Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 9 of 17 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#967568 - Fri Feb 15 2013 03:33 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: Agony on Oct 1
"In Bruges". Definitely not for everyone, but if you like dark humour, and don't mind violence and profanity on the way, this is quite the film.

I just watched it and indeed, it is something else. The only thing I can compare the tenor and story line to is the film presentation of Shakespeare's "Titus (Andronicus)" (1999). It has to be one of the best tragedies to come out in years. Colin Farrell is unbelievable in his quirky performance ("They're filming midgets!" as if it was the greatest thing to ever happen.)
Thank you for mentioning it. This Thread is good for something.
Dale Peters 'Dreaming in the Country' James Gang (1971)

#967633 - Fri Feb 15 2013 11:52 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I just watched some of the Batman movies, "Batman Returns", "Batman & Robin", "Batman Begins", & "The Dark Knight".

I think I like the Tim Burton films best. In this list, I think the only one Tim Burton directed was "Batman Returns". (He also did the first "Batman", but that wasn't on the menu). I certainly prefer the grotesquerie and camp of the Burton/Schumacher films over the really, really dark stuff of the 2000s.

Edited by gracious1 (Sat Feb 16 2013 01:50 AM)

#967646 - Sat Feb 16 2013 04:19 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Santana2002 Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: France
I'm not a huge Tim Burton fan, but I really enjoyed Nightmare before Christmas, and to a lesser extent, The Corpse Bride. Both were kind of crazy but with a message to transmit, the attention to detail was great!

#968079 - Mon Feb 18 2013 08:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
"A Star is Born" the 1937 version with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March.

The Judy Garland/James Mason version of this film is one of my favourites, but this holds up well against it. Janet Gaynor especially is adorable.

I haven't seen the 1976 version of this - is it worth watching?

#968092 - Mon Feb 18 2013 11:22 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Haven't seen any of them (that puts them on the wish list in release order).

"Ashanti" (1979)
Michael Caine, Peter Ustinov, Beverly Johnson, Omar Sharif, Rex Harrison, William Holden
A nice travelogue across equatorial Africa following the route of a modern day slaver and the folks chasing him from the abductions to the sales. It's a shame that this is still an accepted practice in a part of the world that also... well, some of the world just doesn't understand what enlightened means. (Note: use caution if purchasing this on-line. There is another "Ashanti" out there but it is about the singer Ashanti and is just a music video. I found out and now own a copy of it.)

#968144 - Tue Feb 19 2013 12:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
The most recent film I watched was....

Escape From Planet Earth.

I enjoyed it. smile

#968146 - Tue Feb 19 2013 12:34 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
I had a few days in hospital last week and managed to watch two films I'd missed when they were released - Bridesmaids and One Day. I laughed my way through one and cried at the other - a perfect pairing!

Anne Hathaway's English accent wasn't bad either.

#968148 - Tue Feb 19 2013 01:13 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Mariamir Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Ontario Canada
The last film I saw was Laws of Attraction. It was hilarious, especially the court scenes...and when the divorce lawyers were arguing as if they were the ones getting the divorce. Juliannne Moore was a very convincing Audrey Wood. Pierce Brosnan was...um, hmm...rather soppy (although very funny) compared to when he was James Bond.

Also rewatched snippets of Step Up 3D, which never gets old for me. smile

#968149 - Tue Feb 19 2013 02:06 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

Salami_Swami, you might enjoy a similar animated effort of '07 done in 3D imagery called

"Battle for Terra".

In this the humans are the invaders of a planet populated by a peaceful race with a hidden history. Some of the voice actors you may recognize: Evan Rachel Wood, Justin Long, Luke Wilson, Dennis Quaid, Amanda Peet, Chris Evans and James Garner.

#968881 - Sat Feb 23 2013 06:18 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

"Breezy"
(1973)
William Holden and Kay Lenz
This was Clint Eastwood's third stint directing (after "Play Misty for Me" and "High Plains Drifter"). I really enjoyed this movie (yes, it took me back to the days of hippy hitchhiking, floppy leather hats, bell bottom jeans and scrounging quarters for a cup of coffee). It is the inverse of the Lolita story. In this one a young teen girl falls in love with a 50-ish man. The story is about her struggle to get him to accept her love. Eastwood may have made a mistake by not loading it up with the music of the era. There is certainly opportunity to use tunes. But I think this is one example where his stick to schedule and budget held the finished product back.
My enjoyment wasn't hindered by the striking resemblence between Lenz at this age and Valerie Quennessen just a few short years later. Their presence on screen is almost identical in expression, demeanor and line delivery. I am now on a quest to expose myself (in a legal sense) to as much Lenz as I can. Her listing in IMdB is at 107 roles over 50 years!

#969015 - Sun Feb 24 2013 08:46 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

"The Three Worlds of Gulliver" (1960) - Kerwin Mathews, June Thorburn
(featuring Ray Harryhausen animation and cinematographic techniques)

This one tears me between enjoyment for the Ray part and being aghast at the liberties taken with the Swift tale. In researching the background, I found that June Thorburn died in 1967, almost 50 yrs ago! That certainly dates this effort.

Edited by mehaul (Sun Feb 24 2013 08:47 PM)

#969024 - Sun Feb 24 2013 11:17 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

"Blithe Spirit" (1945)

A little too silly for my taste, but I'll forgive anything because of Margaret Rutherford's performance as Madame Arcati - it's delightful.

#969132 - Mon Feb 25 2013 09:23 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Anger Management, Adam Sandler.

It wasn't as good as I hoped.

#969143 - Mon Feb 25 2013 11:37 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Jakeroo Offline
Prolific

Loc: Alberta Canada
Loved "In Bruges" (but then, I'm quite quirky lol)

Agony: Unless you're a big fan of BARbara or Kris, don't bother. The original will always be the best.

Hubby bought the most recent Bond flick. Weird how they tried to amalgamate the old characters into an era 30 years later, but entertaining just the same. My favourite Bond (aside from the inimitable Connery) is STILL Timothy Dalton though. Under-rated actor in general, never mind just his Bond movie. Best Heathcliff ever in my opinion.

#969144 - Mon Feb 25 2013 11:43 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

I don't mind Kris, but I can't really stand Barbra, so I think I'll give it a pass, then.

#969183 - Tue Feb 26 2013 04:41 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
Snugg Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: N.S.W. Australia
Red Dawn - 2012 remake.

#969814 - Fri Mar 01 2013 08:10 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

"The Watchmen - The Complete Motion Comic"
All voiced by one person, this unique animation style is quite entertaining! It looks mostly like a comic book but the figures have some parts that move and the text balloons move to help give some perspective to the 2D art. This is the graphic novel story the live action movie "The Watchmen" was based on. There are 12 half hour episodes.

"Amazon Women on the Moon" - a campy adult sketch comedy film strung together out of many appearances by up and coming comic actors of the early 80s and some old pros (one scene has Rip Taylor, Slappy White, Jackie Vernon, Steve Allen, Henny Youngman and George Callas). This shows that some comedy is just timely and loses its bite in time and some is the opposite, timeless, and still amuses even thirty years in the future. Spoiler alert: ....We save two of the Amazon Women!

#970013 - Sun Mar 03 2013 01:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
"Key Largo" (1948) Directed by John Huston.

Wow! I finally see what all the fuss about! Not only do you have Lauren Bacall, Humphrey Bogart, Edward G. Robinson, and Lionel Barrymore all in one movie, you have a really tight, exciting plot and a story that touches one some very important themes about heroism and survival. I can't believe I've never seen this one before! It's not really film noir (even though I see it described as such in some places), but it has some really dark psychology suffused through it.

Definitely recommend this one. Can't believe it wasn't nominated for Best Picture or that the stars didn't get something for their performances. Only Claire Trevor won an Oscar, for Best Supporting Actress as the gun moll Gaye Dawn.

#970180 - Sun Mar 03 2013 09:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

"Tin Man" (an '07 SyFy mini-series released as a 4.5 hr DVD)
with: Zooey Deschanel, Neal McDonough, Alan Cumming, Raoul Trujillo, Kathleen Robertson, and Richard Dreyfuss
The cast alone makes this a good watch. What's it about? It is an imaginative retelling of some of the content of L. Frank Baum's work which is so much more than the '39 movie presented. It isn't a musical. It does have a lot of CGI content (the bonus material says there are over 1,500 generated images!). I guess a real fan of Baum enjoys all the attempts to bring his ideas forward. I think this ranks up there with "The Wiz" in enjoyment. It certainly has whet my whistle to seeing the upcoming "Oz the Great and Powerful".

#970256 - Mon Mar 04 2013 09:25 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: mehaul]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
'It's a Good Day to Die Hard' - not as good as the last one because it really is over the top. But if you like extended car chases and things blowing up, you will enjoy this.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#970263 - Mon Mar 04 2013 10:21 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
agony Offline

Administrator

We really liked "Tin Man" at our house - we have been Oz fans for years. My daughter read every Oz book two or three times.

#970425 - Tue Mar 05 2013 10:37 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

I watched "Singing In the Rain" again the other day. It's still as good as it was when I first saw it. smile We all quoted the entire movie....

#970526 - Wed Mar 06 2013 12:42 AM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

"Super Capers" - Justin Whalin, Danielle Harris, Christine Lakin, Michael Rooker, Doug Jones, Ray Griggs (=Director too), Samuel LLoyd, Adam West

Funny movie with a lot of Christian Comedy. The hero, played by Whalin (of fame for being Jimmy Olsen across from Dean Cain's and Terry Hatcher's roles as "Lois and Clark ..."), searching for his superpower, discovers that while others have super minds, can freeze things or have other super strengths, his turns out to be the power of prayer. He asks God to do damage to his evil opponents! And God comes through. Then other funny stuff happens. It was made with a lot of campy comic hero homages.

Edit to add: I forgot to mention that one of Hollywood's hardest and longest working character actors, Clint Howard, plays a major role in the first act of the movie. Any film with him in it is worth watching.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Mar 06 2013 12:55 AM)

#970641 - Wed Mar 06 2013 01:05 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
papo2228 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Buenos Aires Argentina       
I saw for the twenty fifth time The Alamo ( John Wayne's version ) and I enjoyed it a lot. I even know some dialogs by heart. Superb performances by John Wayne a Steve MacQueen.

#970659 - Wed Mar 06 2013 02:24 PM Re: The last film you watched ... [Re: Chavs]
mehaul Offline
Multiloquent

A suspenseful thriller from Alfred Hitchcock:

"Dial M for Murder"
Ray Milland, Grace Kelly, Bob Cummings, John Williams(actor), Anthony Dawson

You know the whole story as it unfolds, no mystery, but Hitchcock manages to keep you riveted to the goings on. Trivial note: the four lead characters all have double consonants in their last names! (Leo Britt and Patrick Allen were also in the cast) How did Dawson get in there?

Page 9 of 17 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  ladymacb29, SilverMoonsong