Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96625 - Tue May 23 2000 06:15 PM Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
I have never had hair this long in my entire life and I need all the tips that I can get. I keep it trimmed, but I have trouble keeping it full of moisture. I want to make my hair look shiny. I also need tips on how not to break off the hairs, as I keep it in a ponytail most of the time when I am at home. I will appreciate any tips that you have to offer.

#96626 - Thu Jun 01 2000 03:42 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
princesspatty Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Don't ask, don't tell!
My sister has long hair, she has her whole life. She had the same problem with it drying out. Something she tried, and it worked, was getting some Pantene Pro-V conditioner for it. Also, after she takes a shower, she'll either braid it, or twist it up into a bun, and that keeps the moisture in.

#96627 - Thu Jun 01 2000 04:20 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thank you princesspatty. I heard that when your hair is wet it is wore weak and easier to break off so I try not to do anything to it while it wet. Now I am not sure what to do. Could you ask you sister if she knows? Thanks

#96628 - Thu Jun 01 2000 07:10 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
princesspatty Offline
Mainstay

Hi Jo, she said when she puts it up after her shower, the moisture keeps her hair real soft. She also recommended a product called L'Anza. It helps with split ends and gives your hair a little boost.

#96629 - Thu Jun 01 2000 08:12 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks princesspatty, I will try it. You are a sweeie.

#96630 - Thu Jun 01 2000 11:30 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
princesspatty Offline
Mainstay

Well, thank you Jo. As are you!!

#96631 - Fri Jun 02 2000 02:14 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
Ohh don't braid it! It will cause it to split. There are shampoos out there that add moisture to your hair. I use a silk product that I get at the beauty salon..talk about smelling good,easy to comb and shiny.

Taylor uses it Jo,and I think both of your hair is about the same length.

Do you want me to pick some up for you become I come and visit??

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

#96632 - Fri Jun 02 2000 09:11 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

How sweet Sandalwood, I would love to have some. Maybe you could trim off some of this mane when you get here.

Princesspatty, Sandalwood is coming down to visit with me in a couple of weeks and we are going to initially meet at a restaurant. Would you like to have dinner with us? You are only a few miles away from me?

#96633 - Fri Jun 02 2000 11:35 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Trim off some of your mane? That depends on how much..LOL I am a big fan of long hair and I am very careful of how much of my daughters I will let them cut off. I stand right beside them and watch them like a hawk.

About 5 years ago..I had long hair..went in for a style and asked them to keep the lenght..when I left (I had been busy gabbing and not paying attention) the length of my hair was to the nape of my neck. I was MAD. I reported this woman and she was written up..would have perfered to have strangled her.

------------------

#96634 - Fri Jun 02 2000 06:02 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Wolfman Offline
Mainstay

Loc: second star to the left and st...
Yes, I'm a guy, but I've had long hair since the mid 80's. I've learned some things along the way. Mainly that long hair requires cash.

Rubber bands are the enemy! Don't use 'em. Spend the extra few bucks to get some good hair ties. Metal is also not a good thing. Though I don't use 'em, those "scrunchie" things are good, as are the thick elastic-type bands.

Don't go for the bargain shampoos and conditioners. No matter what kind of lies the television and your friends tell you, the simple truth is that you almost always get what you pay for. You don't have to get all of your hair care stuff from a salon, but a salon supplier is a good idea. (Out here the place is called Sally's.) That's where the salons get their stuff from, so it's like cutting out the middle man and cutting out his share of the profits. If not that, you can find pretty good stuff in the grocery and department stores. Some good brands I know of are Paul Mitchell (sp), Aussie and Infusium. I think I'm using Pantene shampoo and Infusium conditioner these days.

Being a Mile up in the sky, I know plenty about dry hair and split ends. Hot oil treatments are good, but I don't honestly think they last very long. A good moisturizing shampoo/conditioner combo is better.

