Rules: Read Me!
Admin: sue943
Legal / Conditions of Use

Topic Options
#973203 - Wed Mar 20 2013 04:13 AM New Question Quiz
mask100 Offline
Explorer

Loc: Pakistan
If I asked "Name the Character in Hannah Montana who had a photographic memory and is highly intelligent?" It's a question from an American made sitcom. Would this question be acceptable for the New Question Game?

#973209 - Wed Mar 20 2013 05:30 AM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: mask100]
froggyx Offline
Explorer

Loc: Greater Manchester England UK

Hannah Montana questions should be allowed, as this show is popular internationally.
I submitted a Hannah Montana question myself and it got accepted, and although about 90% got the answer correct, people didn't really like the question and rated it down.

#973211 - Wed Mar 20 2013 05:45 AM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: mask100]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Ottawa Ontario Canada         
Originally Posted By: mask100
If I asked "Name the Character in Hannah Montana who had a photographic memory and is highly intelligent?" It's a question from an American made sitcom. Would this question be acceptable for the New Question Game?

Having never seen "Hannah Montana" and not editing in Television...
I would say that questions about popular TV shows are probably allowed. Unless, of course, it has already been asked! In this case, it would depend on if this is a recurring character, and if these are traits that are commonly known about him/her. If the character is a one-time cameo, then the question would be better suited to a full quiz about the show. Likewise, if this is an obscure fact about a regular character that is only revealed on one episode, this is probably not a suitable question for a single question submission.

I'd also like to point out two things about your question. First, it's not phrased as a question so it should not end with a question mark. Also, please everyone remember that questions (versus statements) are the preferred format for single question submissions.

Edited by LadyCaitriona (Wed Mar 20 2013 05:47 AM)

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#973221 - Wed Mar 20 2013 07:12 AM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
guitargoddess Offline

I'd likely accept that question, yes. I'm not very familiar with the show either but it does seem to be a fairly general question about the show. I'd venture to say that it'd probably still be a blind guess for most people (except perhaps anyone with a 10 year old daughter), it's really not overly specific, assuming its a regular character. I wouldn't necessarily expect it to do very well in the NQG but I'd let it go through to let players decide.

I'd suggest maybe giving extra info in the question to help answer, like perhaps a more concrete description of the character, who he is (e.g. Hannah's friend, brother, back up dancer?) or who plays him. This could help a few more people get the correct answer and may lead people to consider it a better question for rating purposes

#973241 - Wed Mar 20 2013 09:46 AM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
I am familiar with the show, and I cannot think of the answer. Haha. I can't wait to see it in the New Question Game, so I can discover the answer. wink

#973262 - Wed Mar 20 2013 01:54 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
Originally Posted By: LadyCat
I'd also like to point out two things about your question. First, it's not phrased as a question so it should not end with a question mark.

Right on!

Editors should not (IMHO) accept imperative (Name...) statements as satisfactory in a venture asking for a question.
Mask100, you could easily pose the same thing as a question by changing it to "Who is the character in...?"

#973266 - Wed Mar 20 2013 02:00 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: mehaul]
LadyCaitriona Offline
Forum Champion

Originally Posted By: mehaul

Editors should not (IMHO) accept imperative (Name...) statements as satisfactory in a venture asking for a question.
Mask100, you could easily pose the same thing as a question by changing it to "Who is the character in...?"

In full quizzes authors have a lot more leeway in how they would like to present "questions" (which are occasionally statements, but you get the idea). The goal for single questions is to be a straightforward as possible, which makes questions preferred.

I have been accepting statements ("Name...") in single questions, but always with a note to the author reminding him or her that questions are preferred.

Editor for Humanities and Movies

#973276 - Wed Mar 20 2013 03:02 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: LadyCaitriona]
skunkee Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Burlington Ontario Canada  
IMO there is nothing wrong with 'Name it...' type questions.
The need to include actual questions was added (to quizzes, before the individual question game existed) to make sure there was no confusion about what was expected if the questions were selected for inclusion in the daily/hourly games. Before that we used to allow quizzes where the instructions were only given in the Introduction. The onset of all the games created a few problems as players did not like losing the time it took for them to figure out what was expected.
While not an actual question 'Name it...' type questions leave little room for doubt about what is expected.

"To insult someone we call him 'bestial'. For deliberate cruelty and nature, 'human' might be the greater insult." - Isaac Asimov

#973281 - Wed Mar 20 2013 03:48 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
I've got no problem with the "Name it..." type of questions, either. The point is clarity, not arbitrary distinctions.

#973285 - Wed Mar 20 2013 04:07 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
mehaul Online   content
Forum Champion

Loc: Florida USA
The instructions (we're talking Single Questions) state to submit questions. The "Name..." statement isn't even polite. If it was posed "Could you please name..." or even "Please name..." that might not connote the abusive form of saying simply "Name..." and be acceptable. The form being discussed is out of brow-beating gutteral English. Remember your 5th grade teacher who just demanded you write answers to his verbal questions. The manner of presentation is off-putting at least, dictatorial at worst, but never rises to the level of being a polite question.

