Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#962102 - Mon Jan 21 2013 01:51 AM Another member unblock needed
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Loc: Germany
Terry - gracious1 has managed to lock herself out with the usual 403 Forbidden after the system disliked a profile edit she made.

Can you please restore her? Thanks!

#962160 - Mon Jan 21 2013 10:17 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Done -- I'll have to see what caused the false positive.

#962161 - Mon Jan 21 2013 10:30 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

PMing you what she wrote in there (she emailed me).

#962171 - Mon Jan 21 2013 11:26 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
Thanks for your assistance! Very glad to be back. Now that I understand what happened, I am sure it won't happen again!

Edited by gracious1 (Mon Jan 21 2013 11:11 PM)

#962432 - Tue Jan 22 2013 03:46 PM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
satguru Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Kingsbury London UK           
Glad you got in, and at least you weren't trying on Internet Explorer as well as that's keeping me out at the moment when I try and use it as I reported a moment ago. Our admins are always on the case once alerted.

UN IPCC

#966676 - Tue Feb 12 2013 03:01 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Now that I have experienced this, may I make a suggestion? Luckily, I had the email address of an administrator who is also my Team Leader, and so I was able to have access restored, but there may be others in the future who are not so fortunate.

What about establishing an email address strictly for reporting when a person is locked out due to inadvertent content that triggers the anti-hacking defenses? It could strictly be for this purpose.

#967063 - Tue Feb 12 2013 09:19 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Or possibly somewhere you can go in as a guest from the first screen to click that says "I'm locked out", then it says "enter name here" and you type your name in, that's it, and it is whisked away to Terry's top priorities, then a message that says "administrators have been notified. Please be patient while we remedy the situation".

Or the email. Whichever. :P

#967098 - Tue Feb 12 2013 04:20 PM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: salami_swami]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Originally Posted By: salami_swami
Or possibly somewhere you can go in as a guest from the first screen to click that says "I'm locked out", then it says "enter name here" and you type your name in, that's it, and it is whisked away to Terry's top priorities, then a message that says "administrators have been notified. Please be patient while we remedy the situation".

Or the email. Whichever. :P

That actually doesn't work when you have a "403 Forbidden" error because what has happened is your IP address has been blocked from accessing the site. Nothing in the domain "funtrivia.com" was accessible.

When this happened, because of some medication I was taking I was not able to leave my home and go to an Internet cafe or a library and log in to the site and ask for help. So I was stuck. Bad timing.

There may be others who are shut-ins or invalids, live in a rural area, have limited mobility or permanent disabilities, lack a car, own only a desktop computer & no laptop or smartphone, etc. -- who also can't leave their homes to get another IP address.

That is why I suggest an email address for when your IP is blocked from accessing "funtrivia.com".

I think it is especially important to provide this service for people who have paid money for a Gold Membership!! There must be some emergency contact available, after all. It's only sensible.

Edited by gracious1 (Tue Feb 12 2013 04:21 PM)

#967104 - Tue Feb 12 2013 04:40 PM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Quote:
That actually doesn't work when you have a "403 Forbidden" error because what has happened is your IP address has been blocked from accessing the site. Nothing in the domain "funtrivia.com" was accessible.

My bad, I thought it was when you logged in that it happened.

So, I guess, scrap my idea. wink

#967111 - Tue Feb 12 2013 05:36 PM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
guitargoddess Offline

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
You might be able to access the Contact Us page as a guest via a proxy server, I had luck with that once.

Also my understanding is that it's a temporary block (24 hours?). It's not quite an "emergency" that everyone really really needs a contact for.

#967123 - Tue Feb 12 2013 07:26 PM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Most regular players also have some way to contact a teammate who will then relay the request - in fact most unblock requests reach us through players' teammates.

#967135 - Tue Feb 12 2013 10:34 PM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Lottie1001 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Westmorland UK
What happens to those players who don't have a team? Are they just denied access for evermore?

