Rules
Terms of Use

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#96650 - Fri Sep 29 2000 04:14 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
ethel Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: meredith, n.h.,usa
I agree with RUMA, Jo. A few inches would be good, but a foot would be so drastic. I don't think any of your Scrapbook pics show your hair at its present length, but I think you look gorgeous with all that long hair!
As for my coming this weekend to do any barbering...you would end up with a buzz cut. I tried to trim my husband's beard once and kept having to "even things out" - needless to say, he ended up with a beard that looked more like 5 o'clock shadow and i'm not allowed to touch scissors in the vicinity of anyone's hair.
I was going to suggest just coming over anyway, with a bowl of something decadent to munch on and a couple of tear-jerker videos. Now I see from your other posting that we'll just end up exercising...what a way to spend a saturday night!

#96651 - Fri Sep 29 2000 04:52 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: San Diego California USA 
LOL! Here comes snip snip ethel!! I going to put my hair under a hard hat! No buzz cuts for me thank you.

Hey, we could exercise during the day and then I could bring one of my famous Lemon Meringue Pies and we could watch 'Madame X' I sob every single time I watch that movie.

One second...... ok, I'm back. I just cut off a couple of inches of hair and it already feel better. Now I will have to get someone to straighten it out for me. Just so it's not buzzing ethel!!! LOL

#96652 - Sat Sep 30 2000 08:37 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
ethel Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: meredith, n.h.,usa
JoJo, I'm sorry this isn't about your hair (been there), but I wanted to comment on "Madame X". Isn't it great? But if you like Lana, did you ever see "Imitation of Life" ? OMG, get out the Kleenex! I wish these great old movies were on more often!

#96653 - Sat Sep 30 2000 09:12 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Oh ethel, I loved "Imitation of Life" I enjoy watching those great old black and white movies. I still cry each time Shirley Temple cries, believe it or not.

#96654 - Sun Oct 01 2000 01:28 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Anonymous
No longer registered

oooh... a hair topic..I love it

I've had long hair for years..well, it's not long now..but, I learned some stuff.

Pantene is worth the money! Aussie 3-minute miracle is very good for slightly unruly hair. Tresemme is the best in hot oil, even though is has more perfumes than most. And here's a little something I do every month..mix a beer (I use Budweiser cause that crap is too nasty to drink) and mix it with an egg (or 2 depending on length of hair) and dump it on your hair. Lather it around and rinse..and just wash your hair normally. I swear, your hair will be shinier, healthier and hold more moisture. I have no idea why this works, but it does!

------------------
You need to be quiet more often.

#96655 - Tue Oct 03 2000 12:29 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hello originalcallie, did you know that beer is also a great setting lotion. If your hair doesn't hold a curl very well and if you are in a pinch try using beer. It works and once your hair has dried, the beer odor goes away.

If you would like to brighten up your hair slightly, take equal parts of 20 volume peroxide and any brand of shampoo. Lather it all over your head and leave it on 10-15 minutes. Keep in mind, the peroxide IS a chemical product, but, it is made gentler by mixing it with the shampoo. It will brighten a blonde, brunette, or redhead, on hair that is darker, it may not do a thing.

If any of you use "Sun In" on your hair, do not get a perm with that product in your hair. It is a metallic product and can dry, damage, or break your hair when a perm is applied. Be sure to inform your stylist that you have been using this product if you really want a perm and they will may have some suggestions for you such as conditioning your hair first.

#96656 - Tue Oct 03 2000 09:13 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
SilverMoonsong Offline

Loc: Morrisville North Carolina USA
Hey Jo,

I also have hair long enough to sit on (imagine the looks we'll get when I come out there!)

One product I like is the cholesterol treatment by Queen Helene. Wash normally, use liberal amounts of the treatment, and put either a cap or heated towel on your head for about 15 minutes. You can heat a towel by using the hottest water you can stand (microwave is not a good idea) and wring it out. Wrap it around your head for about 15 minutes then rinse.

One other thing - keep those ends trimmed. Every 2-3 months, have someone take off 1/2 - 1 inch of dead ends.

BTW - I've been doing hair for 16 years now. Want me to trim it when I get there?

------------------
Silver Moonsong
Things haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister....

#96657 - Wed Oct 04 2000 01:44 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Anonymous
No longer registered

JoJo--I had no idea that would work. My hair is straight as can be and I've always tried to hold a curl and it always fails. I will have to try this sometime! Thank you very much, you kind person

------------------

#96658 - Wed Oct 04 2000 10:50 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
CellarDoor Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Seattle<br>  Washington USA...
I'm a so-long-you-can-sit-on-it hair person too, and don't worry. It looks like a lot of hair comes out every time you comb it, but hey, I've still got lots left so it must be all right. Comb it CAREFULLY though. One nice thing when it gets really long (at least in my experience) is that the weight keeps it relatively untangled through the day. If you want to add more body to your hair, you can rub in styling gel (I use Pantene), but beware -- you have to let it dry before you can do anything with it. And definitely, definitely, DEFINITELY comb your hair BEFORE and not after you wash it!

#96659 - Sat Oct 07 2000 03:15 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Anonymous
No longer registered

I havenīt read the whole thread so I donīt know if this applies here, but I have a question that maybe you all can help me with. Iīm wondering if itīs true that for your hair to grow faster the best time to cut it is during a full moon phase..is this true?

#96660 - Sat Oct 07 2000 06:06 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
Fortunata, this sounded just so intriguing that I had to try to do a search on it! Haven't found anything, yet! Checked a couple of urban legend pages, just to see if the fact was there. But, no luck. Did a search engine lookup. Again, nothing. If anyone has better luck, make sure to post it - maybe this is my answer to growing my hair out!

I do know that your hair grows faster in the summer (or, whenever your hot months are). This is due to circulation in the scalp.

And, if you want to grow your hair longer and stronger, be sure you're taking a good multivitamin every day - it should have a good balance of the B Vitamins. (You should take a multivitamin every day for many reasons, but that's another story!)

#96661 - Sat Oct 07 2000 07:25 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

originalcallie, CellarDoor, and Silver Moonsong. I'm not a so-long-you-can-sit-on-it hair person now. I had a friend of mine who is a computer programer come over to my house to check out one of my computers and I talked him into cutting about four inches off my hair!! I can't believe I did that. I have to admit that it feels healthier and I don't seem to be losing as much hair any more. The only problem that I have now is that I need for Silver Moonsong to hurry up and get here so that she can even it out for me!! LOL! Fortunata, I'll bet Silver will know about cutting hair during a full moon.

#96662 - Sun Oct 08 2000 01:25 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Anonymous
No longer registered

JoJo-I no longer have the long-enough-to-sit-on hair, but did for years. I am making a half-hearted attempt at growing it out (it's about shoulder-length) which will prolly last for another month, then I will cut it off.

Fortunata-As strange as it sounds, and I have no proof that it works for everyone..cutting your hair on a full moon does make it grow faster. I have no clue why, but it worked for both me and my cousin. So, take what you will

------------------

#96663 - Wed Oct 11 2000 03:49 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Anonymous
No longer registered

Linda & OriginalCallie---Iīve heard for years about cutting your hair during full moon phases to make it grow faster, mostly from the women in my family and girl friends, so it might be some kind of folklore passed down through generations. I know thereīs also bad moon phases to cut your hair during as it will make it grow slowly or not at all! But I have no idea what those moon faces are. According to my hairstylist, youīre supposed to trim your hair every three weeks, but that seems excessive to me. And she also swears by the moon thing. We need to get SilverMoonsong and Sandalwood in here for help!

I cut all my hair off into a neat little cropped style about two years ago and it seems to be taking way too long to grow out. As it is, itīs only down to my neck..about where the shoulders start. And I want it long, down on my back, hopefully by New Yearīs. Must get a moon phase catalog quick! LOL I take Centrum and other vitamins every day, including Vitamin C, E and Calcium supplements...but itīs not helping the hair situation at all.

JoJo, I canīt believe you cut your hair!!! But if youīre happy with it then fine...but can you send me those 4 inches so I can have them glued to mine?

#96664 - Wed Oct 11 2000 03:56 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Anonymous
No longer registered

LOL! Just thought of another silly one, but please donīt laugh too hard at me... Iīve heard that putting your hair up in ponytails makes it grow faster also. Anyone? And stop giggling...

#96665 - Wed Oct 11 2000 04:33 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
Linda1 Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Munchkinland
Fortunata, try to find some Nioxin Haircare Products. It's great for healthy hair. It won't grow hair where you don't have any (so it's not something that's really going to help with real balding), but it makes what you have longer and stronger. It also helps keep what you have in your scalp longer - you don't lose so many hairs (though there's a certain amount of hairloss that's considered "normal.")My hairdresser used it when she was growing her hair out, and hers is beautiful. I've been using it for a while myself, and I'm amazed by how much healthier my hair is.

[This message has been edited by Linda1 (edited 10-11-2000).]

#96666 - Wed Oct 11 2000 10:53 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
sandalwood Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Camarillo California USA
Fort I do not know if that is true..But I do know that binding you hair anyway is not good for it..It causes splits.

------------------
Sandalwood's Cosmic Creations: Working with the magic of love....