#973286 - Wed Mar 20 2013 04:33 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: mehaul]
guitargoddess Offline

Originally Posted By: mehaul
The instructions (we're talking Single Questions) state to submit questions.

In the context of this website, a 'question' is not literally an inquiry formulated with a question mark at the end. It may be and usually is the case, but "Name the..." statements are considered 'questions' too. And to call a simple directive like "Name the star of Movie X" an "abusive form" or even demanding is frankly ridiculous. Proper questions with question marks aren't necessarily 'polite' either and there isn't a requirement that they need be other than the general requirement not to use profanity or name calling, etc.

#973295 - Wed Mar 20 2013 05:31 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
spanishliz Online   FT-cool
Star Poster

Loc: Ontario Canada
I'm also quite happy to accept "Name it...." style 'questions' and see nothing abusive or demanding about them. Sometimes such a statement is more clear and concise than a question.

I'd also like to point out that if one asks "could you please name" or "can you name", the only appropriate answers are either "Yes (I could/can)" or "No (I can't)". Such forms should be avoided in QQ and quizzes alike.

#973296 - Wed Mar 20 2013 05:47 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: spanishliz]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: spanishliz

I'd also like to point out that if one asks "could you please name" or "can you name", the only appropriate answers are either "Yes (I could/can)" or "No (I can't)". Such forms should be avoided in QQ and quizzes alike.

I always scream and hurl abuse at my monitor when I see questions like those. And "Do you know the name of..." Yep, I certainly do. "How do you spell...?" Like this but I know it's wrong. Oh, you want to know how I should spell it? Well, why didn't you say?

#973298 - Wed Mar 20 2013 06:02 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: flopsymopsy]
abechstein Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Athens Georgia USA            
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
I always scream and hurl abuse at my monitor when I see questions like those. And "Do you know the name of..." Yep, I certainly do. "How do you spell...?" Like this but I know it's wrong. Oh, you want to know how I should spell it? Well, why didn't you say?

I must say that my reaction is the same to those sorts of questions. They drive me up the wall...

#973302 - Wed Mar 20 2013 06:26 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
I don't like them either but I won't reject them if they state an expectation of the player. As Agony said, it's about clarity. This is why you're allowed to rate them down, of course.

What I do reject are "questions" with no indication of what's going on. Stuff along the lines of "I am an actress from such-and-such show. I was born in 1983." Unless a question is asked of the player or the instruction is spelled out I'll send it back.

Edited by kyleisalive (Wed Mar 20 2013 06:36 PM)

#973308 - Wed Mar 20 2013 07:20 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
Terry Offline

Head Honcho

Loc: USA
Q: "I am an actress from such-and-such show. I was born in 1983."

A: "Good for you!"

#973309 - Wed Mar 20 2013 07:26 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: Terry]
kyleisalive Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Toronto, Canada, eh!
Originally Posted By: Terry
Q: "I am an actress from such-and-such show. I was born in 1983."

A: "Good for you!"

This is exactly what I think.

Worse yet are the questions asking "Do you know who I am?"
Usually I think to myself "No."
Imagine my confusion when it's a multiple choice question and not Y/N.

#973312 - Wed Mar 20 2013 07:46 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: kyleisalive]
flopsymopsy Offline
Multiloquent

Loc: Northampton England UK      
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive

I usually think "Bet you don't know who I am either."

#973321 - Wed Mar 20 2013 08:35 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: oldbookshop]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Personally, that doesn't bother me in the least. It's just people trying to inject a little variety in the way they word their questions.

#973401 - Thu Mar 21 2013 06:38 AM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: mask100]
guitargoddess Offline

If its going to be that style of question I'd much rather see "Who am I?" or "Which character am I?" than "Do you know who I am?"

#973535 - Thu Mar 21 2013 06:08 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: flopsymopsy]
ladymacb29 Offline

Loc: The Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted By: flopsymopsy
Originally Posted By: kyleisalive

I usually think "Bet you don't know who I am either."

I don't like these because technically, the correct answer would be yes or no depending upon the player's ability.

Editor for Television Category

#973548 - Thu Mar 21 2013 07:45 PM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: Terry]
gracious1 Offline
Mainstay

Loc: New York USA
I am so tempted to write a quiz now like this...

"I played Henry II in two movies. I was born in 1932. Can you guess who I am?"
Yes
No

laugh

Edited by gracious1 (Thu Mar 21 2013 07:46 PM)

#973666 - Fri Mar 22 2013 11:51 AM Re: New Question Quiz [Re: mask100]
JanIQ Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Antwerp
Belgium
Maybe someone would have to answer "No, I didn't need to guess. I knew it right from the start."

Moderator:  agony, gtho4