Rules
Terms of Use

Topic Options
#972750 - Sat Mar 16 2013 02:36 PM Interview with Quiz_Beagle
Pagiedamon Offline

Loc: North Carolina USA
Pagiedamon
Please tell us a little about yourself. Married, in a relationship, or single? Kids? Pets?

Wow, the tough ones first, eh? ;-) Okay, still single - have had some very happy long-term relationships, engaged twice, but not caught (yet?). No children. A single gerbil (Autumn), my Basenji boy (Butu) and a girl Basenji arriving in about a week...

stuthehistoryguy
You've been one of our most congenial players for a long time - I'm a big fan of the "Happy Beagle Dance." What have been some of your outstanding exchanges with fellow quiz players and authors?

Thanks, Stu! I'd like to believe that I had a great relationship with the late (and much lamented) socalmiguel, and that uglybird and I are still friends, but I have enjoyed so many other great cyber relationships on this site that I am loath to list them in case I leave someone out! In real life, solan_goose and I are great friends.

Pagiedamon
You have been a FunTrivia member since 2006. What keeps you around?

Quizzing - playing, writing and interacting about them. Plus, I'm still hanging on for that Lucky Duck! ;-)

stuthehistoryguy
You're a big Terry Pratchett fan. He's always been a favorite in rarefied internet circles, but I've never read him. Take a moment to evangelize: why should the average well-read netizen engage this author's work?

Only a moment?! Well, I truly believe Terry has something for every intelligent, literate human on this planet! Now, Stu, I know that you are a fan of vampires (and are well-versed in the lore of same), so I would recommend that you start with 'Carpe Jugulum'...Terry makes me laugh, cry, and never finish a book without a feeling of regret that I have reached the end - there are very few authors I feel that about...

zorba_scank
We first started 'talking' through your 'Discworld' quizzes. Who is your favourite character from the 'Discworld' series and why?

Gosh - like asking who your favourite child is ;-) I, like most of his readers, adore Death. He is so witty, erudite, dry, but with very human (if he will forgive me...) failings. I also love Angua and Tiffany and Adora Belle Dearheart who are all stunningly strong women, but I guess my favourite could be Gaspode the Wonder Dog - if only I could figure out a way to make the costume...

zorba_scank
At various points you have been quite active in different areas of the site (quiz writing and the author lounge, chain games, the photo forums). Which is your favourite part of this site?

My favourite used to be the live quizzes, meeting people and quizzing - what could be better? At this very moment? Hanging out with, contributing to and helping my team (QMG)...an arm injury has taken me off the site for a while...but (Arnie Voice) "I'll Be Back"!

Pagiedamon
When you're not on FunTrivia, what are you doing? What's your occupation?

I love my job! I'm a dog whisperer, and to help someone that is in tears, thinking that they might have to give their much-loved dog up because of their behaviour, and to leave them both happy - doesn't get much better than that! I also play a *lot* (probably too many) of computer games (hidden object, dice and scrabble-types) online. I'm also into a lot of AmDram - acting, directing and I've just started writing. I'm also doing an OU degree.

stuthehistoryguy
What is the most meaningful thing to happen to you in the last five years?

Leaving the Civil Service after 31 years and becoming a dog behaviourist.

Pagiedamon
What are you most hoping for in the next five years?

To get a house (I live in a flat) with a garden/yard for the dog(s) and maybe doing some more travel - another safari, snorkelling in Bonaire, a bungee jump somewhere spectacular - and maybe to win a national/international quiz...to direct another play...to have a great, meaty role...and to get a decent degree.

stuthehistoryguy
You've hinted that you're quite the cook. Is this true? If so (or not), what are some of your favorite cuisines and how did you come to appreciate them?

It is true. I love Thai food, and Lebanese. I also really enjoy cooking new things - if you can read, you can cook! I was a *very* picky eater as a child, and have really expanded my taste buds as an adult. I love flavours - not terribly keen on sauces, I'd prefer to savour the food...

zorba_scank
Tell us one quirky habit of yours that we don't know yet.

I don't suck or crunch Maltesers - I nibble the chocolate off. I've also been known to eat toffees with the wrapper on - and I like nibbling burnt match heads.

Pagiedamon
What is your worst trait? smile

Smoking? Or procrastination? Given a deadline, I tend to leave it right up to the line (or, in my words "I work best under pressure...")

zorba_scank
If you were offered an all-expenses paid two-week vacation, which place(s) would you choose to visit and why?

I think Bonaire. An island in the Dutch Antilles, it is reputed to have the best snorkelling in the world. Or, given I have a little dog, somewhere where he could go and run about uninhibited...