#96667 - Mon Dec 11 2000 05:29 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
CoF Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Athens
Sorry to be so hasty but I need an answer fast!!!
I am 19 years old, male, and have been growing long hair for about 1 year.My hair is just below my shoulders but since I started keeping my hair in a ponytail (mostly because my I was not used to having long hair) I have noticed a dramatic increase in falling hair...I believe the males in this forum will understand that growing hair is a lot more difficult in our case than being a woman mostly because you can't fix your hair during the growing period.It's the not-too-long-to-keep-in-a-ponytail-not-too-short-to-have-it-standing-the-way-you-like thing!!
And being unable to express how much I love long hair (one of the reasons is, being a black metal fan) I would like you to understand the "terror" I feel.
My problem is mostly falling hair...How the f**k can I keep my hair from falling???I am using the Fructis from Garnier.My sister who has had long hair for 10 years now tells me I should be using Herbal Essenses from Clairol together with the conditioner.I am not using any conditioner right now because I think the applying proccess is quite harmfull for fragile hair.Am I right? Could somebody HELP ME PLEASE????

#96668 - Mon Dec 11 2000 05:45 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

Hello and welcome CoF. I know exactly what you mean about the feeling that you are loosing more hair than you used to before you started growing it out. My hair is below my waist and every day when I brush it, I start to freak out that I am loosing all my because it appears that I am taking a ton of hair out of my hairbrush every day. Maybe because each strand is so long, it just looks like I am loosing more than I think I am. I know that keeping your hair trimmed will help it to grow faster. Try not to comb or brush your hair too much while it is wet because your hair will break off easier that way. I would try some good hot oil treatments on your hair, NEVER use rubber bands and try to massage your scalp as you are washing and drying it. I hope that helps you some. Maybe some of the others will have more tips to add.

#96669 - Mon Dec 11 2000 05:58 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

I almost forgot. Jojoba oil makes a great hot oil treatment for hair that is stressed. Take 3 tablespoons of jojoba oil, (more if your hair is longer), work it through dry hair and then wrap you hair in some plastic wrap or put on a large baggie and then a warm towel. Relax for at least an hour or go to sleep with it on your hair and shampoo it out in the morning. The oil will get on your pillow unless you keep your head covered. Yes, it might sound like a pain in the you know what, but it works.

#96670 - Tue Dec 12 2000 03:20 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
CoF Offline
Learning the ropes...

Thanks a lot JoJo2!
I really think that I am loosing more hair than normal anyway.
What is that hot oil treatment everybody is talking about?
Is it what you described in the second message?
Thanks again!!

#96671 - Tue Dec 12 2000 07:10 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

That's right CoF, you don't have to mix up the Jojoba oil one yourself if you don't want to. You can buy tubes of hot oil treatments in just about any drug store or grocery.

- Jojoba JoJo

#96672 - Tue Dec 12 2000 08:59 AM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
CoF Offline
Learning the ropes...

Are the tubes also from Jojoba?
Does this product have a specific name?
What shampoo do you recommend?
Another thing is that I am not exactly sure I understand the "rubber bands".What do you mean by that?
What are rubber bands?Do you mean the usuall rubber inside-cotton outside elastic bands?Are these harmful?
Sorry but I am not a native speaker....I am from greece...
Sorry about the "machinegun" questioning.
You're great!

[This message has been edited by CoF (edited 12-12-2000).]

#96673 - Tue Dec 12 2000 04:24 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
JoJo2 Offline
Star Poster

We think you're great too CoF! There are some great shampoos listed in some of the posts above I believe. As far as the hot oil treatments, there are many brands such as Vo5. I don't think that a Jojoba hot oil treatment is available in tubes, but I could be wrong about that. As far rubber bands go, make sure that they are the covered ones (covered with some type of material) like Wolfman suggested. When you wash you hair, be sure to put some cream rinse on it so that your hair wont't tangle when you try to comb it. I used to use a great product to strengthen hair and I can't think of it at the moment. Just as soon as I can remember the name I will post it for you.

#96674 - Tue Dec 12 2000 04:50 PM Re: Tips For Long Hair Needed
CoF Offline
Learning the ropes...

I got what you mean about rubber bands.What kind of idiot would use them without some kind of covering?
I try not to use a rinsing cream after washing my hair as I don't think I really need it,my hair is soft enough...I try not to comb my hair too much after washing them in any case as I freak out in the sight of hair falling of.
Isn't the trimming process painstaking for hair?
I mean when you go to have your hair cut,don't you lose a WHOLE lot of them as the whole thing needs a lot of combing and stretching?
Just the thought of it gives me the creeps!!
I keep the side areas of my head really short, almost shaved (I am nothing like f**ken punks) and I need to go cut them again,but I am reluctant of going to the hairdresser's just in the thought of all the trouble I'll put the rest of my hair through..

[This message has been edited by CoF (edited 12-12-2000).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ren33, SilverMoonsong