Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#334342 - Sun Nov 23 2008 04:04 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: lesley153]
guitargoddess Offline
Old Museum Relic

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Quote:

There was no guide to the order required, so I put them in the same order as the clues, and got the words right, but marked wrong for being in the "wrong" order.

Then I checked back to the original quiz, and read the rubric. A whole chunk of it had been removed for the Brain Twist:
"Make sure that the answers are in the order that makes sense, which is not necessarily the order given."
What a difference that would have made if I'd seen it first!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean Lesley, but the full instructions were on the Brain Twist page when I played...

#334343 - Sun Nov 23 2008 05:06 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: guitargoddess]
MaggieG Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wales UK
Well they certainly weren't when I played otherwise I would have known what to do!

#334344 - Sun Nov 23 2008 05:13 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: guitargoddess]
Julia103 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Baltimore Maryland USA       
There's no way to go back into the Brain Twist to check, but I also don't remember seeing that last sentence about what order to put the words.

The problem is for a question like "Annul daze caused by ambrosia". An answer that put the synonym for daze before the synonym for ambrosia was marked wrong. I believe most anagram quizzes allow the words in any order.

#334345 - Sun Nov 23 2008 05:48 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: Julia103]
guitargoddess Offline
Old Museum Relic

Hmm. Maybe it was really quickly changed to include all the instruction? I know for sure the line about putting them in the order that makes sense was there when I played, because I read this thread first before I went to play, so I made a point of looking at the introduction.

#334346 - Mon Nov 24 2008 09:28 AM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: guitargoddess]
crisw Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Jamul
California USA
Yes, I saw the correction notices coming in for that one and added a note. I wasn't aware the database updated to reflect that, so it's a good thing to know.

#968690 - Fri Feb 22 2013 11:53 AM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: agony]
Taln-SG Offline
Participant

Loc: Dallas
Texas USA         
Yes! The wording, not the information, is a problem I encounter several times a week playing the Daily Email Quiz, and it is almost always a sports question. And it is beginning to happen on the Knockout too.

Often the sport is not named in the question or only an acronym is used, but the acronym is not one that is solely applicable to the sport the author is thinking of.

Today there was a scoring question about the "AFL". I have no idea which "AFL" was meant, but it clearly was not the American Football League given the answer used terms not even used in American football - regardless of the league. Maybe Australian Football League? Still could not figure it out, even with the answer!

Whoever the Sports editors are, can you please see that questions specifically indicate the sport? I am tired of ruining otherwise perfect scores because of the question's lack of clarity.

#968694 - Fri Feb 22 2013 12:32 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: Taln-SG]
AdamM7 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Cheshire England UK           
Originally Posted By: Taln-SG
Yes! The wording, not the information, is a problem I encounter several times a week playing the Daily Email Quiz, and it is almost always a sports question. And it is beginning to happen on the Knockout too.

Often the sport is not named in the question or only an acronym is used, but the acronym is not one that is solely applicable to the sport the author is thinking of.

Today there was a scoring question about the "AFL". I have no idea which "AFL" was meant, but it clearly was not the American Football League given the answer used terms not even used in American football - regardless of the league. Maybe Australian Football League? Still could not figure it out, even with the answer!

Whoever the Sports editors are, can you please see that questions specifically indicate the sport? I am tired of ruining otherwise perfect scores because of the question's lack of clarity.

If you try and submit a sport single question, there's a big red message asking you to specify the sport that the question is about. I would imagine this reflects the guidelines for full sport quizzes as well.

That would imply that the questions you keep seeing are quite old, and were written before those guidelines were made. Therefore, the only way they will be changed is if you send a correction report (if you weren't doing so already).

But in Knockout, if you have no idea what sport the question is asking about, your opponent probably doesn't either. That makes it fair and even.

~(_8(I)

#968696 - Fri Feb 22 2013 12:51 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: ladymacb29]
guitargoddess Offline
Old Museum Relic

Each individual question in a full sports quiz won't necessarily give what sport is bring asked about or totally spell out the name of the league if the entire quiz is about the same topic. The quiz title and subcategory which is displayed in most if not all games can often give you the context info you need.

#968697 - Fri Feb 22 2013 01:00 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: ladymacb29]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
It's displayed for all games.

#968708 - Fri Feb 22 2013 03:06 PM Re: Before Sending a Correction... [Re: ladymacb29]
TimBentley Offline
Explorer

Loc: Indiana USA
Recently I remember a question in the Global Challenge which asked what team a player was on. It came from a quiz in the NBA 2000-01 subcategory of NBA By Season, but all that was provided was "Basketball : NBA By Season". Neither the question nor the quiz title mentioned the year, and you can't get the quiz's introductory text. http://www.funtrivia.com/trivia-quiz/Sports/Players-and-Their-Teams-24664.html was the quiz. It's true that Damon Stoudamire never played for the three incorrect answers, however (and I still would have had a 25% chance of getting right if I had the year). I vaguely remember encountering the same issue for an Olympics question.

It appears this is only an issue for the special (sub)categories. It appears it shows the second most specific subcategory. For example, I did the People Themed E-K set, and two questions were in the "Hanks, Tom" and "Ford, Harrison" subcats, and it showed "People Themed E-K" as the subcategory. Another question was in the "Hitchcock Taglines" subcat, and it showed "Hitchcock, Alfred".

The regular categories properly show the most specific subcat as far as I can tell.

Edited by TimBentley (Fri Feb 22 2013 03:11 PM)
Edit Reason: more detail

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  agony, gtho4