Pagiedamon
What is one of your favorite quotes?

(This is from memory, so please don't harangue me if I get it wrong...) "Somewhere, at the top of the forest, a boy and his bear will always be playing".

stuthehistoryguy
So, what's it like being a TV star?

Way cool! Given the fact that I normally look like a derelict, but do make the effort when I'm on TV (and the make-up ladies are geniuses!), I don't get recognised that much, but I am always delighted when I am. Funnily enough, having been on BBC4, BBC2 and BBC1, I am most often recognised for my BBC4 appearances, even though it supposedly has the smallest audience of the three...

Thanks for all the questions - I enjoyed answering them!

Thanks to everyone who participated.

#972760 - Sat Mar 16 2013 05:24 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
ren33 Offline

Loc: Fanling
  Hong Kong      
Once again, a fascinating interview and many thanks. Could I ask, since I now call Gloucester my home in England, are you Glos born and bred?

#972797 - Sun Mar 17 2013 12:28 AM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
salami_swami Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Colorado USA
Nibbling burned matches... Peculiar.

But I nibble chocolate off maltesers too. wink

HAPPY BEAGLE DANCE! The best dace.

Edited by salami_swami (Sun Mar 17 2013 12:28 AM)

Editor: Video Games, Entertainment

#972817 - Sun Mar 17 2013 11:37 AM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
agony Offline

Administrator

Loc: Western Canada
Yeah, that's the way I eat Maltesers, too.

Great interview.

#972822 - Sun Mar 17 2013 12:19 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: ren33]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Loc: Gloucestershire UK
@ren33. 'Fraid not - I'm originally from Yorkshire (Flamborough on the East coast...)

#972846 - Sun Mar 17 2013 06:48 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Oh, and thank you all for the kind remarks - good questions make a good interview! ;-)

#973114 - Tue Mar 19 2013 04:21 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Question for you: my dog (a beagle mix, it turns out) has a habit of gulping down his water as fast as he can, then regurgitating it a minute or so later. How might this situation be remedied?

#973223 - Wed Mar 20 2013 07:50 AM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
Snowman Offline
Prolific

Loc: London England UK            
Firstly, QB, a note of public thanks for being the person who championed my invitation to the QMG and thereby helped improve my quizzes no end. I still am very appreciative of the backing you gave me.

Secondly a question on your TV exploits - my wife often suggests to me that I should go on a TV quiz show or two but I've always shied away for fear that my nerves would get the better of me. Did you have any nerves at performing in the studio environment or was it all as comfortable as the snug at your local pub quiz?

#973238 - Wed Mar 20 2013 09:25 AM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
sue943 Offline

Administrator

Loc: Jersey Channel Islands        
Excellent interview.

#973278 - Wed Mar 20 2013 03:11 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Stu - (I dunno, free consultations!) - there are a number of products on the market, such as dog fountains and no-gulp bowls...I would check the water isn't too cold for him and a quick trip to the vets to check that he hasn't got any phyical reasons dor this...could be a hernia. The other thing that I would try is standing over him and removing the water every time he tries to speed up the gulping, making him sit, then giving it back. Oh, some tall dogs find it easier to drink/eat if their food/drink is on a raised platform. Otherwise, try a no-gulp bowl. Can't rcommend one, as I haven't used one. HTH

#973279 - Wed Mar 20 2013 03:13 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
Quiz_Beagle Offline
Mainstay

Snowman - there is nothing that would make 'Mastermind' any less terrifying! However, I find that everyone is used to nervous contestants and really try to give you an excellent day. And if you need a team mate, give me a shout!

#973539 - Thu Mar 21 2013 06:46 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
stuthehistoryguy Offline
Prolific

Loc: Omaha Nebraska USA      
Thanks, QB!

#974324 - Tue Mar 26 2013 12:03 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
ClaraSue Offline
Forum Champion

Loc: Arizona USA
Great interview!

#974467 - Tue Mar 26 2013 10:57 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
zorba_scank Offline
Prolific

Loc: Mumbai India
Thanks, QB! That was fun. smile

#975071 - Fri Mar 29 2013 03:19 PM Re: Interview with Quiz_Beagle [Re: Pagiedamon]
MadMartha Offline
Star Poster

Loc: Georgia USA
Very good interview Quiz Beagle! I've been around this site for a long time but don't stay long each day. Don't think I've really gotten to know many folks, so I'll just say how nice it has been to finally "meet" you! smile

Moderator:  Pagiedamon, rossian, sue943