Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#967331 - Thu Feb 14 2013 05:59 AM SNOW DAY ANYONE???
jimhutch13 Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Maryland USA        
Our local school system can't get it right this year...we closed early a couple of weeks ago on a cloudy day because there was a chance of snow in the late afternoon (5-6:00). In the last two weeks we have now gone to school on time twice with snow covered roads ( typically the kiss of death...or at least a delay), including once when three major bus accidents clogged our precious Baltimore Beltway.

Not a great story, but it seems to be typical of a screwed up local government. It could just be the frustration of a teacher who has to face grouchy students today while being a bit grouchy himself, couldn't it?

#967333 - Thu Feb 14 2013 06:20 AM Re: SNOW DAY ANYONE??? [Re: jimhutch13]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
If we have any snow here the whole place grinds to a halt, we had a little bit several weeks ago on a Friday, no school, hardly any buses, everything chaos.

#967336 - Thu Feb 14 2013 06:37 AM Re: SNOW DAY ANYONE??? [Re: jimhutch13]
Tizzabelle Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Living n Sydney, Australia, where it never snows, I can't empathise. My ancestry though is Scandinavian and I have to wonder why snow causes such chaos in so many places but in Scandinavia and Russia, it's business as usual! I can't magine what it would be like if it snowed in Sydney. I suspect a holiday would be declared so we could gaze at it in wonder wink

#967453 - Thu Feb 14 2013 08:15 PM Re: SNOW DAY ANYONE??? [Re: jimhutch13]
argus9 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Winnipeg Manitoba Canada   
We don't usually have snow days here. It would have to bury us before that would happen. However for the schools, it would be the cold that would stop the school buses from running, especially outside the city. If it gets down to minus 30 they don't bus the children in case it breaks down and they are stranded in the cold. The schools stay open though and the teachers have to go to work. I guess if the parents want to they could drive the kids to school.

Edited by argus9 (Thu Feb 14 2013 08:16 PM)

Homer Simpson

#967459 - Thu Feb 14 2013 09:48 PM Re: SNOW DAY ANYONE??? [Re: jimhutch13]
dg_dave Offline
Champion Poster

Loc: Dallas TX USA                 
If we see 1" of snow here in Dallas, everything grinds to a halt, but up north in Minnesota, they can have 6-8" and not close things down. I can remember Super Bowl XLV played at Cowboys Stadium (or as I like to call it: Jerry's Shrine wink ), we saw 2" of snow and about ¼" of ice below that, and temps didn't hit 32°F until Friday that week. That was the last time we had a "snow day" here.

#967494 - Fri Feb 15 2013 05:02 AM Re: SNOW DAY ANYONE??? [Re: jimhutch13]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
When I was young and lived in Southampton snow didn't affect us at all, we just carried on. Here in Jersey it is quite the opposite, we rarely get any so on the occasions when we do most of the locals, and indeed those of us who have been here for many years, cannot handle it.

What doesn't help is that the island slopes from south to north and the heavily built up areas are on the south of the island, as indeed is the town. Our roads are mostly very narrow and have granite walls each side with no pavements (walk areas), most are just about wide enough for a vehicle on each side of the road to pass safely, so long as both are cars. If there is a large vehicle more care has to be taken and often one (the car) will have to back up. Two large vehicles and it could get interesting. If your car starts to slip it could mean either hitting another vehicle or a granite wall, then there is the problem of those twisty hills. If it snows I stay home.

Moderator:  ren33, sue943