If you have curly or wavy hair (moi!) keep it brushed. Letting it go for the day will result in tangles that mean splits and breaks when you brush it out. Being out in the wind makes it tangle even worse. Brush it out as soon as you get the chance.

Hmm...hair tips from a guy. This is just wrong. I'm gonna shut up now.

------------------
Some days you are the windshield.
Some days you are the bug.

#96635 - Fri Jun 02 2000 06:18 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Wolfman, those were great tips and it doesn't matter that you are a man. I will only use scrunchie things on my hair also. You know frightens me every day? You were talking about tangles, well they say that a person loses about 100 hairs a day and when I brush my and lose hairs are on the brush it looks like I am losing all of my hair because each strand is about 26 inches long. Every day that scares me. Do you know if combing long hair is better than brushing it and does anyone know what kind of brush is the best for long hair?

Wolfman you are a doll for helping out, thanks a lot.

#96636 - Sat Jun 03 2000 10:31 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Sandalwood what was the chopsticks idea that you had for hair?

#96637 - Sun Jun 04 2000 01:06 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

My girls and I use chop sticks to hold our hair up. It will not damage the hair as other products will.

Just use them like we did in the 70's Jo..Do you remember that?

Just twist your hair lightly on top of your head and insert the chop sticks, criss-crossing each other.

You an either use real ones for the restaurant or you can buy them in the hair department of most department stores..

------------------

#96638 - Sun Jun 04 2000 03:21 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks Sandalwood. I will try it out.

#96639 - Sun Jun 04 2000 08:35 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
Wolfie, I agree with you wholeheartedly about using good hair care products. Stuff from the grocery/drug store are horrible for the hair. It may be a tad more expensive to buy the good quality brands (Paul Mitchell, Sebastian (my favorite brand), etc), but you'll actually save money by having strong, healthy hair.

A product that I absolutely adore (can I name a brand and product here?) is Potion 9 by Sebastian. Works wonderfully for fine hair. A leave-in type conditioning product that doesn't weigh the hair down or make it limp. Especially important in the humidity that we have here. Makes the hair so, so much healthier. I swear by the stuff.

Paul Mitchell makes a great Tea Tree Shampoo. Feels great on the scalp - very cool and refreshing.

If you have color in your hair, you absolutely MUST use a shampoo designed for color. I like Artec Kiwi Shampoo (as an "everyday") and their color versions for periodic shampoos.

JoJo, I seriously doubt you're losing too much hair. I think you're right about what you're seeing being the length more than anything else. But, if you ever feel that it is decreasing a bit, try the Nioxin products. They are pretty expensive, but they're good for thinning hair. They have one product that's good for the hair, but is also wonderful as a shaving lotion!

I haven't seen anyone do the chopsticks in such a long time, Sandalwood! Great idea, though! A "blast from the past" type "do"!

#96640 - Sun Jun 04 2000 09:09 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Linda, I really appreciate your help and your great suggestions. I haven't been using the better shampoos and after reading Wolfman's and your posts I realize that I must invest in some better products. I think my hair could use a hot oil treatment for sure. I am glad you mentioned a good shampoo for color treated hair because I have been dying my hair for years.

#96641 - Sun Jun 04 2000 10:48 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

When you do your hot oil treatment, put a plastic cap on it and either sit under a "bonnet" hair dryer (if you have one - if not, it's a good investment!) or just use your regular hair dryer on it. The warmth from the cap will help the conditioner penetrate the hair better. Just don't do it too often (unless your hair is particularly dry), or your hair will get too soft and limp. It won't have any body if you overcondition.

If you ever need to strip the styling chemicals out of the hair, mix a tiny bit of baking soda in your shampoo. This will get the gunk out. HOWEVER, it also strips the good oils in the hair, so don't do it often. And, make sure you condition, condition, condition after doing it.

I don't have long hair - I'm trying to grow it long, but it's not cooperating with me very well! I want long hair so badly! However, I do take very good care of my hair. I use only good products and treat it with care. Because of this, I'm able to do more with it chemically. Although using chemicals is very harsh on the hair, I can perm it and color it without problems, because it's in good condition.