#967147 - Wed Feb 13 2013 12:21 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
gtho4 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Sydney oz downunder           
The lockout is a security measure. It lasts 24 hours.

It happened to me last year, twice. The first time I was able to login from work. The second time I watched tv and, gulp, read a book; I think I was also told to go outside and mow the lawns.

#967155 - Wed Feb 13 2013 03:59 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: gtho4]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

It actually went beyond 24 hours for me. I had to get an administrator to intervene for me and request Terry to manually allow me access again. That is why I am suggesting an email address to be provided in case such a thing should happen again to someone who does NOT happen to know an administrator well enough to have his/her email address.

I am really not understanding why I am getting resistance for an idea that I think is simply a basic service to provide -- a means to contact in case of being denied access to the site for more than 24 hours. It makes sense simply to create a mechanism for dealing with this problem.

As I say, there are people who cannot get Internet access outside their home, either temporarily or permanently.

Edited by gracious1 (Wed Feb 13 2013 04:02 AM)

#967156 - Wed Feb 13 2013 04:02 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: gtho4]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: gtho4
The first time I was able to login from work. The second time I watched tv and, gulp, read a book; I think I was also told to go outside and mow the lawns.

you didn't though, George? Did you?? shocked

Edited by Copago (Wed Feb 13 2013 04:02 AM)

#967160 - Wed Feb 13 2013 04:30 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: gracious1]
WesleyCrusher Offline

Administrator

Originally Posted By: gracious1
I am really not understanding why I am getting resistance for an idea that I think is simply a basic service to provide -- a means to contact in case of being denied access to the site for more than 24 hours. It makes sense simply to create a mechanism for dealing with this problem.

Lockouts exceeding the normal period are very rarely false positives. In fact, the only such case I remember was yours.

#967168 - Wed Feb 13 2013 05:57 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I've managed many large websites and indeed player forums and I will tell you, free, gratis, and for nothing that while the people requesting services like that may think they are being perfectly reasonable, they are not the ones who have to deal with the people who subsequently abuse the system. There are idiots everywhere, even on FT. Hard to believe, I know, but true.

Being locked out doesn't happen to many people and it doesn't happen often - what is the point of instituting a system that will require active monitoring if it's going to work while adding yet another avenue for idiots of all ages when all that is required is for the person affected to wait 24 hours and if that doesn't solve the problem, contact a friend who can post a message here?

#967187 - Wed Feb 13 2013 08:33 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: flopsymopsy]
CmdrK Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Nevada USA
Point taken Flopsy, except for your last sentence. Graci's question is still being ignored: what if you don't know anyone to contact?

#967198 - Wed Feb 13 2013 09:23 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
Then presumably you read a book and mow the lawn and talk to your family. smile
And wait 24 hours.

#967200 - Wed Feb 13 2013 09:35 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Come mow my lawn. Though you might have to clear the snow off it first. smile

#967201 - Wed Feb 13 2013 09:36 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Not snowing here, my lawn is mown by guineapig. Takes a while, but they are very thorough.

#967202 - Wed Feb 13 2013 09:41 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

You could always spend that extra time....

Writing a quiz in a Word Document to easily transfer to FunTrivia once you are back in. smile

#967204 - Wed Feb 13 2013 09:54 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
ssabreman Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mesa AZ
And so I have entered the name for an author challenge: A Day in the Life of a Lockout

#967205 - Wed Feb 13 2013 10:12 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

laugh

#967206 - Wed Feb 13 2013 11:02 AM Re: Another member unblock needed [Re: WesleyCrusher]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
I understand the request gracious. The problem is, the last thing you want to give a suspected spammer (and 98% of those locked out really ARE spammers or attempting hackers) is an email address to spam.

Gold members have an email address from paypal that they can mail. I usually read them at least once a day.

My goal is to remove all false positives so that real people just don't get locked out. That has improved a lot -- very few people accidentally get locked out nowadays, although I am always improving it.

Moderator:  Terry