Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#970277 - Mon Mar 04 2013 12:09 PM Team Quizzes
Play3Away Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Hi,
I am interested in the team quizzes but cannot find any info on how the quiz is scored or how each team member is scored for contributing. Does each member get points or only the main team leader? How does each member contribute? Do they submit a question on the forum posts or can they submit themselves?
Where can I find more info on team quizzes?
Thanx,
Play

#970283 - Mon Mar 04 2013 12:43 PM Re: Team Quizzes [Re: Play3Away]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Only the member who hosts the quiz gets points.

An author must have a certain number of quizzes online before being allowed to host - I think it is five, but I might be wrong on that.

Authors who are able to host team quizzes have a box they can tick on the quiz template that sets the quiz up as a team effort. Ticking this box automatically opens a thread that other members of the team can access to put their questions in.

#970285 - Mon Mar 04 2013 12:48 PM Re: Team Quizzes [Re: Play3Away]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Sorry, the box that you tick in order to select a team quiz comes up before the template is created.

Most teams start a thread on their team message board to discuss the quiz, and if any of the team members are a little shy of accessing the template themselves, or are not too computer savvy, they can post questions there and the host can move them over into the template.

Basically, once the template is created, all the rest is reasonably user friendly and self explanatory.

One thing - the host is ultimately responsible for the quiz, for making sure corrections get made, etc. It's worth the host's while to shepherd the quiz a bit, especially if some team members are totally inexperienced. Warn them against plagiarism, make sure they check their English, let them know their info section is inadequate, that sort of thing.

#970311 - Mon Mar 04 2013 03:28 PM Re: Team Quizzes [Re: Play3Away]
Play3Away Offline
Learning the ropes...

Loc: Massachusetts USA
Thanx Agony!
I like the idea but not that each member contributing doesn't get points, or the team as a whole?
It doesn't seem fair that only the project leader gets points. That defeats the concept of a TEAM project, it should be called the Project Leader quiz then.
Sorry but I don't see the point of the team not getting credit.

#970321 - Mon Mar 04 2013 04:01 PM Re: Team Quizzes [Re: Play3Away]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Each contributor gets recognition in each individual question, and the quiz has a team designation on it to show that it was created by the team.

The few bonus points given is simply a quiz-creator bonus. If the member creates the quiz, yes, all players may contribute, that is certain. However, as agony stated, they have the corrections to attend to, as well as any player messages that may arise. The author of the quiz itself gets the few bonus points as a small reward, so to speak.

It's been brought up before, not feeling it fair for the author to get the 2,000 points and not the entire team, but as both a quiz-author and a team-quiz contributor, I can tell you it's definitely harder to be the author, and a reward for heading a team quiz, which can become extremely difficult and frustrating at times, is appreciated.

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#970322 - Mon Mar 04 2013 04:23 PM Re: Team Quizzes [Re: Play3Away]
flopsymopsy Offline

Loc: Northampton England UK      
You need to write the author's name into each Interesting Info, it won't do that automatically. We do it for two reasons - firstly so that everyone knows whose question it was and secondly if any corrections come in the "Quiz Manager" knows who to blame ask. wink

It does sound a bit unfair that one person gets the points but remember they're the person who has to make sure the quiz complies with guidelines, deal with the Editor, make corrections, etc. Plus anyone with five quizzes online can start a Team Quiz so the task, and points, can be rotated so different people get their turn. And really, 2,000 points isn't much.

#970329 - Mon Mar 04 2013 05:23 PM Re: Team Quizzes [Re: Play3Away]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Where would any "team as a whole" Points be added?

Edited by mehaul (Mon Mar 04 2013 05:26 PM)

The ultimate activity is the Dream.

#970340 - Mon Mar 04 2013 07:08 PM Re: Team Quizzes [Re: Play3Away]
postcards2go Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York City USA
I have contributed to all of my team's quizzes, and have never felt that *I* should get credit.

If you really need FT credit for a question, then contributing to the 'New Questions' would be the way to go.

Contributing to a team quiz is a different type of 'glory'.

Moderator:  agony, gtho4