#96642 - Mon Jun 05 2000 01:48 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
fay_mc Offline
Prolific

Loc: North East England UK
...scissors?! (Oly Joking - althouugh I did go for the chop a couple of days ago myself).

Before I got it cut, ny hair was the longest it had been for years (below my shoulders) and I was starting to get split ends etc.

Cut down on the blow-drying (long hair takes longer to dry and so you're wrecking your hair with the heat for longer). Decent shampoo and conditioner works - if you have oily roots though, just condition the bottom half of your hair.

I found a herbal hair colour worked wonders - the variant of henna but for blondes. As well as pepping up the colour, it really made my hair shiny and stopped it being fly away (a big achievement for my hair I can tell you). An intensive conditioner such as hot oil once a week works wonders too.

However much I love long hair, I accepted that mine was better short and got it all chopped off on Thursday - I love the few days of compliments you get when you do that!

#96643 - Tue Jun 06 2000 09:52 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks FM and Linda. Linda I like the baking soda trick. I had never intended for hair to get this long. I used to get those urges for new hair styles and I would always get my hair cut but usually now above shoulder length. Then without noticing, I stopped having the urge for a new hair style and my hair kept growing and growing. I have never had hair down to my waist before in life. I never have split ends because I am constantly trimming it. I because I am always cutting off the ends is the reason why it grew so long. The only thing I miss about having hair shorter is that it is really hard to keep a curl in my hair because of the weight of it. Thanks again you guys.

#96644 - Mon Sep 25 2000 10:15 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

I found the old thread. I'm bringing it up, so I'll know what to do after you help me with my question! http://www.funtrivia.com/forums/Forum25/HTML/000350.html

[This message has been edited by Linda1 (edited 09-25-2000).]

#96645 - Thu Sep 28 2000 08:51 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

LOL! Ok, sounds good to me.

#96646 - Thu Sep 28 2000 11:01 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
ethel Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: meredith, n.h.,usa
Hey JoJo, just passing along a little hair newsflash. It seems Jennifer Aniston-Pitt just got her locks lopped-off (I swear it looks like someone wacked at her hair with an ax). Guess we all know what that means: short hair is hot. Apparently Mrs. Pitt is THE trend setter for do's. Want me to come over this weekend with scissors and a bowl, Jo?

#96647 - Thu Sep 28 2000 01:50 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I saw that on the Bruce Willis Tribute last night. Yuck! I would love for you to come over this weekend with a bowl of just about anything but scissors. If you cut my hair you have 7 years worth in your hands. Actually I am considering cutting about a foot off. Still want to come over? Just please don't make me look like Jennifer.

#96648 - Fri Sep 29 2000 11:05 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Ruma Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Alexandria Egypt      
Ooh, no, a foot off sounds drastic...do it in stages and see how you like it. Sometimes it can make you feel lightheaded and great...a great haircut can change the entire way you look and feel and be really uplifting, but the opposite is also true. if you've had long hair all your life, cutting it off can make you feel vulnerable, like you've lost a friend....and it takes AGES to grow back, believe me! I had hair long enough to sit on as a teenager, and it was thick and shiny and people used to ooh and ah over it...now, post-babies and with all the constant re-locating we do, so change of types of water and diet, I've lost the volume and texture, and it's about shoulder-length, easier to manage and wash, as I shampoo everyday (I workout, so get sweaty!)I've no choice. Long hair, bye-bye forever.

So think about it first, JoJo!It may be a MAJOR decision in your life!

#96649 - Fri Sep 29 2000 12:38 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Thanks for advice Ruma. I think I will only cut a few inches off like you suggested. This is the first time I have ever had hair this long and you're right it is like a friend. I have to do something quick because even when it is in a ponytail I can sit on it and I am afraid I am pulling too much hair out when I do. Shucks I mind end up bald if I don't get my behind to a hair dresser.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong