Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#779306 - Fri Mar 16 2012 06:28 AM Sick of the song
darksplash Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Tyrone Northern Ireland UK 
Anyone else ever get put off a song by over exposure?

I like The Boss, but having heard "We take care of our own" twice on the same radio station in three hours today - and about a dozen times this week on the station, I tend to think "not again"

Thanks a bunch BBC Radio 2.

#779311 - Fri Mar 16 2012 07:19 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
sisterseagull Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Torquay Devon England UK      
I know exactly what you mean, darksplash and Radio 2 have been guilty of this for more years than I care to remember.

They are often given advance copies of discs by the record companies, sometimes months in advance of the release date. I don't know what the record companies are thinking when they do this but I'm sure it must work against them! There have been a few occasions in the last ten or twelve years where they (Radio 2) have played it to death before it hits the shops - Blondie's song 'Maria' is one that sticks in my memory as is Elton John's 'Are you ready for love'.... They could've been much bigger hits for the bands concerned had Radio 2 not flogged them... There is a sycophantic DJ called Steve Wright - in my opinion, he's the worst offender!

#779401 - Fri Mar 16 2012 03:18 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: sisterseagull]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
I am very sorry if I offend anyone but the opening bars of "I will always lerv Hugh" cause a mad dash for the off switch nowadays.

Edited by ren33 (Sat Mar 17 2012 01:25 AM)

#779402 - Fri Mar 16 2012 03:27 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: sisterseagull]
rogue Offline
Mainstay

The radio was banned at work nearly ten years ago. I never listen to it outside of work. Since I own a fairly large album collection, over exposure of songs is no longer a worry. That said, I'm still burned out on songs from Springsteen's "Born in the USA" album from nearly 28 years ago.

#779603 - Sat Mar 17 2012 07:49 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: rogue]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Honestly, I think some radio stations have a smaller music collection than I do....

There's an oldies station that I can sometimes get which seems to have maybe 100 Greatest Hits CDs and that's it. If I can hear the Zombies play "Time of the Season" three times in two days, and I only listen when driving, there is something deeply wrong.

#784882 - Sun Apr 08 2012 05:41 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: agony]
Christinap Offline
Prolific

Loc: Essex UK
There's an oldies station here that I listen to in the car sometimes. I heard "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" three times in two hours! Now I like Queen, a lot, but they did do other ssongs.

#784891 - Sun Apr 08 2012 06:26 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: Christinap]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
I have always loved the Dolly Parton song "I Will Always Love You". Dolly wrote that song for Porter Wagner AND sang it in the movie "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". When Whitney Houston sang it, it somehow magically became HER song that SHE wrote and EVERY radio station and TV station reporting on Houston's death and autopsy plays it into the ground. I am sick of that song now.

#784899 - Sun Apr 08 2012 06:50 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: ClaraSue]
fredsixties Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Staten Island
New York USA 
I sure would like to hear less of "I Will Survive".

#784909 - Sun Apr 08 2012 07:32 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: fredsixties]
dg_dave Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Dallas, TX USA              
I remember in 1998 or 1999, whenever Britney's hit "Baby One More Time" was played...and played...and played. Thirteen or fourteen years later, I am still sick of that song!

#785369 - Tue Apr 10 2012 12:35 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: Christinap]
Tizzabelle Online   content
Multiloquent

Loc: Sydney NSW Australia         
Originally Posted By: Christinap
There's an oldies station here that I listen to in the car sometimes. I heard "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" three times in two hours! Now I like Queen, a lot, but they did do other ssongs.

There is an FM station in Sydney called WS-FM. I am convinced the FM stands for Fleetwood Mac as they play more Fleetwood Mac than anything else. I don't mind that too much but twice in two hours was too much one day especially in the absence of other great bands/singers. Oh no. Now I've done it! I've put "Don't Stop" into my head... shocked

#794521 - Tue May 15 2012 12:39 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: Tizzabelle]
Sypher Offline

Loc: East London
England UK    
I hate it when you listen to the radio in your car and the last song you heard would be the first song you hear when you go back hours later to drive home.

Radio playlists are not that extensive, which can be seen on their websites but the worst offenders are Music Video channels who seem to have an even shorter playlist with the same video sometimes played two or three times within the same hour. Ahhhhh !!

#794808 - Tue May 15 2012 08:39 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: Sypher]
Copago Offline

Loc: Australia
I listen to podcasts of the Absolute Radio breakfast show and even without hearing the actual song you can hear the last few seconds as thye fade them out. I don't think there's been a day n the last month that they haven't played "Somebody that I used to Know" .. so without even hearing the song I'm sick of it laugh

#794809 - Tue May 15 2012 08:46 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: Sypher]
Tori_2s Offline
Explorer

Loc: Michigan USA
If I die young by the Band Perry.

I actually do love this song but it is played over and over on radio/sirius at work.

To cope with this I sing these lyrics to my coworkers (we are all up there a bit in age):

If I die old bury me in burlap
lay me down on old carnations
sink me in the cesspool at dark
send me away with the words of The Grateful Dead

The actual words are:

If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

#824305 - Mon Sep 17 2012 10:15 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: Tori_2s]
Jazmee27 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Pennsylvania USA
I know the name of the artist, but I *refuse* to say it.

The song I absolutely canot stand, at least the only one that comes to mind at the moment, is "Girlfriend."

I didn't like it the first time I heard it, so wit each repetition it's even worse.

Talk about torture! frown

#824407 - Mon Sep 17 2012 03:27 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: Jazmee27]
george48 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ottawa
  Ontario Canada   
It would have to be the theme songs to all the CSI T.V. shows.
I know they don't play the whole song during the intro, but
listening to 'Who are You?', 'Baba O'Riley' and 'Won't Get Fooled Again',
every time i watch the shows, has ensured i'm so heartily sick of them, to the extent
that i mute the t.v. for the first minute of the show now.
Oh, and AC/DC have decades of songs available, but i rarely hear more then 4 or 5 songs, i curious,
do radio stations get kickbacks for playing the same bloody songs repeatedly?

#967920 - Sun Feb 17 2013 06:12 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Frankly, it's a bit unfair since I'm not a fan of the artist, but Justin Beiber's "Baby" is always playing somewhere...I am absolutely sick of it.

And I used to sort of like Nickelback's "If Today Was Your Last Day"...whenever someone plays it I'm begging them to stop...

And my father is/was a fan of The Carpenters. Playing a song of theirs triggers a sort of volcanic reaction in me. I really tried to like their songs...gave up. Just not my thing.

#967928 - Sun Feb 17 2013 10:18 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Arkansas USA
LOL Be careful Mariamir. As a little boy, my grandmother insisted on watching The Lawrence Welk Show! And we all had to do it (of course there were only 3 channels in those days). I HATED HATED HATED every moment. Now, several eons later, I find myself enjoying LW on PBS on Saturday evening.

I hope to God I never hear "You Light Up My Life" or "My Heart Will Go On" ever again, but if I live another 30 years, I may find myself eating those words.

#967929 - Sun Feb 17 2013 10:21 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

As an extra note: I don't now, nor have I ever sat through more than 3 bars of a Justin Bieber song. I did love the Super Bowl commercial last year with Ozzie and Justin, though.

I am glad the young man has done as well as he has, but I can't even look at him and not see Kim Darby in "True Grit." *snicker*

#967950 - Mon Feb 18 2013 04:03 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
playmate1111 Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: South Africa
Since this became a challenge - The Winner Takes it All - wants to make me throw up!

#967969 - Mon Feb 18 2013 09:22 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: bitterlyold]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: bitterlyold
LOL Be careful Mariamir. As a little boy, my grandmother insisted on watching The Lawrence Welk Show! And we all had to do it (of course there were only 3 channels in those days). I HATED HATED HATED every moment. Now, several eons later, I find myself enjoying LW on PBS on Saturday evening

*Is careful*. Note to self: Find the Fountain of Youth. If I don't, I'll spend the last couple of decades of my life liking The Carpenters. The horror! laugh

Originally Posted By: bitterlyold
Kim Darby in "True Grit"

Lol, I googled her, and totally see what you mean!

Originally Posted By: Jazmee27
*refuse* to say the name of the singer.

What's wrong with Avril Lavigne?

And, Playmate, I actually like "The Winner Takes It All"...if the challenge was any other song, I would detest it, but I really can't dislike that song. smile Maybe I'll change my mind when I don't get the challenge this year, but...

#967996 - Mon Feb 18 2013 11:09 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: dg_dave]
croatoan Offline
Participant

Loc: Louisiana USA
Originally Posted By: dg_dave
I remember in 1998 or 1999, whenever Britney's hit "Baby One More Time" was played...and played...and played. Thirteen or fourteen years later, I am still sick of that song!

I was a Girl Scout at the time Britney got popular and I rememeber when we had to go anywhere in droves, everyone wanted in my car. Once, we turned the radio to find "Baby One More Time" and when it went off, immediately switched stations and found it again. We were considered 'the Britney Spears car' for at least a year afterward, when we all quit the scouts. Surprisingly still love hearing it (or any early Britney song, for that matter) to this day.

Am getting desperately tired of Rihanna's "Diamonds", though. One of those artists I enjoyed initially and then watched as each song became increasingly more annoying. Also, as much as I love Swedish House Mafia, "Don't You Worry Child" is getting heavily overplayed in my area.

#967997 - Mon Feb 18 2013 11:40 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I LOVE "Don't You Worry Child". Of course, it's not overplayed here; I don't listen to the radio stations it appears on. wink

I only HATE three songs.

Dynamite, Taio Cruz
Viva La Vida, Coldplay
Hey Soul Sister, Train

#968001 - Mon Feb 18 2013 11:54 AM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
Jabberwok Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sussex England UK             
I spent 3 months in Belize in 1978.
The local radio station only owned three records: Billy Joel 'She's Always A Woman To Me' Bob Marley 'I wanna love you' and...The Flight of the Bumblebee by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov.
For three months.

#968006 - Mon Feb 18 2013 12:15 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: darksplash]
bitterlyold Offline
Forum Adept

This is why, in my INFINITE WISDOM (did you hear the booming baritone?), I created the 8-Track, cassette, CD, and the "chip." You are all welcome. XM rules!

And I know some of you still have some old 8-tracks gathering dust.....

;-}

#968071 - Mon Feb 18 2013 07:00 PM Re: Sick of the song [Re: bitterlyold]
lesley153 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Bedford England UK           
Here's an iconic moment from an old Laurence Welk show.

"One Toke Over The Line"

I'll be happy if I never hear "Scarlet Ribbons" again.
I appreciate people who are civil, whether they mean it or not. I think: Be civil. Do not cherish your opinion over my feelings. There's a vanity to candor that isn't really worth it. Be kind. ~ Richard Greenberg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher