Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#970345 - Mon Mar 04 2013 07:35 PM Re: Greatest Rock Guitarist of All-Time? [Re: einsteinII]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Holy Crow! I just realized no one had mentioned David Gilmour!

#994740 - Fri Jul 05 2013 07:05 AM Re: Greatest Rock Guitarist of All-Time? [Re: einsteinII]
Daaanieeel Offline
Forum Adept

Loc: Perth WA Australia           
Have to put up Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead. Not the greatest, but he is up there.

#994887 - Sat Jul 06 2013 06:42 AM Re: Greatest Rock Guitarist of All-Time? [Re: Daaanieeel]
Dalgleish Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Brisbane Queensland Australia
Can't remember where I heard it, but I remember that a respected source said that the greatest guitarists were the ones for whom the guitar was an extension of their soul and personality. They should be instantly recognisable.

Based on this, my vote goes to Carlos Santana.

#1028304 - Wed Jan 01 2014 11:52 AM Re: Greatest Rock Guitarist of All-Time? [Re: einsteinII]
MadameGuvnor Offline
Participant

Tomas Ledin gets my vote.

#1028337 - Wed Jan 01 2014 04:58 PM Re: Greatest Rock Guitarist of All-Time? [Re: einsteinII]
lazer58 Offline
Participant

I like Joe Bonnamassa, his blues riffs are among the best to be heard today. He's played with rocks, blues, and jazz gratest singers and guitar players.

#1028352 - Wed Jan 01 2014 08:52 PM Re: Greatest Rock Guitarist of All-Time? [Re: einsteinII]
mehaul Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown, Brian May of Queen, Bob Dylan (more folk than rock?), Mark Knopfler, Tom Petty, Arlo Guthrie (folk again), BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Duane Allman, Mark Farner of Grand Funk, Neil Young and the Wilson Sisters of Heart should all appear on a top twenty guitarists ballot. George Harrison and Sir Paul weren't too bad on it either.

Edited by mehaul (Wed Jan 01 2014 08:54 PM)

#1028388 - Thu Jan 02 2014 05:30 AM Re: Greatest Rock Guitarist of All-Time? [Re: einsteinII]
MadameGuvnor Offline
Participant

I also like Peter Green, Joe Satriani, Bruce Springsteen, Hank Marvin and Tony Hicks.

#1028413 - Thu Jan 02 2014 10:43 AM Re: Greatest Rock Guitarist of All-Time? [Re: einsteinII]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Since some have strayed a little from Rock, I am going to vote for Chet Atkins. His "signature" picking style put him right up there as one of the best in Country, Rock and Roll, Folk, and Rockabilly. He was known as "Mr. Guitar" and "The Country Gentleman." At one point in his youth, he lived in Georgia and attended Mountain Hill School in a small town near where I now live. He was of Grand Ole Opry fame and helped promote the "Nashville Sound."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  SilverMoonsong, Sypher