn to use the stove and oven before I moved out, but that was electric.

My microwave was old, but I had to replace it as it stopped working. (As my great-uncle would say, “the microwave’s my friend.”)

Oops—forgot I have a small indoor Grill—which I haven’t even used yet.

Oh, my toaster’s pretty old… perhaps not like the stove (and it actually gets used—although, for a time, I was avoiding it because I was afraid the plug might be going bad. As of yesterday, though, it’s fine.

#967332 - Thu Feb 14 2013 06:05 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
jimhutch13 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Maryland USA        
A blender from the 1960's...major disaster about three years ago when the container broke- we couldn't find one anywhere. About a month later we found one (minus the blender) in a sidewalk yard sale in Podunk WV as we were just driving through...my wife was happier than I've ever made her when I said "that looks like a glass for that blender you like so much..."... Sad commentary on THAT, huh?

We still se the blender regularly for milkshakes and daiquiris ...

#967340 - Thu Feb 14 2013 06:54 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Breakfast energy drinks you mean?

#968234 - Wed Feb 20 2013 12:46 AM Re: Kitchen Gadgets [Re: Copago]
Jakeroo Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Alberta Canada
I use my (very old) blender (a gift, I would never have purchased one) to chop up pulp to make handmade paper.

I used to hammer ice to make ice chips, but the new fridge makes them quite nicely. I didn't really want that (or the filtered water) but since we got the fridge for half price in the end, we went for it. Didn't use the ice/water thing at first, but now I would miss it (sort of like my heated seats in my vehicle - never had them before, but if I'm going to die here, I am never going to have another vehicle WITHOUT them - spoiled now lol)

I'm with Agony on the breadmaker thing. Didn't buy it - won one in a curling bonspiel. Baked maybe 5 loaves of bread in the thing. Never used it for anything else after that other than for dough (since I don't have one of those fancy Osterwhatever thangs). I believe the breadmaker is somewhere in the garage now, unless hubby threw it out lol.

I know lots of folks who swear by a "rice cooker". Really? Rice is rocket science? lol.

Yes I own a toaster, but I do not own a toaster oven (or anything remotely like that)

Neither of us drink coffee or tea. We do not own an electric can opener or an electric knife (horrors!!). Cripes folks, get a sharpening stone for your good knives instead!.

I do not own a "slow-cooker". I'm sure they're great, but the idea of "timing" my food at 7 a.m. to meet some arbitrary time in the evening boggles my mind (easily done). Besides, hubby is a firefighter and won't permit any appliance (including ceiling fans) running all day unattended lol.

One needs a good "grill" plate. Preferably flat on one side and "ridged" on the other. If you have one of those, you certainly don't need anything made by an ex-boxer and you sure don't need a panini-press (sp). You don't even need an outside grill if you have a good "fan" over your stove.

If you were given a belgian waffle maker (heart-shape or otherwise lol) at ANY time, be sure to put that in your next garage sale. Waffles were never made in that pattern before that invention.

Don't buy a chocolate "fountain". It's highly unsanitary given the real-life usage.

I DO have a microwave. I use it mostly for thawing stuff (usually meat) before cooking in another manner. Also use it sometimes for veggies, if I'm in a real hurry (otherwise, they're much better steamed/sauteed/roasted).

DO buy a "pizza stone". They're fabulous (and not just for pizzas).

Not sure if woks, cast iron frying pans, dutch ovens and pressure cookers qualify as "gadgets", but I couldn't possibly do without them, especially the latter when it comes to pickling/canning.

My favourite "gadgets" are my FABULOUS set of knives/cleavers and some graters (several sizes: for citrus zest/nutmeg/cheese/garlic etc) and my "pounding hammer" with 2 sizes of "teeth" (60 years old, will not break) and my 40 yr old meat grinder. Not a "techie" in the kitchen I guess, simply "old school".

The ONLY "new-fangled" thing I've purchased is one of those "hand blenders". They're fine for some things (particularly creamed soups), but I find they often make more of a mess than anything else (but perhaps only because I tend to fill my pots too full LOL!). They work REALLY well for martinis though (giggles).

Moderator:  ren33, sue943